• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Ranked Defenses

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
p.s. For those that participated (crash, 78, ghost, vancey), I appreciate the civilized discussion (minus the couple bams and lols which really have little value in these types of discussions) while also being able to think beyond the scope of what individual stats - and even the accumulation of a few - generally tell us, and delving deeper into the stats to find out what they actually represent.

These kinds of threads happen very rarely around here.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
p.s. For those that participated (crash, 78, ghost, vancey), I appreciate the civilized discussion (minus the couple bams and lols which really have little value in these types of discussions) while also being able to think beyond the scope of what individual stats - and even the accumulation of a few - generally tell us, and delving deeper into the stats to find out what they actually represent.

I like long punts too, but I would much rather have the hangtime in general, because one thing that messes with a returners head is having to decide whether or not to call a fair catch, or try and return it. If it is still getting about 44 yard punts off the returner has a chance to return it if covered well, but for the most part, he is having to make split second decisions on whether to fair catch it, or return it. Good hang time with about 45 yards is right in the uncomfortable range for most guys.

Could result in the returner taking one final glance downfield, losing track of the ball and fumbling it over. It could also mean not getting a good look at coverage and attempting a return not realizing the coverage is already on top of him, which could result in a big hit and fumble.

The hangtime kicks with decent distance, 45 yards, is golden. Especially since Huber seems to put more balls inside the 5 yard line than anyone else in the league it seems. His hangtime causes the ball to bound up rather than forward which allows coverage to get to where they need to be to down the ball deep in the opposing teams territory.

As I see it, less happens bad when you have a good hangtime kicker versus a 50 yard bomber who out kicks his coverage. But that is me.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing with Huber is that if you are on the 15 or 20 yard line on your own side of the field...you know that he's capable of nailing that 70 yard punt to flip the field. Now, he's not as consistent as Lechler at it, but he's got the leg to do it.

Fortunately, the Bengals have started with such good field position, overall (it seems), that he's been relegated to not kicking the ball into the endzone more often than being asked to boot it 50+ yards.

Last edited by a moderator:

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
All good points. And I do see the other side of the argument and am not opposed to it.

I could be naive here, but maybe we're all off base, and it's just be a factor of leg strength. Stronger the leg, the higher he can punt and the further he can punt. Direct correlation. Just a matter of the situation for which one the punter utilizes.

Under that assumption, Huber's longest punt this season is a 60 yarder which is good for 17th (though he did boot one for 72 yards last season [probably included bounces]). Somewhat decent indicator of leg strength.

I've also looked at last season's stats to get a better sample, and it seems consistent to this. He was #1 in return yards at 4.8, but he was average or below average in just about everything else. I'm wondering if the tops in return yards is more a factor of a unique ideal with the Bengals or maybe the play of the other 10 ST's guys (scheme, quality players, etc). It just seems odd that it would pinpoint to something Huber specializes in or something he does that nobody else does for why all his other stats would be average or below, but this one measure is always tops in the league.

I'm a fan of Huber, but based on a quick glance of the stats, it seems he's pretty average if not just a little above.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All good points. And I do see the other side of the argument and am not opposed to it.

I could be naive here, but maybe we're all off base, and it's just be a factor of leg strength. Stronger the leg, the higher he can punt and the further he can punt. Direct correlation. Just a matter of the situation for which one the punter utilizes.

Under that assumption, Huber's longest punt this season is a 60 yarder which is good for 17th (though he did boot one for 72 yards last season [probably included bounces]). Somewhat decent indicator of leg strength.

I've also looked at last season's stats to get a better sample, and it seems consistent to this. He was #1 in return yards at 4.8, but he was average or below average in just about everything else. I'm wondering if the tops in return yards is more a factor of a unique ideal with the Bengals or maybe the play of the other 10 ST's guys (scheme, quality players, etc). It just seems odd that it would pinpoint to something Huber specializes in or something he does that nobody else does for why all his other stats would be average or below, but this one measure is always tops in the league.

I'm a fan of Huber, but based on a quick glance of the stats, it seems he's pretty average if not just a little above.

Actually, his long was 77 yards and it was all in the air where the Jets returner had to catch it over his shoulder, run backwards for several yards to slow his momentum, and then turn around and get a few yards out of it.

Video Review: When Punters Become Your Biggest Asset - Cincy Jungle

Huber has plenty of leg.

> Kevin Huber punts for 77 yards to NYJ14. Jeremy Kerley return for 8 yards to NYJ22. Tackled by Jeromy Miles.

Read more: Bengals vs. Jets - Play by Play - August 21, 2011 - NFL - Football - SI.com

That was in the Jets Preseason Game this year, and you can see the play occur in the first quarter down a little ways near 9 minute mark I think.

NCGhosthunter

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

just got in from work, and that is something we definitely can agree on, very good discussion, and like one said it's about our punter! Life is good after 4 games....

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rey is a condescending douchebag. Carry on.

How's that for adding to the discussion?

Restore the Roar

Hopeless Addict
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It just seems odd that it would pinpoint to something Huber specializes in or something he does that nobody else does for why all his other stats would be average or below, but this one measure is always tops in the league.

I think it's because he is one of the best directional punters in the league. No facts to suport this, just an OPINION.