• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nodl Claimed by Carolina

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ha look i hate shelley, ask ANYONE. i'm talking about Nodl, and I have watched this guy now for this will be the 3rd season and when is he going to prove to me he is what everyone here is tellin me he is?

the guy is hurt every other game, good defensively but inept offensively. had adequate time last year with more than capable offensive linemates and after a strong start was stagnant.

i wish him luck but i don't see him getting the opportunity here so good for him that he will go somewhere else to play.

Ironic that his name is NoDL.....

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really get waiving Nodl over Shelley, unless Shelley's singlehandedly holdinng the team together in the locker room, because his cap hit is more and he does less on the ice. The two most significant games Shelley has ever had involving the Flyers were both in 2010 when he scored both of the goals he scored on the ENTIRE season against us. Nodl isn't good, mind you. He's defensively alright, but his main purpose is to suck up ice time so Giroux can manscape his molestache between shifts. That said, Shelley doesn't do anything for the team that it doesn't already get from other folks. Rinaldo has the "will fight anything that moves" and "take penalties for perfectly legal hits" niches filled, so we don't need Shelley for that.

Seriously, the only reasons to waive Nodl over Shelley are contract numbers (because nobody would claim Shelley), locker room presence (which I doubt Shelley has), or Shelley has some dirt on some shady stuff and the Flyers are buying him off, in a sense.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
by the canes

the flyers will regret this. decent size, good speed, responsible defensively, can play the PK and has filled in at times in the top 6, and he's cheap. but by all means, keep shelley who can manage 4 minutes/game on a good night, might drop the gloves once this season, and costs almost twice as much. i understand your thought process perfectly. the ONLY sense this makes is if the flyers felt they owed nodl the shot and then catered to him by waiving him, similar to the Zherdev situation last year, but i highly doubt that was the case.

to me, this guy has patrick sharp II written all over him. good luck nodl, make homer regret it.

Upside will be 15 goals in a full season.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a shame it couldnt be Shitty, but I am not crushed. He is good for what he does, and what he does comes a dime a dozen, and we have about a nickel's worth waiting for his job.

10 guys that are the exact same in the system. Good 4th lilne pk guy. I liked Kalinski better.

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I am not surprised that Nodl was claimed, I am not terribly upset that he gone. That said, the constant banging on Shelley and blaming him for everything wrong because of how the coach chooses to use or not use him...and who will or wont drop the gloves against him....is just BS. Shelley is a legitimate heavyweight fighter in a league that has few one dimensional fighters any longer. Shelley COULD play more and be used more on even strength. He is not as much of a dead weight as some like to paint him as. He is not as flexible as Nodl in moving him to other lines, but he is a capable NHL player. He is dramatically overpaid, but that is Holmgren's fault more than Shelley's and rather than blaming him and complaining about him...blame the GM who made the offer.

PhillyPhaithful48

Pickles will Prevail
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
10 guys that are the exact same in the system. Good 4th lilne pk guy. I liked Kalinski better.

Funny, I really compared Nodl to Kalinski.

Both are guys I liked. Solid fill ins for injuries, but really they are nothing more than that. Unfortunately for Nodl, he is just not that talented. We have a very deep team and decisions have to be made. Should Shelley have gone before Nodl? absofuckinglutely. But for some reason management has a hard on for him.

I was a big Nodl advocate to start this season. He played his ass off. Never took shifts off. But when it comes down to it, he is a solid 3rd/4th line player on an injury plagued flyers team.

I wish him luck elsewhere, he deserves a better shot. Don't think he'll be a threat in the future like a Patrick Sharp (Who I knew was a stud but Hitch hated him).

PhillyPhaithful48

Pickles will Prevail
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
While I am not surprised that Nodl was claimed, I am not terribly upset that he gone. That said, the constant banging on Shelley and blaming him for everything wrong because of how the coach chooses to use or not use him...and who will or wont drop the gloves against him....is just BS. Shelley is a legitimate heavyweight fighter in a league that has few one dimensional fighters any longer. Shelley COULD play more and be used more on even strength. He is not as much of a dead weight as some like to paint him as. He is not as flexible as Nodl in moving him to other lines, but he is a capable NHL player. He is dramatically overpaid, but that is Holmgren's fault more than Shelley's and rather than blaming him and complaining about him...blame the GM who made the offer.

Shelley is a terrible hockey player and nothing more than a locker room character that can drop the gloves and fight with the toughest in the league.

