• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nick Foles / Carson Wentz

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something to consider; Pederson seems to game plan and manage the game better with Foles behind center. Hard to deny the results which include a SB win.
Absolutely. And Schwartz on the other side too. The coaches tried to let their talent win all year and have finally started actively coaching here. They're very good when they do that.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
48398459_10205233410030056_120422821326225408_o.jpg

Screamin Eagle

Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
St. Nick rides again. All he does is win.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my opinion all of this falls on the coaching staff. While I am happy about yesterdays win I am not sold on this teams playoff chances. Jared Goff does not play like the second coming of Mark Sanchez we do not win this game.

Nick Foles played well but he also had the benefit of some luck. His biggest plays were ducks but that was not on him. IIRC on his 2 longest completions he took shots and could not finish the throws but having a tall possession receiver like Alshon paid off. Again not on him but a sign of the holes the offensive line has and the amount of pressure any QB on this team will face. Foles also benefited from a game plan that was never put in play for Wentz and for the life of me I will never understand it. We were run first yesterday. That deep pass where both Agholor and Jeffries were both wide open were off of play action passes and the safeties just stood there and let them run by them. We called minimal play action passes yesterday unlike in previous game it seemed like we called play action passes 75% of the time and it was pointed on in the pre-game that no team bit on it. We ran the ball well yesterday and it worked. That is how it is supposed to be.

I think Nick Foles is fools gold to be honest. I believe that Carson Wentz is clearly the better QB. There was a reason the coaching staff panicked and rushed Wentz back this season. He was not even remotely close to being ready and most of us said that.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

This is all on coaching. You watch the playcalling with Wentz and the SHORTEST route is 10 yards. They allowed Foles to get rid of the ball fast, and he stares down "ONE" receiver. Wentz is asked to make longer reads and often going to his 3rd progression. It has infuriated me all season. You saw what DAL was doing to us, just making the checkdown the FIRST READ and grabbing 8 yards easy every time. It was like our coaching staff was completely MIA. I think they are frustrating the hell out of Wentz as well, and it began with the helmet throw. They are not putting him in a position to succeed the way they are Foles. I think that is going to affect the entire team and how they play for Wentz as well.

And WTF took so long to rediscover 2 TE sets????? I mean, it only worked well last year.... and your QB is getting pressured like crazy!

That said... I do think Wentz is relying on Ertz too much, and I have been very frustrated that we have not gotten Jeffrey and Tate more involved. I mean, why did we bring Tate in, if we were not going to give him routes he could do?? Hell, he came in after a bye and even had more time. It was ridiculous. Get that man the ball in space and let him go!!!

I want to see the ball out of Wentz hands faster - especially with the pourous OL we have. He is far too accurate of a passer to not be using this part of his skillset this way.

But you will have idiots that only see the 'win' and see nothing in the difference in the games itself and will do their best to create a QB controversy. I think too much is being made of being rushed back. He had great form, accuracy and power to start the season. WE are just not using the weapons we have, and not getting the ball out fast enough and letting the WR's/TE's and RB's to go after YAC.

Oh, and anyone that doesn't see a "HUGE" difference in the running lanes last night vs every other game we have played should be forced to go root for DAL.

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't have said it better myself.

This is all on coaching. You watch the playcalling with Wentz and the SHORTEST route is 10 yards. They allowed Foles to get rid of the ball fast, and he stares down "ONE" receiver. Wentz is asked to make longer reads and often going to his 3rd progression. It has infuriated me all season. You saw what DAL was doing to us, just making the checkdown the FIRST READ and grabbing 8 yards easy every time. It was like our coaching staff was completely MIA. I think they are frustrating the hell out of Wentz as well, and it began with the helmet throw. They are not putting him in a position to succeed the way they are Foles. I think that is going to affect the entire team and how they play for Wentz as well.

And WTF took so long to rediscover 2 TE sets????? I mean, it only worked well last year.... and your QB is getting pressured like crazy!

