• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL realignment.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I propose an alignment in which no teams switch conferences, but a number of teams switch divisions to make them more geographically correct:

AFC:
E: BUF, NE, NYJ, PIT
N: CIN, CLE, IND, KC
S: BAL, JAX, MIA, TEN
W: DEN, HOU, LAC, OAK->LV

NFC:
E: CAR, NYG, PHI, WAS
N: CHI, DET, GB, MIN
S: ATL, DAL, NO, TB
W: ARI, LAR, SF, SEA

Some notes:
Both North Divisions have all their teams in the Midwest
Both South Divisions have all their teams south of the proverbial Mason-Dixon Line; the Colts fans really wanted their team in the AFC North, and Miami goes from having all their division rivals being very far away to their farthest division rival being closer than their current closest rival
The 3 Northeast teams in the NFC East are joined by an actual 4th team in an east coast state
Pittsburgh moves into a division with other Northeastern teams like the Penguins are now
Dallas moves into a division with other Southern teams

It's 2018, there is no need for them to be geographically correct. Especially when you own a couple of these.

27165251928_b122f0ec42_b.jpg

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they have airplanes and TV and shit now. Moving teams around by geography appeals to the logic that your organized head has to have. How does that benefit the sport?

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is for the must of 8 divisions. I'm in favor of going to 6, but it would stagger the number of teams in each. Putting the Colts in the NFC East makes more sense than the Cowboys. This would look even better if the Colts were still in Baltimore. Be honest. Who didn't know the Colts used to be in Baltimore (1953-83)? I wanted to put the Dolphins in the South somewhere, but couldn't do it without displacing another team into a less than feasible scenario. This is fun.

AFC East--BUF, MIA, NE, NYJ
AFC North--BAL, CIN, CLE, PIT
AFC South--DAL, HOU, JAX, TEN
AFC West--DEN, KC, LAC, OAK

NFC East--IND, NYG, PHI, WAS
NFC North--CHI, DET, GB, MIN
NFC South--ATL, CAR, NO, TB
NFC West--ARZ, LAR, SEA, SF

------------

What about 4 divisions of 8?
North--BAL, CHI, CIN, CLE, DET, GB, MIN, PIT
South--ATL, CAR, DAL, HOU, JAX, NO, TB, TEN
East--BUF, IND, MIA, NE, NYG, NYJ, PHI, WAS
West--ARZ, DEN, KC, LAC, LAR, OAK, SEA, SF

Some sweet rivalries rekindled or started.
Browns vs Lions
Bears vs Steelers
Cowboys vs Texans
Bucs vs Jaguars
Saints vs Texans
Giants vs Jets
Colts vs Patriots
Chargers vs Rams
49ers vs Raiders
If the NFL would even remotely for one second think about moving Dallas out of the NFC East, they'd probably switch them to the NFC South for Carolina. And if Indy got moved, they'd probably get switched to the AFC East with Miami taking their place in the South.

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you didn't know about the Baltimore Colts you probably haven't seen much football and therefore wouldn't care about any perceived rivalry.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes it helps to look at the sky at night and say WTF?

Big Z 1990

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Browns just fired Hue Jackson, third coach since 1999 fired without beating the Steelers.

Strengthens the argument for separating the Browns and Steelers

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if they had done a geographical alignment back in 1976 when the Bucs and Seahawks entered? 1968 was the first season in which DAL, NYG, PHI, WAS were all in the same division...not in 1969, however. By 1976, those teams were in the same division from 1970-75. Not a great deal of time. That would've been the perfect time for a serious realignment. Oh, what could've been.

Eastern Conference
East (5)--NE, NYG, NYJ, PHI, WAS
Central (5)--BAL (Colts), BUF, CIN, CLE, PIT
South (4)--ATL, MIA, NO, TB

Western Conference
West (5)--LA (Rams), OAK, SD, SEA, SF
Midwest (5)--DAL, DEN, HOU (Oilers), KC, STL (Cardinals)
North (4)--CHI, DET, GB, MIN

This is fun. :D

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if they had done a geographical alignment back in 1976 when the Bucs and Seahawks entered? 1968 was the first season in which DAL, NYG, PHI, WAS were all in the same division...not in 1969, however. By 1976, those teams were in the same division from 1970-75. Not a great deal of time. That would've been the perfect time for a serious realignment. Oh, what could've been.

Eastern Conference
Central (5)--BAL (Colts), BUF, CIN, CLE, PIT
South (4)--ATL, MIA, NO, TB

Western Conference
West (5)--LA (Rams), OAK, SD, SEA, SF
Midwest (5)--DAL, DEN, HOU (Oilers), KC, STL (Cardinals)
North (4)--CHI, DET, GB, MIN

This is fun. :D
Why not Buffalo in East and Wash in Central?

