• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL must change OT rules

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No- this is the dumbest response you could give- especially when the 2nd half has 31 points as a retort. That's exactly why you defer.

It's only dumb when your team is the loser. I think the rules should be changed and if a team is down 14-0 at the half the rest of the game is cancelled........Mercy Rule.

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck that if your defense sucks go home and sit on your couch. Get a fucking stop this isn’t Texas Tech and Oklahoma

Why ya gotta go and kick Oklahoma in this thread brah...

You’re right though

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? Because your team didn't win this time? Then we change again if you lose under your new rules? And again? and again? And we keep changing until you win then the rule is OK.
My team wasn't playing. Again, this is hardly the first time the OT rule has been harshly criticized.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hate to see an offensive game end like that one did. Chiefs offense deserved a chance to match.

Coin flip decided it. That is weak.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I appreciate the outrage...

The Chiefs scored 0 points against a mediocre defense in the 1st half. That's unacceptable. They should be hanging 40+ every time on that defense with Watkins in the lineup.

Really weak effort from all-around. Fantastic 2nd half, but it never should have come down to a coin toss in OT.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hate to see an offensive game end like that one did. Chiefs offense deserved a chance to match.

All the chiefs had to do was have their bonehead DE line up onsides and the INT is game over.

Then we are not in here barking about a rule change. Chiefs had plenty of chances before and after the coin flip

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not a rule problem, that's a player problem. Jones was blocked and he no chance of doing anything. Brady had thrown the ball and Jones took a shot at him. The rules are simple. If you swing at an opponents head it is Unsportman Like Conduct and a 15 yard penalty. How many times have you seen it in the trenches where a frustrated DL takes a swing at an OL? I agree that Jones missed, but angle the official had must have made it appear that he hit Brady.

Conclusion: Stupid, unnecessary play by Chris Jones that had zero effect on the play and gave the Patriots a free 15 yards and a first down.

Let's not get into replaying every call.

Dude. This post is gibberish. A swing at the QBs head?? 99.9% of the time it's just a defender trying to tip the ball or force a fumble. It is rarely if ever an intentional strike to the head, more just gravity doing it's thing. If it's blatant and egregious, than it should be called, if it has the same force as a fucking butterfly cruising by, it SHOULD NOT BE CALLED.

Anyone who thinks that shit should be called is a fucking pussy.

And they don't need to replay every call, just remove the pussy clause from the rule.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to get to 3rd and 10 to begin with, but thanks for again trying to put words in my mouth.

So you see as many 6-3 games as we did in the 90's? I sure don't. It's glaring how different it is. The league calls way too many PI/ holding now. They want scoring.

Grimy details.

I said IF you think...if you don't think 3rd & 10...does it apply?.

That's hardly putting words in your mouth.

You didn't say that's why KC lost, I insinuated that you did, I stand corrected there.

Scoring...here we agree 100%, yes, the league knows the fringe football fan, and maybe even some younger hardcore fans want to see OFC. The rules have been changed for one reason...the league wants less hard hitting, blows above the neck, blows at the knees (QBs), etc...in that regard, it's a different game than many of us grew up watching. I'm with you 100% there.

What I'm struggling with is how the change in rules helped NE to convert not one 3rd and long, but 3. These are the league averages by team. For 2018, the worst in the league was IND at 48% allowed....KC was 46%. The law of averages indicate KC should've stopped at least one of them.

NFL Football Stats - NFL Team Third Down Conversion Percentage on TeamRankings.com

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nope. Whining about it is weak. Sack up and stop em' or you don't deserve to win.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why ya gotta go and kick Oklahoma in this thread brah...

You’re right though

You’re right Oklahoma is one of the better defenses in the Big 12. I should have said Texas Tech and West Virginia

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,005.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grimy details.

I said IF you think...if you don't think 3rd & 10...does it apply?.

That's hardly putting words in your mouth.

You didn't say that's why KC lost, I insinuated that you did, I stand corrected there.

Scoring...here we agree 100%, yes, the league knows the fringe football fan, and maybe even some younger hardcore fans want to see OFC. The rules have been changed for one reason...the league wants less hard hitting, blows above the neck, blows at the knees (QBs), etc...in that regard, it's a different game than many of us grew up watching. I'm with you 100% there.

What I'm struggling with is how the change in rules helped NE to convert not one 3rd and long, but 3. These are the league averages by team. For 2018, the worst in the league was IND at 48% allowed....KC was 46%. The law of averages indicate KC should've stopped at least one of them.

NFL Football Stats - NFL Team Third Down Conversion Percentage on TeamRankings.com
Again, I'll be clear here. KC lost because of Ford not lining up on what would have been the game winning int.

Im not irate about it, but as a fan it would be nice to see an extra full 5 or 10 minute period. 20 years ago such an extra full period had a much better chance of ending again in a tie anyway because defenses were a lot more dominating.

It's not that big of a deal, but I would favor some kind of tweak just in the post season.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the chiefs had to do was have their bonehead DE line up onsides and the INT is game over.

Then we are not in here barking about a rule change. Chiefs had plenty of chances before and after the coin flip
I don't disagree, but both defenses had already proven they were complete trash at that point.

A coin picked the winner.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree, but both defenses had already proven they were complete trash at that point.

A coin picked the winner.

Not in the NFC game it didn’t. So change the rules? I don’t want to see offenses go back and forth. Goodness just get a stop and don’t get flagged for a boneheaded offsides

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. Whining about it is weak. Sack up and stop em' or you don't deserve to win.
Neither defense was stopping shit.

A very intelligent coin was asked to decide the outcome since they couldn't decide it in the regular session. The drive was just masturbation, not football.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A very intelligent coin was asked to decide the outcome since they couldn't decide it in the regular session. The drive was just masturbation, not football.

So have special rules for the AFC, while a coin did not decide the game in the NFC? Seems to be cherry picking going on

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tough shit. That's their fucking problem. Rules shouldn't be changed just because two teams suck at defense. Hell, KC would've stopped em' had dumbass Ford not been lined up in their fucking backfield.

I agree with OP...the Rule SHOULD be changed....back to the way it originally was. Sudden Death. Sack up, or go home.