• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No TJ Ward for the Lions........

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He just signed with the Broncos. Donte Whitner is heading to Cleveland. Clemons from Miami seems like the one guy who may be a fit here.

superdave2773

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and signed for a lot below his value to play in Denver too!

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't see what he signed for? CBS didn't have what his contract was.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4Y/23M WITH 14 million in guaranteed money

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4th grade math and the need to extend a few guys says the Lions will not be signing ANY of the premium FAs. I think they look for bargains from the mid-level guys and if they don't get any, draft for need and THEN try to fill holes.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4th grade math and the need to extend a few guys says the Lions will not be signing ANY of the premium FAs. I think they look for bargains from the mid-level guys and if they don't get any, draft for need and THEN try to fill holes.

Detroit Lions have more cap space to work with than recent offseasons as free agency opens | MLive.com

The article states we actually have more money this year than we did last year thanks to the releasing of a few vets and the 8.1% hike in cap. So while we have the funds to make a splash, it's never a guarantee. Sometimes players simply want to play elsewhere.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The article states we actually have more money this year than we did last year thanks to the releasing of a few vets and the 8.1% hike in cap. So while we have the funds to make a splash, it's never a guarantee. Sometimes players simply want to play elsewhere.

They have more money because of the cap hike, but so does every team in the NFL because of the cap hike.

I read yesterday on CBS where there was only 4 teams with less money to spend than the Lions. One of which is the Saints, so no clue how they signed Jarius Byrd.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have more money because of the cap hike, but so does every team in the NFL because of the cap hike.

I read yesterday on CBS where there was only 4 teams with less money to spend than the Lions. One of which is the Saints, so no clue how they signed Jarius Byrd.

Bc shit can get done, plain and simple. We don't know all the ins and outs that the players and front office go through. I mean they have guys living and breathing this stuff. How many times have u heard multiple posters talk about how we can't afford so and so, yet the Lions find ways to afford so and so, or others in replacement?

We released Burley and Delmas and that helped free up a ton of money(for the Lions anyway). I'm not saying we're in a great financial position, but we're far better off than what some think, and it wasn't ALL due to the cap hike(but it helped). IMHO.

lionscanWIN

The Morenci Mauler
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
preaching to the choir micro and i could not have said it any better. it would be nice if we had 50 plus mill to toss around but then we wouldn't have calvin and stafford on the payroll and that is a trade off i am happy with.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn that is a serious super bowl contender discount, wow.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bc shit can get done, plain and simple. We don't know all the ins and outs that the players and front office go through. I mean they have guys living and breathing this stuff. How many times have u heard multiple posters talk about how we can't afford so and so, yet the Lions find ways to afford so and so, or others in replacement?

We released Burley and Delmas and that helped free up a ton of money(for the Lions anyway). I'm not saying we're in a great financial position, but we're far better off than what some think, and it wasn't ALL due to the cap hike(but it helped). IMHO.

I understand Detroit can move money around from their current roster to free up space. The way to do that though is to push the cap hit back, which they did with players like Stafford, Calvin and Suh. The team then hopes the cap with increase in the future years (which it finally did this year). That is why we have seen the enormous cap hits for those players in past years and Suh with a 22 million dollar hit this year.

Detroit is still one of the teams who is in cap hell because of those type of moves. At some point the team has to eat the cap hit, either by signing the player to an extension (like Calvin and Stafford) and spreading it out over the length of the extension or if they don't re-sign Suh to an extension, then Detroit will have a 22 million dollar hit for him this year, thus costing them the opportunity to upgrade in FA.

You can look at the cap space by team for yourself and see the position the Lions are in compared to the rest of the league.
2014 NFL Cap Tracker

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand Detroit can move money around from their current roster to free up space. The way to do that though is to push the cap hit back, which they did with players like Stafford, Calvin and Suh. The team then hopes the cap with increase in the future years (which it finally did this year). That is why we have seen the enormous cap hits for those players in past years and Suh with a 22 million dollar hit this year.

Detroit is still one of the teams who is in cap hell because of those type of moves. At some point the team has to eat the cap hit, either by signing the player to an extension (like Calvin and Stafford) and spreading it out over the length of the extension or if they don't re-sign Suh to an extension, then Detroit will have a 22 million dollar hit for him this year, thus costing them the opportunity to upgrade in FA.

You can look at the cap space by team for yourself and see the position the Lions are in compared to the rest of the league.
2014 NFL Cap Tracker

But they didn't just move cap hits back. They've also released used up vets. That frees up money to be able to sign other, more productive players with a higher upside.

And I know we're not in the greatest cap spot(I read those sites too) but I'd much rather be in our financial position than in the position of a team like Oakland who has shit talent but a ton of money to spend. Money can't bring cohesiveness. And I like the chance our young guys have to gel together.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit Lions have more cap space to work with than recent offseasons as free agency opens | MLive.com

for me, with $8MM in cap space (not sure if rookie salaries must come from this) the Lions must get for next year:

1 starting safety
1 starting WR
1 starting TE
1 starting DE

it would be nice to see a CB, another WR, another DE, a T, and an OLB.

8 million isn't going to go very far there. Enough for one premium guy or 3 mid-to-low-level guys and some veteran mins. We can probably expect to get the LB or WR with the first pick, and either a WR or S with the second. Re-sign Young and Pettigrew and that's about it.

NOW, if they can extend Suh and get his cap number reasonable, everything changes.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for me, with $8MM in cap space (not sure if rookie salaries must come from this) the Lions must get for next year:

1 starting safety
1 starting WR
1 starting TE
1 starting DE

it would be nice to see a CB, another WR, another DE, a T, and an OLB.

8 million isn't going to go very far there. Enough for one premium guy or 3 mid-to-low-level guys and some veteran mins. We can probably expect to get the LB or WR with the first pick, and either a WR or S with the second. Re-sign Young and Pettigrew and that's about it.

NOW, if they can extend Suh and get his cap number reasonable, everything changes.

The rookies alone to sign will cost nearly 6 mil which is included in that ALMOST 8 mil. Then you have to factor in a 53 man roster plus 8 practice squad players. Suh needs to extend to free up room for rookies or someone/several will be getting a re-structure(s)