That said... I do think Wentz is relying on Ertz too much, and I have been very frustrated that we have not gotten Jeffrey and Tate more involved. I mean, why did we bring Tate in, if we were not going to give him routes he could do?? Hell, he came in after a bye and even had more time. It was ridiculous. Get that man the ball in space and let him go!!!

I want to see the ball out of Wentz hands faster - especially with the pourous OL we have. He is far too accurate of a passer to not be using this part of his skillset this way.

But you will have idiots that only see the 'win' and see nothing in the difference in the games itself and will do their best to create a QB controversy. I think too much is being made of being rushed back. He had great form, accuracy and power to start the season. WE are just not using the weapons we have, and not getting the ball out fast enough and letting the WR's/TE's and RB's to go after YAC.

Oh, and anyone that doesn't see a "HUGE" difference in the running lanes last night vs every other game we have played should be forced to go root for DAL.

Good points Dawkins. But there have been some opportunities for Wentz to take the checkdowns, and he almost never goes to them - he always looking for the big play first. I like that mentality, but it can get you into trouble often. Wentz really needs to go look at some tape this off-season of guys like Brees and Brady, take what the defense gives you.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good points Dawkins. But there have been some opportunities for Wentz to take the checkdowns, and he almost never goes to them - he always looking for the big play first. I like that mentality, but it can get you into trouble often. Wentz really needs to go look at some tape this off-season of guys like Brees and Brady, take what the defense gives you.

nobody works harder or watches more tape than Wentz. ALL the players have talked about how he is the first person in... last person out. They talked about how he got the 5 injured guys together last year and were working rehab together. Peters talked about how it was very motivating, but wentz drove himself so hard, that he would go off on his own and do even more, and seemed to get a little frustrated that others were not working harder. Wentz is very much a perfectionist, and he expects more out of others. So I refuse to believe that watching more tape is the answer.

I also have a hard time blaming injury for any of this stuff this year either. Wentz was throwing with incredible accuracy, and they have proof that he is throwing the ball more accurate and with more power than when he was healthy last year. He practiced his form all off-season to stay in that rhythm, and not lose his muscle memory. Granted, I don't think he ran as much as the previous year, but that is smart given the injury.

I completely agree than we didn't use check downs and shorter patters. However, I have a problem putting that on wentz -- and here is why. Anytime a player is doing something wrong in one game... you blame the player. If it happens in another game... you blame the player again. If it continues into a 3rd game??? You blame the COACH!!! Because the coach should be seeing this issue and correcting it. Honestly, it should happen in the 1st game -- but some players are stubborn. Either way, it goes to the position coach... and then another game later... it goes to the coordinator and head coach. When our CB's were not looking back 2 years ago... I blamed the coaches because "NONE" of them were doing it and it went on all season. Last year, they were all looking back and suddenly we were getting INT's and huge knock downs. And the fire of excitement in that, led to more of them doing it. This year has been a mixed bag. Hell, we had one CB hit in the back of the head in the endzone.

But back to Wentz.... I put the blame on the coaches for calling too many long developing plays, and not doing more designed check downs - ESPECIALLY not using tate in this way (not just a RB). The OL looked so bad, and it took over 10 games to discover 2 TE sets again? WTF???? The OL didn't remember how to double team block until Foles returned?? MY GOD there was nothing but walls to run behind with wentz in there. It was truly day/night difference, and it was not the play of the QB - it was the playcalling.

THe one thing I do blame Wentz for -- is not getting alshon more involved, and trusting him to be as physically attacking to the ball as he does with ertz. Alshon has made a very loud statement and shown what he can do. I hope Wentz has paid attention to that. Because he is 5x the QB that Foles is.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nobody works harder or watches more tape than Wentz. ALL the players have talked about how he is the first person in... last person out. They talked about how he got the 5 injured guys together last year and were working rehab together. Peters talked about how it was very motivating, but wentz drove himself so hard, that he would go off on his own and do even more, and seemed to get a little frustrated that others were not working harder. Wentz is very much a perfectionist, and he expects more out of others. So I refuse to believe that watching more tape is the answer.

