• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners - Bucs

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The O-Line being an issue shouldn't surprise anyone they only have two good players with one maybe average in Richburg and two poor in Tomlinson and Person next off-season they need.to improve the guard play.

Richburg was a top 3 center before injuries so hopefully he regains that form. These guys seemed to struggle more against the run yesterday than the pass which is weird because overall the interior lineman have been better run blockers than pass blockers. I hated when Shanahan called those third down run plays up up the middle. The oline is not a power group and they are not going to overpower Suh and the nose tackle

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot about Coleman. I guess if they were going to lose someone, running back was the place they could most afford to lose someone. Yes, Witherspoon stood out yesterday. He looked great. Even when he was beaten it wasn't by much and he played against Mike Evans at times. The flags were ridiculous. Hopefully, it is early season rust.
Garoppolo missed some throws but he also had three touchdown passes called back. At least he didn't look skittish in the pocket like he did last year and he even made a critical 20 yard run for a first down which would have closed the game out which, of course, was called back by a penalty.
They've got to stop the ridiculous penalties and figure out how to stop the run. I don't think they would have looked as pathetic against the run if Alexander had been in there though.

Best stat of the day for me was that they eclipsed last year's total of interceptions in the first game and they not only created turnovers, they scored on turnovers.
I still don't like the fact that they cannot score within the red zone.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richburg was a top 3 center before injuries so hopefully he regains that form. These guys seemed to struggle more against the run yesterday than the pass which is weird because overall the interior lineman have been better run blockers than pass blockers. I hated when Shanahan called those third down run plays up up the middle. The oline is not a power group and they are not going to overpower Suh and the nose tackle
Seems reversed from last year. Yep, the third and short running plays up the gut were shut down every time.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall, good to get a win on the road. Jimmy G is still shaking off the rust. His accuracy was an issue at times. Ended up killing a couple of drives on third down. Hopefully it improves with more playing time. Defense played well in the first half but the run defense was gashed in the 2nd half. Dee Ford was the best pass rusher on the field. Nick Bosa had his moments. Not bad for a first game after missing the entire preseason. Witherspoon looked great yesterday. Moore wasn't bad at safety either. Made some nice plays.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Garoppolo missed some throws but he also had three touchdown passes called back. At least he didn't look skittish in the pocket like he did last year and he even made a critical 20 yard run for a first down which would have closed the game out which, of course, was called back by a penalty.
They've got to stop the ridiculous penalties and figure out how to stop the run. I don't think they would have looked as pathetic against the run if Alexander had been in there though.

Best stat of the day for me was that they eclipsed last year's total of interceptions in the first game and they not only created turnovers, they scored on turnovers.
I still don't like the fact that they cannot score within the red zone.

Yes, and I think there were penalties in the red zone that set them back just like last year. It was good to see that run. He must feel with comfortable with that knee now

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team looks like it can play with just about any team this year if they don't do dumb things. The D Line looks out of sync but they'll get it together if they stay healthy. Alexander will help with the poor linebacking play from the inexperienced guys and Witherspoon and Sherman look solid with good backup in Ward and Verrett. They just gotta stay healthy.

I think they are destined to be weak in the run except maybe in spurts but I think their passing game will be good.

Last edited:

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall, good to get a win on the road. Jimmy G is still shaking off the rust. His accuracy was an issue at times. Ended up killing a couple of drives on third down. Hopefully it improves with more playing time. Defense played well in the first half but the run defense was gashed in the 2nd half. Dee Ford was the best pass rusher on the field. Nick Bosa had his moments. Not bad for a first game after missing the entire preseason. Witherspoon looked great yesterday. Moore wasn't bad at safety either. Made some nice plays.
Wasn't it Moore who made the almost pick on 4th down at the goal line? Man, he would have scored had he hung on to that one. I think Alexander might have scored had he hung on to the pick he dropped in the 1st quarter..

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't it Moore who made the almost pick on 4th down at the goal line? Man, he would have scored had he hung on to that one. I think Alexander might have scored had he hung on to the pick he dropped in the 1st quarter..

