• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Scouting Combine notes

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
This is the website I've found with a lot of the combine results from previous years if you want to compare this year's performances to previous years' performances. I don't know that it's 100% accurate though.

2011 NFL Combine Results | Steelers Depot

(Just change the "2011" in the URL to an older year if you want to go further back).

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just not a fan of Wilson. Not very good arm strength, anything over 15 yards down field I don't like him throwing.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Report -- National Football League to implement second aptitude test at combine - in addition to Wonderlic. How long do you think until the Wonderlic is gone? Or will it be there forever. Will it become more optional like throwing at the combine is?

Not surprising and that report is incomplete in my eyes because it failed to mention that for many years now most teams have their own form of the Wonderlic they give to the guys they meet with. The 49ers were one of the first teams to come up with a written test other than the Wonderlic. Paraag Marathe was one of the creators of the test at the request of Mike Nolan. Just one more thing that got overlooked in the Nolan era. Argh!

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
2013 NFL Combine: What To Learn From Each Drill

The 40 time does have some merit in terms of value for all position. Obviously for the position players, it's a testament to raw speed, something that really is essential to play in the NFL and can not be overlooked. However, for the other positions, you can get more out of watching how these prospects actually run: Is it smooth? Is there wasted motion? Do the prospects times drastically drop off after the 20 yard times? Those are really what to get out of the 40 time.

Boom! I say that every freaking year on here (or when it was ESPN). It drives me crazy when people don't watch HOW players ran at the combine - how it looked. I get very, very angry at people when they join the fray and get all passionate about times when they can't say they didn't see a player run.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely Pozz. I can't wait to watch Tavon Austin run. Incredibly smooth player.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Josh Norris:

Stony Brook RB Miguel Maysonet does not plan on running a 40 at the Combine due to hamstring injury

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not surprising and that report is incomplete in my eyes because it failed to mention that for many years now most teams have their own form of the Wonderlic they give to the guys they meet with. The 49ers were one of the first teams to come up with a written test other than the Wonderlic. Paraag Marathe was one of the creators of the test at the request of Mike Nolan. Just one more thing that got overlooked in the Nolan era. Argh!

Any opinion how that test is compared to either the NFL's version or other teams' versions? I know people have a high impression of Paraag Marathe, but Nolan also has a reputation of valuing things, let's just say differently, than some. Like how one of Nolan's tests, not official obviously, was to see if the player would do what he told them no questions asked.

That was my gripe on Rodgers, if you wanted to be here, check your damn personality at the door and do the damn tests without question. It's no different from filtering your words to the media in an interview, there are certain interests in saying certain things over others. I mean, it's hard for Rodgers to predict that asking questions would jeopardize his chances, but as a rule of thumb, do what you're asked if you want to be chosen. You can't fail if you do that, other than bad performance. After you are picked, you can do what you want if you perform. But this was better for him, he wouldn't have liked Nolan and thus, probably wouldn't have gotten the same out of it as if he respected him fully.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Any opinion how that test is compared to either the NFL's version or other teams' versions? I know people have a high impression of Paraag Marathe, but Nolan also has a reputation of valuing things, let's just say differently, than some. Like how one of Nolan's tests, not official obviously, was to see if the player would do what he told them no questions asked.

That was my gripe on Rodgers, if you wanted to be here, check your damn personality at the door and do the damn tests without question. It's no different from filtering your words to the media in an interview, there are certain interests in saying certain things over others. I mean, it's hard for Rodgers to predict that asking questions would jeopardize his chances, but as a rule of thumb, do what you're asked if you want to be chosen. You can't fail if you do that, other than bad performance. After you are picked, you can do what you want if you perform. But this was better for him, he wouldn't have liked Nolan and thus, probably wouldn't have gotten the same out of it as if he respected him fully.

At the time it was created it was said to combine Wonderlic type questions with a mixture of on-the-field football type of questions and personality characteristic defining type of questions. Not sure how it compares to any other teams specifically. Although I know that many teams are putting more of a focus or emphasis on testing players on-the-field mental capabilities now.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Adam Schefter:

Alabama RB Eddie Lacy will not work out at combine after suffering small tear in some tissue around his hamstring

After injuring his hamstring last week, Alabama RB Eddie Lacy now hopes to perform all drills at Alabama's Pro Day on March 13. No combine.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sorry for the delay in response. Today is my first day back from NBA All-Star Weekend.

...varying degrees when you get a chance to sit down with someone and converse one-on-one with them for a period of time.

