• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No ring for the flopper Anderson Verajao

lebron23james

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, it depends on the circumstances. In Varejao's case, I think he should get one. He played his whole career with the Cavs and stuck with them when they sucked. He didn't ask to be traded. If he doesn't want a ring, that's fine. But the Cavs should at least show some class and offer.

The Lakers gave Elgin Baylor a ring even though he retired 9 games into the season when they won the '71-'72 title. Pretty sure (but not 100%) that they've given them to a couple of guys who were traded during championship seasons as well.

He went out of his way to sorta trash the cavs once he left

Threw delly under the bus

Then tried flopping like crazy in the finals instead of just playing straight up with your old team and got..I wouldn't give him a ring

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He went out of his way to sorta trash the cavs once he left

Threw delly under the bus

Then tried flopping like crazy in the finals instead of just playing straight up with your old team and got..I wouldn't give him a ring

Hadn't heard that he trashed them. If that's true...fuck him...no ring.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if a player literally tries to stop the other team from winning a ring so the team he plays for wins it instead means he should only get a ring if his team wins.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if a player literally tries to stop the other team from winning a ring so the team he plays for wins it instead means he should only get a ring if his team wins.

The SF Giants did it differently, in 2010 Benji Molina got traded midyear from the Giants to the Rangers. The Giants beat the Rangers in that World Series, so I believe they gave Molina a ring.

Not saying your idea is wrong or right just noting others have done it differently. Maybe Varejao burned too many bridges.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He had no choice in who he was traded to. He didn't demand the trade or give the Cavs a list of teams he was willing to be traded to. What was he supposed to do? Not play?

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I thought, the Cavs did offer Vareajo his ring. @gordontrue said Varaejo would likely decline it, which it looks like he has done.

This was the best probably for both parties. The Cavs did the right thing by offering the ring. Vareajo probably did the right thing by declining it too.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He should request the ring, but immediately place it on eBay.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had no choice in who he was traded to. He didn't demand the trade or give the Cavs a list of teams he was willing to be traded to. What was he supposed to do? Not play?

Not at all, but I think if you are in the finals the winning teams players get rings, the losings teams don't no matter where they were earlier in the season.

Has nothing to do with where he wants to play but to me, the only way you should get a ring is if you win a championship. I see a player got one once for retiring early in the season when that team went on to win, and even consider that a bit weak honestly. But giving a ring to your finals opponent seems really down the "everyone gets a trophy" trail.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not at all, but I think if you are in the finals the winning teams players get rings, the losings teams don't no matter where they were earlier in the season.

Has nothing to do with where he wants to play but to me, the only way you should get a ring is if you win a championship. I see a player got one once for retiring early in the season when that team went on to win, and even consider that a bit weak honestly. But giving a ring to your finals opponent seems really down the "everyone gets a trophy" trail.

Solid points and I agree to a certain extent. There's no one who's more against the "everyone gets a trophy" mentality than me.

Imo, more has to be taken into consideration in some cases. I would consider Varejao one of those cases because he spent his whole career with the Cavs trying to help them win a title.

He could have demanded a trade or left as a free agent to go chase a ring with someone else. He never did. He played on some truly awful Cavs teams and still stayed. Then, they trade him halfway through the season in which they finally win one.

To me, that's not "everyone gets a trophy," that's honoring a player who gave you everything he had for 12 years. The fact that he was traded to a team that was good enough to be the Cavs opponent in the finals doesn't really matter because it wasn't his choice to go there.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Solid points and I agree to a certain extent. There's no one who's more against the "everyone gets a trophy" mentality than me.

Imo, more has to be taken into consideration in some cases. I would consider Varejao one of those cases because he spent his whole career with the Cavs trying to help them win a title.

He could have demanded a trade or left as a free agent to go chase a ring with someone else. He never did. He played on some truly awful Cavs teams and still stayed. Then, they trade him halfway through the season in which they finally win one.

To me, that's not "everyone gets a trophy," that's honoring a player who gave you everything he had for 12 years.
The fact that he was traded to a team that was good enough to be the Cavs opponent in the finals doesn't really matter because it wasn't his choice to go there.

He was traded to Portland, bought out, then chose Warriors.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said all along- Andy wouldnt want a ring anyway....it would be so freaking hollow....hes in the locker room after losing game 7---- and then u want the Cavs to get give him a ring?

He doesnst want it- it would be humiliating- and if the Cavs offered it i think it would be insulting......only guy that i can see who would actually take it in the league is Kevin Durant....maybe if the Cavs give Varejao a ring he can just give it to Durant!

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said all along- Andy wouldnt want a ring anyway....it would be so freaking hollow....hes in the locker room after losing game 7---- and then u want the Cavs to get give him a ring?

He doesnst want it- it would be humiliating- and if the Cavs offered it i think it would be insulting......only guy that i can see who would actually take it in the league is Kevin Durant....maybe if the Cavs give Varejao a ring he can just give it to Durant!

give it to durant....

"Only LeBron should be able to handpick his teams"---Guess Who II

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To me, that's not "everyone gets a trophy," that's honoring a player who gave you everything he had for 12 years. The fact that he was traded to a team that was good enough to be the Cavs opponent in the finals doesn't really matter because it wasn't his choice to go there.

I think that's exactly everyone gets a trophy. Sure he put in a lot of time with Lebron and his efforts were never good enough to actually win a championship. Before moving him for Channing Frye who was a major positive impact for Cleveland in the playoffs with his shooting, his impact on the Cavs was an 0-2 regular season record against the Warriors. The only time his team won a championship, he was trying to stop them.

Ilgauskas put in 13 years in Cleveland trying to win one, helping Lebron since his rookie year, and even followed him to Miami and missed out by a year when he was retired (not playing against them).

To me, even if you were on the team all year and didn't make the playoff roster, you shouldn't get a ring. But that's just me. The guys that win championships I think should get championship rings. Not the guys that didn't.

Last edited: