• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NY Times article on 49er Struggles

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reid missed at least one tackle badly last week, and probably one or two more. As far the the INT called back for a penalty, Rodgers never would have thrown that ball but for the penalty, so while it was a good play, can't give him too much credit for it.

In general, I've been very pleased with Reid. He's shown well in coverage - I think better than Goldson, frankly, and has been aggressive and - when he takes proper angles - sound in his tackling. But he has had a few slip-ups. He's hardly the problem on D, though.

The run D is a huge head-scratcher. We lead the league - I think by two - in rushing TDs allowed. That's inexcusable for this defense.

No offense Crim, but fuck that noise. If the GB WR would have caught that jump ball, they would have declined the penalty and it would have been a TD. It was a great play on a couple different fronts. First, he showed body control and the ability to time his jump properly. Second, he attacked the ball and went after it. Lastly, as a FS he was in position to make the play and it came out as the best case scenario. The fact that there was a penalty on the play where Rodgers got a free shot is irrelevant in terms of the play being made.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Reid has missed a few open field tackles in every game so far that have lead to first downs.

Reid's play is not the Reason why we are losing. He has been the 4th best player on our D, thus far (Aldon, Justin, Bowman, and Reid). He's doing a job! His play is not perfect by all means, but he's balling. I know he has made his share of mistakes on the field, but he is making plays out there.

However, I would argue that the trade for Reid has been the biggest reason why we are losing. Had we drafted a receiver in the first round such as Cordarelle Patterson, I'm sure he would have been able to make our offense explode with him in the lineup. Or had we drafted Eifert, we wouldn't have needed Vance McDonald, and Eifert would have lit it up for us on offense too. Especially cosnsidering the fact that Vernon Davis is out of the lineup. In addition, the trade for Reid caused us to miss out on a true NT such as John Jenkins.

Rumor has it that the Saints D has improved dramatically due to the fellas in the trenches. He's been playing well for them, and guess what, they are undefeated:
New Orleans Saints put trust in rookie nose tackle John Jenkins after Brodrick Bunkley's injury | NOLA.com

Last edited by a moderator:

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we could've always traded back into the third to grab that NT... we have a vast amount of picks that yr n this year... plenty of ammo to use without overpaying...

49ersLLC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reid's play is not the Reason why we are losing. He has been the 4th best player on our D, thus far (Aldon, Justin, Bowman, and Reid). He's doing a job! His play is not perfect by all means, but he's balling. I know he has made his share of mistakes on the field, but he is making plays out there.

However, I would argue that the trade for Reid has been the biggest reason why we are losing. Had we drafted a receiver in the first round such as Cordarelle Patterson, I'm sure he would have been able to make our offense explode with him in the lineup. Or had we drafted Eifert, we wouldn't have needed Vance McDonald, and Eifert would have lit it up for us on offense too. Especially cosnsidering the fact that Vernon Davis is out of the lineup. In addition, the trade for Reid caused us to miss out on a true NT such as John Jenkins.

Rumor has it that the Saints D has improved dramatically due to the fellas in the trenches. He's been playing well for them, and guess what, they are undefeated:
New Orleans Saints put trust in rookie nose tackle John Jenkins after Brodrick Bunkley's injury | NOLA.com

This ^ absolutely bang on Patterson and Eifert should have been the targets instead of Reid & Carradine.

How good would our offense be if Baalke would have drafted Doug Martin & Rueben Randle in 2012...

And WR/KR Cordarrelle Patterson & Tyler Eifert in 2013...

Ponder sucks call up the Vikings and tell them we got the next Russell Wilson in BJ Daniels...Daniels and a pick for Patterson.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
we could've always traded back into the third to grab that NT... we have a vast amount of picks that yr n this year... plenty of ammo to use without overpaying...

Yeah but we did not have to had we stayed put. Didn't we trade up for Vance McDonald as well?