That's my issue! I am assuming that you are very knowlegeable on some of the reports out there about Barkley with regard to this character and personality. Sitting down with him you can see he's a great character kid and he comes accross to be the kind of a person you wouldn't mind becoming friends with and having him be around your family. Last year we all were very high on Russel Wilson because of those same traits. Leadership qualities and personality comes a long way in the locker room which is why we all was rooting for Russel Wilson (referring to the Official 2012 NFL Draft Thread when we wished him luck and praised him after being drafted by a division rival)

In my assessment from a distance there is not an aspect about Barkley's make-up and game that screams the word "rare" to me. Would I see something in him on or off the field if I got a chance to be around him? It's possible. That's why I made that qualification.

C'mon Pozz, how can you say that?! He's a three-time team captain and was the first sophomore in USC history to be named team captain. That alone is a "rare" accomplishment in itself. It is well documented that he understands the necessary sacrifices on the field, in the film room and weight room in order to be successful at the most demanding position in professional sports. He is a very polished prospect (I am not sure if you are using that against him because you may believe that he doesn't have a ceiling?) with great game experience and understands how to operate a pro-style offense. When he played Utah and Oregon this year he showed some very good velocity on his passes (he impressed throughout his career in his ability to throw the short and intermediate passes with pretty good velocity). What impressed me the most is he consistently shows a good understanding of game situations (processes information quickly and effectively pre-snap). Post-snap decision-making can improve a bit but that is more of a reason to like him IMO it shows that there's tons of room for improvement in which he will get through NFL coaching. I am not trying to say that he is the best pure passer to come out of the college ranks in years, because I tend to agree with several other posters who have said that he puts too many balls up for grabs (allowing his stud receivers to make plays for him to bail him out). He will be a late bloomer similar to Joe Flacco. It's going to take him a lot of years for people like you to finally give him the respect that he deserves. For many years people only regarded flacco as an average / good QB. Nothing more and nothing less. During that time you and I have said that Flacco was a borderline elite QB and this year there is no debate that he is indeed an "elite" QB in the league. Like I said, it will take Barkley at least 4-5 years, because unlike a true elite QB I think he definitely needs to play behind an elite offensive line unit in the NFL for him to achieve the level of play in which I think he is capable of playing up to (he makes a lot of mental errors under pressure. So he definitely needs an oline). Again, what I do love about him is that he shows ability to see the entire field and consistently can get to second and third progressions. The kid can manipulate coverage with pump fakes and also he is a marksman that anticipate throwing lanes.

Words are thrown around way too easy in today's draft world in my opinion. Heck, in the sports world altogether. Elite, monster, scary, great, polished, raw, rare, all-time and awful are just a few that come to mind.

I agree! "Raw", "Rare", "Beast", "leader of men", are words I choose to use carefully and only when appropriate. I already explained why I used "rare" with Barkley. I have used "Raw" for Ansah, Hunt, Watson, of FSU. I have not used "raw" with anyone else.

I try to be very careful about the type of words I use when describing somebody or something and "rare" is not one that I would use when talking about a particular aspect of Matt Barkley. If you'd like to list some things that are rare about Barkley that puts him in rarified air to you I would be happy to read through it and give you my two cents take.

His leadership qualities I have mentioned above? His uncanny skill to consistently lead receivers to maximize yards after the catch? Also his ability to deliver an accurate ball when feet are not set and off-balance.

Pozz' this particular info below is not my assessment. Since you're a "strickler" about these sort of things:

Possesses a quick over-the-top to ¾ release and flashes ability to change release point if need be. Arm strength is adequate. Does not have prototypical capabilities to drive the ball and stretch the field vertically as a Joe Flacco or Ben Roethlisberger. However, did show ability to make all the necessary NFL type throws including getting good velocity on deep out throws from opposite hash.

Last edited by a moderator:

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What can he do? He doesn't have a strong arm, he was carried by amazing skill players around him, and he still wasn't able to turn that team into anything. He is a worse prospect than Matt Leinart.

4 Possesses a quick over-the-top to ¾ release and flashes ability to change release point if need be. Arm strength is adequate. Does not have prototypical capabilities to drive the ball and stretch the field vertically as a Joe Flacco or Ben Roethlisberger. However, did show ability to make all the necessary NFL type throws including getting good velocity on deep out throws from opposite hash.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Decent list. Could be better.

- Tyler Wilson lower than the #2 QB is a sham
- Stepfan Taylor is the #1 RB. He doesn't have him in his top-5 at all.
- DeAndre Hopkins is the #1 WR right now, IMO, and he also isn't in the top-5.
- I'd switch Eifert with Ertz for the TEs.
- I like the OLs. I'd put Jones over Schwenke, though. Fisher over Joeckel probably too.
- Moore > Werner and it's not close.
- Dion Jordan over Jones and Mingo? Laughable.
- Poyer is the #1 CB, he has him #5.
- Matt Elam is the #1 Safety.

