• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off Topic Lounge

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lake Lure and the Outer Banks are nice. And I know what it's like to have a university in your backyard. I live in Boulder and CU doesn't have a good football program. The basketball team isn't exactly lighting things up either.
Nice area! My fathers side of the family all hailed from Littleton, where they had a ranch back in the day.

My dream is to have an investment property to rent out and visit now and again, while I boondock and travel with a teardrop camper!

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice area! My fathers side of the family all hailed from Littleton, where they had a ranch back in the day.

My dream is to have an investment property to rent out and visit now and again, while I boondock and travel with a teardrop camper!

Just like all places it has it's good and bad. Persoanlly I can't wait to get outta here. Wanna move back to the Vegas area. The weather treats me better there.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I adore OBX where I’ve spent many summers up and down the Outer Banks and just stayed last year with some good friends that live in Asheville and LOVED that area too. Truly a fun state and I actually have thought of it as a place that is on my list.

Highway 12 runs the entire length north to south on the Outer Banks and in recent years this highway stays underwater just about as much as it stays above water due to mother nature with storms, beach erosion, etc. It's getting more and more expensive to keep this beautiful land/water area open for all of us who love it so much and many scientists are saying that eventually mother nature will win this battle by putting all of the Outer Banks underwater no matter how much money is spent to keep it above water which is sad. My point is nobody knows how soon this will happen but you might want to consider crossing off this beautiful area from your list of places to consider for retirement because of what is happening.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just like all places it has it's good and bad. Persoanlly I can't wait to get outta here. Wanna move back to the Vegas area. The weather treats me better there.

I love the Vegas area too but be sure to stay on top of their ongoing water shortage before you decide to retire there.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Highway 12 runs the entire length north to south on the Outer Banks and in recent years this highway stays underwater just about as much as it stays above water due to mother nature with storms, beach erosion, etc. It's getting more and more expensive to keep this beautiful land/water area open for all of us who love it so much and many scientists are saying that eventually mother nature will win this battle by putting all of the Outer Banks underwater no matter how much money is spent to keep it above water which is sad. My point is nobody knows how soon this will happen but you might want to consider crossing off this beautiful area from your list of places to consider for retirement because of what is happening.

Oh damn. That's awful to hear. Even though it's been about 30 years since I've been to the Outerbanks I have good memories of the place. It would be a shame to lose the place. But it's inevitable from how you've described things.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh damn. That's awful to hear. Even though it's been about 30 years since I've been to the Outerbanks I have good memories of the place. It would be a shame to lose the place. But it's inevitable from how you've described things.

Yeah, I never want to be the bearer of bad news but mother nature seems to always win these kind of battles.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In case anyone cares, the city of Los Angeles is on a roll lately in professional sports with the Lakers winning it all in the NBA, the Dodgers winning it all in MLB, and the Rams are not too bad in the NFL either. Personally, I don't care.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny because had Tampa won they would be sitting on two current titles with a pretty good football team. I wonder if Bill misses Tom? Ifs and buts ....

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny because had Tampa won they would be sitting on two current titles with a pretty good football team. I wonder if Bill misses Tom? Ifs and buts ....

I thought about this exact same thing with Tampa having two current titles, if they had won the World Series, when I posted about Los Angeles and I could have added if Tampa had won "The Brady Bunch' ain't too bad either. Yes, Bill misses Tom badly!

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My heroes from all sports seem to be leaving us in multitudes over the past year or two. Pretty soon I'm going to have to start learning the names of all these youngsters who trot out on the field of play if I want to have some 'youngster heroes'.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My heroes from all sports seem to be leaving us in multitudes over the past year or two. Pretty soon I'm going to have to start learning the names of all these youngsters who trot out on the field of play if I want to have some 'youngster heroes'.
I've got a feeling that old hats like some of us here, attaching ourselves to any of these youngsters is going to be a lot like acceptance of the junk that passes as music today.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got a feeling that old hats like some of us here, attaching ourselves to any of these youngsters is going to be a lot like acceptance of the junk that passes as music today.

Don't get me started on today's music if that's what you want to call it. I feel blessed that the music I have loved over the years was music that I could actually hear the words to. The sad thing is many of those great artists are leaving us just as fast as the athletes we loved are. No, none of these youngsters come even close to qualifying for my hall of fame.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get me started on today's music if that's what you want to call it. I feel blessed that the music I have loved over the years was music that I could actually hear the words to. The sad thing is many of those great artists are leaving us just as fast as the athletes we loved are. No, none of these youngsters come even close to qualifying for my hall of fame.
I call it junk and a few other choice unflattering words. Nearly all of it is generated by synthesizers and not real conventional instruments. You can literally hear the difference. In terms of vocal styling, the greats could sing without instruments and hold an audience (acapella/ a capella) today you're lucky if there's an occasional badly held note from time to time.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny I just listened to Greg Lake give an interview from more than 20 years ago say the same thing as Sty just said about how technology has changed music. There is no originality in music anymore. Much like the trade I have worked in for 30 years the old craftsman have been replaced by computer operators.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just have to add that... even with what I personally consider some awkward music choices (doesn’t every generation feel this way, lol) and a tendency to narcissistic self promotion (who allowed such unlimited access to the internet and social media...a lot of fault lies with parents and child rearing imo)

I am very hopeful regarding many of the younger peeps I come in contact with.

I see in my friends kids, who are currently in college or heading out into their ‘real lives’, much to admire - a genuine desire to see the world a better place, an optimism that they can help achieve this with their job hunts and choices - medicine, politics, peace corps style jobs, tech, jobs that balance life and work.

All this hope in a changing world that is going to change faster and faster in the future...

I feel optimistic that they might get it right.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I call it junk and a few other choice unflattering words. Nearly all of it is generated by synthesizers and not real conventional instruments. You can literally hear the difference. In terms of vocal styling, the greats could sing without instruments and hold an audience (acapella/ a capella) today you're lucky if there's an occasional badly held note from time to time.

I heard that . . . . . and I meant your paragraph and not the junk music you described so perfectly.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny I just listened to Greg Lake give an interview from more than 20 years ago say the same thing as Sty just said about how technology has changed music. There is no originality in music anymore. Much like the trade I have worked in for 30 years the old craftsman have been replaced by computer operators.

Do you remember when people use to take pride in the work they did? This includes music too! Many of the great song writers of yesterday have left us too and many of the song writers of today cannot complete a sentence properly, or at least that I can understand. I'm sure there will be some songs coming soon about the pandemic and you know I just can't wait to hear them, right?