• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL to review Perrish Cox sexual assault case

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Its stuff like this.....how the NFL seems to consider itself above courts. The Cox case was shady, and while I don't know all the particulars I'm surprised he got off. But that said, he was found not guilty and its just so pretentious for the NFL to basically re-try him.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
They're not re-trying him. They're reviewing the case. NFL players agree to a code of conduct. That means a player could do something that is totally legal, but the NFL could still discipline him because it violates the code of conduct.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're not re-trying him. They're reviewing the case. NFL players agree to a code of conduct. That means a player could do something that is totally legal, but the NFL could still discipline him because it violates the code of conduct.

This.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You're acting like they're just checking the file out of curiosity. "reviewing the case" and then offering up their own judgment and punishment amounts to re-trying the case. And they do this to satisfy an often irrational public that often wants serious punishments for players for reasons like jealousy or racism. The NFL regularly steps on the players and hands out over-zealous punishments to help their own image, rather than out of proper fairness or justice.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're acting like they're just checking the file out of curiosity. "reviewing the case" and then offering up their own judgment and punishment amounts to re-trying the case. And they do this to satisfy an often irrational public that often wants serious punishments for players for reasons like jealousy or racism. The NFL regularly steps on the players and hands out over-zealous punishments to help their own image, rather than out of proper fairness or justice.

Wow. Racism? Seriously? Do you honestly believe this?

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its stuff like this.....how the NFL seems to consider itself above courts. The Cox case was shady, and while I don't know all the particulars I'm surprised he got off. But that said, he was found not guilty and its just so pretentious for the NFL to basically re-try him.

Yeah, I really don't know why the players signed away their rights, or why the union agreed to let Goodell re-try people. It seems like there are laws against wrongful termination. Just an observation from how these teachers who get accused of criminal activity with students are put on administrative leave and not fired until the courts find them guilty. Same goes for the policemen who are accused of criminal activity. Seems like they let them hang around until after the trial just so they don't get hit with some civil suit about being fired while the courts find them innocent. With that said, it seems like that sort of law would apply to being suspended after being found innocent in a court of law.

Seems to me that the NFL does this shit backwards. They should put the players on "administrative leave" while they go through the trial and if found innocent reinstate them and if found guilty suspend the players.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Wow. Racism? Seriously? Do you honestly believe this?

This is not even a question. There are lots and lots of Americans who don't enjoy watching young black men with money, acting out. They do enjoy seeing these guys slapped down. This is an integral part of America's fabric, silly to deny it.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
You're acting like they're just checking the file out of curiosity. "reviewing the case" and then offering up their own judgment and punishment amounts to re-trying the case.

No it doesn't. They're not deciding whether or not he's guilty of a crime. They're reviewing the undisputed facts of the caes to see if he violated NFL policy. You're confusing the two concepts.

And they do this to satisfy an often irrational public that often wants serious punishments for players for reasons like jealousy or racism.

Yes, public opinion of players accused of crimes is entirely based on jealousy
and racism. It's not because they think these players are guilty. It's because NFL fans are racist agains white people; that's why they think Ben Roethlisberger is a rapist.

:rolleyes2:

The NFL regularly steps on the players and hands out over-zealous punishments to help their own image, rather than out of proper fairness or justice.

You mean those millionaire players who sign a contract with a code of conduct in it and then break that code of conduct? Or the ones who lie to NFL officials about their behaviour? Those poor millionaires being "stepped on." We should send them sympathy cards with donations in them.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yes, public opinion of players accused of crimes is entirely based on jealousy
and racism.

I like how you add "entirely" in there so you can knock it down.

Zero surprise that you of all people miss this point. You're like the poster child for bitter middle America.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is not even a question. There are lots and lots of Americans who don't enjoy watching young black men with money, acting out. They do enjoy seeing these guys slapped down. This is an integral part of America's fabric, silly to deny it.

Definitely think part of American culture is to enjoy watching people fall from grace... just have to look at the scandal rags in the checkout lane of a grocery store and sit through an episode of TMZ to realize there is a large audience of people who enjoy reading or watching people fail.

I'd also agree some of it is related to race, but I don't think a majority of it is about what you said... where they just want to see young black men go down.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I like how you add "entirely" in there so you can knock it down. Zero surprise that you of all people miss this point. You're like the poster child for bitter middle America.

I like how you added "jealousy" and "racism" for absolutely no reason as well. Nicely done.

And It makes me "bitter" because I don't feel sorry for these childish miscreants? Ok, then colour me bitter. And I have no idea what you mean by "middle America;" not that it matters.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Space, the only thing silly here is you effectively calling nearly an entire nation of people from all cultural descents racists - That is silly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Giantsmojo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think race has anything to do with this case, Goodell did the same for Ben Roethlisberger. Now if Cox' s punishment is worse, then maybe you have an argument about race, until then it's just Goodell doing what he has in the past with players that do stuff to tarnish the NFL's reputation.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I like how you added "jealousy" and "racism" for absolutely no reason as well. Nicely done.

Haha....just to be clear here, I quoted you directly. You paraphrased mine and changed it in a perfect example of the "strawman" tactic. Do you really not get how this works?

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Space, the only thing silly here is you effectively calling nearly an entire nation of people from all cultural descents racists - That is silly.

Again, I wasn't referring to nearly the entire nation, I would say its a smaller but more vocal segment......but there, I didn't make myself clear enough I suppose.

To be clear, there is a significant minority - not a high percentage, but big enough to be noticed - of Americans who hate seeing young, rich black men act who refuse to conform. The idea that racism evaporated once the Civil Rights Act passed is ridiculous and nonsensical - it was just driven underground - both in terms of people not speaking racism publicly, and people rationalizing their racist thoughts and acting like there are logical reasons for their opposition. Most of America has moved on (though even for them, racism and fear of the unknown/different is part of their DNA), but still millions haven't.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
yeah, i'll go with Sick's explanation, its like any company you work for, each has a manual (or company policy) that employees follow. its written and in place when employees join the company.

the company can review your situation against the contents of their manual. a company review isn't repeating a court case.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yeah, but I don't know of companies that say "well the courts said you're not guilty, but we're gonna look at the facts and come to our own conclusion". Higher standards is one thing, this is another level.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah, but I don't know of companies that say "well the courts said you're not guilty, but we're gonna look at the facts and come to our own conclusion". Higher standards is one thing, this is another level.

companies are entitled to review any employee at any time, they'll only review an employees action against whats in their manual. personally, if i was a CEO of a company, i'd double check employees too.

regarding "well the courts said you're not guilty, but we're gonna look at the facts and come to our own conclusion" ; this implies the company will re-try the employee based on court laws? if you look at this way, no wonder you're reacting like you are.

the NFL can only review the case against the NFL player conduct policies. it can conclude the player violated company policies, but they cannot conclude Cox was guilty of court laws.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, I wasn't referring to nearly the entire nation, I would say its a smaller but more vocal segment......but there, I didn't make myself clear enough I suppose.

To be clear, there is a significant minority - not a high percentage, but big enough to be noticed - of Americans who hate seeing young, rich black men act who refuse to conform. The idea that racism evaporated once the Civil Rights Act passed is ridiculous and nonsensical - it was just driven underground - both in terms of people not speaking racism publicly, and people rationalizing their racist thoughts and acting like there are logical reasons for their opposition. Most of America has moved on, but still millions haven't.

I'm pretty certain most American's regardless of race support retribution against those who demonstrate illegal or anti-social behavior regardless of the race of the person who committed the illegal or anti-social act.

To suggest that Goodell would placate to a completely insignificant and very small minority population whose interests are derived from jealously or racial motivations is beyond senseless.