• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nick Foles / Carson Wentz

mannyz

The Real Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Earlier in the year the defense couldn't stop anything. The play calling was terrible. The D has gotten better. Wentz is the future. Trading him would be a huge mistake. We do have him under control for 2 more years. I say we pay Foles if he wins the SB. Start Wentz next season, see how he does, if he gets hurt again, then we may have a injury prone QB. At that point I would keep Foles and get a kings ransom for Wentz.

Remember, we traded Sonny Jurgensen for Norm Snead. All Sonny ?Jurgensen did was end up in the HoF, Norm Snead was a serviceable at best QB.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I found this an interesting take this morning. I don’t always like Cowherds takes....but they are usually pretty solid. Interesting take on Wentz/Foles.

On highlighting differences between between the two....”when Foles make sure a play you say ‘nice catch’. When Wenrz makes a play you say ‘nice theow’“.

It’s often those different expectations due to different expectations and ceilings.

Don’t get me wrong....I want to say “nice catch” a lot for three more games. But from whatever point this goes the next few weeks the team has to stick with the franchise guy going forward into the future.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sal Pal was on ESPN this morning. He stated that Nick Foles' snap to release is 2.5 seconds. That is right there with Brees and Brady as tops in the league. That's why the pressures and sacks are down since Foles took over. It's much easier for the OL to do its job when the ball isn't sitting in the QB's hands for too long or the QB is moving around behind them. Foles has matured as a QB and figured things out ... he's also developed at reading Defenses and seeing where the ball needs to go.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sal Pal was on ESPN this morning. He stated that Nick Foles' snap to release is 2.5 seconds. That is right there with Brees and Brady as tops in the league. That's why the pressures and sacks are down since Foles took over. It's much easier for the OL to do its job when the ball isn't sitting in the QB's hands for too long or the QB is moving around behind them. Foles has matured as a QB and figured things out ... he's also developed at reading Defenses and seeing where the ball needs to go.

That’s the biggest plus I have seen on Foles.... a lot is made of how the offense is tailored for him. But no matter what tailoring is done it takes two to dance and he absolutely shows the maturity to adjust and make it all work. He is the biggest reason for his confidence.

The long tee hope is that Carson sees this and works to emulate it sooner in his careeer. I think it’s a much better chance to say a guy like Wentz will do that, as opposed to being stubborn and not seeing and learning.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is a good point and the key word here is maturity. One of the issues I have with this argument is that people are expecting Wentz to be Tom Brady like forgetting that he is only in his 3rd season in the NFL. This is Nick Foles 7th in the league. As a QB he is more mature and better at pre snap reads than Wentz is right now.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB's get better with age ... especially pocket passers. It's a cerebral / experience position ... great arm and mobility are certainly a plus if you are gifted with them, but if you can make quick reads with quick throws you can play well into your 30's without the great physical tools. Brees, Brady, P Manning (who may still be playing if not for the neck issues which sapped his arm strength). Hell, look at career journeymen like Ryan Fitzpatrick (age 36) who has never been anything special yet had a really nice run with Tampa this year; if not for the turnovers he may have held on to the job.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Foles has played loose, with confidence and is unafraid to give his receivers "chances". When you give your receivers those chances to make plays, they will play harder for you. He has also been getting the ball out quickly ... this is what Brady has done consistently his entire career. Wentz is our future and he is obviously more talented than Foles, but he needs to take some things from Foles' game and incorporate them into his game ...most notably chipping at the D and not being afraid of the 5 minute drive. Frustrate that pass rush by unloading that ball quickly instead trying to buy time to try and get a bigger play; all those QB sacks and hits will shorten a career quickly. I have no doubt that Wentz will bounce back next year ... kids a gamer and he's no dummy. He'll be fully healthy and will certainly re-evaluate his approach. I'm sure the coaching staff will also tweak the game plans ... maybe we even draft a RB early (we have 3 picks in the first 2 rounds) and focus more on taking some of the pressure off of Wentz.

I agree.. Foles plays more like Brady... he is indeed loose... but I would NOT want to put an entire season on him, because I don't think he can handle the 16 game season this way. And he has proven this in the past. He has lost the starting QB position TWICE. He didn't look great at the start of this past season when he started. He admits, that if he thinks too much, it throws him off. Foles looks at his first read 90% of the time, and if he has to go off of that play, he gets happy feet and his accuracy goes out the window. Foles strength is staying calm, getting rid of the ball fast and using the check down a lot. But he is not afraid to put it in double and triple coverage and let the WR go after it. Not sure that is smart - it just goes his way more than not.

Wentz on the other hand, is more of a comparison to Peyton Manning. He is all about preparation, perfectionism and work ethic. And he has the accuracy and skillset to match.

I think the biggest problem is how they are USED. Foles gets rid of the ball fast, while Wentz holds the ball too long - which plays into the weakness of the OL on this team. But the bigger issue is WHY??? And for me, that falls far more into COACHING than the player. I watched closely this past season, and many of Wentz's SHORTEST ROUTES were over 10 yards, with no checkdown!! They have wentz looking for big plays and making multiple reads. Now I will say that he will pull the trigger on Ertz far more than he will anyone else, and he needs to treat Alshon more like Ertz. I hope he has learned that now. I feel like Alshon is getting frustrated with Wentz and not being used enough. I also agree with PhillyGreen's analysis of the use of the run as well. Wentz, imho, is far more accurate and better than Foles in every way. But it just goes to show, if you don't use someone the right way - it doesn't matter. I hope Doug has learned more this season and will start using Wentz to get the ball out of his hands more. Last year - Wentz RAN more because the coverages were run off - so his running was basically equivalent to the checkdown. Sometimes the checkdown needs to be the first option.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Successful Offenses throw a bunch to their Backs which helps keep the chains moving and also makes Defenses have to keep eyes on that option which may draw coverage away from elsewhere. Brady uses Backs religiously ... as does Brees and Big Ben. Would be nice if we had a good all around Back as well.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that would be a top priority, one would think. Le'veon Bell, or a type like him. I still really like Benny Snell.
Unless trades,, etc., happen, as the picks stand as of now, I'd go with a DT, DE, and a RB with our top 3 picks.