• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL should look at this policy

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again - how do you know that? Are you a mind reader? I have not gotten high in a very, very long time. However - some times I get cluster headaches & do various things to relieve them. If someone told me that smoking pot might reduce or make them go away I would seriously consider it & it would be 100% to reduce pain. I never really enjoyed getting high since it made me paranoid.

Never claimed to know that or that I was a mind reader. What I believe is human beings usually have anterior motives.

I don't doubt that you would smoke them to get rid of the head aches. I probably would to if other options didn't work.

Here is the thing. I have a natural distrust of people because people are not trustworthy as a whole. I have spoken with you and you have articulated your point. Trent Williams in an interview trying to explain why he did what he did to get suspended is not believable because he has a history of getting high. This is the first time he mentioned pain.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In terms of illegal drugs & specifically marijuana this is dwarfed by the effects of alcohol, tobacco & poor diet in terms of hospitalization & the effects on the economy & it isn't even close. Except for tobacco the NFL promotes all of these in a major way.

It isn't close because marijuana doesn't have the rate of usage, yet.

There is a stigma with drug use. There is also a well documented affect of usage on children.

Again, trying to compare marijuana to other things that are unhealthy won't help your argument because I know these other things can have a negative effect on health.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amen. The reason I probably feel the way I do is that I have been diagnosed with a debilitating disease that has no cure and will only continue to get worse. However, research shows that pot helps to alleviate some of the significant symptoms of this disease. While I'm not there yet, its a real possibility that in my future I may very well want to try it to see if it will help. Unfortunately, as a resident of Virginia, this state will be the last to legalize weed. We are almost always 20 years behind the rest of the Union when it comes to issues like this. Hell, oral sex is still technically illegal in Virginia. Oh well, once a law breaker, always a law breaker!

First, that sucks and I am sorry.

Second, I have stated before where I believe pot should be available medically.

Third, I don't blame you for wanting to try it.

Fourth...you renegade.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your exact word were that gateway theory was proven crook. No that isn't true just because it hasn't been proven true.

I believe in gateway because it makes sense. You smoke pot and you get high. The body builds a tolerance and you have to smoke more and you may never see the before mentioned high. So you take something stronger. It is a logical progression. I don't believe in gateway because I want to be Dean.

See...I never claimed to be perfect and I do have coping devices. Please don't tell the police about my back yard.

Holy shit.. .you really have never gotten high. I always thought there was a level of bullshit to that. My bad.

Weed is one of the few substances the body never really builds a resistance to. Thrust me, if you smoke enough of it in a short enough period of time... you WILL get high, if thats the desired outcome.

Now if the end result is to get as high as fast as possible, then yes the gateway theory might hold some weight. But even then, the person is not intent on the drug so much as the high, and I have seen what things like Coke, Meth and Heroin do. If you NEED to get that high that fast in order to cope.... weed wasnt the gateway, ones particular fucked up existence was.

If there were any real weight to the theory though, I would think Colorado and Washington state, as well as Washington DC, would be seeing the effects of rampant hard drug use by now. But from most indications, it has had the exact opposite effect. Why risk getting arrested and doing time for coping illegal drugs, when one can legally go down to the local dispensary, and blaze up in the privacy of your own backyard with no more risk than, I hope I dont get randomed at work.. if your job even bothers at this point.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It isn't close because marijuana doesn't have the rate of usage, yet.

There is a stigma with drug use. There is also a well documented affect of usage on children.

Again, trying to compare marijuana to other things that are unhealthy won't help your argument because I know these other things can have a negative effect on health.

IM just going to throw this out there... some of the most screwed up ideals in our world society have been done supposedly in the best interest of the children. Its not the governments place to ensure my kids dont get hooked on crack. Thats my job.

Hinting that legalized recreational weed will lead us down a path of rampant hard drug use is scare tactics plain and simple.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit.. .you really have never gotten high. I always thought there was a level of bullshit to that. My bad.

Weed is one of the few substances the body never really builds a resistance to. Thrust me, if you smoke enough of it in a short enough period of time... you WILL get high, if thats the desired outcome.

Now if the end result is to get as high as fast as possible, then yes the gateway theory might hold some weight. But even then, the person is not intent on the drug so much as the high, and I have seen what things like Coke, Meth and Heroin do. If you NEED to get that high that fast in order to cope.... weed wasnt the gateway, ones particular fucked up existence was.

If there were any real weight to the theory though, I would think Colorado and Washington state, as well as Washington DC, would be seeing the effects of rampant hard drug use by now. But from most indications, it has had the exact opposite effect. Why risk getting arrested and doing time for coping illegal drugs, when one can legally go down to the local dispensary, and blaze up in the privacy of your own backyard with no more risk than, I hope I dont get randomed at work.. if your job even bothers at this point.