I also have a hard time blaming injury for any of this stuff this year either. Wentz was throwing with incredible accuracy, and they have proof that he is throwing the ball more accurate and with more power than when he was healthy last year. He practiced his form all off-season to stay in that rhythm, and not lose his muscle memory. Granted, I don't think he ran as much as the previous year, but that is smart given the injury.

I completely agree than we didn't use check downs and shorter patters. However, I have a problem putting that on wentz -- and here is why. Anytime a player is doing something wrong in one game... you blame the player. If it happens in another game... you blame the player again. If it continues into a 3rd game??? You blame the COACH!!! Because the coach should be seeing this issue and correcting it. Honestly, it should happen in the 1st game -- but some players are stubborn. Either way, it goes to the position coach... and then another game later... it goes to the coordinator and head coach. When our CB's were not looking back 2 years ago... I blamed the coaches because "NONE" of them were doing it and it went on all season. Last year, they were all looking back and suddenly we were getting INT's and huge knock downs. And the fire of excitement in that, led to more of them doing it. This year has been a mixed bag. Hell, we had one CB hit in the back of the head in the endzone.

But back to Wentz.... I put the blame on the coaches for calling too many long developing plays, and not doing more designed check downs - ESPECIALLY not using tate in this way (not just a RB). The OL looked so bad, and it took over 10 games to discover 2 TE sets again? WTF???? The OL didn't remember how to double team block until Foles returned?? MY GOD there was nothing but walls to run behind with wentz in there. It was truly day/night difference, and it was not the play of the QB - it was the playcalling.

THe one thing I do blame Wentz for -- is not getting alshon more involved, and trusting him to be as physically attacking to the ball as he does with ertz. Alshon has made a very loud statement and shown what he can do. I hope Wentz has paid attention to that. Because he is 5x the QB that Foles is.

You bring up some good thought points for me with this post.

First of all....the coaching and play calling was not supportive. There is lessons there I hope they put into play. And also....Groh has to go.

It’s an interesting comment about how hard Wentz works. I love it. I think it pushes the team to work harder. Such leaders help make champions. But such leaders can struggle with team chemistry until they learn to balance it.

Maybe that has a part in explaining how they just seem to play better and harder for Foles (along with coaching changes, etc)

Maybe it’s not about watching more film this offseason, but working on the fine points of leadership. I totally feel Carson has what it takes to make that adjustment.

HuskerNGA

Hoopla Cash
$ 990.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe this has been stated previously as I did not read through some of these lengthy posts lol The rhetoric that the team plays better with Foles under center keeps bringing me back to Pederson's play calling. With Foles in Pederson tries to protect him by running the ball and staying ahead of the sticks and keeping it manageable. Even vs the texans in which we couldn't run worth a flip I think they ran it 25+ times. Its like Pederson thinks Wentz can do anything and calls a different game. Then the rest falls in line. O holds ball longer therefore D plays rested ect.

Northern Eagle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You will get no dispute from me that Wentz is a hard worker with a relentless work ethic... but it's a combination of both. The coaches need to implement some more of the quick stuff into the offense for Wentz to help him out, but Wentz also has to learn to not hold the ball so long and take what the defense gives him. It's been there several times and he doesn't go to it often enough. To me this year was somewhat of a write-off in a way because he has not been 100% healthy all year. I expect to see a much better version of Wentz in 2019 w/ a full year of recovery for his knee and proper rest for the back - I think sometimes people forget he had major reconstructive knee surgery - you don't just bounce back from that like nothing happened.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You will get no dispute from me that Wentz is a hard worker with a relentless work ethic... but it's a combination of both. The coaches need to implement some more of the quick stuff into the offense for Wentz to help him out, but Wentz also has to learn to not hold the ball so long and take what the defense gives him. It's been there several times and he doesn't go to it often enough. To me this year was somewhat of a write-off in a way because he has not been 100% healthy all year. I expect to see a much better version of Wentz in 2019 w/ a full year of recovery for his knee and proper rest for the back - I think sometimes people forget he had major reconstructive knee surgery - you don't just bounce back from that like nothing happened.

