• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off Topic Lounge

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of questions for all of my Skins brothers out there:

First of all I will admit that I have been a sports-a-holic since I was about 6 years old and over all of these years I have found there is no cure for it!

With that said, we are on a huge site here (8,263 members at last count) and I am always reading and posting on many threads relating to almost all sports.

Why do I never see any of my Skins brothers on any of them? Are they all into Skins only when it comes to sports? I apologize in advance if I have missed some of you guys on all the threads I visit but I just don't see you.

Beyond time spent here, I have no interest in social media. Never joined Facebook, Twitter, Instagram nor any other platform beyond this one and the old ESPN one. That said, I have visited other threads here and all I got for my efforts was reinforcement of my decision to limit my social media involvement or end it totally. I'm still weighing which is best for me.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of questions for all of my Skins brothers out there:

First of all I will admit that I have been a sports-a-holic since I was about 6 years old and over all of these years I have found there is no cure for it!

With that said, we are on a huge site here (8,263 members at last count) and I am always reading and posting on many threads relating to almost all sports.

Why do I never see any of my Skins brothers on any of them? Are they all into Skins only when it comes to sports? I apologize in advance if I have missed some of you guys on all the threads I visit but I just don't see you.

That is a big question tomcat.

1. Time - good for you guys that have that kind of time, I do not. This is the only place I post
2. Activity level - I go to a couple of other teams NCAA football and basketball, baseball and hockey
and there are very few people so not much to talk about

There are other qualifiers but those are probably the main two. Like you I have watched sports regularly since age 5 or 6. The older I get the less time I have to devote to it. I was very involved when my nephews were in HS and followed closely as some went to the pros. We still go out to a HS game now and then where they and I played and try to catch a Navy game once a year. Old sailor and shit. :D

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only time I go to other sites is to congratulate a team ,sometimes I participate in fun things like all time player drafts and such or offer condolences to a player from a particular team who was lost . Posting on other sites gets hard to do and I am here a lot on this board and the conversations on this board ,

I encourage people to use The Hole forum but for me I can’t keep up with it all

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beyond time spent here, I have no interest in social media. Never joined Facebook, Twitter, Instagram nor any other platform beyond this one and the old ESPN one. That said, I have visited other threads here and all I got for my efforts was reinforcement of my decision to limit my social media involvement or end it totally. I'm still weighing which is best for me.

Thanks for a good answer. Like you, I have never joined any of the social media platforms you mentioned either. However, I do love my sports. With that said, even on this site there is a lot of disinformation and misinformation on many of the sports threads I visit and way too many pissing contests by many who know very little about sports.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a big question tomcat.

1. Time - good for you guys that have that kind of time, I do not. This is the only place I post
2. Activity level - I go to a couple of other teams NCAA football and basketball, baseball and hockey
and there are very few people so not much to talk about

There are other qualifiers but those are probably the main two. Like you I have watched sports regularly since age 5 or 6. The older I get the less time I have to devote to it. I was very involved when my nephews were in HS and followed closely as some went to the pros. We still go out to a HS game now and then where they and I played and try to catch a Navy game once a year. Old sailor and shit. :D

Another good answer to my questions! My questions were meant simply find out where you guys hang out on this site other than Skins threads and you explained your situation well. From an old marine to an old sailor I cheer for Navy too.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only time I go to other sites is to congratulate a team ,sometimes I participate in fun things like all time player drafts and such or offer condolences to a player from a particular team who was lost . Posting on other sites gets hard to do and I am here a lot on this board and the conversations on this board ,

I encourage people to use The Hole forum but for me I can’t keep up with it all

Good explanation!

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for a good answer. Like you, I have never joined any of the social media platforms you mentioned either. However, I do love my sports. With that said, even on this site there is a lot of disinformation and misinformation on many of the sports threads I visit and way too many pissing contests by many who know very little about sports.

There's a rather large segment of America fully immersed in social media. They are at once entertained and informed through interactions with friends, family and a news system that's equally true and misleading without regard to being the bane of our existence.

Fake news, misinformation and disinformation as it exists today, all rose out of the wide breath and popularity of social media. Non-constructive interpersonal exchanges designed to further divide is commonplace no matter the forum.

Perhaps, it's a generational thing and the advent of social media is akin to a time where an older group saw big bands being supplanted by what was deemed "the devil's music" and later that second group supplanted by what their members are currently characterizing as "talentless garbage."
[End vent]

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a rather large segment of America fully immersed in social media. They are at once entertained and informed through interactions with friends, family and a news system that's equally true and misleading without regard to being the bane of our existence.

Fake news, misinformation and disinformation as it exists today, all rose out of the wide breath and popularity of social media. Non-constructive interpersonal exchanges designed to further divide is commonplace no matter the forum.

Perhaps, it's a generational thing and the advent of social media is akin to a time where an older group saw big bands being supplanted by what was deemed "the devil's music" and later that second group supplanted by what their members are currently characterizing as "talentless garbage."
[End vent]

i use twitter for football news 95% of the time

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

[End vent]

You vent quite well and all of us need to do that from time to time.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

[End vent]

Your above post sounds kind of like someone who might buy a stock based only on a tip that someone sitting in a bar beside him gave him who had a few too many drinks.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your above post sounds kind of like someone who might buy a stock based only on a tip that someone sitting in a bar beside him gave him who had a few too many drinks.

Interesting!

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I received a message from one of my nephews last night letting me know they were opening the golf course less than two miles from me. I later learned they are opening also.

I heard this morning that VA is opening things up to a small degree also. It is good to hear after two months that we are going to slowly start to open things. I hope and expect that this will be a slow process over the next couple of months but it sure feels good knowing we are going to start opening things again.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I received a message from one of my nephews last night letting me know they were opening the golf course less than two miles from me. I later learned they are opening also.

I heard this morning that VA is opening things up to a small degree also. It is good to hear after two months that we are going to slowly start to open things. I hope and expect that this will be a slow process over the next couple of months but it sure feels good knowing we are going to start opening things again.

You nailed it with 'opening things slowly'. Not only have our lives been turned upside down in the past few months, our weather has been turned upside down too. We are suppose to get a frost on Saturday night which means I will feel like I'm working on a grounds crew covering up the tender plants in my vegetable garden. This is unheard of in these parts in almost mid-May.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You nailed it with 'opening things slowly'. Not only have our lives been turned upside down in the past few months, our weather has been turned upside down too. We are suppose to get a frost on Saturday night which means I will feel like I'm working on a grounds crew covering up the tender plants in my vegetable garden. This is unheard of in these parts in almost mid-May.
same here in MI

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Warm winter, cool spring …. it'll be 80+ degrees within 10 days. :noidea:

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is nice to see sports back. Next week NASCAR races. I hit a bucket of balls at my just opened local golf club yesterday. :D