• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Ranked Defenses

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#1 - Cincinnati Bengals 275.5 ypg
#2 - Pittsburgh Steelers 277.0 ypg
#3 - Baltimore Ravens 284.5 ypg
#9 - Cleveland Browns 320.0 ypg

Wow, that is one defensive division, and our beloved Cincinnati Bengals are #1 in the NFL in total defense.

WOOT!

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Toast to them fast!

I think they have enough talent there to be ranked top 10 still by seasons end. Plus, I don't think some of the teams we play this year are very offensive.

Buffalo was, but most teams we play this year are not very loaded on offense and with Manning missing in action, that game seems to be a good matchup for our defense.

BigBlueNation111

Let The Games Begin!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#1 - Cincinnati Bengals 275.5 ypg
#2 - Pittsburgh Steelers 277.0 ypg
#3 - Baltimore Ravens 284.5 ypg
#9 - Cleveland Browns 320.0 ypg

Wow, that is one defensive division, and our beloved Cincinnati Bengals are #1 in the NFL in total defense.

WOOT!

Hey,we gotta start somewhere...why not the D getting it done!:cheer2:

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Palmer's gotta be thinking, man I am a stupid asshole. I could be making 12 million bucks while having a top defense and a bunch of young hungry playmakers around me on offense (and an improving OL).

I guess he really hates Brown. Can't say I blame him there, but hating your boss worth giving up 12 million dollars? 50 over 4 years? Man is (as Kramer would say) Bat shit crazy!!

BigBlueNation111

Let The Games Begin!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Palmer's gotta be thinking, man I am a stupid asshole. I could be making 12 million bucks while having a top defense and a bunch of young hungry playmakers around me on offense (and an improving OL).

I guess he really hates Brown. Can't say I blame him there, but hating your boss worth giving up 12 million dollars? 50 over 4 years? Man is (as Kramer would say) Bat shit crazy!!

lmao!!!...Bat shit crazy!:roll:

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
PPG is a better measure of "total" defense. We're sitting at 18 ppg which is good for 6th.

jwil007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nice accomplishment......I rebuke injuries in the name of Jesus with my son and the Cincy Bengals offense and defense.....Amen

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PPG is a better measure of "total" defense. We're sitting at 18 ppg which is good for 6th.

But how many scores have the defense actually given up? I know 1 TD yesterday occured while the defense was not even on the field. How many TO have we had in our own 40 to set the opposing team up with an immdiate FG opportunity before the defense even takes the field?

PPG is a good measurement, but so is yards. They should take the two together and create a formula that takes both into account, like they do QB rating.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
top 10 would be nice.

drink to that #1 rating fast. It's lonely at the top babah.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
But how many scores have the defense actually given up? I know 1 TD yesterday occured while the defense was not even on the field. How many TO have we had in our own 40 to set the opposing team up with an immdiate FG opportunity before the defense even takes the field?

PPG is a good measurement, but so is yards. They should take the two together and create a formula that takes both into account, like they do QB rating.

Agreed.

You have to take everything into account. Especially when you're only 4 games into the season. That said, standing alone, while not close to perfect, I think ppg is better given that many teams give up huge yards, but don't break in the redzone. 3 long drives for FG is still some pretty damn good defense. Then there are other teams whose ST or O put the D in a bad place often, but still they continually give up TD instead of FG. Looks great for yards for the D, but not necessarily the case since they're probably horrible in points.

Point being, there are more factors that can go into yards given up than points given up.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Of course, much more would be expected from Palmer this year, after a 4-12 season, and the classic scape goats removed, possibly more than he can deliver, which would only hurt his career at this point. Anything short of a decent playoff run would have been a disappointment.

I'm sure he was just tired of the nonsense in this town and with this ball club, and like a broken record, he keeps reminding himself of that. Miami is such a nice place to spend fall and winter.

Skinnyfats

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People would be willing to do some crazy shit for 12 million dollars. Would play out my contract and then leave but each person is their own person.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's scary is that Buffalo was probably the best offense we'll face until week 10. We don't play a lot of good offensive teams this season. The Ravens have their moments, the Steelers have playmakers and the Texans have an explosive offense. Everyone else is somewhat limited (though, I'd say Tennessee has been much better than I thought). This D should easily finish in the top 10 and has a shot at a top 5.

BigBlueNation111

Let The Games Begin!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course, much more would be expected from Palmer this year, after a 4-12 season, and the classic scape goats removed, possibly more than he can deliver, which would only hurt his career at this point. Anything short of a decent playoff run would have been a disappointment.

I'm sure he was just tired of the nonsense in this town and with this ball club, and like a broken record, he keeps reminding himself of that. Miami is such a nice place to spend fall and winter.

.....reped ya on that.:becky:

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed.

You have to take everything into account. Especially when you're only 4 games into the season. That said, standing alone, while not close to perfect, I think ppg is better given that many teams give up huge yards, but don't break in the redzone. 3 long drives for FG is still some pretty damn good defense. Then there are other teams whose ST or O put the D in a bad place often, but still they continually give up TD instead of FG. Looks great for yards for the D, but not necessarily the case since they're probably horrible in points.

Point being, there are more factors that can go into yards given up than points given up.

They should simply take out any TD's given up by way of returns (Int/punt/fumble/kickoff). In addition, maybe take the average yards gained in a single drive (example ave. offensive drive is 20 yards before having to punt or something). From that they can derrive whether a defense should have been expected to give up any points after their offense turns the ball over. So, if a team turns the ball over on the opponents 48 yard line...the average drive being 20 yards (for this argument) that wouuld put the defense back at the 38 yard line, and potentially giving up a FG, but they would have still have held the opposing offense to the average amount (or less) of yards expected. So, in this case, the FG wouldn't count against their PPG average just like the returns wouldn't.

Hopefully that makes some sense....hard to type it out the way I am thinking it up.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should simply take out any TD's given up by way of returns (Int/punt/fumble/kickoff). In addition, maybe take the average yards gained in a single drive (example ave. offensive drive is 20 yards before having to punt or something). From that they can derrive whether a defense should have been expected to give up any points after their offense turns the ball over. So, if a team turns the ball over on the opponents 48 yard line...the average drive being 20 yards (for this argument) that wouuld put the defense back at the 38 yard line, and potentially giving up a FG, but they would have still have held the opposing offense to the average amount (or less) of yards expected. So, in this case, the FG wouldn't count against their PPG average just like the returns wouldn't.

Hopefully that makes some sense....hard to type it out the way I am thinking it up.

I like the average offensive drive, because maybe our offense sucks so badly, that we have to punt 10 times a game or more, giving the opposing offense more opportunities to score or gain yards. Same with turnovers, ect.

We may be #1, but opposing offenses only maybe average 11 drives per game, and the 2nd place team, say Steelers, opponents average 13 drives per game, making it likely that they will more than likely to give up more yards or scores because of the number of opportunities opposing offenses have in a game on average.

JBUCK66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
woot indeed......definitely woot.....dbl. woot.....it can't be argued

NCGhosthunter

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
more stats, we are:

3rd against the pass
7th against the rush
tied for 1st in yards per carry at 3.1
tied for 6th in total points

if you only go with passing and rushing TD's, and take out fumble recoveries, Kick and Punt return and interceptions, we are
tied for 5th in total points, straight rushing and passing....

got all that from NFL.com stats