• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Free Agency tracker 2023

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t know what you guys expect ? We have 3.5 mil In cap space . Every year I tell you and every yr it happens , you can’t fix every hole in one off season .

we are in the middle of a sale with a new owner and a new direction

did you all forget the failures of the big name FA era early and for most of the Snyder era ?

every year we get the same let’s go after the newest thing of the day .

and. For goodness sake it’s RR picking these guys . Don’t expect anything to be different until next yr when we have 33 players under contract and 100 mil in cap space plus a full draft with a new direction

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t know what you guys expect ? We have 3.5 mil In cap space . Every year I tell you and every yr it happens , you can’t fix every hole in one off season .

did you all forget the failures of the big name FA era early and for most of the Snyder era ?

and. For goodness sake it’s RR picking these guys . Don’t expect anything to be different until next yr when we have 33 players under contract and 100 mil in cap space plus a full draft with a new direction
Well, I don't disagree with you.

You are 100% right.

I thought that we would have signed Walker and cross that off the list for early draft possibilities. We brought him in for a visit and he still went with CLE.

I was wrong.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I don't disagree with you.

You are 100% right.

I thought that we would have signed Walker and cross that off the list for early draft possibilities. We brought him in for a visit and he still went with CLE.

I was wrong.
Sometimes players just don’t feel they are a fit here . Could have used us for more money with the browns

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I expect this organization to finally take a stand and go for the gold ring, meaning a SB run. So, I disagree with about 95% of what you're writing!

Without exception, there are going to be holes to fill every year, and every year there are posters here who insist upon filling said holes instead of doing the one thing that dictates what's done or not done at every other position... stabilizing the QB position.

Big-name additions are supplements to winning programs not keys to building winners. It's not your fault, just an observation of a poorly run organization. It took a lot of debate and after years of dysfunction, Bruce Allen was finally removed when I called for his dismissal almost 8 years before it actually happened.

"every year we get the same let’s go after the newest thing of the day."

Yeah, except they NEVER go after that "newest thing" when the answer to our woes has been consistently QB. I could literally go back and repost, postings here that were made year after year against moving up to get a highly pedigreed QB.

1. Drafting one in the later rounds has clearly NOT worked.
2. Signing one who has been available in the off-season has NOT worked.
3. Filling holes without one has NOT worked.
4. 2011 is an outlier, so, finishing at their usual middle-of-the-pack draft position has NOT worked.
5. (Here's where I agree with you) Organizational dysfunction... meaning more than bad management, it also has to include poor constructional hires. RR for example is a defensive-minded HC attempting to win in an era in which the game has been purposely tilted toward offensive football. It has taken Chicago, Miami, and Jacksonville the better part of two wasted seasons to learn that surrounding their prize QBs with high-end offensive talent is the key to any future success that they are going to have. Washington, still running experiments, has a long way to go to get there, but it all starts with having an answer at QB and an organization that knows how to maximize his pedigree.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect this organization to finally take a stand and go for the gold ring, meaning a SB run. So, I disagree with about 95% of what you're writing!

Without exception, there are going to be holes to fill every year, and every year there are posters here who insist upon filling said holes instead of doing the one thing that dictates what's done or not done at every other position... stabilizing the QB position.

Big-name additions are supplements to winning programs not keys to building winners. It's not your fault, just an observation of a poorly run organization. It took a lot of debate and after years of dysfunction, Bruce Allen was finally removed when I called for his dismissal almost 8 years before it actually happened.

Yeah, except they NEVER go after that "newest thing" when the answer to our woes has been consistently QB. I could literally go back and repost, postings here that were made year after year against moving up to get a highly pedigreed QB.

4. 2011 is an outlier, so, finishing at their usual middle-of-the-pack draft position has NOT worked.
5. (Here's where I agree with you) Organizational dysfunction... meaning more than bad management, it also has to include poor constructional hires. RR for example is a defensive-minded HC attempting to win in an era in which the game has been purposely tilted toward offensive football. It has taken Chicago, Miami, and Jacksonville the better part of two wasted seasons to learn that surrounding their prize QBs with high-end offensive talent is the key to any future success that they are going to have. Washington, still running experiments, has a long way to go to get there, but it all starts with having an answer at QB and an organization that knows how to maximize his pedigree.

Getting one in the first has not worked either. We traded up for RGME and Dwayne Haskins whom you still think was good. You have advocated for trading up and grabbing Justin Fields (time will tell) and Kyler Murray,

Hindsight what it is, the best options would have been Jalen Hurts in round 2, Lamar Jackson late round 1, or Dak in round 4.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting one in the first has not worked either. We traded up for RGME and Dwayne Haskins whom you still think was good. You have advocated for trading up and grabbing Justin Fields (time will tell) and Kyler Murray,

Hindsight what it is, the best options would have been Jalen Hurts in round 2, Lamar Jackson late round 1, or Dak in round 4.
Or keeping what we had ?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That won’t happen till we get a new owner and that’s the point . I didn’t forget the Snyder / cerratto era when we went after big names and like Jeff George and Deion Sanders who were past their primes and numerous other contracts . RG 3 was a bust and good scouting would have shown that as it would have with Haskins or Shuler or JC

right now the only qb on the market that isn’t spoken for is Lamar Jackson and 21sts and a huge cap number contract is the cost

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Great, they tried it one time and since it didn't work, oh well, let's continue to do those things that also don't work.

RGIII as I've pointed out multiple times became a system failure that included organizational dysfunction and a willingness to allow personal dysfunction.
Haskins fell to them at pick 15 and rather than debating whether he was "good" or not, let's try an easy experiment. The following is a selected list of QB drafted during and since the 2019 draft. All you have to do is pick out the one that didn't get (or isn't currently getting) the coaching and/or offensive supporting cast that made him first-round eligible.

Kyler Murray
Daniel Jones
Dwayne Haskins <<<< pick this one, obviously!!
Joe Burrow
Tua Tagovailoa
Justin Herbert
Trevor Lawrence
Trey Lance
Justin Fields

Now to be fair two other guys were picked within the top 15 during this drafting period.

Mac Jones (who had modest success until supportive things went south in New England)
Zach Wilson (Jets... need I say more?)

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to have a Qb period
Some years ago I created a thread that asked if the board's preference was to build the team first and then get a QB OR get the QB and build around him. Not surprisingly the organization in concert with the majority here selected the former and here we are ... still building... and going nowhere!

The biggest problem with building your team first is being competitive to the point where you with back into the playoffs, barely miss making the playoffs or finish just outside of the playoffs. In every case, your draft position won't be favorable to selecting a premium signal caller.

Today, Washington has some really interesting offensive pieces at WR and RB all are either reaching or currently well within their peak years (average NFL player years is somewhere between 3 and 5 seasons) So, how does Washington approach this season? ... experimenting with Sam Howell!!

Unfortunately, you can't make this shit up!:wtf:

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That won’t happen till we get a new owner and that’s the point . I didn’t forget the Snyder / cerratto era when we went after big names and like Jeff George and Deion Sanders who were past their primes and numerous other contracts . RG 3 was a bust and good scouting would have shown that as it would have with Haskins or Shuler or JC

right now the only qb on the market that isn’t spoken for is Lamar Jackson and 21sts and a huge cap number contract is the cost
Leadership isn't automatic because you own a team, sometimes you have to grow into the part be forced by circumstance or those around you with the inner fortitude to say no while demonstrating it. I've always wondered how much compromising oneself costs and thus far during the Snyder ownership era, the ONLY man to stand up in that regard has been Marty Schottenheimer!

Regarding everything that you've written about RGIII, and Haskins please refer to post #189 in this thread.

I've explained how easy it would be to get Jackson in another thread.

Question if you could move up in this draft to get one of the top two QBs or a little lower to get Richardson, would you do it?

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It always amazes me how some folks supported drafting Griffin and Haskins and want to do it again despite the fact neither was any good ... then turn around and dump on Cousins.

Lets give up draft picks and a shit ton of money for another failed experiment.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some years ago I created a thread that asked if the board's preference was to build the team first and then get a QB OR get the QB and build around him. Not surprisingly the organization in concert with the majority here selected the former and here we are ... still building... and going nowhere!

The biggest problem with building your team first is being competitive to the point where you with back into the playoffs, barely miss making the playoffs or finish just outside of the playoffs. In every case, your draft position won't be favorable to selecting a premium signal caller.

Today, Washington has some really interesting offensive pieces at WR and RB all are either reaching or currently well within their peak years (average NFL player years is somewhere between 3 and 5 seasons) So, how does Washington approach this season? ... experimenting with Sam Howell!!

Unfortunately, you can't make this shit up!:wtf:

You seem to discount the coach in your equation, even though you can’t stand RR as a coach. Anyways, let’s look at the last couple of draft classes because we can’t remember when you asked the question.

2022 Pickett wasn’t chosen until number 22. I don’t remember you banging your drum for him though. I think you were a Malik Willis guy, even in the first.

