• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off-season news 2024

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well not great to hear no Bradford (still), Lucas (we knew about that), Barner, Dodson, Baker, in practice. Even if it's non-contact it'd be good to have those guys there, ESPECIALLY Dodson/Baker with how Mike wants to utilize them. Also heard Metcalf isn't there which I get why (it's voluntary) but given this is going to be a brand new offense, it would've been nice. JSN meanwhile is balling out though.

I'll be interested to see what we do with Metcalf this year... he'd probably ask for a new contract in 2025 especially if he balls out this year... if JSN actually gets utilized like he should be (exploiting zones/underneath routes - because he actually understands zone D and how to read it quickly, Kupp is amazing at that, hence him burning Carroll 24/7) Metcalf and JSN are a very dangerous combo. If DK is running or stretching downfield, the safety has to stay honest (which they do, there's plenty of footage of this last year), which allows JSN to operate underneath 1/1 against a linebacker or force a SS to come up which frees your #2 WR. There's a guaranteed 1/1 coverage and mismatches because of the abilities.

JSN will profit on this the most given he's going to have linebacker/nickel corner mismatches. It's really fuckin' ridiculous that last year ~50% (50%!!!!) of JSNs catches were behind the LOS...

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nwosu is practicing without any limitation so that's a positive in OTAs.

I was really excited to see Nwosu play last year. I thought he was going to have a break out season but he started off slow and never got the chance to turn it on. I feel he will start slow this year ( Because of the injury ) but by week 10 should be a menace in our defense. There is just something about him where i feel he has not even tapped into his full potential yet. Macdonald should be able to bring the best out of him.

I also feel our offense will struggle mightily again because one thing Grubb isn't really good at is devising a run game. People like to boast about his "run game" like it was great but it was always a afterthought in his offense. This team needs a STRONG run game with out a doubt and they have the RB room to be exceptional in that area but is Grubb capable of bringing that out? I don't feel he is.

They should have went with a offensive genious but they went with a passing OC who has a afterthought Running game. Like Grubb for sure because he was a Huskie coach but I am not blinded by that fact. he wasn't very good and scheming up a top flight running game, or even a middle of the pack one.

Last edited:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was really excited to see Nwosu play last year. I thought he was going to have a break out season but he started off slow and never got the chance to turn it on. I feel he will start slow this year ( Because of the injury ) but by week 10 should be a menace in our defense. There is just something about him where i feel he has not even tapped into his full potential yet. Macdonald should be able to bring the best out of him.

I also feel our offense will struggle mightily again because one thing Grubb isn't really good at is devising a run game. People like to boast about his "run game" like it was great but it was always a afterthought in his offense. This team needs a STRONG run game with out a doubt and they have the RB room to be exceptional in that area but is Grubb capable of bringing that out? I don't feel he is.

They should have went with a offensive genious but they went with a passing OC who has a afterthought Running game. Like Grubb for sure because he was a Huskie coach but I am not blinded by that fact. he wasn't very good and scheming up a top flight running game, or even a middle of the pack one.

I don't watch a ton of College football so I can't comment for sure, but here's a good article that somewhat mentions that the running game is not just an afterthought. I think having Penix and the best WR group in NCAAF also negated a bit of the need to run, but he still said it is needed to set it up.

As the article mentions, he employed a lot of zone running throughout his career which does work great in the NFL and Walker is a great zone runningback. Seattle's running plays last year started to get SUPER vanilla (maybe due to OL injuries?) and they just started jamming Walker up the middle while trying to strongarm opposing DLs... Walker still found a way to make reads but what Waldron was drafting up with the run game was pathetic.

Last edited:

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't watch a ton of College football so I can't comment for sure, but here's a good article that somewhat mentions that the running game is not just an afterthought. I think having Penix and the best WR group in NCAAF also negated a bit of the need to run, but he still said it is needed to set it up.

