• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Scouting Combine notes

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm not just looking at his measureables. How 'bout the fact that he only had 778 receiving yards this season with a future NFL QB throwing him the ball?

You conceded that he catches the ball awkwardly, and I was concerned about that too (which is why I was asking someone about that in the college football thread a while back). High 2nd round isn't an insult to a guy when there are a crap load of great WRs in the NFL already.

By the way, we should probably take this kind of stuff to the NFL draft / college football thread if it goes too long so this thread doesn't get too convoluted.

He has the team record or was it SEC record for all purpose yards. If you want to cite #s you need to give the entire explanation.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The kid can burn. In the right offense he could be dangerous, Percy Harvin type.

I don't buy into that opinion. Tavon Austin is a midget. His calling in the league is kick & punt returns.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
He has the team record or was it SEC record for all purpose yards. If you want to cite #s you need to give the entire explanation.

All purpose yards are misleading because you're basically limiting it to guys who return kicks & punts for the Vol's.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All depends on who we add in the offseason. Josh Cribbs? Percy Harvin? Most importantly the players we have added from round 1 though round 3 would give me a better idea on whether or not I would use a pick on him on the 4th. What if Jarvis Jones is there or Marcus Lattimore or Tyran Mathiew, would you pass on them in the 4th fourth for Goodwin.

There is absolutely no way in this world that he would be there in the 2nd, 3rd, much less the 4th. Not sure what you could even construe to think that.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is still a chance of him being there in the 1st for us. Patterson is stil the first WR taken probably by the Rams and I believe that Austin will follow. I'm expecting him to be there at 31.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Dolphins took Patterson at 12. Very Julio Jones like.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would take all of those guys over Goodwin. He has potential to be a decent deep threat, but Goodwin's probably only going to be a return man in the NFL.

Goodwin is a much better underneath and middle of the field guy than deep threat. He is also very good on reverses.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
DeAndre Hopkins is looking like a realistic option now

I was very wrong about Austins speed (predicted a 4.48)

You and I had disagreement with his this issue during the college season (in the college/nfl draft thread). I told you he had wheels. His lateral movement is even more impressive. The guy is dangerous with the ball in his hands.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I don't buy into that opinion. Tavon Austin is a midget. His calling in the league is kick & punt returns.

Well, he's not a "midget." He's 5'9. Short for a WR, not all that short for a RB. I have a feeling teams are going to use him like the Chiefs used Dexter McCluster. He'll be one of those guys who's mainly known as a return man but also lines up at various places on offense in limited snaps IMO (it'll have to be limited because that 174 pound body wasn't made to play that many snaps in the NFL).

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
One guy who I would be interested in developing from the later rounds, if he's there, is Mark Harrison. I've seen some Brandon Marshall/TO comparison, based on his physicality and build (6'3, 231 lbs at the combine I believe). He has been working out with Marshall, too. He definitely needs some work, though. I just like the idea of what he could become. Long arms too, I think they came in at 35" flat.

He put up some great numbers today, too:
4.46 in the 40, 38.5 inch vert, 10'9 in the broad jump.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Steve Smith, Wes Welker aren't the tallest WRs we have in the league and they seemed to have dominated in their primes.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well, he's not a "midget." He's 5'9. Short for a WR, not all that short for a RB. I have a feeling teams are going to use him like the Chiefs used Dexter McCluster. He'll be one of those guys who's mainly known as a return man but also lines up at various places on offense in limited snaps IMO (it'll have to be limited because that 174 pound body wasn't made to play that many snaps in the NFL).

I'm 90% sure he's 5'8.

You don't pick a guy in the 1st round that you're expecting to get a limited amount of touches.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'm 90% sure he's 5'8.

You don't pick a guy in the 1st round that you're expecting to get a limited amount of touches.

Well, I certainly don't want him at 31.

3 websites I've found listed him at 5'9.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He is short but that doesn't mean he can't play. I don't really buy into the measurables as much as others do. Put him in the slot and that guy is going to be a nightmare I promise you.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't buy that. He can be a slot guy, run the ball, return. I don't think he will be mainly known as a return man. DeSean Jackson isn't any bigger than that and he plays plenty of snaps. No team is going to take Austin as high as he will go for him to just be mainly a return man.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Steve Smith, Wes Welker aren't the tallest WRs we have in the league and they seemed to have dominated in their primes.

Tavon Austin doesn't compare at all to Steve Smith because Smith brought that sheer power and played like he was the tallest man on the field (Please don't counter with Austin's bench reps, it's not at all the same).

I think we can agree that if Wes Welker wasn't on the Patriots that he wouldnt have near the production that he has/was been excepted to put up.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Lol no chance. I honestly don't see him having any place in the NFL.

TJ Moe isn't a straight-line guy but some believe he will find a role in the slot. For what it's worth, he had the fastest times of all WRs in the 3-cone, 20-yard shuttle and 60-yard shuttle. It wasn't close.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All purpose yards are misleading because you're basically limiting it to guys who return kicks & punts for the Vol's.

It also shows hiw game breaking ability though as well as his potential YAC ability. All of these things are attractive to teams.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There is absolutely no way in this world that he would be there in the 2nd, 3rd, much less the 4th. Not sure what you could even construe to think that.

Citing a league source, Profootballtalk.com reports Georgia OLB Jarvis Jones' neck injury (spinal stenosis) is causing "multiple teams" to shy away from him, particularly in round one.
PFT reports Jones is being removed from draft boards, ostensibly after Combine medical exams confirmed the stenosis. Jones received a clean bill of health at Georgia and dominated the SEC, but he's opted out of Combine drills and "multiple teams" have "already decided to avoid him." We witnessed a similar situation in the 2011 draft. Widely expected to be a top-ten pick, Da'Quan Bowers slipped all the way to Bucs' second-round selection (No. 51).
Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports Feb 23 - 12:18 PM

You must be a team doctor that cleared him to be 100% healthy. You must have insight info about his medical situation, would you be kind to share it with us?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was HELL recording all these. NFLN didn't show the 10 times so I had to do it off their online coverage and had a terrible connection.

Just HORRIBLE, TERRIBLE, very bad coverage this year by the NFL. They should be ashamed of themselves, both online and on NFL Network. I could go on for an hour but I won't.

Thanks for all your hard work, Pozz. It is appreciated, even by someone who isn't technical or draft experienced. I'm learning.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I wouldn't be surprised if the Dolphins took Patterson at 12. Very Julio Jones like.

Why all the Julio Jones comparison as of late. When in fact it was you who ridiculed people making that same comparison about a month ago.