• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NLDS prediction thread: too soon?

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it too soon for us to weigh in?

I predict Giants beat the Braves in 4, Phils over Reds in 5.

nateistheshi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'll call Lincecum and Cain winning, but Hudson beating Sanchez, then the Giants close it out in game 4, but I can see a Phils sweep over the Reds brewing

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have the short series, but will not play until Thursday, so we can set up our rotation however we like.

If the rumblings are true, and Boch will not cow-tow the way he is wont to do in the regular season, than I think Zito is the one who misses out in the rotation. But I will believe that only when Bum takes the mound.

I am a little worried about the week layoff before game 1. The Giants were the hottest team in the Majors in September (Phily had the better W-L, but the Giants put up better numbers) and a big rest may hurt that. However, they are only 1-2 in October, so maybe the rest allows them to wash the Padre losses from their minds.

Overall, I think the Giants (on paper) win the series. The pitching difference is just too great between the teams. I do not see the game going 5, but I do not want to jinx it by predicting the sweep, so I will agree that we win in 4.

Cinci has one hell of an offense, but they have no pitching. They should make quick work of the Reds. I see a Phili sweep.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have the short series, but will not play until Thursday, so we can set up our rotation however we like.

If the rumblings are true, and Boch will not cow-tow the way he is wont to do in the regular season, than I think Zito is the one who misses out in the rotation. But I will believe that only when Bum takes the mound.

I am a little worried about the week layoff before game 1. The Giants were the hottest team in the Majors in September (Phily had the better W-L, but the Giants put up better numbers) and a big rest may hurt that. However, they are only 1-2 in October, so maybe the rest allows them to wash the Padre losses from their minds.

Overall, I think the Giants (on paper) win the series. The pitching difference is just too great between the teams. I do not see the game going 5, but I do not want to jinx it by predicting the sweep, so I will agree that we win in 4.

Cinci has one hell of an offense, but they have no pitching. They should make quick work of the Reds. I see a Phili sweep.

I think the rest is exactly what they needed, especially Posey (and Huff).

nateistheshi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think the rest is exactly what they needed, especially Posey (and Huff).

Don't forget Freddy Sanchez and Uribe, we really want them to be well rested so they don't get injured. We could make due without 1 of these guys for a few games if necessary, but not both.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

No way Zito is left out of the rotation. He'll start game 4 in atl. He's 3-0 with a 2.08 ERA at turner field.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Projected Playoff Roster

What I think Bochy et al will come up with:

Starting Pitchers
RH Tim Lincecum
RH Matt Cain
LH Jonathon Sanchez
LH Barry Zito

Relief Pitchers
LH Madison Bumgarner
RH Brian Wilson
RH Sergio Romo
RH Santiago Casilla
LH Jeremy Affeldt
LH Javier Lopez
RH Ramon Ramirez

Position Players
1B Aubrey Huff
2B Freddy Sanchez
SS Juan Uribe
3B Pablo Sandoval
LF Pat Burrell
CF Andres Torress
RF Jose Guillen
C Buster Posey

Utility Players
Mike Fontenot
Edgar Renteria
Eli Whiteside
Cody Ross
Nate Schierholtz

Last Spot : Travis Ishikawa - Aaron Rowand - Eugenio Velez

Last edited by a moderator:

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The last spot is a toss up between Bochy's desire for grittertude, sweet D, and mediocre versatility. Tough to know which way Bochy will go on that one.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last spot is a toss up between Bochy's desire for grittertude, sweet D, and mediocre versatility. Tough to know which way Bochy will go on that one.

I think he has to go Ishikawa for a LH pinch hitter too. Velez can 'hit' lefty but I'm not sure what he does can be called 'hitting'

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How so we forget ..........

Speed consistantly beats good pitching - The Abyss

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think he has to go Ishikawa for a LH pinch hitter too. Velez can 'hit' lefty but I'm not sure what he does can be called 'hitting'

I considered that, but then Bochy might just go with Fontenot and Schierholtz as his pure lefty bats off the bench.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I considered that, but then Bochy might just go with Fontenot and Schierholtz as his pure lefty bats off the bench.

It's a close call, to be sure. But I don't think Rowand is even close to landing a spot.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a hard time seeing Ishi on the roster. Boch NEVER uses him, no matter how successful he is. I suspect he misses out on the post season roster and gets non-tendered in the off season in favor of Pill, Belt or a cheap FA.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did my NLDS prediction thread turn into a roster prediction thread? :)

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants in 5. The Braves don't have the same type of pitching, but some of that may be negated with their experience (i.e. - Hudson and Lowe). Plus, Jurjens sometimes is an ace and sometimes is terrible. Don't underestimate how much those players seem to love Cox though and how motivated they'll be playing.

Go Giants go!

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants in 5. The Braves don't have the same type of pitching, but some of that may be negated with their experience (i.e. - Hudson and Lowe). Plus, Jurjens sometimes is an ace and sometimes is terrible. Don't underestimate how much those players seem to love Cox though and how motivated they'll be playing.

Go Giants go!

They do really love them some Cox!

Sorry I couldn't let that fat pitch go :D

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow what a weekend!

I'm still feeling great (tivo'd the game and rewatched the highlights)

The best thing from winning the west is that they get the first two games at home.

With momentum and energy on the Giants side, I could see this end in 3 games if Timmy can lock down game 1.

I'm a big believer in momentum and if the Giants had to go back to SD or even ATL after that, I would feel different. As it is, I like the Giants in 3.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, to get msg's thread back on track (and add a little to it), here are my predictions:

ALDS:
Rays over Rangers in 4

Yankees over Twins in 4

NLDS:

Phils over Reds in 3

Giants over Braves in 5

nateistheshi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Also, to get msg's thread back on track (and add a little to it), here are my predictions:

ALDS:
Rays over Rangers in 4

Yankees over Twins in 4

NLDS:

Phils over Reds in 3

Giants over Braves in 5

I agree with all of these