• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL to revamp policy on the cannibus

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is people are stupid. They never have to drink alcohol, smoke a joint, or do whatever behavior they have become addicted to...

except eat, breathe, sleep, and die.

If that works for you - enjoy & more power to you. However - I enjoy being around quite a few people who have those vices since they generally are also not boring like a lot of other folks. Like Shark said - you don't have to like it - different strokes. I would caveat that by saying that people do also need to be responsible - don't drink & drive, show up for work, take care of your family, etc. However - they can still have a good time.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gk... the beauty of it is, we as individuals can make our own choices. Just because some one makes a choice you dont particularly agree with or feel was right doesnt make any one any smarter or dumber than you. It makes them human. YOu dont have to agree with every choice that some one else makes. But provided their choices dont do harm to others, thats their right. And even if some some one drinking or smoking weed has the potential to hurt some one, we dont have the right to take that choice away from every one simply because a few might do harm with that choice.

My point is we as people are dumb because we do things we know are bad for us. Then people look for sympathy and say it's not their fault they are addicted. The only addiction I feel bad for is those addicted to food because you can't live without food.

We do have a right to be pissed when we end up paying for them. Eventually, we will start paying for people going into rehab. We currently pay for people's health issues as a result of their choices.

I'm all for letting people die if they bring it upon themselves and I'm all for letting them suffer the full financial consequences of their decisions but that's not how it works. You know that as well as I do.

I'm all for freedom and the great things it brings but I'm also for letting the perceived negatives take affect as well. If things worked properly, I'm all for allowing people to smoke weed but things don't work properly.

I'm also all for those placed on a pedestal being held to a higher standard. If the owners and the NFL doesn't want them smoking weed, then that is a rule that should be there...the players shouldn't have a say because the NFL is not their brand.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just lower the bar ...great policy.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that works for you - enjoy & more power to you. However - I enjoy being around quite a few people who have those vices since they generally are also not boring like a lot of other folks. Like Shark said - you don't have to like it - different strokes. I would caveat that by saying that people do also need to be responsible - don't drink & drive, show up for work, take care of your family, etc. However - they can still have a good time.

If people are boring or entertaining, it has nothing to do with vices...it has to do with personality.

obibyn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure people can become addicted to weed....just like they can get addicted to Ranch dressing....or sport cars....or sex...

If something is fun and makes you feel good...you generally go back for more.

That said the whole role model bit is ridiculous...Think back to the role models we had as kids...and dont give me the cookie cutter good ones....the ones you actually looked up to...the ball players spittin....the football players like Riggo and drinking beers in sheds during training camp..

Dont judge someone who smokes marijuana in their own privacy (Its not like they do it publicly) when there are legal drugs out there doing more harm than good.

But thats just my opinion.....it's your prerogative....you can do what you wanna do...

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all i know is if you KNOW you cant smoke pot to have a particular job (like i do ) then simply dont do it . if alcohol is the thing that got davis , then he KNEW the consequences so he shouldnt have taken a drink .

as far as legalization of pot the states can decide that . there will be unintended consequences of that

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is proactive move on the part of the NFL. At least two states have legalized its' use as the remaining 48 take a wait and see position on legalization. NFL powers are not stupid, potential legal clashes and a countrywide trend in favor seem to be at the heart of adjustments to NFL policy. I believe that it was Shark who mentioned "coping mechanisms" A very valid point IMO, because we all have them. I'm very surprised that there has not been a legal challenge yet against the current policy.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all i know is if you KNOW you cant smoke pot to have a particular job (like i do ) then simply dont do it . if alcohol is the thing that got davis , then he KNEW the consequences so he shouldnt have taken a drink .

as far as legalization of pot the states can decide that . there will be unintended consequences of that

The NFL mandated against the use of tweed and Davis knew it. Interesting that his use of a legally sanctioned coping mechanism is what got him. Hypocrisy anyone?? BTW: Dad, it is not the use it's getting caught. I'll bet that there are people in your line of work who do exactly what Davis has done, yet remain on the job.

Last edited by a moderator:

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL mandated against the use of tweed and Davis knew it. Interesting that his use of a legally sanctioned coping mechanism is what got him. Hypocrisy anyone?? BTW: Dad, it is not the use it's getting caught. I'll bet that there are people in your line of work who do exactly what Davis has done, yet remain on the job.

not in nukes which is what i do . you are randomly tested and tested often . one mistake and you are done

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are grown men that are "role models" to children because of the profession they have.

