• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offensive Line

Youngfan9886

Board Nightmare
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it just me or is this the worst O-line we've had in 5 years? I expected rust from Boone and it hurts with A-Davis out but we are getting blown up every pass. Even Staley got beat for a quick sack today, he barely got a hand on the guy. Our run game was better, but eagles run defense sucks. Az and Sea are #3 and #4 in run defense and we did nothing against the cardinals. I'm starting to think we are going to be 10-6 and miss the playoffs.

PaythePiper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always been a little overrated. Staley is playing like shit this season

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
yep, the O-line is playing very inconsistently on pass protect. Staley was ok till yesterday, Iupati, Looney, and Martin are all inconsistent. don't know about Kilgore but since some of that pressure comes from the middle, can't help assume he isn't stout enough?

the problem is opponents know they're struggling with pass protect, so they'll continue doing what Arizona and Philadelphia were doing. they will crowd the line and mix up the blitzes, the O-line will not know who's coming and will have breakdowns.

we have no choice but to lean run.

and getting off tangent.........at this pace I wouldn't worry about re-signing Iupati and Crabtree. not saying don't want them at all, but wouldn't feel pressured to meet their numbers.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it just me or is this the worst O-line we've had in 5 years? I expected rust from Boone and it hurts with A-Davis out but we are getting blown up every pass. Even Staley got beat for a quick sack today, he barely got a hand on the guy. Our run game was better, but eagles run defense sucks. Az and Sea are #3 and #4 in run defense and we did nothing against the cardinals. I'm starting to think we are going to be 10-6 and miss the playoffs.

its not the top line like the last couple of years. Boone and ipuati not playing great and we have a back up RT and our center is so so.

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We haven't been benefiting from uncalled penalties so we need a tighter focus!! Go 49ers!!

willtalk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People see what they expect to see. They were never that good at pass protection. The media hype them as one of the best lines in the NFL but that was only true in respect to run blocking. Last year their pass protection stunk the entire year and it got worse when Davis had to play with one arm. The other teams pass rushers were beating him like a cheap drum. All it takes is one line man to breakdown and the pocket doesn't exist. Problem most people don't watch the games and make their own evaluations rather they just go along with the media hype they hear from the broadcast booth. It took their horrible performance of this season to get people to see through the illusion. They should get better as the season wears on but they will never be elite at pass protection. Even the run blocking started to decline last season.

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
No one knows the future of what this line will become. They are in in process of rebuild and retooling due to injury. Iupati is coming back from leg injury. Martin is basically a rookie overcoming the not tough enough stigma, but playing well given expectations and limited experience9rookie). Kilgore is a rookie starter..so is Looney nuff said. . So the whole right/center is new rooks and the left side is playing injured/recovering...so given all this we are doing just fine.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
No one knows the future of what this line will become. They are in in process of rebuild and retooling due to injury. Iupati is coming back from leg injury. Martin is basically a rookie overcoming the not tough enough stigma, but playing well given expectations and limited experience9rookie). Kilgore is a rookie starter..so is Looney nuff said. . So the whole right/center is new rooks and the left side is playing injured/recovering...so given all this we are doing just fine.

yes, the FUTURE is unknown and there is also Brandon Thomas to factor in. Players come and go so we'll just have to see near FUTURE?

but this thread is for NOW, and this O-line started bad again this season. Yes, some new players on the line so not totally unexpected. But when Iupati and Staley (mainly one game) do poorly, the problem is huge.

