• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off-Season Thread

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll see. The cap and the prices will both go up, so it's really not much different than years before. Yes, the numbers are gaudy, but with the increase in the cap it'll be roughly the same % of the cap as it was before. Bengals, also, have been good about getting players money up front, which allows them to remain competitive in contract negotiations while keeping the back ends lower to keep space available for the next big signing.

Another good question will be just how much Burrow will actually ask for. He strikes me as a Brady kind of guy that could potentially take less here and there because he knows he's going to want to keep good WR's and OL. He seems like a guy who knows his cap number can't be so enormous that it prevents the team from being able to improve and keep guys/sign guys.

But all of that is in the future and will take care of itself.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll see. The cap and the prices will both go up, so it's really not much different than years before. Yes, the numbers are gaudy, but with the increase in the cap it'll be roughly the same % of the cap as it was before. Bengals, also, have been good about getting players money up front, which allows them to remain competitive in contract negotiations while keeping the back ends lower to keep space available for the next big signing.

Another good question will be just how much Burrow will actually ask for. He strikes me as a Brady kind of guy that could potentially take less here and there because he knows he's going to want to keep good WR's and OL. He seems like a guy who knows his cap number can't be so enormous that it prevents the team from being able to improve and keep guys/sign guys.

But all of that is in the future and will take care of itself.
If you say so brother. I hope that is the way it is, but we will see. He is starting to turn into Hollywood Joe a little. We will see what 3 more years does to him, unless we win a Superbowl this year and the Bengals want to negotiate an extension next year. We will see.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you say so brother. I hope that is the way it is, but we will see. He is starting to turn into Hollywood Joe a little. We will see what 3 more years does to him, unless we win a Superbowl this year and the Bengals want to negotiate an extension next year. We will see.
Worrying is like a rocking chair. Sure, it gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere.

Why worry about 3 years from now? Let's focus on '22 first. The rest will take care of itself.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and P.S.

Have you seen how Brady dresses and acts compared to his first year, or two? Not the same, either.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yes, but you only play 6 games against division opponents, so say they all split with each other, that is a 3-3 record with a powerful lineup playing opposing non-division teams. Possibly 5-0 against the NFC, and if they struggle against the AFC at a tune of even steven, you are looking at 3-3, which makes it: 11-6 at worst possibly.

I agree, but the difference between winning 3 games in your division vs 5 can be the difference between being a 1 seed or a 4 seed.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A good thing about it is most of the moves are in the AFC west. It's going to be tough winning 12 games out of that division. The Bengals and Bills are my favorites for the 1 seed even if the Chiefs and Chargers have the best rosters.

Also in the NFC the Niners are set to run the conference if Trey Lance is good.
I think that is true about the AFC-W. In general, It think the AFC will play out a lot the way it did this season... One week you could be at the very top of the standings, lose two games in a row and you might be last place in your own division. Even the top seeds of the AFC had some really bad stretches last year that led to crashes in the standings and doubts about their potential. Should be similar this year. The big question will be who the first team is to struggle with all of their talent - Last year it was the Chiefs because they started slowly, but they were still in position for the first overall seed before losing to us.

I don't trust the 49ers until the QB situation proves itself. Over the past few years they have been very good when Jimmy G has been healthy and leading the team. At other times they have not been good. But, now they're likely to give Jimmy G away and who knows what you're really going to get with Lance.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Brady was a 6th rd draft pick who was a game manager early in his career. Burrow was a 1st overall pick who put up MVP caliber numbers his second year as a starter. I would be shocked if his deal doesn't make him the highest paid player in football

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, but the difference between winning 3 games in your division vs 5 can be the difference between being a 1 seed or a 4 seed.
This is why Buffalo is winning the 1 seed this year....I think the Bills can sweep the Patriots - They seem to have their number. They should also easily sweep the Jets and probably sweep the Dolphins. They get to play the NFC-N, which is a pretty terrible division with the Packers game being in Buffalo.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brady was a 6th rd draft pick who was a game manager early in his career. Burrow was a 1st overall pick who put up MVP caliber numbers his second year as a starter. I would be shocked if his deal doesn't make him the highest paid player in football
Yes, agreed - But Brady also won Super Bowls.

Regardless of where you are drafted, if you play that well AND win it all multiple times, you are getting paid.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worrying is like a rocking chair. Sure, it gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere.

Why worry about 3 years from now? Let's focus on '22 first. The rest will take care of itself.
Great saying. I think I will use that around my house. I am not worried so much as just looking ahead. The Bengals can't afford to let Burrow go at any cost. Chase, that could be another story. But he made such a difference this year, we will see how his production is in 5 years.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yes, agreed - But Brady also won Super Bowls.

Regardless of where you are drafted, if you play that well AND win it all multiple times, you are getting paid.

I just think Brady's a complete outlier as he won on defensive teams early in his career then married a super model worth hundreds of millions of dollars right as he established himself as the best player in football.

I think Burrow's going to want market value and the Bengals pay him accordingly next off-season.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think Brady's a complete outlier as he won on defensive teams early in his career then married a super model worth hundreds of millions of dollars right as he established himself as the best player in football.

I think Burrow's going to want market value and the Bengals pay him accordingly next off-season.
And that may be, but the bottom line is always the same: If someone ask for all the money they can get, eventually the rest of the team suffers. Then said player will complain about winning, but not look in the mirror was to why.

One of the reasons Brady was successful in N.E. and TB was because of his willingness to take less than market value to keep his teams competitive. Either you want to win at all cost or you want to get paid. I don't begrudge either side - but you can't do one and then complain about the other.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oganjobi's offer from the Bears has been pulled due to a failed physical. I wonder if he would be interested in running it back on another 1 year deal.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oganjobi's offer from the Bears has been pulled due to a failed physical. I wonder if he would be interested in running it back on another 1 year deal.
Agreed. Likely wouldn't happen until later - he'll want to get healthy and see if someone is still wiling to pay him.

Otherwise, 100% - offer a 1 or even a 2 year deal where he can void the 2nd year if he wants. If he's healthy next F/A year - and wants to test the market, it gives him the flexibility to do so.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopkins cut. Karras is indeed the new center. We actually save money at this position.

We need a few more players.... Plenty of cap to work with.