Vernon Davis and Tyler Eifert would have been a scary sight.
Patterson and John Jenkins would have been life savers for us at this point (our receivers can't get open, defenses are blowing us up from the line of scrimmage). Cyprien has 2 force fumbles and a sack so far this season. His first game he had 3 tackles, 2nd game 8 tackles, 3rd game 7 tackles. I still think Reid is a better safety by a small margin, but I stand by my initial comment that had we stayed put, we could have gotten the same production out of Cyprien - while preserving our 3rd round pick (Jonathan Jenkins). Cyprien is a better tackler than Reid, Reid plays the ball a little bit better. Cyprien is the better overall athlete IMO based on what I see on the field.

My top 3 players (FS) were:
Kenny Vaccaro
Tyrann Mathieu
Reid/Cyprien

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reid, will be strong player. I'm just saying he has missed a few tackles but not nothing to be worried about.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
No offense Crim, but fuck that noise. If the GB WR would have caught that jump ball, they would have declined the penalty and it would have been a TD. It was a great play on a couple different fronts. First, he showed body control and the ability to time his jump properly. Second, he attacked the ball and went after it. Lastly, as a FS he was in position to make the play and it came out as the best case scenario. The fact that there was a penalty on the play where Rodgers got a free shot is irrelevant in terms of the play being made.

I disagree. As said, it was a good play by Reid, and potentially prevented a TD. He was in great position, and showed good instincts and physicality to go up and get the ball. But it was a risky throw for Rodgers, basically a 50/50 jump ball, which he would not have thrown except that he knew he had a free shot downfield. As such, I can't just chalk it up as an INT but for the penalty.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

A few thoughts on this one. First, Patterson hasn't exactly caused the Minny offense to explode, granted the QB is a problem there. Second, Eifert has been solid for Cincy, but not stellar. Third, it's strange that you note the undefeated Saints when referencing Jenkins while omitting the winless Vikings when discussing Patterson.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yeah but we did not have to had we stayed put. Didn't we trade up for Vance McDonald as well?

Vernon Davis and Tyler Eifert would have been a scary sight.
Patterson and John Jenkins would have been life savers for us at this point (our receivers can't get open, defenses are blowing us up from the line of scrimmage). Cyprien has 2 force fumbles and a sack so far this season. His first game he had 3 tackles, 2nd game 8 tackles, 3rd game 7 tackles. I still think Reid is a better safety by a small margin, but I stand by my initial comment that had we stayed put, we could have gotten the same production out of Cyprien - while preserving our 3rd round pick (Jonathan Jenkins). Cyprien is a better tackler than Reid, Reid plays the ball a little bit better. Cyprien is the better overall athlete IMO based on what I see on the field.

My top 3 players (FS) were:
Kenny Vaccaro
Tyrann Mathieu
Reid/Cyprien

But we couldn't have had both Patterson and Cyprien regardless. It's trade up and take Patterson or stay put and take Cyprien.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I disagree. As said, it was a good play by Reid, and potentially prevented a TD. He was in great position, and showed good instincts and physicality to go up and get the ball. But it was a risky throw for Rodgers, basically a 50/50 jump ball, which he would not have thrown except that he knew he had a free shot downfield. As such, I can't just chalk it up as an INT but for the penalty.

He wouldn't have thrown it, but he did. If Reid doesn't make that play it's 6 points. The fact that he made the play saved us 6 points. It might not be in the stat sheet, but saved points and helped with the win. That play was big.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reid is the least of our worries now.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He wouldn't have thrown it, but he did. If Reid doesn't make that play it's 6 points. The fact that he made the play saved us 6 points. It might not be in the stat sheet, but saved points and helped with the win. That play was big.

I agree. It was not the same as an INT absent the penalty, however.

49ersLLC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few thoughts on this one. First, Patterson hasn't exactly caused the Minny offense to explode, granted the QB is a problem there. Second, Eifert has been solid for Cincy, but not stellar. Third, it's strange that you note the undefeated Saints when referencing Jenkins while omitting the winless Vikings when discussing Patterson.

I've seen all the Vikings games have you? Based off that comment i doubt it! Patterson is not seeing many targets as a WR which is hardly his fault. He has returned a kickoff 105 yards on the road for a TD and when he has been targeted as a WR he has picked up some nice gains with no drops. Give the kid a chance and watch the games. You are correct about Ponder who is crap. Patterson has a great skillset and would have been a perfect WR/KR threat in the 49ers offense. Patterson may end up like Harvin pissed off with Ponder and the Vikings passing offense and asking for a trade.