These players are well compensated to be "role models" and not smoking pot is a minor sacrifice. I still don't think the NFL should allow it.

They're not role models and have no responsibility to be.

They are entertainers, plain and simple.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not in nukes which is what i do . you are randomly tested and tested often . one mistake and you are done

I would be willing to bet there is at least one person there who likes to drink a little too much. The devil is in the details.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be willing to bet there is at least one person there who likes to drink a little too much. The devil is in the details.

they dont show up to work that is for sure . there is an out for them called the fatigue rule which people can use if they feel tired . i know that sounds crazy however in a nuclear plant one mistake can be costly so no drugs for sure and alcohol you have to have a 5 hour buffer before your last drink .

violate those and you are done pretty much forever but 5 years for certain

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they dont show up to work that is for sure . there is an out for them called the fatigue rule which people can use if they feel tired . i know that sounds crazy however in a nuclear plant one mistake can be costly so no drugs for sure and alcohol you have to have a 5 hour buffer before your last drink .

violate those and you are done pretty much forever but 5 years for certain

Something tells me these guys are not showing up for the game on sunday smelling of weed and doritos man. :)

Im just saying.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is proactive move on the part of the NFL. At least two states have legalized its' use as the remaining 48 take a wait and see position on legalization. NFL powers are not stupid, potential legal clashes and a countrywide trend in favor seem to be at the heart of adjustments to NFL policy. I believe that it was Shark who mentioned "coping mechanisms" A very valid point IMO, because we all have them. I'm very surprised that there has not been a legal challenge yet against the current policy.

Just because an action is legal in public doesn't mean that companies cannot have rules that don't allow it. I'm a pilot...can I start smoking weed?

There would be no legal clash.

Furthermore, weed is not legal in a single state...not one. It's against federal law.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're not role models and have no responsibility to be.

They are entertainers, plain and simple.

They are role models because of the profession they have. It's not a choice...they are role models. They have a job most kids would love to have...that is what makes them role models...and they get paid a ton to simply play a game.

I agree they do not have a responsibility to the fans; however, they do represent their organizations, their employers. This is not a choice. If the employers want a squeaky clean image, then the employee is required to uphold those duties.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are entertainers. Period. That doesn't make them role models.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just because an action is legal in public doesn't mean that companies cannot have rules that don't allow it. I'm a pilot...can I start smoking weed?

There would be no legal clash.

Furthermore, weed is not legal in a single state...not one. It's against federal law.

Weed is LEGAL in two states for recreational use. Now does that mean you as a pilot can toke up 30 minutes before you fly out?? Probably not. But I would hedge a bet that they would use the same rules as they do for drinking and pilots. And before you flip out, I know many pilots do drink. Companies can have rules against the use of a substance. But I also know that most companies dont randomly test employees for drug use either. And in fact, most of the companies I have worked for are only allowed to test if there is cause.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are role models because of the profession they have. It's not a choice...they are role models. They have a job most kids would love to have...that is what makes them role models...and they get paid a ton to simply play a game.

I agree they do not have a responsibility to the fans; however, they do represent their organizations, their employers. This is not a choice. If the employers want a squeaky clean image, then the employee is required to uphold those duties.

When is the last time you have heard of an NFL player getting in trouble for smoking pot unless it was the NFL themselves busting the guy. Its not Like Fred davis was down on 14th street trying to cop a dime bag and got busted for it.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weed is LEGAL in two states for recreational use. Now does that mean you as a pilot can toke up 30 minutes before you fly out?? Probably not. But I would hedge a bet that they would use the same rules as they do for drinking and pilots. And before you flip out, I know many pilots do drink. Companies can have rules against the use of a substance. But I also know that most companies dont randomly test employees for drug use either. And in fact, most of the companies I have worked for are only allowed to test if there is cause.

It is not legal because it's against federal law. State laws cannot trump federal laws.

Most companies do not have multi-billion dollar lawsuits brought against them for injuries.

There are rules for pilots and alcohol. It is 8 or 10 hours...honestly I can't remember which because I don't drink. The problem with weed and testing is the substance remains in the system for up to a month.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Under the constitution the federal government shouldn't have the power to control what goes in people's bodies, so if the Feds and states lock horns in court, the state could very well win.

Until then, it's de facto legal there, as it won't be prosecuted.