Hahaha. No I have never been high nor have I smoked anything, nor have I ever been drunk...unless you count when I was four.

That is the point behind tolerance. When you first start, it won't take much to get the effect. It takes more over time. And you may get high after being a pro but do you ever reach that initial high. That is the idea behind stepping up to harder drugs. Not everybody uses it to cope.

Give it time. Long term effects don't necessarily show up in a couple of years.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IM just going to throw this out there... some of the most screwed up ideals in our world society have been done supposedly in the best interest of the children. Its not the governments place to ensure my kids dont get hooked on crack. Thats my job.

Hinting that legalized recreational weed will lead us down a path of rampant hard drug use is scare tactics plain and simple.

Oh, I agree with paragraph 1.

I am not hinting. I am stating that it can, not necessarily will.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hahaha. No I have never been high nor have I smoked anything, nor have I ever been drunk...unless you count when I was four.

That is the point behind tolerance. When you first start, it won't take much to get the effect. It takes more over time. And you may get high after being a pro but do you ever reach that initial high. That is the idea behind stepping up to harder drugs. Not everybody uses it to cope.

How'd you end up drunk at 4?

Interesting outtake in the 2nd paragraph. I can't say you're wrong.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you are chasing the high, you are already screwed (side note: Replace High for elite QB, and see where it gets you :D ).

Most long term weed smokers never progress beyond smoking weed. Most that do are getting high, not for the high, but they are trying to get away from something. As for long term effects, that could be said for anything right now. I have seen 30 year olds drop dead from heart attack who never smoked,drank or ate red meat. I have seen chain smoking 90 year olds still chasing their 20 something nurse.

And I guess I could see as to where a hang over at the age of four might make one say... never again. Cause I know I will never ever drink Absinthe again for as long as i live. And I was 22 at the time.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How'd you end up drunk at 4?

Interesting outtake in the 2nd paragraph. I can't say you're wrong.

Grandparents were playing cards and I was under the table. I don't imagine it took much to make me drunk sneaking whatever they were drinking...emulating adults. I ended up puking in the back of the Pinto.

And thank you.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well there you go. You have never smoked, drank or taken drugs yet you certainly have access to alcohol and cigarettes & most likely many drugs. You didn't indulge in them due to your upbringing or whatever. It was not because of some random laws. I am also guessing that you saw or heard of athletes & celebrities who indulged yet you didn't copy them - hmmm..

People are going to do whatever they will based on much more than the law. I have lived in a country where alcohol was illegal & I never saw more drunks ever in my life. There were more bars per capita during prohibition than during any other time in our country - they just were not legal.

I respect your values & your stance. However you must realize that this doesn't apply towards everyone. You can state what you like - I really don't see anything wrong with smoking pot as long as we live in a society where drinking and smoking are legal. Now you still need to apply the same laws in regards to driving, working, behaving in public, etc. - just don't have an issue w/ people using the actual drug - even though I don't care for it.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are chasing the high, you are already screwed (side note: Replace High for elite QB, and see where it gets you :D ).

Most long term weed smokers never progress beyond smoking weed. Most that do are getting high, not for the high, but they are trying to get away from something. As for long term effects, that could be said for anything right now. I have seen 30 year olds drop dead from heart attack who never smoked,drank or ate red meat. I have seen chain smoking 90 year olds still chasing their 20 something nurse.

And I guess I could see as to where a hang over at the age of four might make one say... never again. Cause I know I will never ever drink Absinthe again for as long as i live. And I was 22 at the time.

Is that a statistical fact on long term weed smokers not progressing? Or is it an emotional response?

Me too...BTW, I do eat red meat.

Hahaha...I honestly can't say I remember the events of me being four except puking.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I live in the South now & I see the long term effects of poor diet and lack of exercise on an everyday basis. IMO this is much more evident than the effects of any drugs (including alcohol). The health related costs also likely go through the roof. Yet I don't see the govt banning certain food or penalizing anyone because of it. We live in a free society & that also means that gives us the right to screw things up.

I think that a lot of pot heads will likely be healthier later in life then some of these folks I see in scooters heading for the next buffet.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that a statistical fact on long term weed smokers not progressing? Or is it an emotional response?

Me too...BTW, I do eat red meat.

Hahaha...I honestly can't say I remember the events of me being four except puking.

The real ‘gateway drug’ is 100% legal

Interesting read. And also points out a fact that our leaders care not about the drug or its effect, but their ability to control and make money off of it.

I admit my view is slightly skewed by my background. I have known and still know a large number of people who smoke weed, the number of them who progressed to harder drugs is negligible as compared to the number of people who didnt take the gate way approach. And of those I know of that did go onto harder drugs, they had bigger problems driving that move for the most part.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well there you go. You have never smoked, drank or taken drugs yet you certainly have access to alcohol and cigarettes & most likely many drugs. You didn't indulge in them due to your upbringing or whatever. It was not because of some random laws. I am also guessing that you saw or heard of athletes & celebrities who indulged yet you didn't copy them - hmmm..

