• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No natty for the ACC, Big 12 & SEC

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anyone thinks this will stop Bama from trying to claim it you're nuts.

Also, Emmert is and idiot he just pissed off 3 of the P5s. Final nail in the NCAA coffin is halfway in now.
You're misinterpreting where the university power is. Do you think Alabama is more powerful than, say, Yale in the grander scheme of things? The NCAA exists because rich schools want it to.

The NCAA will always bow before its presidents, who will in turn bow before the research dollars. Football money is king up until you broaden the perspective, and it becomes trivial.

As much as we love football, and as much as we want our university of choice to cater to and recruit for its success, it's a minor thing compared to the power of research and grant money.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're misinterpreting where the university power is. Do you think Alabama is more powerful than, say, Yale in the grander scheme of things? The NCAA exists because rich schools want it to.

The NCAA will always bow before its presidents, who will in turn bow before the research dollars. Football money is king up until you broaden the perspective, and it becomes trivial.

As much as we love football, and as much as we want our university of choice to cater to and recruit for its success, it's a minor thing compared to the power of research and grant money.
If research and grant money is such a war chest, what's going on in the Pac 12? Why is CO taking the revenue it gets from it's media share and giving a majority to the academic side who is also hurting for money?

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The NCAA has nothing to do with research and grant money. Conference cooperatives do and most have set those up but that's besides the point.

A national championship in football has been know to increase applications to that school 16% to 30% in some cases. For example since Saban started his run at Alabama their enrollment has increased by about 10k students and their out of state students have gone from about 20% to 40%. That is why Saban is worth every dime of 9 million. Oh and by the way their academic ranking has improved steadily because they are getting a much larger number of highly sought out students.

So if you don't think this matters to presidents then you are nuts.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh and by the way their academic ranking has improved steadily because they are getting a much larger number of highly sought out students.

Highly sought out students? Alabama? Are they doing SAT numbers equivalent to 4.4 40 times??

tenor.gif

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Highly sought out students? Alabama? Are they doing SAT numbers equivalent to 4.4 40 times??

tenor.gif
No they are giving away scholarships to top students like crazy. Both of my girls were offered full rides, partial board and books. I'm seeing die-hard Auburn people sending their kids to Bama because they just can't pass up the scholarship deals. If a kid is looking at having to take loans to go to Auburn but get a completely free ride at Bama then it becomes a hard choice for some families and I don't blame them for taking the deal.

They are funding this by growing their enrollment and covering the cost through the additional paid tuition. A monkey can still get into Alabama but in their "Academic College" that they have set up for the best students with their own housing they have created a nice little "school within a school". My oldest took the tour and she said maybe a 1/3 were Alabama kids, 1/3 were out of state and the last 1/3 were international students.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NCAA has nothing to do with research and grant money. Conference cooperatives do and most have set those up but that's besides the point.

A national championship in football has been know to increase applications to that school 16% to 30% in some cases. For example since Saban started his run at Alabama their enrollment has increased by about 10k students and their out of state students have gone from about 20% to 40%. That is why Saban is worth every dime of 9 million. Oh and by the way their academic ranking has improved steadily because they are getting a much larger number of highly sought out students.

So if you don't think this matters to presidents then you are nuts.

Yeah, a lot of people forget about the effect a good football team has on enrollment.

USC doesn't usually have a problem getting enough applicants as it is. But I remember that during the Pete Carroll era, applications went up significantly.

Pretty sure tuition did too. lol

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the national championship is between the B1G & PAC. Hopefully they don't put an asterisk next to Washington when the Huskies win it this spring.

The Big & Pac aren't participating in the Fall football season, so they won't be participating in the playoffs (if there are any).

Maybe there will be a split champion thing .. one for the ACC, Big 12, and SEC and one for the B1G & PAC.

The NCAA doesn't control the playoffs, but they do sanction the operation of the bowl games. I doubt that there will be a Spring football season, but even if there is, it's hard to get bowl games sanctioned at the last minute.

A championship that history will not care about. Lol. No matter how much anyone wants to claim otherwise

History will care. So will the teams that participate. If the remaining FBS teams are able to pull off this season - which is very questionable - whoever emerges from the playoffs will still be national champions. The schools that choose to sit out will just be SOL.

The NCAA does not control the FBS model, other than setting the beginning dates for fall practice & the season, setting eligibility requirements, coaching staff sizes, and sanctioning the bowl games. The actual decisions on whether or not to play is left with the individual schools & conferences.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alabama's student body is now 65% out of state. Yup, you heard right. They are recruiting like you can't believe and it's working. My kids went to one of the top high schools in NC, and we've had about 6 kids per year go to Bama, all getting a ton of merit based money. My oldest son got into UGA and UNC, and decided to go to Bama. We are paying less for him to go OOS to Bama than if he went in state to UNC. He got a very sweet scholarship that UGA couldn't touch.

My son lives with 10 guys, none from Alabama. They are from LA, Chicago, 3 from St. Louis, Virginia, Georgia, NC, Florida, and New York. The student body is more like when I went to Vandy ... from all over the country. They recruit like hell, nationwide and their student body is getting better and better. Our tour was fantastic, and they roll out the red carpet for smart OOS kids. No one compared to the marketing and sales job they did. They are building like crazy, so their facilities are top notch from dorms to classrooms to labs.

My son wanted (1) large state school in the south, (2) great greek system, (3) great college sports, especially football. He is very smart and motivated, pre-med, so the academic side was going to be taken care of by him and he has. Bama is all 3 of those and more. This from a Vanderbilt and UGA Law grad, I couldn't believe it at first. But, the more we get to meet people there - Dean of Students, Dean of the Honors College, etc. - the more impressed we were. And they have followed up with him and us.

I just noticed that someone posted similar to this above, an Auburn fan. Trust me, Bama ain't the Bama of old.

Growing brain drain: University of Alabama's gain in drawing Illinois students is a loss for Illinois

UA an 'extreme case' of recruiting out-of-state: Study