• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Observations From The Game

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
1. Alex Smith looked good. Accurate and throwing the ball down field. Except for a couple of drops and a throw away down at the goal line he completed just about every pass for an average of 16 yards per completion. Only poor play calling on both drives down by the goal line prevented some scoring.

2. The O line appears to be picking up the blocking scheme better.

3. They ran the ball well. Hunter looks like a player.

4. Defense looks average. Still no pass rush and soft coverage by the DBs. That part of the scheme does not seem to have changed.

5. They need a new stadium. If it looks like a slum, the idiots in the crowd will behave like they are in a slum.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget Smith threw an ill advised Pick. But other than that, the offense definitely seemed much improved from last week. Looks like QB to WRs were on the same page, OL were communicating and holding their blocks.

Playcalling isn't much an issue ATM, this is preason and we must come to terms that Harbs won't show his hand but entering the preseason games I was excited to see how our formations and playcalling would be. Got a taste of it and must settle with a small sample size.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't forget neither of our possible starting CBs played. And Oakland still scored 0 points.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also we gotta keep in mind how many plays Brooks and possibly Aldon can make if they play the ENTIRE game.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had two tackles and forced an incompletion on a pass with a hit on the QB. For some reason he played very little in the 2nd quarter. He didn't get a lot of PT until the second half.

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Don't forget Smith threw an ill advised Pick. But other than that, the offense definitely seemed much improved from last week. Looks like QB to WRs were on the same page, OL were communicating and holding their blocks.

Playcalling isn't much an issue ATM, this is preason and we must come to terms that Harbs won't show his hand but entering the preseason games I was excited to see how our formations and playcalling would be. Got a taste of it and must settle with a small sample size.

I think when Crabtree comes back, that shold give the 49ers three pretty good options to throw to in Davis, Edwards and Crabtree. I'd also like to see them throw some out of their two-tight end formations too since Davis and Walker have good speed.

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He had two tackles and forced an incompletion on a pass with a hit on the QB. For some reason he played very little in the 2nd quarter. He didn't get a lot of PT until the second half.

I'm interested to see how he does against the opposition's first team. The weak pass rush concerns me. My hope is that they are going to scheme their way to a good pass rush and are trying not to give it away in pre-season.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Morgan will be great as a #3 WR too. Let's face facts, we are stacked in the weapons department. The key is delivery. :)

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are gonna have a lot of blitzes that we aren't showing right now. I'm not concerned about pressure. My only concerns are Goldson arriving on time or early to actually make a play and our 2nd CB.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's another concern I forgot about. At least as much of the game as I watched, I don't recall hearing Aldon Smith's name mentined once. Was he injured?

Aldon didn't make a big impact, like Prime, his role was limited this time around...

Applewhite had a good showing and was constantly attacking the QB...

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think when Crabtree comes back, that shold give the 49ers three pretty good options to throw to in Davis, Edwards and Crabtree. I'd also like to see them throw some out of their two-tight end formations too since Davis and Walker have good speed.

Smith, Prime or insert QB has the weapons.... like Ray said earlier, just a matter of delivery.

Crabtree should reconsider his diva ways and take this seriously. He needs to realize that Edwards can possibily steal thes how from him. I wonder how he and Edwards interact off the field? Crabtree with anyone for that matter.

I imagine Harbs has a whole chapter in the playbook schemed for Davis and Walker. We also might see, saw a little of it, Walker lined up as a FB.... talk about mismatches.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are gonna have a lot of blitzes that we aren't showing right now. I'm not concerned about pressure. My only concerns are Goldson arriving on time or early to actually make a play and our 2nd CB.

Goldson at FS troubles me.... dearly....

2nd CB? Spencer is the guy.. he's a good #2 and servicable #1 IMO.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Spencer is going to be rusty as hell.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Morgan will be great as a #3 WR too. Let's face facts, we are stacked in the weapons department. The key is delivery. :)

For the first time in a while I feel like the offensive weapons are stacked.

If we line up with the 2 TE set with Gore, Vernon and Denalie teams will have to respect the run out of that set, but we'll have Edwards and Crabtree on the outside maybe single covered.

3 Pro bowl level threats (Gore, Vernon, Edwards) and 2 pretty good ones (Walker and Crabtree).

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
36-Shawntae Spencer: Sustained left hamstring strain in practice July 31 and has not made it through a full practice since. He did not suit up for the game.

Read more: Maiocco: 49ers defense -- Player-by-player review
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story