As the article mentions, he employed a lot of zone running throughout his career which does work great in the NFL and Walker is a great zone runningback. Seattle's running plays last year started to get SUPER vanilla (maybe due to OL injuries?) and they just started jamming Walker up the middle while trying to strongarm opposing DLs... Walker still found a way to make reads but what Waldron was drafting up with the run game was pathetic.
I'm interested to see how Grubb utilizes Walker, Charbonnet and sometimes McIntosh. Also interested in seeing how Huff coaches up the Oline. Hoping those 2 having familiarity with each other helps the transition to the pros. A lot of unknowns with these first time coaches so might be a bit of growing pains but looking forward to the fresh approach.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be interested to see what we do with Metcalf this year... he'd probably ask for a new contract in 2025 especially if he balls out this year...
I'm torn on that one. DK is uniquely talented, but I don't think we have been getting it all out of him. Some of that is on him, some on the organization. Most of the time throwing huge $ at a WR is not the way to go, but it could be palatable to give him a 3rd contract in Seattle if we're not also paying big bucks to a QB at that time. Even if we strike gold with Howell, he probably won't be counting all that much against the cap for another 3 or 4 years. And if it's not him, it'll probably be someone else drafted in the next couple years. Either way, QB salary should be low enough to keep DK around if that's what we want to do.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm torn on that one. DK is uniquely talented, but I don't think we have been getting it all out of him. Some of that is on him, some on the organization. Most of the time throwing huge $ at a WR is not the way to go, but it could be palatable to give him a 3rd contract in Seattle if we're not also paying big bucks to a QB at that time. Even if we strike gold with Howell, he probably won't be counting all that much against the cap for another 3 or 4 years. And if it's not him, it'll probably be someone else drafted in the next couple years. Either way, QB salary should be low enough to keep DK around if that's what we want to do.
Speaking of huge money... J. Jefferson just signed a 4 yr/140 million dollar deal... 110 guaranteed...

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate dumping big money on WRs tbh. I can kind of see it with a Jefferson or Lamb going into their prime but there are only a very few that are worth the big hit, imo. The QBs and OCs make the receiver, not the other way around. As athletically gifted as DK is, he has done very little to warrant a big payday or increase. There are so many good WRs coming out of college now that what teams are paying these guys is pretty stupid. Miami and Philly both paying 2 guys big money. We did it with the last extension to DK and paying Lockett as well and I wasn't really happy about that, even though I like those guys.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate dumping big money on WRs tbh. I can kind of see it with a Jefferson or Lamb going into their prime but there are only a very few that are worth the big hit, imo. The QBs and OCs make the receiver, not the other way around. As athletically gifted as DK is, he has done very little to warrant a big payday or increase. There are so many good WRs coming out of college now that what teams are paying these guys is pretty stupid. Miami and Philly both paying 2 guys big money. We did it with the last extension to DK and paying Lockett as well and I wasn't really happy about that, even though I like those guys.

Yah fair... Jefferson makes sense because you have Christian Ponder 2.0 at QB. He'll need all the help he can get.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yah fair... Jefferson makes sense because you have Christian Ponder 2.0 at QB. He'll need all the help he can get.
Jefferson will be on a long list of players to make a shitload of money and have a great career but won't even sniff a championship. His talent was wasted with Cousins anyway. Not sure how McCarthy will turn out but I also have somewhat low expectations. Not going Ponder level bust though. I think the kid will be okay, just nothing special.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jefferson will be on a long list of players to make a shitload of money and have a great career but won't even sniff a championship. His talent was wasted with Cousins anyway. Not sure how McCarthy will turn out but I also have somewhat low expectations. Not going Ponder level bust though. I think the kid will be okay, just nothing special.

Some times i dont get the hate some of you have for Cousins. In the past 5 years Rogers Mahomes and COUSINS have been the best QB's in the NFL. I get it, you all think he is crap just like you all thought Purdy and Goff were crap yet they are also in the top 5. Take the blinders off and give respect where it's due. These QB's have "EARNED" at least that much.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some times i dont get the hate some of you have for Cousins. In the past 5 years Rogers Mahomes and COUSINS have been the best QB's in the NFL. I get it, you all think he is crap just like you all thought Purdy and Goff were crap yet they are also in the top 5. Take the blinders off and give respect where it's due. These QB's have "EARNED" at least that much.

I have never understood the hate for Cousins.

1717526639050.png

He can be a little heavy on the fumbles (with turnovers) but he's certainly produced. Perhaps it's because he's never been great in the playoffs but in 2022 the Vikes D shit the bed against the Giants and in 2019 he had the 49ers D to deal with and his D didn't do much to help either.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have never understood the hate for Cousins.

View attachment 363994

He can be a little heavy on the fumbles (with turnovers) but he's certainly produced. Perhaps it's because he's never been great in the playoffs but in 2022 the Vikes D shit the bed against the Giants and in 2019 he had the 49ers D to deal with and his D didn't do much to help either.

One thing i have noticed is most of the time your QB isn't winning you Playoff games it's more often than not the defense unless you are named Rogers or Mahomes. Imagine Cousins on Baltimore, KC, Bills or Tampa a couple years ago when these teams had great defenses. I have zero doubt he would have a ring. I would 100% take Cousins over Geno.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing i have noticed is most of the time your QB isn't winning you Playoff games it's more often than not the defense unless you are named Rogers or Mahomes. Imagine Cousins on Baltimore, KC, Bills or Tampa a couple years ago when these teams had great defenses. I have zero doubt he would have a ring. I would 100% take Cousins over Geno.
Who here wouldn't take Cousins over Geno?

