• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NOT MAKING IT TIL THURSDAY!!!! THIS FRANCHISE IS A FUCKING JOKE!!

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I finally started reading that article (I'm at work, so not much time) and I made it through the first paragraph before I realized that all this hinges on the word of one Matt Millen.

That's right Doc, you're freaking out based on bullshit being spewed by the worst GM to ever run a team in any sport. Since when does/should his word carry any weight, whatsoever? He can say "look, it went down like this" all he wants, since the other party in question is now deceased and cannot refute his account of the story. And, imo, it's just that- a bullshit story from a bullshit former GM...

:fuck2give:

You do realize that Millen is a huge fan of Mayhew's right? If he didn't get the job based on Millen's recommendation then you just strengthened my case 10 fold on just how horrible and clueless of an owner WCF was and how horribly run this franchise is. Does a sane man and a good owner hire the #2 man who has been there while watching his franchise be the comedic joke of the NFL?

Seriously, what in the hell are you thinking? Those two are friends, it even says in there that Millen told Mayhew to distance himself from him. He was trying to keep his buddy from going down with the Titantic that was Millen's future. Mini Millen refused to do that, that's how close they are.

The article wasn't written by Millen, you know that right? Cause I'm beginning to wonder. To what points are you trying to argue as being bullshit? How Mayhew got the job? The Williams trade? Tell you what, we will just wait for the denials to come from Mayhew then. He certainly isn't going to just sit there quietly while his good friend is telling lies about him and throwing him under the bus right? :L

That's right TP, your staggering blind faith in everything this franchise does is based upon you apparently failing to even give one moments thought before you started smacking keystrokes to put forth that response. You completely misinterpreted the entire article and in the end made points that support the things I had to say rather than dispel them in even the slightest bit. I guess I should say thank you.

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about this quote from the article?

"People who are paid to know things about football, with a striking degree of uniformity, both on and off the record, maintain that Mayhew has the Lions headed in the right direction.

He is highly intelligent, they say. He has learned from his gaffes. He has evolved, particularly in the draft."

Wait a minute, now the author has credibility?? :pound:

In your demented little Lions world you claim the author has filled up his article with the bullshit statements and lies of Millen when talking about his good friend but when that same author makes a statement that praises Mayhew (which was the point of the entire article you jackass) its a factual statement of truth to you.

Wow, what praise they offer. Awesome!! Super Bowl here we come, our savior is Martin Mayhew who is smart and learned from his mistakes, especially in the draft. :yes:

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:fuck2give:

You do realize that Millen is a huge fan of Mayhew's right? If he didn't get the job based on Millen's recommendation then you just strengthened my case 10 fold on just how horrible and clueless of an owner WCF was and how horribly run this franchise is. Does a sane man and a good owner hire the #2 man who has been there while watching his franchise be the comedic joke of the NFL?

Seriously, what in the hell are you thinking? Those two are friends, it even says in there that Millen told Mayhew to distance himself from him. He was trying to keep his buddy from going down with the Titantic that was Millen's future. Mini Millen refused to do that, that's how close they are.

The article wasn't written by Millen, you know that right? Cause I'm beginning to wonder. To what points are you trying to argue as being bullshit? How Mayhew got the job? The Williams trade? Tell you what, we will just wait for the denials to come from Mayhew then. He certainly isn't going to just sit there quietly while his good friend is telling lies about him and throwing him under the bus right? :L

That's right TP, your staggering blind faith in everything this franchise does is based upon you apparently failing to even give one moments thought before you started smacking keystrokes to put forth that response. You completely misinterpreted the entire article and in the end made points that support the things I had to say rather than dispel them in even the slightest bit. I guess I should say thank you.

Yes, because that dude just witnessed first-hand exactly everything to never, ever do as a GM. He got a free first-hand education on how NOT to run an NFL franchise.

I definitely don't have blind faith in our franchise, I just don't freak out over shit like this that the media kicks out, nor am I on a undiscriminating witch-hunt in which I twist every single move, article, or rumor about the Lions into something I can use to bash Mayhew...

I don't think I misinterpreted it at all, that's certainly not the only time that I've read/heard that Mayhew is highly respected in league circles.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about this quote from the article?

"People who are paid to know things about football, with a striking degree of uniformity, both on and off the record, maintain that Mayhew has the Lions headed in the right direction.

He is highly intelligent, they say. He has learned from his gaffes. He has evolved, particularly in the draft."

