• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Notre Dame to ACC

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least this gets people talking about the ACC. And if ND ever wants full membership, we can kick out BC!

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well.. if talks of those 16-team super conferences come back up.. at least ND would join the ACC for football. Other than that... I just see this as a basketball move. And at this point it's going to be hard for VT to compete in basketball in the ACC.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming ND doesn't join the ACC until the 2015 season, it could be 2021 (worse case) before VT hosts ND in Blacksburg!

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Assuming ND doesn't join the ACC until the 2015 season, it could be 2021 (worse case) before VT hosts ND in Blacksburg!

To be sure. Virginia Tech will be the last school Notre Dame visits in this deal.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well.. if talks of those 16-team super conferences come back up.. at least ND would join the ACC for football. Other than that... I just see this as a basketball move. And at this point it's going to be hard for VT to compete in basketball in the ACC.

Another basketball move by basketball/UNC man John Swofford. Hey at least Swofford and ND are happy

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
where did they sit when the BCS playoff was determined?

hey foozman, can i get a little more info on why this post is ignorant?

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hate the deal and hate partial membership. the ACC needed ND in football, not everything else. shows that the conferences priorities still lie outside of football.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the full article is here , but the key piece of news is this:
Part of the agreement with Notre Dame calls for the Fighting Irish to play each ACC school in football at least once every three years. Weaver said he “absolutely” would prefer for those games to be on campus, not at a neutral site. Virginia Tech and Notre Dame have never met in football.

It could present some sticking points in future non-conference schedules. The ACC hopes to have Notre Dame enter the football rotation in the 2014-15 season. Weaver was unsure whether games against the Fighting Irish would be part of the ACC’s future nine-game schedule or if they’d be separate.

Because of the uncertainty of when Notre Dame will come onto Tech’s schedule, the Hokies will have told hold off on lining up future non-conference opponents. It’s unclear how or if this will affect Virginia Tech’s future home-and-home series with Ohio State (2014-15) and Wisconsin (2016-17).

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I neither love nor hate this move, but i do think this was prob the best move the ACC could have made at this time. You have to figure that the idea of full membership was on the table at some point in time during these negotiations and apparently ND declined. So basically the ACC did the best thing possible by taking ND out of the equation for any other conferences future expansion. If things go to a 4x16 or depending on how these playoffs shape out ND may be in a get in or get left out situation, IF that happens the ACC ends up with what was/is basically the biggest chip on the table.

Even without full membership the ACC as a whole will gain in every aspect:

-Im sure the ESPN deal will be renegotiated

-Ticket sales: (this doesnt effect VT) people come out to see ND. I could see places that dont traditionally fill up having full houses to see ND.

-Exposure: I'd be willing to bet that all 5 of those games are televised every year.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
hey foozman, can i get a little more info on why this post is ignorant?

You ignored what I said and brought up playoff voting. I'm talking about TV deals and money which only football brings

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You ignored what I said and brought up playoff voting. I'm talking about TV deals and money which only football brings

actually i read everything you had in that post, i didnt realize the post you quoted started off discussing TV negotiations because you cut out most of it. no need to get your undies in a twist.

regardless, ND's negotiating power at the BCS table is still plenty relevant to whether or not adding ND benefits the ACC overall (which is where we disagree in the first place). an alliance with ND will give the ACC another seat at these important tables. ND may not agree w/ the ACC in every instance, but it will certainly be more favorable to the ACC then any other conference

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I neither love nor hate this move, but i do think this was prob the best move the ACC could have made at this time. You have to figure that the idea of full membership was on the table at some point in time during these negotiations and apparently ND declined. So basically the ACC did the best thing possible by taking ND out of the equation for any other conferences future expansion. If things go to a 4x16 or depending on how these playoffs shape out ND may be in a get in or get left out situation, IF that happens the ACC ends up with what was/is basically the biggest chip on the table.

Even without full membership the ACC as a whole will gain in every aspect:

-Im sure the ESPN deal will be renegotiated

-Ticket sales: (this doesnt effect VT) people come out to see ND. I could see places that dont traditionally fill up having full houses to see ND.

-Exposure: I'd be willing to bet that all 5 of those games are televised every year.

Read earlier on twitter that ESPN/ACC are renegotiating. Should increase revenue by 1-2 million per school.

the full article is here , but the key piece of news is this:

I will be very upset if we lose the OSU or Wisky home and home series. Been looking forward to these games for a while.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty good deal all around if you look at it from both sides. ND gets pseudo-independance in football and total stability in everything else. The ACC pretty much locks its itself into existence when just a few months back, there were questions about teams leaving the conference. Plus, it gives them a nice bargaining chip for bowl and TV contracts. People can complain about how this isn't a football move all they want, but you've got the realize, this is the best deal out there. What did you expect the ACC to do? Lure Florida and Georgia into the conference? Please. And as for us, our window to move to another conference closed months ago so you're just been dreaming. It's not that bad of a deal. And really, if either Miami or FSU can get their shit together and we ourselves actually pull our weight on some BCS wins, the ACC would be a pretty strong football conference.

Some other quick thoughts:

We better get ND in Blacksburg. None of this BS playing at FedEx. Either we're playing on campuses or when we go to Indiana to play ND, we're playing at the Colts place. Seems fair enough. Which none of that will happen. You bet your ass we'll be playing ND at FedEx in 6 to 8 years.

This helps us out basketball wise. With Pitt, Syracuse, and ND entering, we're basically the new Big East. If the selection committee treats the ACC the way it did the Big East, basically any team that finishes in the top half of the conference will make the Tournament. Regardless of actual talent, the name recognition of the programs will give the allusion its a tough conference even if its not.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
actually i read everything you had in that post, i didnt realize the post you quoted started off discussing TV negotiations because you cut out most of it. no need to get your undies in a twist.

regardless, ND's negotiating power at the BCS table is still plenty relevant to whether or not adding ND benefits the ACC overall (which is where we disagree in the first place). an alliance with ND will give the ACC another seat at these important tables. ND may not agree w/ the ACC in every instance, but it will certainly be more favorable to the ACC then any other conference

Negotiating for what? Anything of real value? Adding ND is next to worthless as far as football which is all I'm concerned about

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Negotiating for what? Anything of real value? Adding ND is next to worthless as far as football which is all I'm concerned about

There should be more TV $$$ tied to this. The ACC/ESPN will own the rights to ND's ACC road games.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
There should be more TV $$$ tied to this. The ACC/ESPN will own the rights to ND's ACC road games.

A relatively small amount unless football is added. The only real winner in this is ND who I hate

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
A relatively small amount unless football is added. The only real winner in this is ND who I hate

rumored to be a few million per so that isnt bad.

Read earlier on twitter that ESPN/ACC are renegotiating. Should increase revenue by 1-2 million per school.

<------of course that is only rumor for now.

Last edited by a moderator: