• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No More Complaining About Resources Used on the O-line

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems that it's been a common refrain around here for people to complain about Mayhew not using enough resources and/or not investing heavily enough in the o-line.

Well, I think it's safe to put that misconception firmly to rest. 4 of our 5 projected starters on the o-line have been selected in the 3rd round or higher over the last 4 drafts. Reiff- 1st round 2012, Warford- 3rd round 2013, Swanson- 3rd round 2014, and, now, Tomlinson- 1st round 2015.

While people like to shit on the dude for his supposed love of offensive toys, between using these 4 high picks on the o-line, and 3 first round picks on d-linemen, I think it should be pretty obvious that the trenches are really his bread and butter...

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, that is a flat out lie. (Walks away whistling)...

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except Mayhew really wanted the WR from USC, but Philly took him at 20.

Suh, Fairley, Ansah = Schwartz picks.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, that's a great freakin' comeback!

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While people like to shit on the dude for his supposed love of offensive toys, between using these 4 high picks on the o-line, and 3 first round picks on d-linemen, I think it should be pretty obvious that the trenches are really his bread and butter...

You tell me how many picks this is:
Matthew Stafford
Jahvid Bust
Mikel LeBust
Ameer Abdullah
Titus Young
Ryan Broyles
Derrick Williams
Brandon Pettigrew
Eric Ebron

Between QB, RB, WR and TE -- they don't have 10 spots to fill, like you do on the OL and DL

This doesn't even include -- Handing out big contracts to Nate Burleson, Golden Tate and Reggie Bush

You keep telling yourself his bread and butter is the trenches. If you want to say his success in the draft is in the trenches -- I'd agree with you. His ability to draft skill position players is atrocious. It is why we have to waste cap space fixing his mistakes with FA signings. THANK GOD he seems to be really good at identifying talent that has already played in the NFL.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trustme,

Can you give us a rundown of a couple other breakdowns of skilled players that other GMs have taken over the same time period? Just curious if Mayhew is the only one that does this. (Puts phone back in pocket and walks off)...

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems that it's been a common refrain around here for people to complain about Mayhew not using enough resources and/or not investing heavily enough in the o-line.

Well, I think it's safe to put that misconception firmly to rest. 4 of our 5 projected starters on the o-line have been selected in the 3rd round or higher over the last 4 drafts. Reiff- 1st round 2012, Warford- 3rd round 2013, Swanson- 3rd round 2014, and, now, Tomlinson- 1st round 2015.

Are you trying to make a serious point here?? There are 9 spots along the offensive and defensive lines. Millenhew has drafted 4 players in the first three rounds on offense and 3 players on defense (that includes this years draft) for a total of 7 picks devoted to the trenches.

There are 5 skill set positions (toys) in whatever combination or alignment you put on the field. He has drafted 7 picks to those as well.

There is an 80% increase in the number of spots to fill in the trenches than there are the toys and his drafting is in equal amounts.

I agree, it is time to put the misconception to rest, its pretty clear that the trenches are not his bread and butter. I'm really not sure why you even bothered to put forth the statement when the actual facts themselves (its right there in the numbers) say the exact opposite of the point you are trying to make.

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Must have been typing the same time as Trustme since I posted nearly the exact same thing

Dr.Evil-er,

Can you give us a rundown of a couple other breakdowns of skilled players that other GMs have taken over the same time period? Just curious if Mayhew is the only one that does this. (Puts phone back in pocket and walks off)...

No I can't give you a breakdown of other skill position players drafted by other GM's, but that wasn't really the issue being addressed. It was the statement that there was a misconception that needed to be put to rest that Lord Voldemort's bread and butter is the trenches and not the toys. From the numbers its clear that statement is simply incorrect. Lots more positions to fill in the trenches than the toys but the number of picks are equal.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trustme,

Why would he do that? Looking at the whole picture doesn't make Mayhew look nearly as bad as simply isolating the things he's done wrong...

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would he do that? Looking at the whole picture doesn't make Mayhew look nearly as bad as simply isolating the things he's done wrong...

Where is the relevancy of what other GM's have done? 9 positions vs 5. Equal amount of picks to each does not equal a misconception and provide any proof whatsoever that the trenches are his bread and butter.