Those particular people are employees of the Packers, Bears and Vikings.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tell you what, we will just wait for the denials to come from Mayhew then. He certainly isn't going to just sit there quietly while his good friend is telling lies about him and throwing him under the bus right? :L

meh.. If Mayhew wants to show any class at all, he won't say a thing at the moment as he's still the LIONS GM. Sometimes you've got to suck it up and move on and say nothing at all.

Mayhew is still earning a 7-figure salary per year as a GM.

Millen is trying the way of commentary on a College Football show.

who's the winner there right at this moment

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, because that dude just witnessed first-hand exactly everything to never, ever do as a GM. He got a free first-hand education on how NOT to run an NFL franchise.

I definitely don't have blind faith in our franchise, I just don't freak out over shit like this that the media kicks out, nor am I on a undiscriminating witch-hunt in which I twist every single move, article, or rumor about the Lions into something I can use to bash Mayhew...

I don't think I misinterpreted it at all, that's certainly not the only time that I've read/heard that Mayhew is highly respected in league circles.

I was not protecting Mayhew as much as not seeing how Millen is creditable as a source in any debate. Many points Meow has are truthful about Mayhew. Just scrappig at the bottom of the barrel to use Millen as a source of clown show hatred.

Not a fan of Mayhew... But TP do you expect other GMs to say anything but good of a fellow colleague? Not like anybody was really bashing Millen openly. When pretty much everybody knew he sucked.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are you guys thoughts on Mayhew?

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayhew is all

aces.gif

in my book over the last couple years

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was not supposed to mention The Clown Show or rip into them until Thursday night after they at least made their pick and then I came across this.
The evolution of Detroit Lions GM Martin Mayhew | MLive.com

Other than this being the biggest ass kiss piece I've ever seen from an author who shit his own bed with the front office after ripping them after losing Suh the details put forth here are an absolute outrage.

Millen is the one who TOLD Ford what he was going to do because the senile stupid fuck didn't otherwise know. Are you shitting me?? There couldn't be more proof of just what a clueless and worthless owner WCF was. The hell with loyalty, that doesn't equal wins in the NFL and that's what matters.

You want to know why we have a whopping two wildcard loss appearances in the last two and half decades its because you effectively still have Millen running the team. Mayhew was hand picked for the job by Millen. And Lewand was promoted as well because that is what Millen told Ford to do.

No more credit to Mayhew for the Roy Williams trade because Millen had that all set up (his own words), he just wasn't there anymore to finish it. I skipped over most of garbage about what a great guy Mayhew is because I could care less. His tenure with the Lions has been a long time, and there is no way you cant associate the Millen years with him directly when he was the hand picked successor by the most clueless front office fuck in the history of the league.

I've been pissed at this shithole franchise before but NEVER like this. What a god damn joke they are!! Support these clowns all you want but so long as they are in charge and a Ford owns the team wildcard losses are the best you are ever going to get as a fan.

Who gives a rat's ass who they draft this weekend, its not going to change anything until everyone at the top of this fucked up franchise is gone. :gaah:

Fred-sanford-heart-attack-o.gif

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how this article brought anything new to the table. Everybody knows he started off terrible, and it is clear that he has improved. There is debate about how much he has improved.

I personally think that he has gone from terrible to maybe average with 1 great draft to his name. Rehashing this argument does not do anything, especially since the article provided no new material.

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
especially since the article provided no new material.
I had never heard before that it was Millen, who as the article is written, told WCF what to do.

I had never heard that it was Millen who set up the Williams trade.

I didn't know the extent to how close Millen Jr and Millen Sr were.

I didn't know that we had ownership so inept that they didn't even have a succession plan in place as they went to fire their President/GM and as a result ended up doing what the worst front office man in league history suggested (told) them to do. One more fuck up can't hurt right, he had been so good in the role himself that he surely was the right guy to pick his replacement.

I actually think there was quite a bit of new material provided in that article, and none of it was good.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had never heard before that it was Millen, who as the article is written, told WCF what to do.

I had never heard that it was Millen who set up the Williams trade.

I didn't know the extent to how close Millen Jr and Millen Sr were.

I didn't know that we had ownership so inept that they didn't even have a succession plan in place as they went to fire their President/GM and as a result ended up doing what the worst front office man in league history suggested (told) them to do. One more fuck up can't hurt right, he had been so good in the role himself that he surely was the right guy to pick his replacement.

I actually think there was quite a bit of new material provided in that article, and none of it was good.

