• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NT

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
With all the talk about the WR's, The CB's, and the impressive journalism on who is wearing what hat these days...

Has there been any talk about the Nose Tackle position? Any news on who might be excelling or slated to start?

I was hoping to see camp notes at the bottom of the page on one of the many Harbaugh/Judge Judy columns, but I may have missed them? :/

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I think Dorsey is slated to start at NT. But the Niners need some depth in that dep't. I'm hoping for Richard Seymour to back him up on passing downs.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
that's the difficult thing with NT, it is so critical to a 3-4 scheme, yet he's only in on a third of snaps?

for me, i'd try to obtain a quality NT despite the 1/3. I would hate it if a play-off team could keep running at us.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all the talk about the WR's, The CB's, and the impressive journalism on who is wearing what hat these days...

Has there been any talk about the Nose Tackle position? Any news on who might be excelling or slated to start?

I was hoping to see camp notes at the bottom of the page on one of the many Harbaugh/Judge Judy columns, but I may have missed them? :/

I think Dorsey is slated to start at NT. But the Niners need some depth in that dep't. I'm hoping for Richard Seymour to back him up on passing downs.

Ian Williams got the bulk of the snaps today with the 1st team. Not sure if that means anything on the 1st day of practice though.

49ers camp report: Dahl, Williams line up as starters | CSN Bay Area

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm incredibly excited to see what the future brings for Ian Williams. He's one of my favorite players that went undrafted since 1998. On top of that, he's INCREDIBLY easy to root for and very intelligent off the field to boot.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'm incredibly excited to see what the future brings for Ian Williams. He's one of my favorite players that went undrafted since 1998. On top of that, he's INCREDIBLY easy to root for and very intelligent off the field to boot.

I'm with ya on all those points, but I'm extremely skeptical of his pure athletic talent. I think RJF was a better NT than he. He's one of those guys who's a 2nd stringer at a weak position or a 3rd stringer at a strong one IMO. Kind of like Parys Haralson only not as good IMO.

I hope I'm wrong and he pleasantly surprises me though.

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's the difficult thing with NT, it is so critical to a 3-4 scheme, yet he's only in on a third of snaps?

for me, i'd try to obtain a quality NT despite the 1/3. I would hate it if a play-off team could keep running at us.

Don't get excited about the avator... The kid cracks me up...

I don't think ya'll are going to be running a standard 3-4 that often in 2013.
It's going to resemble a 4-3 with varying between over and under.

Standard 3-4 is a 2 gap scheme and you're going to be running a 1 gap with your personnel a
good 80% of the time. 5 techs will move inside and outside depending on the strong side and
Aldon and Brooks will have pass rushing duties depending on the TE lineup. 1 can drop, the
other rushes.

Look for it in pre-season and let me know what your scheme appears to be. thx.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Standard 3-4 is a 2 gap scheme and you're going to be running a 1 gap with your personnel a
good 80% of the time. 5 techs will move inside and outside depending on the strong side and
Aldon and Brooks will have pass rushing duties depending on the TE lineup. 1 can drop, the
other rushes.

I think that the 9ers will use the standard 3-4 about 25% this season or less...Williams can handle that load IMO. A NT is not a major factor in the 9ers' defensive plans ,I believe.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

other rushes.

Even running the 3-4 the last few years, the Niners haven't 2-gapped much at all. They've been running a 1-gap 3-4 scheme.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

other rushes.

because of the passing trend, I can believe the snaps for a NT could dip to 20%? if so, makes it harder to 'chase after' or 'force' a top NT? but the good teams (ie play-off teams) do run well o still ok 'overspending' at NT. granted 'overspending' is relative cause wouldn't spend a 1st rounder for 20% of snaps.

right off the bat we face your Lynch, SJ is now in Atlanta (play-off team), we might fact AP in the play-offs, so still want a reasonably good NT.

btw - I recall reading about Seattle's D last year, and they run the same scheme as the 49ers. when the 49ers are in their 'hybrid 3-4' that is. but it was the 'Under 3-4 scheme', it didn't vary with Over?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we can get away with not having a top NT because of justin smith. but also willis and bowman might be the top 2 mlb's in the game. if justin smith ages quickly or gets injured, not having a top NT will hurt a lot more, like we seen last year.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
we can get away with not having a top NT because of justin smith. but also willis and bowman might be the top 2 mlb's in the game. if justin smith ages quickly or gets injured, not having a top NT will hurt a lot more, like we seen last year.

by NFL standards, JS is already 'aged'. then we already seen him get injured last year. so the odds of seeing 'last year' is high.

it is good we have TWO good ILB's, no doubt. but they can't function well if the NT is moved backward, or out of the way.

wouldn't go 'all out' for a NT, but would try to get a good one despite 33% of snaps. more so when we get into the play-offs, we can't be run on.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im a ND fan so I like what I have seen from Iam Williams. I think he will split time there.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
VERY early, but reports from the first padded practice are that Williams looked very good. A strong competition between Dorsey and Williams would be great for the team.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
VERY early, but reports from the first padded practice are that Williams looked very good. A strong competition between Dorsey and Williams would be great for the team.

I saw that report too, it'll be interesting to see how the O-Line bounces back from Ian apparently embarrassing them because I think it said he was bursting through the line a bunch of times.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats a good report or you can look at it that who ever is playing center is having a tough time. Next year we need to draft a Center in either Rd 2 or 3.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm hoping Dorsey will surprise us all and nail down that position. he's got some game and I'm sure he knows this is his last chance.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm hoping Dorsey will surprise us all and nail down that position. he's got some game and I'm sure he knows this is his last chance.

I don't see that. His draft status no longer matters, and he's a solid backup at worst. It's not like he's out of the league if he doesn't start for the Niners. It would be nice if he and Williams can get a rotation going, though. Dorsey can kick outside on early downs in base packages as well. Wouldn't want to do that too much, but he can back up all three DL spots in theory.