I assure you the "shiny new toys" theory will live on and its got the numbers to support the argument, the trenches don't. Sorry.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, in the last 4 years (a.k.a. the time period laid-out in the OP) Mayew has drafted the following in the first 3 rounds:

1 WR- Ryan Broyles, 2nd round 2012
1 TE- Eric Ebron, 1st round 2014
1 RB- Ameer Abdullah, 2nd round 2014
0 QBs

4 OL- Riley Reiff, 1st round 2012/ Larry Warford, 3rd round 2013/ Travis Swanson, 3rd round 2014/ Laken Tomlinson, 1st round 2015

1 DE- Ezekial Ansah, 1st round, 2013

That's 5 linemen to 3 toys.

Since the NFL is routinely called a "what have you done for me lately?" league, what has Mayhew done for the Lions lately? He's loaded up on linemen and avoided the skill positions early in the draft. You Mayhew Haters have a ton of skill in skewing the numbers and spinning things so that they appear to support your argument(s), so I'm sure you'll do the same here. However, the proof is in the pudding on this one- over the last 4 years the trenches have taken priority over offensive skill positions. And yet many of you are ignoring these selections and Mayhew's apparent shift in philosophy, and just blindly sticking to your tired, outdated rhetoric...

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we wouldn't be arguing about any of this had the skill picks actually had ... skill. It's the fact that the trench picks have been productive and the skill picks bust-o-rama that irk me. Maybe dude needs to learn what he's good at and stick to it. Take Randy Gregory instead of Abdullah and Carl Davis instead of Carter and I turn my draft D into an A-. though maybe the reason they didn't is that they can grade linemen and neither was worh the pick.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we wouldn't be arguing about any of this had the skill picks actually had ... skill. It's the fact that the trench picks have been productive and the skill picks bust-o-rama that irk me. Maybe dude needs to learn what he's good at and stick to it. Take Randy Gregory instead of Abdullah and Carl Davis instead of Carter and I turn my draft D into an A-. though maybe the reason they didn't is that they can grade linemen and neither was worh the pick.
Both Gregory and Davis are head-cases, though, and it looks like we're avoiding those after the Titus Young debacle... One thing this year's draft class all has in common is ultra-high character...

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree. No more excuses for Stafford. Until the next one.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carl Davis is a grade A piece of shit. Low charachter guy. No way were they drafting him.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You tell me how many picks this is:
Matthew Stafford
Jahvid Bust
Mikel LeBust
Ameer Abdullah
Titus Young
Ryan Broyles
Derrick Williams
Brandon Pettigrew
Eric Ebron

Between QB, RB, WR and TE -- they don't have 10 spots to fill, like you do on the OL and DL

This doesn't even include -- Handing out big contracts to Nate Burleson, Golden Tate and Reggie Bush

You keep telling yourself his bread and butter is the trenches. If you want to say his success in the draft is in the trenches -- I'd agree with you. His ability to draft skill position players is atrocious. It is why we have to waste cap space fixing his mistakes with FA signings. THANK GOD he seems to be really good at identifying talent that has already played in the NFL.
I agree with Mike D....his bread and butter is trading up for risky skill position guys....had he invested in the trenches we would be much better off.

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You Mayhew Haters have a ton of skill in skewing the numbers and spinning things so that they appear to support your argument(s), so I'm sure you'll do the same here.

:scratch: Seriously? You mean by doing exactly what you just did?

However, the proof is in the pudding on this one- over the last 4 years the trenches have taken priority over offensive skill positions. And yet many of you are ignoring these selections and Mayhew's apparent shift in philosophy, and just blindly sticking to your tired, outdated rhetoric

The proof in that pudding was that the point you originally tried to make was wrong, so you altered it. Why wasn't the first post talking about his "shift in philosophy" over the past four years? That would have been correct and a valid point.

Instead it comes out after being shown that what you had originally said wasn't correct. Honestly bro, the tired outdated rhetoric is being called out by you as mine (or anyone else's) differing views being called tired and outdated rhetoric.

You cant make a statement, have it shown to be wrong, alter your statement, then say those who dared to point out your original error are just the haters spewing their same old rhetoric hatred.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Mike D....his bread and butter is trading up for risky skill position guys....had he invested in the trenches we would be much better off.
I think the last time he did that was 2011...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(thinking.....Stafford haters arrive faster than the damn Bat Mobile)...
Haters in general are always hanging around here, just waiting for something to bitch about... what a shitty way to live your life- so angry about everything that you can't even enjoy something that you're supposed to be a "fan" of.

So glad I'm not wired to bitch and complain about everything like that...