I take what Millen says with a grain of salt. Earlier he claimed that he called the raiders and told them to not draft Jamarcus Russell. He seems to be on a campaign to rewrite the past to put him in a better light. It may be true and it may not be.

More importantly if it is true that he recommended Mayhew for the job it changes nothing in my mind. He was still awful when he got into office, and got better as time went on. How he got there does not matter. The Lions should still move on either way, it is not like he can be more fired because of the way he got hired.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Lions fan and unfortunately one that has followed them for years my belief is...
1. Ford is loyal to a fault. Russ Thomas, Wayne Fontes, Millen and now Mayhew. All guys allowed to stay way past their expiration date. All guys that were loyal to WCF as well. And I watched as good guys left this organization to go elsewhere.

2. The Lions do not like to eat contracts. 1 year maybe 2 less so. The cheap factor has always been a issue.

Mayhew has a new concern. WCF is gone and mom is running the team and shed looks to be way less tolerant. Lets see how long she puts up with BS if this team starts to backslide.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Mayhew started to turn the corner, for the positive, intially in the 2012 Draft. I'm not saying Mayhew fully acknowledged all of his misfortunes of drafts in 2010 and 2011 as it would be too early in some cases. If you look at the 2012 draft he has a starter in Reiff manning the blind side. Bentley was a starter before his injury (yes most of us want him gone because he's a liability but he didn't have Austin coaching him in 2012 or 2013 and had only 1 pre-season and 2 regular season games. Whitehead become a starter and did a pretty solid but not spectacular job once Tulloch went down and Broyles has had absolutely no good luck escaping the injury bug. Broyles played pretty well when he wasn't injured.

In the 2013 draft, Ansah became an immediate starter as well as Warford providing some impact. Slay being a rookie CB, we should have expected his roller coaster ride. Slay made the turn around this year while Ansah improved a little more and Warford had the injury bug but was still better with the injury than Peterman ever was. Devin Taylor and Riddick both were rotational players who helped to provide some decent quality play. Sam Martin become the starting punter and earned it (Kickalicious anyone and the older vet guy?) Fuller was practice squad guy but showed some flashes this year that look promising. Wadd;e as UDFA provided some decent impact as a starting RT and was expected to earn that position for 2014 until his training camp calf injury.

In 2014 we all have heard about Ebron's not meeting expectations of Lions fans. He played slot/joker TE more than anything at U.N.C. and very little inline TE plus some x or z once in while. He wasn't a refined inline TE or outside wr while at U.N.C. either. The pro level is much more advanced than what he ever learned at college. VanNoy got hurt in that last pre-season game in the first Def. series after having a couple camp injuries already. Core surgery is no joke, I would think. Look at what it did to Miggy and Verlander and both of them struggled coming off those type of surgeries (different sport and different use of muscles but still). IMO only, Van Noy struggled coming off of PUP due to missing out on all that practice time all the while learning a more complicated pro scheme. Swanson started 3 games for Warford and 1 for Dom. He did alright for being a rookie. Lawson stepped right in for Bentley and at least shows some promise. I know from my eyes that Lawson played better in his rookie camp and first couple of regular season games than Bentley showed in his first year. Webster was red-shirted but is athletic as can be and is hopeful to produce this year in the coaches eyes or Mayhew more than likely would have kept George Johnson. Reid got a little rotational snaps so there's nothing much there but is expected to provide more reps this year. Freese was a bust. Yukon Cornelius only had 4 starts and some finishing up a couple games due to injuries to Hilliard and Waddle. You stated Lucas could possibly be the Lions LT or at least be given the opportunity to see if he can handle the blind side. right ?

Mayhews 2009 draft still has Stafford, Pettigrew and Levy.

2010 theentire class of 2011 is gone and getting a 3rd round comp pick in 2016 for that entire class, really only Suh, sure sucks and is an absolute disaster, BUST.

2011 wash/rinse/repeat from above except we get a 5th round comp pick from Fairley for that entire draft class.

My point is, Mayhew has turned that corner and has progressively gotten better each year. If you want to point out that 2014 sucks because Ebron, VanNoy and Swanson haven't did squat, you'd be right. They all are expected to improve this coming year and honestly shouldn't be judged until end of 2016, same goes for 2013 draft class(judge after 2015 season). Sometimes I truly believe fans expect most 1st, 2nd and even 3rd possibly 4th round players to exceed much better than is probable or likely anticipated by GM and coaching staff.