But, most who know my views know that I can't stand the so called "heavy weight fighters" who do nothing but take up space on a talented roster. He is not a hitting threat, he has no speed, he skates like Bambi with vertigo, and has 0 shot.

What Dubinksky said about him was spot on.

That said I hope Shelley beats Dubinski's ass though I doubt Dub would drop the gloves.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nodl's spot was taken over by guys like Rinaldo and Harry Z. I wish him the best but he was not a difference maker and very soft on the puck. Adios. What this really means is that they have some extra cap space for Schenn (happy to see him back hopefully he gets his mojo soon) and an extra contract to possibly pick up a dman....although I'm cool with the AHL guys as they haven't played bad at all.

As for Shelley no one would have grabbed him he plays when they need him just too bad his cap hit is that big. I'm sure he would have been moved but they needed a contract spot badly.

Oh ya when the fuck is someone going to hit crosby hard...and I mean hard? Maybe Rinaldo?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying losing nodl is going to hurt the team dramatically. I just think he's a solid role player and I don't see the point. If they sign a dman tomorrow I'll see the point (waive nodl, get him claimed, open roster spot, sign dman). But til then it's just a move that doesn't make any sense to me

And wbon, as an experienced skater of 20-30 trips to the rink, I can honestly say I'm a better skater than Jody Shelley. I'm not sure he could beat a one-legged cat with tuberculosis in a race from end line to end line. He is not a functional hockey player.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They could be trying to sign McCabe now, I'm pretty sure he's still out there and he has a cannon from the point.

PhillyPhaithful48

Pickles will Prevail
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm not saying losing nodl is going to hurt the team dramatically. I just think he's a solid role player and I don't see the point. If they sign a dman tomorrow I'll see the point (waive nodl, get him claimed, open roster spot, sign dman). But til then it's just a move that doesn't make any sense to me

And wbon, as an experienced skater of 20-30 trips to the rink, I can honestly say I'm a better skater than Jody Shelley. I'm not sure he could beat a one-legged cat with tuberculosis in a race from end line to end line. He is not a functional hockey player.

Being max'd out of contracts is a dangerous thing that we never should have approached. I think we knew he was good enough to get claimed unlike Shelley, and we wanted that little bit of wiggle room in case we needed to bring in another contract via trade, Schenn getting healthy, etc.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont see the FLyers siging anyone, unless it is a contract for a few games. Pronger will be back, and he'll bring back his cap hit

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont see the FLyers siging anyone, unless it is a contract for a few games. Pronger will be back, and he'll bring back his cap hit

A pro-rated $1m contract would easily fit under the cap for another dman. Everyone has to remember that when Pronger and Lilja are healthy that Gustaffson and Marshall(possibly Boudon) will be sent bad to ADK so we would have the cap space. McCabe maybe a decent option in the grand scheme of things if he's stayed in game shape and wants a chance to prove he can still play. He has an edge that we desperately need on the back end with Pronger out and he has always been a more then capable point man on the PP. Even as a 6/7th I'd prefer McCabe to Lilja.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCabe would be a nice option, and at this point he really has to take the money. Just a random non-Suter though, but Id really like picking up Scott Hannah from the Flames. Only 1mil hit, dont know what it would take though.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Insider suggesed yesterday the Avs could move a dman. The 1 comment suggests it is either O'Bryne or O'Brien. Dont really know either of them, any thoughts?

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I know the Av's d-men are all decent and have good up side, but they're young and may not develop into what we need this season.

Scott Hannan would be another good option, a real character guy and a serviceable stay at home d-man.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think i like the mccabe idea..he could be useful in the future too on the 2nd PP unit when pronger gets back.. cause its pretty clear that we dont have a point shot aside from pronger

when lilja and pronger do come back, we would have quite the list of d-men though, cause mccabe is probably the best option as the 6th d-man.. i'd take gust over lilja as the 7.. so what do we do w/ lilja? waive him? keep him as an 8th dman? i dont know if we have room for that.. i think i saw somewhere the flyers currently have 5.4 mil in room with pronger, lilja, and gust on LTIR.. sign mccabe for 1 (which would pro-rate to like 750k i think?).. then i guess pronger would take 4-ish maybe if his gets prorated? bourdon and marshall down, their space covered by lilja and gust?

aka, i can see why they're going to see how this goes first haha