• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Scouting Combine notes

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you can do half the things that he is capable of doing, then maybe you should!

You said he's a top-15 pick on INTANGIBLES ALONE. Does that make me a top-15 pick?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
You said he's a top-15 pick on INTANGIBLES ALONE. Does that make me a top-15 pick?

1999: Akili Smith
2000: Curtis Enis
2001: Damoine Lewis
2002: Lito Shappard (d'oh!)
2003: Rex Grossman
2004: Chris Perry
2005: Braylon Edwards
2006: Vince Young
2007: Jammal Lewis
2008: Matty Romo (d'oh)
2009: Percy Harvin (d'oh)
2010: TIMMY!
2011: Cam Newton (yet to be seen)
2012: Michael Brockers (tough year to pick one)

And the 2013 NinerSickness first-round-bust bust pick is:

clyde_carbon! QB, SportsHoopla University.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1999: Akili Smith
2000: Curtis Enis
2001: Damoine Lewis
2002: Lito Shappard (d'oh!)
2003: Rex Grossman
2004: Chris Perry
2005: Braylon Edwards
2006: Vince Young
2007: Jammal Lewis
2008: Matty Romo (d'oh)
2009: Percy Harvin (d'oh)
2010: TIMMY!
2011: Cam Newton (yet to be seen)
2012: Michael Brockers (tough year to pick one)

And the 2013 NinerSickness first-round-bust bust pick is:

clyde_carbon! QB, SportsHoopla University.

Gimme a chance!

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

No! Not necessarily!

But it does make him worthy of a top 15 pick if selected to play in the right system. Similar to Drew Brees, and Russel Wilson those guys were drafted outside of the first round who could have been selected in the first round if a team was smart enough to tailor their offense around their strength. Again, on intangibles alone, he should be a top 15 pick.

Barkley is the kind of guy you want on your team. He’s not going to fail the Wonderlic or exhibit erratic behavior. He can grasp and run an offense like a leader. In fact, he has arguably the best leadership qualities of not just any quarterback entering the 2013 NFL draft, but of any player, period.

Consider that Barkley was recruited by Pete Carroll, played his freshman season in Carroll’s system and then stuck around for a full three years with Lane Kiffin, NCAA sanctions and the general (but temporary) downward spiral of the USC football program. This kid has character and integrity. The kind of guy you want to lead your men and command an NFL huddle.

You've read this a lot and it is fact, Barkley, if he were to be compared to a current NFL QB, is most like Drew Brees. In an offense designed to play to their strengths, both Brees and Barkley shine. They are both adept at reading complex defenses and delivering pinpoint accurate throws in short and middle-distance ranges. USC plays a pro-style offense, so he is well-prepared to make the transition to reading professional level defenses.

Matt Barkley is best at passes 10 yards downfield, behind and between linebackers. He can deliver bullets in traffic in mid-ranges. His exceptional accuracy in these ranges, alongside his ability to anticipate breaks well and hit inside the strike zone, bode well for Barkley’s future NFL success since the ability for a non-mobile QB to succeed depends on his ability to deliver into tighter and tighter windows.

Barkley has a solid confidence that allows him to operate well in the pocket, even when rushed. He knows how to play the defense—acting the decoy for one play while actually delivering another.

You, Sick, Ray,are Pozz are continuing to poke fun at him and overlook his rare qualities. All I can say is that we will see when how it pans out in 11 months. I'm optimistic that he won't land in Arizona because that offense (at least based on what I know about their current head coach) will target a taller QB who's more equipped in throwing the vertical passes (Joe Flacco type arm strength). I can see Jerry Jones taking a gamble and draft him in a heartbeat. Again, we will see...!

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Barkley is best at passes 10 yards downfield, behind and between linebackers. He can deliver bullets in traffic in mid-ranges. His exceptional accuracy in these ranges, alongside his ability to anticipate breaks well and hit inside the strike zone, bode well for Barkley’s future NFL success since the ability for a non-mobile QB to succeed depends on his ability to deliver into tighter and tighter windows.

Barkley has a solid confidence that allows him to operate well in the pocket, even when rushed. He knows how to play the defense—acting the decoy for one play while actually delivering another.

You, Sick, Ray,are Pozz are continuing to poke fun at him and overlook his rare qualities. All I can say is that we will see when how it pans out in 11 months. I'm optimistic that he won't land in Arizona because that offense (at least based on what I know about their current head coach) will target a taller QB who's more equipped in throwing the vertical passes (Joe Flacco type arm strength). I can see Jerry Jones taking a gamble and draft him in a heartbeat. Again, we will see...!

