• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NHLPA Approves Return-to-Play Format

Mofo

Infamous Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,979.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be the first to say it: it's not a real Stanley Cup win for whoever wins. Every team in the league was at least 11 games short of a full season, including division rivals. Momentum was completely derailed for the teams going strong, and at least one team that was pretty much statistically eliminated gets a playoff berth.

Ofc I'll watch because I've been starved for real sports but this thing seems like a mistake.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be the first to say it: it's not a real Stanley Cup win for whoever wins. Every team in the league was at least 11 games short of a full season, including division rivals. Momentum was completely derailed for the teams going strong, and at least one team that was pretty much statistically eliminated gets a playoff berth.

Ofc I'll watch because I've been starved for real sports but this thing seems like a mistake.
giphy.gif

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DonMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They did the Sabres a favor and let them stay home. I watch most of the games; each of the last two seasons I've gotten the impression while watching games January/later that the players really didn't expect to make the playoffs.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree and disagree. I think its kind of goofy and wish they would focus on next season instead of this.
But the records from the regular season set up the seeds and all the teams are playing by the same tournament rules ~ so whoever wins should not be saddled with any "not real Cup win" talk. I'm sure they will though.

Reactions: gob

Markwassillylaugher

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the Hockey guy just posted a video of mediocure teams that went to the playoffs. it was common in the early NHL to have a losing record and still make the finals. 3 team with losing records actually won the cup.
Plus look at the 2012 Kings. the combined regular season put them at 41-41.
the teams and the league needs tv money to help recoup what has been lost.
next season might be a 16 plus 4 team format.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still hearing it might be 1-2 years before there is a mediocure available.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This all feels like a dry run to see how adding more teams to the playoffs in the future will go.

I still want to know what the league's contingency plan is if there is an outbreak among the players or team staff.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This all feels like a dry run to see how adding more teams to the playoffs in the future will go.

I still want to know what the league's contingency plan is if there is an outbreak among the players or team staff.

It seems clear that there will be no Canadian hub cities as anyone travelling into Canada from the US is subject to a 14 day quarantine. When are the players that are currently in Europe coming back to Canada and the States?!? It looks like the earliest that games could start is July. I wonder how good the ice is going to be.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems clear that there will be no Canadian hub cities as anyone travelling into Canada from the US is subject to a 14 day quarantine. When are the players that are currently in Europe coming back to Canada and the States?!? It looks like the earliest that games could start is July. I wonder how good the ice is going to be.

Johnny has had some good conversations with Rattman

Mofo

Infamous Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,979.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree and disagree. I think its kind of goofy and wish they would focus on next season instead of this.
But the records from the regular season set up the seeds and all the teams are playing by the same tournament rules ~ so whoever wins should not be saddled with any "not real Cup win" talk. I'm sure they will though.
This feels less natural than the 1994-95 season. They’re going to be doing this in August with no real offseason before next season starts up. Injuries are probably going to be a wash with the recovery time dinged-up guys already had versus the near-zero conditioning players have been doing in the last 2+ months. But the playoffs are tiring and prep for next season is so shortened.

This feels just like a cash grab.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This feels less natural than the 1994-95 season. They’re going to be doing this in August with no real offseason before next season starts up. Injuries are probably going to be a wash with the recovery time dinged-up guys already had versus the near-zero conditioning players have been doing in the last 2+ months. But the playoffs are tiring and prep for next season is so shortened.

This feels just like a cash grab.

they are ????

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't it measure more sense if the games were all played outside? Less chance of transmission plus - its outside!

#NHLCovidClassicTournamentSeries?

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't it measure more sense if the games were all played outside? Less chance of transmission plus - its outside!

mediocure post :L

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
given no body heat from 18,000 people, I'd say pretty good.

Yeah, that's true. Also, you can really chill the arena as you don't have to worry about complaints from the paying customers.

/Let's get ice hockey into the Summer Olympics

tsawchuk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How they gonna find good ice outdoors in July?