• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No More Complaining About Resources Used on the O-line

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Broyles in 2012 and of course Ebron last year. Didnt trade up but still invested high picks on skill position infatuation.
But we were talking about trading up for them, not just drafting skill players in general.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notice how you point out facts to TP and he doesn't respond. So much fun shutting him up. :)

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why in god's green earth would I waste my time breaking down other GMs? If that is something you'd like to see, you go right ahead and look it up.

I only care about the guy making the decisions for the Lions. I'm pretty confident Detroit is the only team with 2 complete draft classes in past 5 years without a single pick on the team.

Why don't you get a breakdown of all 32 teams draft picks over the last 5 years and see if I'm right?:suds:

I really dont care who is still on the team from those drafts? Why is it so important? If they still have a good team, I could care less about those other guys. Every team is different and to expect the Lions to be just like everyone else is crazy.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will make this even more interesting by attempting to be positive. We needed a huge upgrade at LG, we got it.

We needed a legit threat at RB, we got it. To the best of my knowledge he currently has zero fumbles in the NFL.

One of our starting safeties wants a new deal and isn't going to get it so good chance this will be his last season in Detroit. While the kid we took in the 3rd lists as a CB I think he is going to end up as a S. He will probably be a four group special teamer while learning and hopefully be the starter in 2016.

Wright will be part of the rotation we use at DT. We rotated last year as well even when we had God on the team.

We filled some HUGE needs. Will they be any good? No idea. Did we get better? Well, we didn't get worse. Are we a playoff team? :noidea: I didn't think we were before the draft and that hasn't changed. Could I be wrong? Yes. Is this franchise a joke? :scratch:

VulturesRule

Nothing To See Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will make this even more interesting by attempting to be positive.
For those of you keeping score at home, this is May 6th, 2015, when a little ray of sunshine peeked through an otherwise cloudy day.

In all seriousness, one draft does not make a GM. This draft did seem to be less stretch, more team building. We'll see if the franchise is going in the right direction when the regular season begins.

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Losing Suh = ten steps backwards
2015 draft = 3 steps forward
TBD in the 2015 season and discussed with individual thoughts and opinions on message boards.

If I had said do I think after the draft (my thoughts and opinion only) we are better now then when we walked off the field in Dallas my answer would have been no.

Land Collins and I'd say we improved more on offense than we declined on defense and therefore have the potential to be a better team.

While he dominated in Dallas and I think they shit the bed, didn't bother to change the sheets and just just kept sleeping in the their shit only to completely shit it again in trying to get a new deal done with Suh I simply can't assign the same level of decline to the defense from just one guy.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But we were talking about trading up for them, not just drafting skill players in general.[/QUOT
Losing Suh = ten steps backwards
2015 draft = 3 steps forward
Gnata is pretty darn good...maybe 1-2 steps back from Suh. The draft and the players we didnt have to cut to sign Suh, 5 steps forward.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will make this even more interesting by attempting to be positive. We needed a huge upgrade at LG, we got it.

We needed a legit threat at RB, we got it. To the best of my knowledge he currently has zero fumbles in the NFL.

One of our starting safeties wants a new deal and isn't going to get it so good chance this will be his last season in Detroit. While the kid we took in the 3rd lists as a CB I think he is going to end up as a S. He will probably be a four group special teamer while learning and hopefully be the starter in 2016.

Wright will be part of the rotation we use at DT. We rotated last year as well even when we had God on the team.

We filled some HUGE needs. Will they be any good? No idea. Did we get better? Well, we didn't get worse. Are we a playoff team? :noidea: I didn't think we were before the draft and that hasn't changed. Could I be wrong? Yes. Is this franchise a joke? :scratch:

Umm....what happened to the Dr? Someone is hacking SportsHoopla accounts now. Lol

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure who or if anybody googles the draft question? When and if it happens, please take a look at the GM of said team. I would like to know if that guy was still employed after that five year span?

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait a minute! I guess I dont get it, buddy. Crucify Mayhew for playing around with skilled head cases, yet advocate for Mr. Gregory and weak ass Davis?
I just want results. Calculated risks are fine, like taking a top-10-talent player late in the second round. Taking a late-second-round talent late in the second-round, not so much. Plus, he doesn't seem to be able to tell which ones will come around and which won't. Titus, ahem.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really dont care who is still on the team from those drafts? Why is it so important? If they still have a good team, I could care less about those other guys. Every team is different and to expect the Lions to be just like everyone else is crazy.

If any franchise wants sustainable success over a long period of time -- it HAS to be done thru the draft. Look at the teams that have been successful and continue to be successful and they all have something in common. They draft extremely well and lock up the players who have helped them become successful.

THAT is why the draft is so important. You can get immediate impact from players relatively cheap or extremely cheap if you considered the going rate on the open market. To give you an example:

Aaron Donald will make 10 million dollars over the next four YEARS. Suh is getting paid on average 19 million PER year.

Which team is getting the better deal? The Rams or the Dolphins?

With the new rookie salary cap that is in place -- it is even more important to draft exceptionally well, as you can get enormous bargains for the production you will receive. That is why I was so mad about last year's 1st round pick. It made no sense to spend such an important pick on a #3 or #4 option, and by the time he may become a #1 or #2 option -- his rookie deal will be done and we will have to pay him as such. Or even worse -- after 4 years of playing 3rd or 4th fiddle to Calvin and Tate -- he decides he want to be a bigger part of the offense and walks.