Well said. I am absolutely pro Wentz, as the future goes. But I want to make sure to not be too much of a Wentz apologist.

It is a fair point that he was coming back from a lot this year. And he is a young QB. The biggest threat to having such a major injury so early in his career is it can really fuck up that mental development that needs to happen in formidable pro years. I am actually more concerned about that then I am about his physical help.

Point is (and was just discussing this with Eagles fans at work this morning)....there is really no large sample size yet (3 years) to say he is an absolute franchise keeper, or an injury plagued promise that will never happen. The good news is we get rookie control for two more years to work to flesh this out more.

Regardless of what happens yet this year I hope the team and Foles can come to a small extension...two years, maybe with the same mutual option for a third year, and have Nick in the bullpen while this gets felt out.

Combine that with the rest and recovery of this offseason and a more simplified play call approach with Wentz and see what can happen. But have Manny Rivera in the bullpen just in case, if at all possible.

Northern Eagle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well said. I am absolutely pro Wentz, as the future goes. But I want to make sure to not be too much of a Wentz apologist.

It is a fair point that he was coming back from a lot this year. And he is a young QB. The biggest threat to having such a major injury so early in his career is it can really fuck up that mental development that needs to happen in formidable pro years. I am actually more concerned about that then I am about his physical help.

Point is (and was just discussing this with Eagles fans at work this morning)....there is really no large sample size yet (3 years) to say he is an absolute franchise keeper, or an injury plagued promise that will never happen. The good news is we get rookie control for two more years to work to flesh this out more.

Regardless of what happens yet this year I hope the team and Foles can come to a small extension...two years, maybe with the same mutual option for a third year, and have Nick in the bullpen while this gets felt out.

Combine that with the rest and recovery of this offseason and a more simplified play call approach with Wentz and see what can happen. But have Manny Rivera in the bullpen just in case, if at all possible.

I'm in agreement with you that it's more mental than anything else; Wentz is tough like a North Dakota Bison, so the physical issues were never as much a concern as the mental aspect; that is a very tough injury for anyone to overcome, especially a pro athlete that knows he still has a lot to prove to the people in the organization.

Unfortunately I don't see Foles staying here beyond this year; there is going to be a demand for him... I think the Eagles will not tempt fate a second time and look to take the right package should it materialize. It would be great if Foles went to management and said "yeah I don't care about money or opportunity, I just want to stay here whatever happens"; but I don't see it happening.

2019 is a huge year for Wentz; will he be the MVP guy we saw last year, or will he show just enough of that guy who doesn't utilize the entire field like this year and always have the injury stigma attached to him, further creeping doubts into our minds? Can he play a full 16 game schedule and be clutch in the playoffs? Personally I love the guy and I really, really want to see him realize all of that potential in an Eagles uniform for a long time to come...

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in agreement with you that it's more mental than anything else; Wentz is tough like a North Dakota Bison, so the physical issues were never as much a concern as the mental aspect; that is a very tough injury for anyone to overcome, especially a pro athlete that knows he still has a lot to prove to the people in the organization.

Unfortunately I don't see Foles staying here beyond this year; there is going to be a demand for him... I think the Eagles will not tempt fate a second time and look to take the right package should it materialize. It would be great if Foles went to management and said "yeah I don't care about money or opportunity, I just want to stay here whatever happens"; but I don't see it happening.