Yes, that was Moore. Had he caught that he would have been off to the races with no one in front. He has 4.3 speed too.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, that was Moore. Had he caught that he would have been off to the races with no one in front. He has 4.3 speed too.
I'm hearing that the 49ers' "Wide Nine" defensive front alignment may have contributed to them getting gashed so badly on the run. I wonder if they might re-visit that.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alexander with a complete lack of discipline. Got himself kicked out of the game. Its going to be the same old shit with the 49ers.

That was such a BS call to kick him out of the game. Winston never gave himself up and slide late. I know they want to take helmet to helmet hits out of the game, but don't penalize the defenders like this because the offensive players don't want to protect themselves.

Does anyone know if the Tampa Bay player also got ejected for the helmet to helmet hit he was penalized for? They didn't say he was during the broadcast and all I can find today is that Alexander was ejected. If he wasn't ejected for the same call then what was the difference?

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes before injuries but so far he has been average at best with the 49ers. The other two interior players should be back ups not starters and it will be an issue all year.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hearing that the 49ers' "Wide Nine" defensive front alignment may have contributed to them getting gashed so badly on the run. I wonder if they might re-visit that.

That is what I've been hearing for sometime. Even during the offseason I've read that the wide nine technique is vulnerable to traps and inside runs. Losing Alexander hurt but I imagine part of it also was Tampa making adjustments. Tampa's HC is no dummy when it comes to offense. I doubt they are going to abandon it but might have to make some adjustments.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes before injuries but so far he has been average at best with the 49ers. The other two interior players should be back ups not starters and it will be an issue all year.

With the 49ers he played with a torn quad most of last season. He was below average last season but that would not be unexpected. The pass blocking was okay yesterday which runs counter to these guys who have been better run blockers than pass blockers.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was such a BS call to kick him out of the game. Winston never gave himself up and slide late. I know they want to take helmet to helmet hits out of the game, but don't penalize the defenders like this because the offensive players don't want to protect themselves.

Does anyone know if the Tampa Bay player also got ejected for the helmet to helmet hit he was penalized for? They didn't say he was during the broadcast and all I can find today is that Alexander was ejected. If he wasn't ejected for the same call then what was the difference?
I hear ya on that part but he did lead with the crown of his helmet and make helmet to helmet contact. They all know that that is a no-no.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The difference between both penalties is that one was against a QB, and that's the position the league wants to protect most. Sucks....but that's what it is.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the 49ers he played with a torn quad most of last season. He was below average last season but that would not be unexpected. The pass blocking was okay yesterday which runs counter to these guys who have been better run blockers than pass blockers.

so like I said none of the interior have been very good Richburg played injured so hopefully he can turn things around the other two should be back ups and this will continue to be an issue.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He did not get ejected. As Ricky mentioned, probably because he was the QB. I think he deserved the flag but shouldn't have gotten thrown out.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference between both penalties is that one was against a QB, and that's the position the league wants to protect most. Sucks....but that's what it is.
I think that's it exactly.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching the hit again in slow motion and it's painfully clear Alexander should not have been ejected or flagged. The NFL needs to tweak this rule or start doing a better job of coaching QB's to slide properly.

Winston pump fakes and takes off up field. He clearly sees Alexander loading up to hit him and instead of sliding feet first he lowers his own head and takes a big stride right into the contact. Instead of continuing through his attempt to run Alexander over Winston immediately falls to his side right before contact. It comes across as if he was sliding, but it's not really a slide as his feet are not out in front but rather to the right side of his body because all he's really doing is falling down before the contact.

How is it ok to penalize the defenders for hitting a QB that's lowering their head for impact while running, and then they just flop over like a European Football player upon contact waiting on that yellow color to come out before miraculously being ok?

Sure Alexander could have not loaded up to lay the smack down on Winston, but at the same time if he doesn't load up to drop him Winston might have followed through with trucking him.

The QB's have to protect themselves as a runner and Winston never attempts to do that. If he slides feet first like he's suppose to then their is no helmet to helmet hit on the play. Yet because he doesn't do this the defender gets flagged and ejected. :L