• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL warns coaches again about behavior toward replacement officials

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN mentioned that Harbaugh's treatment of the officials during the Lions game was unacceptable too.

Looks like we better brace ourselves as fans for a BS 15 yard penalty on Harbs at some point in the game against the Vikings.

Although, if the replacements wouldn't screw up so badly they wouldn't need to issue these types of warnings. I find it hard to believe that Harbaugh's treatment of the replacements is any different than how he treated the regular refs a year ago.

antone112

who gives a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,290.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“everyone has a responsibility to respect the game,”

Except those who are responsible for putting these 3rd rate refs on the field, apparently.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
HORRIBLE decision. He got impatient 'cause it's a 3 possession game.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fat lady's wiping the chicken grease off her mouth, throwing away the rest of her Venti blended frappuccino with extra caramel & whipped cream, headin' to her dressing room & is about to warm up.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Oops! Thanks Bemular.

I'll have to save the fat lady crack for another game. :)

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the thing that bothers me about this is even regular refs get yelled out by coaches when they disagree with calls. Coaches have yelled at refs since the dawn of time. To some extent these replacement refs must be expected to have tough skin.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the thing that bothers me about this is even regular refs get yelled out by coaches when they disagree with calls. Coaches have yelled at refs since the dawn of time. To some extent these replacement refs must be expected to have tough skin.

Yep, exactly. The old refs got tore into a lot worse than the replacements. I think the real issue is that the coaches are ripping the refs a new one after they very clearly screwed up. So it draws more attention to the issue that these refs freakin stink.

If Harbaugh is guilty of being too mean after they picked up the flag for block in the back, find me one coach in the history of the NFL who isn't going to lose his mind at that. Same goes for that ridiculous pass interference in the Lions game.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a fan, I dont have any issue with Harbaugh lighting up the refs, 15 yd penalties be damned. This is completely on Goodell. We are talking about a multi-billion dollar business being stubborn over million dollar problems. Hey Goodell, if you don't want red asses like Harbaugh pointing out the bullshit that is DIVISION III refereeing, then tuck your tail and pay the real fucking refs real fucking money. The fucking SEC wouldn't hire any of these guys yet the NFL is trying to bullshit fans into trying to believe that there is no real difference? Fuck you Goodell, I'm TEAM REF bitch.

Ok, my bad guys, I'm done now.

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The 1% have to stick up for their scabs. Anyone can take your job, boys and girls, in this world of the 99 but for the 1%.

"It's embarrassing that members of the NFL Players Association, who are part of the AFL-CIO, will, once on the field, be under the authority of scabs.

It's also bewildering. Consider the multibillion-dollar entity that is the National Football League. Then consider that NFL referees are 119 part-time employees who make $8,000 a week. As Jeff MacGregorcalculated at espn.com, at a cost of $50 million a year -- less than one percent of total revenue -- NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell could hire 200 full-time officials at $250,000 a year. Conversely, if Goodell gets everything he wants from the referees union and he doesn't have to spend too much in legal fees, it works out to league-wide savings of just $62,000 per team.

Locking them out is like using an Uzi on a field mouse. The question once again is why? Why has NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, taken such a hard line? After a year defined by the tragic suicides of former players suffering from post-concussion syndrome and a looming lawsuit brought by 2000 former players contending that the NFL didn't take their safety seriously, why would they engage in such naked contempt for the well-being of players and the integrity of their game? Simply put, because they can.

The NFL clearly believes with no small amount of justification that they can do this because no one will care. As NFL VP Ray Anderson said, perhaps while twirling his mustache, "You've never paid for an NFL ticket to watch someone officiate a game."

The only way to understand why there is a lockout of NFL Referees is to understand who is doing the locking out. It's not Roger Goodell, who for all the fawning media profiles, is little more than an exceptionally well-paid executive "flak-catcher." It's the people he represents. NFL teams are no longer family businesses and owners are no longer kindly patriarchs. They comprise the right-wing edge of America's super-rich. NFL owners don't travel in the same circles as Mitt Romney. They travel in the circles of those who underwrite Mitt Romney's campaign.

For these twenty-first-century Masters of the Universe, the lockout, once a near-unthinkable labor-management tactic, has become the weapon of choice when dealing with what's left of the trade union movement. Since 2010, the number of lockouts annually in the US has doubled. A lockout gives employers the power to strip workers of their salaries, bring in temporary replacements and then simply wait until the day locked out workers eat through their meager savings and then force them back on the conditions of outlandish demands. It's a management tactic that has hammered thousands of families from middle class security to destitution.

The owners have decided NFL referees need to be locked out because like the scorpion who stings, that's simply what they do. Look at the demands being made of the referees: NFL owners want them to stop being part-time labor and instead work full-time for the league. Sounds great, except they want the refs to eliminate their other sources of income while taking a 16 percent cut in salary. They also want to eliminate their pensions and replace them with 401k plans tied to the stock market. Put simply, the owners line is less pay, less benefits, and if you don't like it we're locking the doors.

"They told us if we didn't take what was on the table, they would cut it more and they have. They have disguised regressive bargaining as trying to improve officiating overall and to give people more time off," said NFL Referee's Association lead negotiator Mike Arnold. "They keep saying in the media that they were willing, able, and ready to negotiate, but they kept telling us they weren't interested in discussing our proposal and if the deal was going to settle it was going to settle on their terms."

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is interesting what peaceful power resides in the working man. But for the fear of losing everything they acquiesce, yet for the courage of acting together they can have all they deserve. The players could end this strike tomorrow.

Karl Marx was correct - True value [and thus true power] is found not in money but rather it is found in man's toil.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Like I've been saying, its the ability to handle pressure and intensity that separates these guys from the refs that worked their way up through the ranks. Lots of people can make calls with enough practice, but very few will develop thick enough skin and enough faith in their ability to withstand a Harbaugh blast after an iffy call. So we get this. Kind of pitiful if you ask me.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN mentioned that Harbaugh's treatment of the officials during the Lions game was unacceptable too.

Looks like we better brace ourselves as fans for a BS 15 yard penalty on Harbs at some point in the game against the Vikings.

Although, if the replacements wouldn't screw up so badly they wouldn't need to issue these types of warnings. I find it hard to believe that Harbaugh's treatment of the replacements is any different than how he treated the regular refs a year ago.

I find the games just as interesting and exciting with the new refs. To me, they are a non-issue. I'm sure they are doing the best they can and are calling things the same way for both teams. If the coaches want to yell at someone, yell at the league itself. They are the cheap bastards who won't pay the cost for the best officials in the world who have the toughest job of an group of officials in any sport.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“everyone has a responsibility to respect the game,”

Except those who are responsible for putting these 3rd rate refs on the field, apparently.

Exactly!

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is interesting what peaceful power resides in the working man. But for the fear of losing everything they acquiesce, yet for the courage of acting together they can have all they deserve. The players could end this strike tomorrow.
Karl Marx was correct - True value [and thus true power] is found not in money but rather it is found in man's toil.

Unfortunately, most of the players have an "I got mine" attitude.

Ol' Karl had a way with words, did he not?