-Wilson is my #4 QB. Lots of things I didn't like when I scouted him.
-Taylor isn't in my top 5 RB's wither.
-Hopkins isn't #1. He is my #4 guy.
-Werner over Moore pretty easily IMO.
-Jordan might be my #1 overall pass rusher. Much more fluid in his movements in space than Jones and Mingo. Also WAY better against the run than Mingo. Mingo only had 4.5 sacks last year on a stacked D.
-I've got Poyer #4. Behind Millner, Banks, Trufant. Might move him ahead of Trufant and possibly Banks before it's over though.
-Elam is behind Vaccaro and Cyprien for sure to me. Even with Swearinger.

Mayock's QB list is almost fine.
- Wilson should be #4 on that list. Real recognizes real. Barkley has talent.
- Joseph Randle not being on that list is also sham. He's a willing blocker, North/south downhill runner with average elusiveness coupled with very good top end speed. I love his size too. His production is there. Taylor definitely needs to be up there IMO and remove Lattimore from that list.
- We all know how I feel about Patterson, so I'm happy with that. Austin should be a little higher though. Hopkins needs to be on that list.
- He and I share the same assessment of Werner.
- Mingo is too low
- Vaccaro is indeed better than Elam and it's not even close. Tubbs, as a Bengals fan would you take a chance on a player like Ray Ray Armstrong?

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Pre-Combine Notes 6.0

Update Feb 18th-

Justin Hunter blowing up training….Werner- not so much…
- Word is Justin Hunter/WR/Tennessee has shown freakish athleticism in combine training and is getting rave reviews. He’s expected to test great this coming Sunday.

- Another pass catcher who’s getting a lot of love is Vance McDonald/TE/Rice. The quarterback’s at the IMG facility in Bradenton, Florida where McDonald is preparing for the combine have spoken highly of his skills.

- Its ironic but everyone we’ve spoken to say Tyler Eifert/TE/Notre Dame has not looked anything special during training. That said most expect Eifert to run in the low 4.6-range at the combine and could break into the upper 4.5’s.

- Eifert’s Notre Dame teammate Manti Te’o is really not expected to test all that well on Monday, which should come as no surprise.

- I’m told Bjoern Werner/DE/Florida State has not looked like a super athlete in training the past few weeks and many are not expecting a great workout at the combine from the Seminoles pass rusher. That does not surprise me. On film Werner does not display great speed in pursuit and is more of a short (10-yard) burst defender. Its part of the reason why I never considered Werner to be 3-4 outside linebacker material.

- Despite the fact DeAndre Hopkins/WR/Clemson has looked terrific catching the ball he’s unlikely to break the 4.5-second barrier on Sunday and won’t be graded as a first round pick.

- I’ve been a bit miffed by the lack of talk surrounding Logan Ryan/CB/Rutgers. He’s been ranked as one of my top cornerbacks all season. I’m told there is concern about his speed and Ryan’s forty time next Tuesday is important. Sources close to the situation tell me Ryan will run in the 4.5-area but will turn in some of the fastest shuttle times of any defensive back. Right now we hear teams grade the Rutgers junior as a 2nd/3rd round pick.

- Blidi Wreh-Wilson/CB/UConn is all over draft boards. Some teams have him ranked as a potential late 1st round choice while others as a mid-3rd round selection.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I hope Singletary gets a chance to interview Manti Te'o

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Singletary gets a chance to interview Manti Te'o

"I won't tolerate people who think it is all about texts, AOL, and Skype, when it's about holding hands and at least making eye contact. And you cannot fall in love with someone who doesn't exist, and when they get sick, don't bother to go see them. No, this is what I believe, I come from the old school, I believe this: I would rather date ten people and waste time, until we've got to date someone else, rather than date a hottie, when I know she doesn't exist. Cannot eat with them. Cannot fuck with them. Cannot prenump with them. Can't do it. I want reasonable players.

When someone's tries to fool you, you gotta hit 'em in the mouf. Three yards and a cloud of dust.

You got to have a quarterback, I mean, real girlfriend."

(I was going to throw in a reference to getting married before sex with even the real ones, but nah. I also could not decide a good substitute for I want winners.)

Yes, I know it was strained, but I applied it from the whole speech:

[YOUTUBE]EB5-yJM3vJc[/YOUTUBE]