• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nova @ Syracuse

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a nobody gives a shit game. Kick off is this Friday, 29 Aug @ 7:00pm. I love Friday night games though.

I'm taking off and will be partying at Carmelo Center most of the afternoon. Got ribs and burgers....Lobster is on sale through the week for $6.99 per pound for the 1 pounders. So hope to pick up four or five of those Friday morning to throw on the grill too.

Even though it's a DII team....I sure am pumped that football is back. The line is SU -19.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully the basketball teams show up instead.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol....I was thinking the same thing. Maybe Jay Wright is coaching the football team.

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nova is a really good DII program. Don't think they win mind you but pretty good program for their size

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nova is a really good DII program. Don't think they win mind you but pretty good program for their size

I've heard this. I'm good with the line though. They are missing a couple of key players on D.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The return of the Saltine Warriors.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The return of the Saltine Warriors.

lmao....man you are an old dude.

SU is always one of the first to accept others views and change how the school is perceived on profiling, racism, the church etc. It's why SU changed from the Orangemen to Orange. And I'm sure you know the American Indians didn't like the Saltine Warriors.....stating something to the effect of white guys on a horse representing a war like Native American was inappropriate

After the redskins....you won't see SU go back to anything remotely like that. Thank you for the trip down memory lane though. It's been a while since I've heard that.

olympicoscar

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lmao....man you are an old dude.

SU is always one of the first to accept others views and change how the school is perceived on profiling, racism, the church etc. It's why SU changed from the Orangemen to Orange. And I'm sure you know the American Indians didn't like the Saltine Warriors.....stating something to the effect of white guys on a horse representing a war like Native American was inappropriate

After the redskins....you won't see SU go back to anything remotely like that. Thank you for the trip down memory lane though. It's been a while since I've heard that.

I didn't know they had changed that. When I listened to the broadcasts on radio in the 1950's, the announcer used to refer to them as the Saltine Warriors. I always assumed that was in reference to all the salt mines in the area.

As for Orangemen, I know they changed the name a while back, but what does the color orange have to do with Indians?

BritishDolfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't know they had changed that. When I listened to the broadcasts on radio in the 1950's, the announcer used to refer to them as the Saltine Warriors. I always assumed that was in reference to all the salt mines in the area.

As for Orangemen, I know they changed the name a while back, but what does the color orange have to do with Indians?

I know nothing about Syracuse, but I always assumed the Orange thing had to do with the Irish rather than Indians.

Orange Order - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

pennstatenut

Working with my wood
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dutch=Le Oranje

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think you've misunderstood where I was heading.

I haven't checked the wiki link yet, I'm answering on memory so take this for what it's worth. The term Saltine Warrior was a reference to the salt mines...but the logo was the head of an American Indian in full feather head set...which I want to say is the battle dress for the chief.

Kind of like FSU, they used to have a guy in native Indian head dress running around the field. The local Indian nations took offense and partitioned SU to change the name, stating it was insulting. That is when SU decided to go with the Orangemen.

Here I get fuzzy but tend to lean towards the Orangemen was a reference to the Protestant Irish group defending against Catholic emancipation. Not sure though.

Anyways....from there they change from Orangemen to Orange which had more to do with removing gender from the name. Again...bending to civil issues being raised at the time.

But I never attended SU...I'm just a sports fan that happens to live in the area.

olympicoscar

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you've misunderstood where I was heading.

I haven't checked the wiki link yet, I'm answering on memory so take this for what it's worth. The term Saltine Warrior was a reference to the salt mines...but the logo was the head of an American Indian in full feather head set...which I want to say is the battle dress for the chief.

Kind of like FSU, they used to have a guy in native Indian head dress running around the field. The local Indian nations took offense and partitioned SU to change the name, stating it was insulting. That is when SU decided to go with the Orangemen.

Here I get fuzzy but tend to lean towards the Orangemen was a reference to the Protestant Irish group defending against Catholic emancipation. Not sure though.

Anyways....from there they change from Orangemen to Orange which had more to do with removing gender from the name. Again...bending to civil issues being raised at the time.

But I never attended SU...I'm just a sports fan that happens to live in the area.

Ok, now who was Bill Orange? Somehow I remember that name being connected to the football team. It's not a player.

BritishDolfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That was my assumption too, but like I say, I know nothing about Syracuse (and only a bit about Ireland...).

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, now who was Bill Orange? Somehow I remember that name being connected to the football team. It's not a player.

I had never heard of him...so I googled it and got to an arcive site with SU University...so I guess it's a good source. It was a football fight song in the 1890's and the foot note uses the term Character for Bill Orange....a made up name is how I take it....

Bill Orange: A Syracuse Football Song
Harry Sheridan Lee, Class of 1899. words and music

Bill Orange is upon the sidelines
With a megaphone and flag in hand.
He leads the crowd to cheer like demons,
All up and down the old grandstand;
And as the ball is moving goal-ward
Each yard that's gained he's marking well
It's worth while to play for Old Bill Orange
For win or lose you'll always hear him yell:
Chorus:

"Get in the game to win, boys,
Ev'ry blessed mother's son of you;
Stand firm along the line,boys,
Watch the ball, this time it's going through.
Last night the sun set orange,
Omen ever sure and true,
Get in the game and win , boys,
Old Syracuse, she calls to you!"

Note: This song was written in the late 1890s before Archbold Stadium was built. All cheerleaders at that time were men because, it was thought, their voices were louder than women's voices. Harry Sheridan Lee used the men cheerleaders as inspiration for the character of Bill Orange, uniting SU's color Orange and the name Bill that "seemed to fit well with it."

Syracuse University Archives: Syracuse University History - Syracuse University Songs

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Syracuse weather for tomorrow's game is perfect...

High 76, Low 60, low humidty, zero percent chance of rain.

bbq time folks. :yahoo:

Loneranger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a nobody gives a shit game. Kick off is this Friday, 29 Aug @ 7:00pm. I love Friday night games though.

I'm taking off and will be partying at Carmelo Center most of the afternoon. Got ribs and burgers....Lobster is on sale through the week for $6.99 per pound for the 1 pounders. So hope to pick up four or five of those Friday morning to throw on the grill too.

Even though it's a DII team....I sure am pumped that football is back. The line is SU -19.

Jonvi , great to hear you're going. I'm looking forward to the season and so are a lot of other people. They've sold a lot more tix than they planned on and this is a good thing. Big yr for the Orange , let's hope they win as much as we think they can.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ranger....do you have season tickets? I do. Section 129, row F, and have two seats...111 & 112.