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who here wouldn't take Cousins over Geno?

Well last season when i said I would 100% take Cousins over Geno i was flamed by MANY in here and NO ONE said they would also take Cousins. The only ones that said anything were the ones against Cousins.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well last season when i said I would 100% take Cousins over Geno i was flamed by MANY in here and NO ONE said they would also take Cousins. The only ones that said anything were the ones against Cousins.

I think Cousins is a fine QB, but would I want him over Geno at the moment given all factors? Ehh......

Things to consider:
1) Cousins is 36 (or will be in 2 months),
2) Coming off a major injury and has much more mileage on him than Geno.
3) His current cap hit is about $15M more than Geno this year which allowed us to build out this roster - that couldn't have happened otherwise.
4) Kirk is almost uncuttable next year... sure you can work salary cap magic, but his dead cap next year is almost $70M if I recall.
5) Geno can be cut next year for a minimal cap hit (only a measly $6.75M if spread over 2 years)
6) Geno actually got in the MVP voting in 2022, Kirk has never done that.
7) Geno was injured a couple games last year and playing injured with an abysmal OL, one of the worst defenses, and an offense that couldn't figure out how to use a route ninja in JSN and just kept running behind LOS plays...

That said, I don't know if I'd be willing to sacrifice all that for Kirk. If I could have Kirk on a 1 year rental and his health was guaranteed for $10M, then I don't think anyone would question taking him over Geno... who will be 34...

But there's a number of other factors. And maybe they think Howell can be an answer next year - who knows. I am still frustrated to see Howell still has that stupid ball pat before throwing. They really need to get him to stop that habit. It may not allow DBs/safeties enough time to react, but guarantee DL/EDGE are going to look for that 100% and get their hands up the minute they see it.

Last edited:

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Cousins is a fine QB, but would I want him over Geno at the moment given all factors? Ehh......

Things to consider:
1) Cousins is 36 (or will be in 2 months),
2) Coming off a major injury and has much more mileage on him than Geno.
3) His current cap hit is about $15M more than Geno this year which allowed us to build out this roster - that couldn't have happened otherwise.
4) Kirk is almost uncuttable next year... sure you can work salary cap magic, but his dead cap next year is almost $70M if I recall.
5) Geno can be cut next year for a minimal cap hit (only a measly $6.75M if spread over 2 years)
6) Geno actually got in the MVP voting in 2022, Kirk has never done that.
7) Geno was injured a couple games last year and playing injured with an abysmal OL, one of the worst defenses, and an offense that couldn't figure out how to use a route ninja in JSN and just kept running behind LOS plays...

That said, I don't know if I'd be willing to sacrifice all that for Kirk. If I could have Kirk on a 1 year rental and his health was guaranteed for $10M, then I don't think anyone would question taking him over Geno... who will be 34...

But there's a number of other factors. And maybe they think Howell can be an answer next year - who knows. I am still frustrated to see Howell still has that stupid ball pat before throwing. They really need to get him to stop that habit. It may not allow DBs/safeties enough time to react, but guarantee DL/EDGE are going to look for that 100% and get their hands up the minute they see it.

The question is, is he better? Not how much he costs. I just think it's funny how half or more than half the posters here bash him and yet he has been one of the better QB's in the NFL the past 5 years. He makes more because he earned it.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The question is, is he better? Not how much he costs. I just think it's funny how half or more than half the posters here bash him and yet he has been one of the better QB's in the NFL the past 5 years. He makes more because he earned it.

Well yes, I get your point. But all the factors have to be considered for how much better... that's a tough thing to answer because Geno isn't playing terrible as of the last couple years... and now Cousins is coming off a major injury, who knows how that affects him.. and Geno is familiar with almost all of the offensive starters (outside a few OLineman, who are replacing crappy ones anyway). That accounts for something.

I listed cost as two or so of my items out of a list of seven, and never even listed #8 which to my point above is familiarity with the teammates.

You and I both agree Cousins is a fine starter and I'd be happy to have him for Geno's contract but I can't dismiss Geno either... so cost does weigh into that. And if you want to go search my posts (I'm sure as F not doing it) I've said before on the General forum, etc. that Cousins is absurdly hated on.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Amazing how far we've come..

I still can't believe Pete went in last year with Reed and Jones (and a bunch of unproven late round picks) and thought that was enough.

Murphy/Reed/Williams (who are all interchangeable and the NT/3tech and Reed the 1 tech) along with Hankins who can sub in for NT to give some rest is huge.. and who knows where Jones will end up. I think they may move him to EDGE but he has experience at the 3-4 DE position so that's something. It gives Mac another position to rotate if he wants to and Jones can pick it up. I think honestly Jones is gone after this season... he's just not worthwhile to cut. Could be wrong. I was always very meh about that signing.