Also agree Cyprien is just as good if not better than Reid.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I've seen all the Vikings games have you? Based off that comment i doubt it! Patterson is not seeing many targets as a WR which is hardly his fault. He has returned a kickoff 105 yards on the road for a TD and when he has been targeted as a WR he has picked up some nice gains with no drops. Give the kid a chance and watch the games. You are correct about Ponder who is crap. Patterson has a great skillset and would have been a perfect WR/KR threat in the 49ers offense. Patterson may end up like Harvin pissed off with Ponder and the Vikings passing offense and asking for a trade.

Also agree Cyprien is just as good if not better than Reid.

So you disagree that the Vikings offense has not exploded? You're entitled to your opinion, but the evidence doesn't support it.

I've seen very little of the Vikings. But the point remains that their offense is mediocre at best. Our offense as a whole has looked ineffective. I don't see any single rookie - particularly one that has been only ok on offense - changing that. I'm certainly not dismissing Patterson, either this season or in terms of his career. I'm just noting that he is the fourth or fifth (receptions vs. yards) receiving option on a passing D that has accrued exactly three fewer yards than the Niners. As a receiver, he hasn't produced much more than McDonald on a team that is even more starved for receiving threats than we are.

49ersLLC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you disagree that the Vikings offense has not exploded? You're entitled to your opinion, but the evidence doesn't support it.

I've seen very little of the Vikings. But the point remains that their offense is mediocre at best. Our offense as a whole has looked ineffective. I don't see any single rookie - particularly one that has been only ok on offense - changing that. I'm certainly not dismissing Patterson, either this season or in terms of his career. I'm just noting that he is the fourth or fifth (receptions vs. yards) receiving option on a passing D that has accrued exactly three fewer yards than the Niners. As a receiver, he hasn't produced much more than McDonald on a team that is even more starved for receiving threats than we are.

I just told you Patterson has hardly been targeted then you acknowledge you "have seen very little of the Vikings" and then post that in bold...troll much or just another village idiot like sickness?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I just told you Patterson has hardly been targeted then you acknowledge you "have seen very little of the Vikings" and then post that in bold...troll much or just another village idiot like sickness?

Yeah, I'm trolling this board. That's basically what I've done for 5,200+ posts, just troll.

Bingo said Patterson would make our offense explode. Given that he has not come close to doing that for the offense he actually plays on, I'm skeptical he would do so here. Again, if you disagree, that's fine. But good players produce. And the excuses about the QB only go so far. Percy Harvin produced with the same QB. Patterson hasn't done it yet. It doesn't mean he can't, it doesn't mean he won't, and it doesn't mean other factors aren't holding him back. It just means he's been quiet on offense to date.

How many rookie receivers - particularly those that are raw coming out - cause their teams to explode on offense? I can think of exactly one in the last 25 years: Randy Moss. Maybe Colston, but it's possible some guy named Drew Brees was more instrumental in that turnaround. There's an argument for Harvin, but it's not a very strong one. AJ Green made the Bengals a little better, but certainly no explosion there. When Patterson starts lighting it up for the team he's on, let's discuss that theory. Until then, I'm pretty content in my opinion that any impact he would have had on our offense to date would be slight.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Incidentally, why do you think Ponder/the Vikings, who desperately need success through the air, haven't targeted him more?

taughtmepatience

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest problem is the D-line getting pushed off the ball. It's going to be a long season if they cannot stop the run on a consistent basis.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The biggest problem is the D-line getting pushed off the ball. It's going to be a long season if they cannot stop the run on a consistent basis.

The biggest problem, without a doubt, is the offense. The D has kept us in both losses into the 4th quarter, even with the big rushing totals against us. I didn't think the Hawks did much running against us - a few big runs, but they couldn't sustain drives early. The Colts were able to put together some longer drives, and that's a concern, but it's not a huge problem if the offense can actually score more than once a game.