People are going to do whatever they will based on much more than the law. I have lived in a country where alcohol was illegal & I never saw more drunks ever in my life. There were more bars per capita during prohibition than during any other time in our country - they just were not legal.

I respect your values & your stance. However you must realize that this doesn't apply towards everyone. You can state what you like - I really don't see anything wrong with smoking pot as long as we live in a society where drinking and smoking are legal. Now you still need to apply the same laws in regards to driving, working, behaving in public, etc. - just don't have an issue w/ people using the actual drug - even though I don't care for it.

I have drank. I like the taste of a margarita or an ice cold beer at Twin Peaks. I just limit myself. I can't say I have ever seen an illegal drug. My uncle may have had one when I was younger but I didn't know. I know he rolled it. I dipped in the eighth grade out of peer pressure. I didn't say everybody would copy them. When we were young, did you see kids with chew because they did it in baseball? Baseball banned it and the players went to flower seeds, so did the kids...hmmm. Oh, and talk about bad decisions. Remember the bowl cut that some boy bands had? We followed. Well not me of course, I always had short hair.

Yes. I mentioned prohibition, a failed experiment. The difference is alcohol was legal and many drank. Then it was outlawed. The people rebelled.

And if you listen to exactly what I said, neither do I. I believe it is a personal decision. I believe businesses should set the rules they want to go by. I believe drugs are a hindrance to who you can be. I also believe you should face the consequences of your action, alone.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good conversation gke & I think that this will just be an "Agree to Disagree" topic in the end. I would state that "Times are a Changing" & we are reaching the pt where there are likely more parents who are pro marijuana then against this at this time. Probably less so in the South but even there it is trending in that direction. I think we will see major changes in all of this over the next 5-10 years.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good conversation gke & I think that this will just be an "Agree to Disagree" topic in the end. I would state that "Times are a Changing" & we are reaching the pt where there are likely more parents who are pro marijuana then against this at this time. Probably less so in the South but even there it is trending in that direction. I think we will see major changes in all of this over the next 5-10 years.

I almost 100% agree. I don't think it is more parents but it is close, and you are probably right about the south.

Yeah, I do see weed being legal, perhaps sooner. I also expect to see single payer in the next ten years and it will include rehab. I also expect in the next 100 years we will be having this same discussion over the next drug.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have drank. I like the taste of a margarita or an ice cold beer at Twin Peaks. I just limit myself. I can't say I have ever seen an illegal drug. My uncle may have had one when I was younger but I didn't know. I know he rolled it. I dipped in the eighth grade out of peer pressure. I didn't say everybody would copy them. When we were young, did you see kids with chew because they did it in baseball? Baseball banned it and the players went to flower seeds, so did the kids...hmmm. Oh, and talk about bad decisions. Remember the bowl cut that some boy bands had? We followed. Well not me of course, I always had short hair.

Yes. I mentioned prohibition, a failed experiment. The difference is alcohol was legal and many drank. Then it was outlawed. The people rebelled.

And if you listen to exactly what I said, neither do I. I believe it is a personal decision. I believe businesses should set the rules they want to go by. I believe drugs are a hindrance to who you can be. I also believe you should face the consequences of your action, alone.

Actually weed did not become illegal in the US until the 1930's and even then it wasnt strictly enforced until the 70's. Now we have spent BILLIONS of dollars trying to police it. The say no to drugs boom kicked in around 86 with Nancy Reagan. As we dont really have stats from the 1906 to 1930's period we have no idea what portion of the populace smoked when it was Legal.

And I agree Business should set the rules they want you to go by.. when you are on the clock. What you do in your personal time, as long as it does not harm or hinder operations is and should be on you. The idea that a business has the right to screen your personal behavior on your own time is antiquated at best, draconian at worst. Hell 30 years ago a single mom couldnt get a job because she was a single mom. That enacted laws saying companies can not base familial status as a reason to not hire some one. IM no fan of the single mommy movement, but I always thought that was a load of crap.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also expect in the next 100 years we will be having this same discussion over the next drug.

We wont because the ultimate goal will be for ALL drugs to be controlled, regulated and most importantly taxed. Synthetics are banned in most states right now because they dont have a means of production control they are happy with, and far be it for Phizer to lose out on selling Oxy, when Bubba ray can make a synthetic that gives the same buzz for 1/10th the cost.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although I'm opposed to the smoking of Marijuana, I'm in favor of medicinal marijuana if prescribed by a physician if both parties agree that it may help alleviate pain.