Your two points I bolded don't exactly help to convince me he'll be good.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
No! Not necessarily!

But it does make him worthy of a top 15 pick if selected to play in the right system. Similar to Drew Brees, and Russel Wilson those guys were drafted outside of the first round who could have been selected in the first round if a team was smart enough to tailor their offense around their strength. Again, on intangibles alone, he should be a top 15 pick.

Barkley is the kind of guy you want on your team. He’s not going to fail the Wonderlic or exhibit erratic behavior. He can grasp and run an offense like a leader. In fact, he has arguably the best leadership qualities of not just any quarterback entering the 2013 NFL draft, but of any player, period.

Consider that Barkley was recruited by Pete Carroll, played his freshman season in Carroll’s system and then stuck around for a full three years with Lane Kiffin, NCAA sanctions and the general (but temporary) downward spiral of the USC football program. This kid has character and integrity. The kind of guy you want to lead your men and command an NFL huddle.

You've read this a lot and it is fact, Barkley, if he were to be compared to a current NFL QB, is most like Drew Brees. In an offense designed to play to their strengths, both Brees and Barkley shine. They are both adept at reading complex defenses and delivering pinpoint accurate throws in short and middle-distance ranges. USC plays a pro-style offense, so he is well-prepared to make the transition to reading professional level defenses.

Nope. I don't see anything that rare about him to be quite honest. If I met him and sat down with him for a while then I may think differently because I'm of the belief that's when QBs really start to separate themselves, but obviously I haven't been given that opportunity so I can only go based off of what I see and what others have said who have spent considerable time with him and those who know him.

Also, everything Bingo posted except for the first paragraph was copied and pasted from Bleacher Report. It's no biggie, because as I said, I am sure Bingo echoes those statements, otherwise he wouldn't have posted them or maybe would have clarified where he disagrees. I'm just pointing that out in case this conversation continues.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. I don't see anything that rare about him to be quite honest. If I met him and sat down with him for a while then I may think differently because I'm of the belief that's when QBs really start to separate themselves, but obviously I haven't been given that opportunity so I can only go based off of what I see and what others have said who have spent considerable time with him and those who know him.

Also, everything Bingo posted except for the first paragraph was copied and pasted from Bleacher Report. It's no biggie, because as I said, I am sure Bingo echoes those statements, otherwise he wouldn't have posted them or maybe would have clarified where he disagrees. I'm just pointing that out in case this conversation continues.

There is nothing "rare" about him. He isn't going to be a leader in the NFL. He wasn't a very good leader on USC. He doesn't have a strong arm, he had the best WR tandem in the nation and couldn't get that team to do better. He is a mid round prospect at best.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Seriously? You would need to have to sit down with him to gauge where you assess him? So what have others said about him that has turned you off about his personality/character? Just wondering...

Yes and so what? I'm at a gate waiting for my flight to arrive, using an ipad to write this. That was earlier today when I sent it. So what what difference does it make because I share those same sentiments as Lamare, the writer. Did you want me to put it in MLA format or APA style? Next time I'll do a bibliography for you Pozz. I could barely used this tablet comfortably...

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Seriously? You would need to have to sit down with him to gauge where you assess him? So what have others said about him that has turned you off about his personality/character? Just wondering...

Oops. I don't know what happened in that last post.

I've "assessed" hundreds of players over the many years as you probably know but things can become different to varying degrees when you get a chance to sit down with someone and converse one-on-one with them for a period of time.

In my assessment from a distance there is not an aspect about Barkley's make-up and game that screams the word "rare" to me. Would I see something in him on or off the field if I got a chance to be around him? It's possible. That's why I made that qualification.

Words are thrown around way too easy in today's draft world in my opinion. Heck, in the sports world altogether. Elite, monster, scary, great, polished, raw, rare, all-time and awful are just a few that come to mind.

I try to be very careful about the type of words I use when describing somebody or something and "rare" is not one that I would use when talking about a particular aspect of Matt Barkley. If you'd like to list some things that are rare about Barkley that puts him in rarified air to you I would be happy to read through it and give you my two cents take.

Also, generally speaking, if several others thought there were that many rare qualities about him right now then it's incredibly likely he'd be thought of alot higher than he is being thought of right now. Could some teams start to see a couple/many things as they continue to go through the process? Sure. We'll see. I haven't seen anything myself to this point, though.