2019 is a huge year for Wentz; will he be the MVP guy we saw last year, or will he show just enough of that guy who doesn't utilize the entire field like this year and always have the injury stigma attached to him, further creeping doubts into our minds? Can he play a full 16 game schedule and be clutch in the playoffs? Personally I love the guy and I really, really want to see him realize all of that potential in an Eagles uniform for a long time to come...

The fact that there is still a Foles/Wentz debate is baffling to me to be honest. The issue here is not the QB's but the coaching. This season is the tale of 2 QB's running 2 different offenses and the issues the befell Wentz falls on Doug Pederson. Here two things off of the top of my head that are complete head scratchers to me:

1. With Wentz as the QB we ran a lot of play action passes but did not have a commitment to the running game.
2. With Foles as the QB we hardly ever run play action and we are committed to the run.

Then there is the talk about Wentz 5-6 records as if all of the losses were his fault.

1. Titans loss - Wentz leads the team to a field goal with 6 minutes left on the clock to give the Eagles the lead. The defense then gives up a 16 play 75 yard drive that ended with a Titans TD.

2. Panthers loss - Wentz leads the team on a 17 play 94 yard drive TD drive that gives them a 17 point lead with 9 minutes left. The defense then promptly let the Panthers drive 80 yards on 11 plays. After that drive there is 5 minutes left in the game. We get the ball back and Pederson calls 6 straight pass plays. We punt. Then the Panthers go 80 yards on 7 plays for another TD. Next Eagles drive 3 and out 2 pass 1 run.

Here is my biggest complaint for all the Wentz haters. Not including you NE because you are more Pro-Wentz than against. I meant all the haters in general. It is as if they are placing the blame for all the losses on him and refuse to acknowledge the other problems with the team. There are games I felt Wentz should have played better but he played very well for most of the season. In fact I will go on to say he was playing very well.

With that said I feel that if he was given the same offense scheme that Foles had he would have played just as well if not better IMO. Take yesterdays game. Foles did a lot of dinking and dunking taking the checkdown. However, he did also make plays when needed as well. He took what the defense was giving him. However he has not shown me anything during the past run that would lead me to believe he is an upgrade over Wentz. Not even close.

Last edited:

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wentz is the first QB in NFL history to throw for 10,000 yards in his first three seasons with at least 70 touchdowns and fewer than 30 interceptions.

Best young QB ever.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm on the Wentz wagon. It would take at least 2 #1s + 2 #2s to consider moving on from him.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that there is still a Foles/Wentz debate is baffling to me to be honest. The issue here is not the QB's but the coaching. This season is the tale of 2 QB's running 2 different offenses and the issues the befell Wentz falls on Doug Pederson. Here two things off of the top of my head that are complete head scratchers to me:

1. With Wentz as the QB we ran a lot of play action passes but did not have a commitment to the running game.
2. With Foles as the QB we hardly ever run play action and we are committed to the run.

Then there is the talk about Wentz 5-6 records as if all of the losses were his fault.

1. Titans loss - Wentz leads the team to a field goal with 6 minutes left on the clock to give the Eagles the lead. The defense then gives up a 16 play 75 yard drive that ended with a Titans TD.

2. Panthers loss - Wentz leads the team on a 17 play 94 yard drive TD drive that gives them a 17 point lead with 9 minutes left. The defense then promptly let the Panthers drive 80 yards on 11 plays. After that drive there is 5 minutes left in the game. We get the ball back and Pederson calls 6 straight pass plays. We punt. Then the Panthers go 80 yards on 7 plays for another TD. Next Eagles drive 3 and out 2 pass 1 run.

Here is my biggest complaint for all the Wentz haters. Not including you NE because you are more Pro-Wentz than against. I meant all the haters in general. It is as if they are placing the blame for all the losses on him and refuse to acknowledge the other problems with the team. There are games I felt Wentz should have played better but he played very well for most of the season. In fact I will go on to say he was playing very well.