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm being honest, I've kinda grown tired of the Steelers being an AFC team. They should be in the NFC

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not Buffalo in East and Wash in Central?
I do not wish to split up NYG, PHI, WAS. In addition, it makes geographical sense for BUF to be in the Central.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm being honest, I've kinda grown tired of the Steelers being an AFC team. They should be in the NFC
I’m a traditionalist when it comes to this stuff. But if they’re going to do anything, I’m in favor of real geographic divisions with little deference placed on current NFC AFC designations.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m a traditionalist when it comes to this stuff. But if they’re going to do anything, I’m in favor of real geographic divisions with little deference placed on current NFC AFC designations.

I hear you. It just feels like, with the Steelers being one of the "old guard" NFL teams, and with so many of those "old guard" teams being NFC teams, it would just feel "right" for them to be among those older, more-or-less "original" teams. That, and I'm sick of playing the other AFC North teams twice a year. I wanna see a new generation of rivalries develop.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't there another one of these threads where we discussed getting rid of the Rams and Cardinals and going to 30 teams with six 5-team divisions?

This is a better setup and makes for a better playoff with 3 division winners and 3 wild cards.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is for the must of 8 divisions. I'm in favor of going to 6, but it would stagger the number of teams in each. Putting the Colts in the NFC East makes more sense than the Cowboys. This would look even better if the Colts were still in Baltimore. Be honest. Who didn't know the Colts used to be in Baltimore (1953-83)? I wanted to put the Dolphins in the South somewhere, but couldn't do it without displacing another team into a less than feasible scenario. This is fun.

AFC East--BUF, MIA, NE, NYJ
AFC North--BAL, CIN, CLE, PIT
AFC South--DAL, HOU, JAX, TEN

NFC East--IND, NYG, PHI, WAS
NFC South--ATL, CAR, NO, TB

------------
I think this is more in line geographically.

AFC East--BAL, BUF, NE, NYJ
AFC North--CIN, CLE, PIT, IND
AFC South--DAL, HOU, JAX, MIA

NFC East--CAR, NYG, PHI, WAS
NFC South--ATL, TEN, NO, TB

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear you. It just feels like, with the Steelers being one of the "old guard" NFL teams, and with so many of those "old guard" teams being NFC teams, it would just feel "right" for them to be among those older, more-or-less "original" teams. That, and I'm sick of playing the other AFC North teams twice a year. I wanna see a new generation of rivalries develop.
Really? I love the AFC North. I'm not a die hard fan of any team, but it has a lot of appeal. The teams are geographically sound and I love it when the Ravens and Steelers go at it twice a year.

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time to go old school. I HATE 8 divisions. 8 divisions are the devil. A losing team has made the playoffs four times in 21 seasons since the 8 division format was created. Time to rid us of that ill.

Eastern Conference
Central (5)--BAL, BUF, CIN, CLE, PIT
South (6)--ATL, CAR, JAX, MIA, NO, TB

Western Conference
West (6)--ARZ, LAC, LAR, LV, SEA, SF
Midwest (5)--DAL, DEN, HOU, KC, TEN
North (5)--CHI, DET, GB, IND, MIN

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing about the 8 divisions of 4 teams that's appealing is the scheduling. 6 in division games (in scenarios like the one above some teams would have more in conference games than others) which is the right amount (vs 8 or 10 which is too many), 4 games vs another division in your conference, 4 vs another in the other conference, and 2 more games in conference vs the other 2 divisions.

16 was nicely symmetrical, 17 kind of messes that up LOL

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? I love the AFC North. I'm not a die hard fan of any team, but it has a lot of appeal. The teams are geographically sound and I love it when the Ravens and Steelers go at it twice a year.

Eh. I'm tired of being Baltimore's rival. Fuck em with a half-hearted dick

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. However the afc north is that, at least

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing about the 8 divisions of 4 teams that's appealing is the scheduling. 6 in division games (in scenarios like the one above some teams would have more in conference games than others) which is the right amount (vs 8 or 10 which is too many), 4 games vs another division in your conference, 4 vs another in the other conference, and 2 more games in conference vs the other 2 divisions.

16 was nicely symmetrical, 17 kind of messes that up LOL
8 division games
4 games against 2 teams from the other two divisions (rotating)
5 cross conference games (each division every 3 years)

Fold the Rams, fold the Cardinals or someone else (Jets?). Easy.