Yes and so what? I'm at a gate waiting for my flight to arrive, using an ipad to write this. That was earlier today when I sent it. So what what difference does it make because I share those same sentiments as Lamare, the writer. Did you want me to put it in MLA format or APA style? Next time I'll do a bibliography for you Pozz. I could barely used this tablet comfortably...

That's fine. Just pointing it out as I am a stickler for that kind of thing. I feel it's always necessary to make note of it if you are going to use somebody else's work to show/make your point no matter how much of a pain it is on any kind of format. It's kind of a big deal to me. That's all.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Pre-Combine Notes 5.0

- Another wide out that’s been impressive is Conner Vernon of Duke. He’s shown some of the most consistent hands in training and runs outstanding routes. One other thing to keep an eye out for; I’ve been told though Vernon does not have the breakaway speed, as evidenced by his tape, he runs the fastest ten yard splits of anyone he’s training with (including the aforementioned Allen and Bailey). His problem if from 20-to-40 yards. That being the case, Vernon will get a lot of looks from teams that run the west coast offense based on his ability to get off the line. I’m also told Vernon is a “solid kid” which will further help his cause.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vernon is one of fly favorite WRs in this draft. Very consistent, great hands and routes. Didn't realize he was that quick though.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pre-combine position rankings for 2013 NFL Draft - NFL.com

No Tyler Wilson in his top five.

He might be as big of a fan of Lacy as I am.

I like that he has Terrance Williams high but he doesn't have DeAndre Hopkins in his top five.

Barrett Jones his 3rd center.

I like his guards for now.

Werner above Moore.

Decent list. Could be better.

- Tyler Wilson lower than the #2 QB is a sham
- Stepfan Taylor is the #1 RB. He doesn't have him in his top-5 at all.
- DeAndre Hopkins is the #1 WR right now, IMO, and he also isn't in the top-5.
- I'd switch Eifert with Ertz for the TEs.
- I like the OLs. I'd put Jones over Schwenke, though. Fisher over Joeckel probably too.
- Moore > Werner and it's not close.
- Dion Jordan over Jones and Mingo? Laughable.
- Poyer is the #1 CB, he has him #5.
- Matt Elam is the #1 Safety.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Decent list. Could be better.

- Tyler Wilson lower than the #2 QB is a sham
- Stepfan Taylor is the #1 RB. He doesn't have him in his top-5 at all.
- DeAndre Hopkins is the #1 WR right now, IMO, and he also isn't in the top-5.
- I'd switch Eifert with Ertz for the TEs.
- I like the OLs. I'd put Jones over Schwenke, though. Fisher over Joeckel probably too.
- Moore > Werner and it's not close.
- Dion Jordan over Jones and Mingo? Laughable.
- Poyer is the #1 CB, he has him #5.
- Matt Elam is the #1 Safety.

-Wilson is my #4 QB. Lots of things I didn't like when I scouted him.
-Taylor isn't in my top 5 RB's wither.
-Hopkins isn't #1. He is my #4 guy.
-Werner over Moore pretty easily IMO.
-Jordan might be my #1 overall pass rusher. Much more fluid in his movements in space than Jones and Mingo. Also WAY better against the run than Mingo. Mingo only had 4.5 sacks last year on a stacked D.
-I've got Poyer #4. Behind Millner, Banks, Trufant. Might move him ahead of Trufant and possibly Banks before it's over though.
-Elam is behind Vaccaro and Cyprien for sure to me. Even with Swearinger.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I just realized the combine is this week! :) That didn't seem as long as most years. Probably because 'cause the 49ers were in the SB.

It'll be interesting to see how much hype Margus Hunt gets. Will he be the star of the combine?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-Wilson is my #4 QB. Lots of things I didn't like when I scouted him.
-Taylor isn't in my top 5 RB's wither.
-Hopkins isn't #1. He is my #4 guy.
-Werner over Moore pretty easily IMO.
-Jordan might be my #1 overall pass rusher. Much more fluid in his movements in space than Jones and Mingo. Also WAY better against the run than Mingo. Mingo only had 4.5 sacks last year on a stacked D.
-I've got Poyer #4. Behind Millner, Banks, Trufant. Might move him ahead of Trufant and possibly Banks before it's over though.
-Elam is behind Vaccaro and Cyprien for sure to me. Even with Swearinger.

I don't think we can disagree more.