With that said I feel that if he was given the same offense scheme that Foles had he would have played just as well if not better IMO. Take yesterdays game. Foles did a lot of dinking and dunking taking the checkdown. However, he did also make plays when needed as well. He took what the defense was giving him. However he has not shown me anything during the past run that would lead me to believe he is an upgrade over Wentz. Not even close.

Wonderfully said!!

Yes, Wentz had rust this year. Yes, there was mental issues too. The Titans and Panthers losses are perfect points. There was so much else going wrong than just Wentz.

The one thing I would absolutely give Foles at this point over Wentz is a big one. The maturity and the mental game. There is a confidence that Wentz really struggled with.

But there were so many other fluid things that made the transition from Wentz to Foles more different. The Oline and Secondary were struggling hard, but, while we couldn’t see it at the time, they were coming together as units. Enough of that bullshit that they just play harder for Foles.

And that is even before the playcalling changes. Doug says they were making the changes for whoever the QB was going to be. I consider this dubious, sorry. The problem with the playcalling is the coaches fall into the trap that many fans did....they expected miracles from Wentz. No need to work too hard on scheming.....Carson will save the day.

If they commit to supporting Wentz the way they support Foles, combined with less injuries and more solid supporting units of the field then we will be in quite the prime position for years to come!!

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Foles has played loose, with confidence and is unafraid to give his receivers "chances". When you give your receivers those chances to make plays, they will play harder for you. He has also been getting the ball out quickly ... this is what Brady has done consistently his entire career. Wentz is our future and he is obviously more talented than Foles, but he needs to take some things from Foles' game and incorporate them into his game ...most notably chipping at the D and not being afraid of the 5 minute drive. Frustrate that pass rush by unloading that ball quickly instead trying to buy time to try and get a bigger play; all those QB sacks and hits will shorten a career quickly. I have no doubt that Wentz will bounce back next year ... kids a gamer and he's no dummy. He'll be fully healthy and will certainly re-evaluate his approach. I'm sure the coaching staff will also tweak the game plans ... maybe we even draft a RB early (we have 3 picks in the first 2 rounds) and focus more on taking some of the pressure off of Wentz.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Foles has played loose, with confidence and is unafraid to give his receivers "chances". When you give your receivers those chances to make plays, they will play harder for you. He has also been getting the ball out quickly ... this is what Brady has done consistently his entire career. Wentz is our future and he is obviously more talented than Foles, but he needs to take some things from Foles' game and incorporate them into his game ...most notably chipping at the D and not being afraid of the 5 minute drive. Frustrate that pass rush by unloading that ball quickly instead trying to buy time to try and get a bigger play; all those QB sacks and hits will shorten a career quickly. I have no doubt that Wentz will bounce back next year ... kids a gamer and he's no dummy. He'll be fully healthy and will certainly re-evaluate his approach. I'm sure the coaching staff will also tweak the game plans ... maybe we even draft a RB early (we have 3 picks in the first 2 rounds) and focus more on taking some of the pressure off of Wentz.

:agree:

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That’s the big question....will Wentz take lessons from what Foles is doing? I think all we have seen of his character says that yes, he will.

That was another thing I’ve not understood this year. Last season Wentz went down and everyone felt that, while it was hard for him not to be out there, he was taking it in stride and being a great teammate. This season he goes down and it just seems so much of the talk (at least initially) was how this can’t be good. He must feel threatened. What changed since last season?

Last season I remember more than once how we ran long late game drives well with Wentz. I feel the “holding the ball too long” aspect was driven by the lack of mobility (knee brace). Carson made so many “Omg” plays in 2017, extending the play with his elusiveness, making the most Hodini plays. Under the best of circumstances those were going to be hard to replicate. Repair a knee and put a brace on him and it wasn’t going to be that much harder.

Back to point....I don’t see any reason Wentz won’t take the lessons here that Foles is offering up.