Guess by now they SHOULD be getting it together, at least from a Unit assignment/communication standpoint? individually, there are who they are.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
People see what they expect to see. They were never that good at pass protection. The media hype them as one of the best lines in the NFL but that was only true in respect to run blocking. Last year their pass protection stunk the entire year and it got worse when Davis had to play with one arm. The other teams pass rushers were beating him like a cheap drum. All it takes is one line man to breakdown and the pocket doesn't exist. Problem most people don't watch the games and make their own evaluations rather they just go along with the media hype they hear from the broadcast booth. It took their horrible performance of this season to get people to see through the illusion. They should get better as the season wears on but they will never be elite at pass protection. Even the run blocking started to decline last season.

true, they were good in stretches, but never consistent in pass protect. We all know Iupati was never a consistently good pass protector, and never will be.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next year will be different. I don't think we sign Iupati and the rookie Martin might be the center. I do think we should draft a Guard next year in Rd 2 or 3 to replace boone just in case he leaves the following year.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Next year will be different. I don't think we sign Iupati and the rookie Martin might be the center. I do think we should draft a Guard next year in Rd 2 or 3 to replace boone just in case he leaves the following year.

recently read an article (stat?) about Kilgore not allowing a pressure to date? or was it not allowing a sack? either way, from a pass protect standpoint, he has done well so far. So who knows if Martin takes over Center?

SOMETIMES, it looks like he's just getting stuffed in run blocking? but just my light opinion, don't really watch him enough.

Boone just got a raise so don't see him leaving? since we'll add Brandon Thomas to the mix, don't think we'll draft a guard till after round 3, IF we even draft one? Iupati likely leaves but we'd still have enough linemen.

Last edited by a moderator:

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
recently read an article (stat?) about Kilgore not allowing a pressure to date? or was it not allowing a sack? either way, from a pass protect standpoint, he has done well so far. So who knows if Martin takes over Center?

SOMETIMES, it looks like he's just getting stuffed in run blocking? but just my light opinion, don't really watch him enough.

Boone just got a raise so don't see him leaving? since we'll add Brandon Thomas to the mix, don't think we'll draft a guard till after round 3, IF we even draft one? Iupati likely leaves but we'd still have enough linemen.
Boone has a reworked contract until 2016 and Iupati is gone after this season most likely. Work needs to be done but I think the 9ers will be fine with the OL in the future. I'm not worried.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Boone has a reworked contract until 2016 and Iupati is gone after this season most likely. Work needs to be done but I think the 9ers will be fine with the OL in the future. I'm not worried.

agree, we should be fine in the future, even if Iupati leaves.

Brandon Thomas was supposed to be a high draft pick, so should have a lot of potential.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Im Baalke I draft another Guard. Play it safe. OL and DL are very important. RD 1-2 u grab a DL and CB. RD 4 Grab a TE(Vance stinks), RD 5 MLB(need Depth), RD 6 RB(Im a fan of a RB every year), RD 7 QB(Sleeper pick here).

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Always been a little overrated. Staley is playing like shit this season

That's couldn't be further from the truth. He had one really bad game, but he's been great otherwise.

The worst player on the OL this year, by far, has been Boone.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's couldn't be further from the truth. He had one really bad game, but he's been great otherwise.

The worst player on the OL this year, by far, has been Boone.

I agree Staley has been a beast. Besides 2 flags and 1 sack he has let up he has been awesome. Boone is starting to play better after a very poor start. Martin is holding his own but makes mistakes a couple times a game. He is a back up so expect that. Our Center gets no push and Iupati has been so so this year. Once we get Davis back I think we will be fine. Staley has been Top 3 LT in this league this year. I still cant believe he is 30 years old already.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If Im Baalke I draft another Guard. Play it safe. OL and DL are very important. RD 1-2 u grab a DL and CB. RD 4 Grab a TE(Vance stinks), RD 5 MLB(need Depth), RD 6 RB(Im a fan of a RB every year), RD 7 QB(Sleeper pick here).

don't get me wrong, if solid value (ie clear BPA) arises in round 3, go ahead. but generally speaking, don't think we'll do it?

"Play it safe" can apply to most positions on our team, and if we really wanted to think this way, I'd "play it safe" with QB. actually, Baalke did play it safe this past draft, and is one reason he kept all of our picks. He used picks on future starters, granted they consider Ward a current starter.