This year's draft -- Was I thrilled with our #1 pick? Not really, but I LOVED that we drafted a player who fills an immediate need and can step in from day 1 and make the team better. Was I thrilled with our 2nd round pick? Not really, because I thought there were better options available at the position, but I LOVED that it was a player who can step in immediately and make the team better.

Some of you guys seem to think it is something personal with Mayhew and that is why many fans despise him. I don't have any ill will toward Mayhew -- I just don't agree with some of the decisions he has made over the years. That is all it is.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gnata is pretty darn good...maybe 1-2 steps back from Suh. The draft and the players we didnt have to cut to sign Suh, 5 steps forward.

Those thinking the Lions defense is going to take a huge step backwards haven't watched Ngata play, I'm guessing. There is a reason why Rob wouldn't take my wager on who would have the better run defense between the Lions and Dolphins. Ngata will eat the same double teams that Suh did and he is extremely good against the run.

Detroit's regression will be based more on their pass defense and if they can hold coverage a little longer, as Ngata won't pressure the QB as often as Suh. I have faith that Austin will find ways to get pressure on the QB though. Hopefully a healthy Van Noy can start blitzing more this year and get after the QB like he did at BYU or Whitehead, for that matter.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Land Collins and I'd say we improved more on offense than we declined on defense and therefore have the potential to be a better team.

And without Collins? I doubt you have them going 12-4 with him.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

On sportstalk radio the other day -- they were predicting the Lions record for the upcoming season and out of the 4 guys who made their predictions -- the best was 9-7. The others predicted 7-9 (two of them) and the other predicted 6-10.

Personally -- I'm leaning towards the 9-7, but it is tough to figure out right now, as you never know what injuries happen or if a team is down (i.e. GB at the beginning of last year or Carolina in the middle of the year). Too many factors to give a real educated guess right now.

I don't think we will see 12-4 though any time soon.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On sportstalk radio the other day -- they were predicting the Lions record for the upcoming season and out of the 4 guys who made their predictions -- the best was 9-7. The others predicted 7-9 (two of them) and the other predicted 6-10.

Personally -- I'm leaning towards the 9-7, but it is tough to figure out right now, as you never know what injuries happen or if a team is down (i.e. GB at the beginning of last year or Carolina in the middle of the year). Too many factors to give a real educated guess right now.

I don't think we will see 12-4 though any time soon.
I actually think they will be better, to make the playoffs with their line in shambles last year was a miracle. This year that unit will be much improved and deeper in case of injuries. If Waddle can make a healthy comeback from his knee injury(and apparently knee injuries are nothing these days) the line will be pretty good at all 5 spots. I think that will result in more points and longer time of posession which will make our D that much better. You said it yourself Mike D that Gnata was not much of a dropoff from Suh. In regards to the pass rush, our d-ends are ultra talented pass rushers, they will get the pressure. Walker is pretty good at that also.
So what I'm saying is, if the defense is near what they were last year, and our o-line improves ions...then we should be better than last year in theory, correct? I personally think that will happen. If Caldwell is the coach I think and hope he is...we may just become consistent winners around this core of talent.
Thats just my opinion.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If any franchise wants sustainable success over a long period of time -- it HAS to be done thru the draft. Look at the teams that have been successful and continue to be successful and they all have something in common. They draft extremely well and lock up the players who have helped them become successful.

THAT is why the draft is so important. You can get immediate impact from players relatively cheap or extremely cheap if you considered the going rate on the open market. To give you an example:

Aaron Donald will make 10 million dollars over the next four YEARS. Suh is getting paid on average 19 million PER year.

Which team is getting the better deal? The Rams or the Dolphins?

With the new rookie salary cap that is in place -- it is even more important to draft exceptionally well, as you can get enormous bargains for the production you will receive. That is why I was so mad about last year's 1st round pick. It made no sense to spend such an important pick on a #3 or #4 option, and by the time he may become a #1 or #2 option -- his rookie deal will be done and we will have to pay him as such. Or even worse -- after 4 years of playing 3rd or 4th fiddle to Calvin and Tate -- he decides he want to be a bigger part of the offense and walks.

This year's draft -- Was I thrilled with our #1 pick? Not really, but I LOVED that we drafted a player who fills an immediate need and can step in from day 1 and make the team better. Was I thrilled with our 2nd round pick? Not really, because I thought there were better options available at the position, but I LOVED that it was a player who can step in immediately and make the team better.

Some of you guys seem to think it is something personal with Mayhew and that is why many fans despise him. I don't have any ill will toward Mayhew -- I just don't agree with some of the decisions he has made over the years. That is all it is.

I agree with this post.....but it is something personal with a few of you. Fa real!!! lol

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I would not. But I don't think they necessarily have to top their win total to be a better team. It's a much tougher schedule and who knows what it takes to make the playoffs. Carolina was a division winner with a losing record, and they even won a playoff game.

Would they be a better team if they won a playoff game but were 10-6?

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every team walks away from the draft thinking they upgraded and helped their chances at winning. The draft IMO is an equalizer. The Bears draft a big WR, the Packers beef up their secondary. The Lions draft line and RB help, the Vikings beef up their defense.

So as much as we want to say the draft made us better it made 31 other teams better as well. What it comes down to is addressing needs and identifying talent. Something Detroit hasn't been very good at overall but this draft seems slightly different. Good solid players that are smart and have character. Tomilson seems like a guy that better fits the Steelers or Patriots drafting style. Maybe it was a slight reach but I didn't think Zach Martin would be a pro bowler either, so who really knows.