• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No deadline set for Coyotes possible move

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's behind the Athletic paywall (requires a subscription), but this story pulls back the curtain of just how bad things are within the Coyotes organization...

Any ideas on where a possible destination would be? Is Hamilton in the mix?

Any other locations, as I'm sure Atlanta will NOT be getting a 3rd chance at an NHL franchise.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any ideas on where a possible destination would be? Is Hamilton in the mix?

Any other locations, as I'm sure Atlanta will NOT be getting a 3rd chance at an NHL franchise.

Houston has been in the mix for some time now and it would be a great rival for Dallas. The thing is Bettman is very stubborn when it comes to moving teams and as long as their is an owner in Phoenix with deep pockets, the team will likely remain in Arizona.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is everyone so impatient with the Coyotes? Give them a break and some time to grow. Maybe time to build a maglev train from Phoenix to Glendale.

Remember when I made a joke about a job searching site buying into Gila River Arena and the name changing to Gila Monster Arena. There was a lot of tomfoolery that day!

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's behind the Athletic paywall (requires a subscription), but this story pulls back the curtain of just how bad things are within the Coyotes organization...

Care to summarize for those of us who refuse to pay Portzline's salary even indirectly?
Houston has been in the mix for some time now and it would be a great rival for Dallas. The thing is Bettman is very stubborn when it comes to moving teams and as long as their is an owner in Phoenix with deep pockets, the team will likely remain in Arizona.
Gary would 100% rather fold the yotes and soak Houston for an "expansion" fee than move any team.

There is no measurement by which you could proclaim the Coyotes a success.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Care to summarize for those of us who refuse to pay Portzline's salary even indirectly?

It's a long read, but some of the major items include the following:

- Stiffing payments to vendors (as in refusing to pay and then negotiating a lower price)
- Some shady accounting practices (as in the team has lost considerably more money that what has been recorded)
- reports of players not being paid bonuses on time
- toxic work culture for Coyotes employees (multiple employees have reached out to the NHL to document their experiences)
- recent departure of Steve Sullivan will be followed up by his lawyer who will be filing a breach of contract

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One item I missed that I should have included - Bill Armstrong reportedly intimidated Katie Strang about writing this piece.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've personally understood the reluctance of moving the Coyotes linked to the league wanting two expansion fees before allowing somebody to buy the Yotes and move them for a somewhat smaller relo fee while hoping that in the meantime maybe the arena situation would work itself out and they might be successful there.

Also, I may be wrong but it was Fertitta who wanted to bring them to Houston but he's got money problems now and might be selling the Rockets so Houston might not be the option it once was. That said I can't imagine the league wants to move a team to the east after finally balancing out the conferences again.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've personally understood the reluctance of moving the Coyotes linked to the league wanting two expansion fees before allowing somebody to buy the Yotes and move them for a somewhat smaller relo fee while hoping that in the meantime maybe the arena situation would work itself out and they might be successful there.

Also, I may be wrong but it was Fertitta who wanted to bring them to Houston but he's got money problems now and might be selling the Rockets so Houston might not be the option it once was. That said I can't imagine the league wants to move a team to the east after finally balancing out the conferences again.
There's Kansas City that could potentially sustain a team. As well as Milwaukee and Portland OR. I'd wager they'd out-draw the Yotes, at least.

Move the Panthers to Quebec.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
There's Kansas City that could potentially sustain a team. As well as Milwaukee and Portland OR. I'd wager they'd out-draw the Yotes, at least.

Move the Panthers to Quebec.
hey, a little respect.
Panthers are leading the league in attendance this year.

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hey, a little respect.
Panthers are leading the league in attendance this year.

Are the Yotes not leading the league? They let in quite a few fans.

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cities that I'd love too see a team (sometimes again) -

Houston/San Antonio/Austin
Atlanta
Quebec
Indiana
Hamilton/London

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cities that I'd love too see a team (sometimes again) -

Houston/San Antonio/Austin
Atlanta
Quebec
Indiana
Hamilton/London
I am not sure why the NHL would give Atlanta a third shot over some new spots, but then again I am not sure why they gave up on it so fast while continuing to dump money into the Arizona debacle the last time.

If we're going back to places - Quebec, Houston, KC and Hartford would be my first choices.

Reactions: Eco

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure why the NHL would give Atlanta a third shot over some new spots, but then again I am not sure why they gave up on it so fast while continuing to dump money into the Arizona debacle the last time.

If we're going back to places - Quebec, Houston, KC and Hartford would be my first choices.

Yeah, I don't think they will give Atlanta another shot. The only real thing we have going for us is that we have an MLS team that can easily draw 75k so obviously the support for sports is here, and we've grown a lot in both population and infrastructure since the Thrashers left.

I'd certainly be down for Hartford and Quebec. I'm not sure how another team in Texas would fare, as I never really assume that the Stars particularly draw well, but going to Houston or Austin might work if they can connect as well to the people as Nashville does.

If the Yotes are up for relocation, then certainly Florida has to be considered as well, as they don't ever appear to have any fans at their games.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be nice if Vancouver got an NHL team.
giphy.gif

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Houston would suffer the same fate as AZ. They'd probably be stuck way out in the suburbs in one of the most heavily sprawled cities in the country. I just don't see the NHL agreeing to let them relocate into a nearly 20 year old arena (long term at least, a short term thing while a new arena is being built would be fine), assuming even that the Rockets would share. And I doubt the city/county ponies up the big bucks for a 2nd arena in the downtown core.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Houston would suffer the same fate as AZ. They'd probably be stuck way out in the suburbs in one of the most heavily sprawled cities in the country. I just don't see the NHL agreeing to let them relocate into a nearly 20 year old arena (long term at least, a short term thing while a new arena is being built would be fine), assuming even that the Rockets would share. And I doubt the city/county ponies up the big bucks for a 2nd arena in the downtown core.
This kind of fight *almost* killed Columbus' expansion bid. OSU's president got his panties in a twist because he wanted the ability to veto or change games at the Schottenstein Center at his whim. It's an 18,500 seat arena set on OSU Campus about a quarter mile from the 'shoe. Getting in or out is via 2 2 lane roads. Nightmare getting in and out of. And public transport doesn't go there. You have to go to the edge of campus and use campus transport. That was going to be their home.

Basically, he would have made the Jackets re-schedule any game on Saturdays (can't have hockey using valuable tailgating spaces), and he could also punt the Jackets out if he had something else to use the arena for like a flower show or concert. He wouldn't agree to let the Blue Jackets use their practice rink nearby, either. So Nationwide stepped in and paid for the Arena (having recently bought all the land around it) and got exclusive rights to the name for a few years. Now they sold the arena to the city and pay the Jackets for naming rights. It's worked out well because now the Arena District has tons of housing, entertainment and shopping as well as the arena, a AAA ballpark and the Crew stadium next year. And Schottenstein Center is generally empty. NHL ready arena sits dormant more than 250 days a year.

OSU will never agree to let the Jackets use the Shoe for an outdoor game. So much bad blood. At least the guy who ran OSU at the time is gone now. Maybe the new dude is more accepting. I dunno.