• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No More Complaining About Resources Used on the O-line

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haters in general are always hanging around here, just waiting for something to bitch about... what a shitty way to live your life- so angry about everything that you can't even enjoy something that you're supposed to be a "fan" of.

So glad I'm not wired to bitch and complain about everything like that...

I'm not wired to bitch and complain about everything, either. But the ol' bitchmobile will get revved up real quick when I find myself on a sinking ship.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except Mayhew really wanted the WR from USC, but Philly took him at 20.

No way, that is nonsense. Just a rumor and I seriously doubt it was true. If Mayhews past has shown anything it is that he would have traded up for him if he really wanted him.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we wouldn't be arguing about any of this had the skill picks actually had ... skill. It's the fact that the trench picks have been productive and the skill picks bust-o-rama that irk me. Maybe dude needs to learn what he's good at and stick to it. Take Randy Gregory instead of Abdullah and Carl Davis instead of Carter and I turn my draft D into an A-. though maybe the reason they didn't is that they can grade linemen and neither was worh the pick.

Wait a minute! I guess I dont get it, buddy. Crucify Mayhew for playing around with skilled head cases, yet advocate for Mr. Gregory and weak ass Davis?

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haters in general are always hanging around here, just waiting for something to bitch about... what a shitty way to live your life- so angry about everything that you can't even enjoy something that you're supposed to be a "fan" of.

So glad I'm not wired to bitch and complain about everything like that...

Just to me and me only. I can see you trying to put to rest the " shiny toy" theory as complaining about what some see happening here and believe.

Party why I tried to ask about Mayhew evolving. He did many things myself and others wanted. So I figured I couldn't bitch as much. Just wanted to know how others felt.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait a minute! I guess I dont get it, buddy. Crucify Mayhew for playing around with skilled head cases, yet advocate for Mr. Gregory and weak ass Davis?

I brought this up elsewhere. I bitched and moaned about the injury risk and head cases. So now when he picks high character and healthy kids... Was I really able to complain again? IMO the answer was no. Give it time LS1, I will find something adventually. Surely Stafford will be involved

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would he do that? Looking at the whole picture doesn't make Mayhew look nearly as bad as simply isolating the things he's done wrong...

What am I isolating? Did I leave skill position players he has drafted off the list? I'm pretty sure I listed them all?

Aren't you the guy who made the statement how he really is a trenches guy and not a shiny toy guy for the offense? How does that comment go you love to use about letting facts get in the way? :dhd:

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trustme,

Can you give us a rundown of a couple other breakdowns of skilled players that other GMs have taken over the same time period? Just curious if Mayhew is the only one that does this. (Puts phone back in pocket and walks off)...

Why in god's green earth would I waste my time breaking down other GMs? If that is something you'd like to see, you go right ahead and look it up.

I only care about the guy making the decisions for the Lions. I'm pretty confident Detroit is the only team with 2 complete draft classes in past 5 years without a single pick on the team.

Why don't you get a breakdown of all 32 teams draft picks over the last 5 years and see if I'm right?:suds:

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's 5 linemen to 3 toys.

Since the NFL is routinely called a "what have you done for me lately?" league, what has Mayhew done for the Lions lately? He's loaded up on linemen and avoided the skill positions early in the draft. You Mayhew Haters have a ton of skill in skewing the numbers and spinning things so that they appear to support your argument(s), so I'm sure you'll do the same here. However, the proof is in the pudding on this one- over the last 4 years the trenches have taken priority over offensive skill positions. And yet many of you are ignoring these selections and Mayhew's apparent shift in philosophy, and just blindly sticking to your tired, outdated rhetoric...

Are you seriously this blinded in your faith with this team? He TRIED to find a #2 WR in the draft. He tried multiple times and failed. So he signed Golden Tate to a 5 year 25 million dollar contract. He tried multiple times to find a RB in the draft, trading up twice (once in the 1st, once in the 2nd) and failed. So he signed Reggie Bush, who is now gone, so it is back to drafting a RB early.

He spent the 20th overall pick on Pettigrew. He caught a lot of passes, but was nothing more than a safety valve. Instead of letting him walk and getting a complete TE in the draft. We sign him to a 3 year 12 million dollar deal to be a blocking TE and then spend the 10th overall pick on a TE to run vertical routes, while having an UDFA be the red zone target.

Mayhew's 'philosophy' hasn't changed -- instead of the draft, he just uses FA to fix the issues with the skill position players. If he had hit on any of the WR or RB picks -- we wouldn't have signed Tate or signed Bush and that money could have been used to upgrade elsewhere.

It is like you turn a blind eye to what the teams does and just make comments without thinking it through.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because if you did that, maybe in some twisted way we could feel good about the lump that is ours.

Lionstop can feel free to do that. I'll pass. I don't care about other GM's enough to waste my time looking up something like that.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Carter this year actually
When he said "trading up for risky skill position guys" I assumed he was talking about Best and LeShoure, not so much a DB from Stanford...

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't communist Russia......Tell Putin I aint going anywhere......Just going to dig my trench deeper and bitch louder. hahaha.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the concept that Mayhew has drafted lineman more often than he is given credit for but it's a double edged knife. Those offensive lineman did not get a RB over 4 yards a carry last year and Stafford sacked the highest amount of his career. And defensively you have Ziggy and and and?

I don't really care about when a guy is drafted if he is successful and the team builds around him....like Levy a 3rd round LB that Mayhew deserves credit for. But to say look at all the high round lineman is disappointing because what has it gotten the Lions.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the last time he did that was 2011...
Broyles in 2012 and of course Ebron last year. Didnt trade up but still invested high picks on skill position infatuation.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems that it's been a common refrain around here for people to complain about Mayhew not using enough resources and/or not investing heavily enough in the o-line.

Call it Preaching or Bitching on this end for sounding like a broken record with battles are won or lost in the trenches. But when there's the weakest link like Jeff Backus while they keep signing him to a contract extension instead of upgrading then Mayhew is open for ridicule.

Well, I think it's safe to put that misconception firmly to rest. 4 of our 5 projected starters on the o-line have been selected in the 3rd round or higher over the last 4 drafts. Reiff- 1st round 2012, Warford- 3rd round 2013, Swanson- 3rd round 2014, and, now, Tomlinson- 1st round 2015.

I believe my biggest bitch lately has been drafting the handicap as BPA. Most of you call it "taking chances". I call it "excuses to suck" when all draft picks are taking chances, some more so than others. Having a GAPING HOLE at left guard is probably the only reason the O-Line was addressed so high in the draft.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We agree to disagree... The brass gets paid no matter what they do and we have to suffer through all the ineptness year after year after year. For me to tell another Lions fan they haven't earned that right is just wrong. Sure it gets old but so does the kool-aid of doing nothing for the fan base. If the Lions Organization wanted to shut up the naysayers then they should stop shitting and get off the pot.