• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Northwestern @ Nebraska Week

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
11:00 am (Central)
ESPN2

Huskers Open (-6.5)
Now (-7.5)

Long Range Forecast

Temperature: 64* (probably low to mid 50's at game start)
Partly Cloudy
Precipitation: 20%
Wind: NNW 13 mph

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Northwestern is like a 'carbon copy' of Minnesota.

45th in Rushing Offense.
Terrible in Passing Offense. (119th)
Good in Passing Defense. (7th)
Average in Rushing Defense. (54th)
64th in Turnover Margin

The only real difference is NW is 8th in Fewest Penalties.

Just run the ball, win the turnover margin, minimize penalties, and the Huskers should win.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted this in the Minnesota Week thread last week. Same applies this Saturday.

I actually like Nebraska in this game. IF they run the damn ball, break even on turnovers, and clean up the penalties to 40 yds or so. That gives them 5 false starts and one PI, two PI's and two false starts, whatever.

It's week 7, on top of the full spring and fall. Things are evident regarding what this team does well and what it does poorly. These coaches are 'supposed' to be seasoned veterans. I'd expected an improvement by now, but maybe this is the week.

It's time for this staff to call a winnable game plan. That means playing Big 10 ball. You know...The ingredient that has defined the Big 10 since forever?

Put the left coast stuff in the dumpster for this one game. Let this team win a winnable game for morale. It will do wonders for them going into Northwestern at home where they'll need a virtually identical game-plan.

These guys are supposed to be offensive minds. They ought to be able watch film and dissect an opponents defense. They're responsible to game-plan to exploit their opponent's (while acknowledge their own) weakness within 6 days.
In all reality, they should be able to acknowledge their own weaknesses after the first few weeks. It's what separates the widely successful coach from the average. Attention to detail.

All I ask is, (at the very minimum) look at Minnesota's stats. These stats say "Don't spend the afternoon trying to throw on them". Their pass defense is #15 (yds allowed) and #9 (pass efficiency). They don't give up a lot through the air.
To add to that....
1) The chances of turnovers rise significantly when the ball is in the air. Turnovers lose games. Not only because it's common sense that there's not even a hand on the ball for it's entire duration, but also because Tommy has to force throws because he's running for his life.
2) The chances of (10 yd from the spot of the foul) holding penalties rises significantly. I.E. 3rd and 5 is now 3rd and 15.

To sum it up......The left coast stuff works in Pasadena on Jan 1st where the PAC is 45-29 in Rose Bowls. It's a great environment to sling it around. However, it doesn't work across the Plains or the Midwest in Oct/Nov. To beat Big 10 teams (I.E. WIN tBig 10) you have to play Big 10 style smash-mouth. No different than the old Big 8. It is a MUST.

I hate to say this, but at least Bopleeny (in his infinite dumbfuckery) knew that.

Am I too simpleminded?

:comeatmebro:

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, we won the turnover battle by a long shot and we only committed 2 turnovers against Minnesota.

If we did that every week we'd run the table.

I think that is the biggest key to us continuing to win. Get out of our own way, and we're talented enough to beat anyone in this conference.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think about this..........

A 3-4 team is picked to beat a team by more than a TD from a power Conference who is 5-2 with their only 2 losses coming against #15 Michigan and #12 Iowa.......and they kicked the shit out of #10 Stanford.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only if the Huskers spend all week with their heads in the clouds, or the staff wants to sling the ball around all day.

NW is still getting votes right now.....

So if we're 7.5 points better than them, then we are the best 3-4 team to ever exist. And last week we were the best 2-4 team to ever exist.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, we won the turnover battle by a long shot and we only committed 2 turnovers against Minnesota.

If we did that every week we'd run the table.

I think that is the biggest key to us continuing to win. Get out of our own way, and we're talented enough to beat anyone in this conference.

The Huskers committed ZERO turnovers against Minnesota.

Minnesota committed 3 turnovers. However 2 of those were late interceptions when the game was already in hand. The one Minnesota fumble had an impact on the game.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Huskers committed ZERO turnovers against Minnesota.

Minnesota committed 3 turnovers. However 2 of those were late interceptions when the game was already in hand. The one Minnesota fumble had an impact on the game.

Sorry, I meant 2 penalties.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wartching American Sniper right now and trying to plorst at the same time.

I totally fucked that up.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Punt Return Defense

Northwestern: 1st
Nebraska.....: 94th

But Nebraska's got De'mornay

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, the talent isn't terrible, but a system change and coaching changes wrapped in BLo's insanity caused havoc in our players - talent kept the games close.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, the talent isn't terrible, but a system change and coaching changes wrapped in BLo's insanity caused havoc in our players - talent kept the games close.

This is it. The only talent that was bad on the team was the linebackers going into 2015. Chris Weber and Marcus Newby need to be on the field. The "I Got Fired and Fuck Them" meeting was a complete dick move by the previous staff.

I predict a Nebraska victory and 4-4. I can see Nebraska going bowling. Heart of Dallas Bowl game or the Music City Bowl Game are the two that I would actually attend(I am assuming no Florida Bowl games and no Rose Bowl).

I will never, ever attend the Pinstripe Bowl because of the association with Dan Nero Beebe.

Big Ten Bowl Partners Big Ten Conference Official Site

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think about this..........

A 3-4 team is picked to beat a team by more than a TD from a power Conference who is 5-2 with their only 2 losses coming against #15 Michigan and #12 Iowa.......and they kicked the shit out of #10 Stanford.

Yea, not to sure about this one.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
which team is going to show up this week? consistency particularly on offense is the one thing we'd been lacking for years. its what was lacking in the first 6 games of the year as well. it was much better this past saturday and hopefully we can keep it rolling.

Northwestern is a tough team to peg as others have mentioned they are still getting votes, they have two poor showings in a row now so i feel we'll get their best shot on Saturday.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is it. The only talent that was bad on the team was the linebackers going into 2015. Chris Weber and Marcus Newby need to be on the field. The "I Got Fired and Fuck Them" meeting was a complete dick move by the previous staff.

I predict a Nebraska victory and 4-4. I can see Nebraska going bowling. Heart of Dallas Bowl game or the Music City Bowl Game are the two that I would actually attend(I am assuming no Florida Bowl games and no Rose Bowl).

I will never, ever attend the Pinstripe Bowl because of the association with Dan Nero Beebe.

Big Ten Bowl Partners Big Ten Conference Official Site

If nebraska wins out...Outback it is assuming they don't win the conference.

most likely - Foster Farms Bowl against ASU or UCLA