2021 Trevor Lawrence was an impossibility. Zach Wilson was ass. Trey Lance is ass and we were not going to make it all the way to three. Mac Jones wouldn’t have been interesting to you. Now Justin Fields was your guy. I know this and even support you in this. I would have been willing to part with our 2022 first and second to make this happen but Fields has not proven worthy of that trade yet.

2020 Joe Burrow was not going to happen. Most would have taken Tua and he would have failed. Sure, Justin Herbert would have been a good pick and we should have taken him because we were so bad at the time we picked 2. It would have been really brilliant to have taken Hurts in the second.

2019 you loved Murray but we were not getting him. Had we traded that far up, it would have cost three extra firsts and Murray is not good. We would be awful. Daniel Jones, please. We stayed put and got Haskins, which you loved and I supported the pick. Oops. He was awful.

So to summarize, the only player we should have taken for sure over the last four drafts was Herbert but we didn’t need to trade up for him. We also would have likely chosen Tua instead anyways. Now, you and I both like Fields as an option but to this point he has t shown he was anything worth trading up for either. I don’t trade up for RBs in the first and that is all he has proven to be at this juncture.

Yeah…I am sure the Eagles regret experimenting with Hurts.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great, they tried it one time and since it didn't work, oh well, let's continue to do those things that also don't work.

RGIII as I've pointed out multiple times became a system failure that included organizational dysfunction and a willingness to allow personal dysfunction.
Haskins fell to them at pick 15 and rather than debating whether he was "good" or not, let's try an easy experiment. The following is a selected list of QB drafted during and since the 2019 draft. All you have to do is pick out the one that didn't get (or isn't currently getting) the coaching and/or offensive supporting cast that made him first-round eligible.

Kyler Murray
Daniel Jones
Dwayne Haskins <<<< pick this one, obviously!!
Joe Burrow
Tua Tagovailoa
Justin Herbert
Trevor Lawrence
Trey Lance
Justin Fields

Now to be fair two other guys were picked within the top 15 during this drafting period.

Mac Jones (who had modest success until supportive things went south in New England)
Zach Wilson (Jets... need I say more?)

RGME was a failure. If he wasn’t, he would have continued elsewhere in the league.

No, let’s not skip over Haskins. We selected him and he was awful. When he left here, he was awful in another organization.

So who did Daniel Jones, Trevor Lawrence, and Justin Fields get?

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You seem to discount the coach in your equation, even though you can’t stand RR as a coach. Anyways, let’s look at the last couple of draft classes because we can’t remember when you asked the question.

2022 Pickett wasn’t chosen until number 22. I don’t remember you banging your drum for him though. I think you were a Malik Willis guy, even in the first.

2021 Trevor Lawrence was an impossibility. Zach Wilson was ass. Trey Lance is ass and we were not going to make it all the way to three. Mac Jones wouldn’t have been interesting to you. Now Justin Fields was your guy. I know this and even support you in this. I would have been willing to part with our 2022 first and second to make this happen but Fields has not proven worthy of that trade yet.

2020 Joe Burrow was not going to happen. Most would have taken Tua and he would have failed. Sure, Justin Herbert would have been a good pick and we should have taken him because we were so bad at the time we picked 2. It would have been really brilliant to have taken Hurts in the second.

2019 you loved Murray but we were not getting him. Had we traded that far up, it would have cost three extra firsts and Murray is not good. We would be awful. Daniel Jones, please. We stayed put and got Haskins, which you loved and I supported the pick. Oops. He was awful.

So to summarize, the only player we should have taken for sure over the last four drafts was Herbert but we didn’t need to trade up for him. We also would have likely chosen Tua instead anyways. Now, you and I both like Fields as an option but to this point he has t shown he was anything worth trading up for either. I don’t trade up for RBs in the first and that is all he has proven to be at this juncture.

Yeah…I am sure the Eagles regret experimenting with Hurts.
I'm not sure what your point is with this response. At any time during any of these drafts, Washington could have made an attempt to move up to grab any one of these guys. To be sure the cost would have been extremely steep but what's the point of it all if the best that anyone in this organization can come up with is Alex Smith, Kirk Cousins, or Taylor Heinicke?

The goal in case anyone wants to remember is winning championships and you're not going to do that with Cousins or any of the other trash that they've signed in recent years.

RGIII was electric in the one year prior to injury which effectively ended his time as a premier QB. People tend to forget about that 2012 season.

Haskins NEVER was given the offensive support afforded other top 15 QBs drafted since 2019, that is just a fact!!. To say otherwise is simply being historically disingenuous and unfair to the guy.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RGME was a failure. If he wasn’t, he would have continued elsewhere in the league.

No, let’s not skip over Haskins. We selected him and he was awful. When he left here, he was awful in another organization.

So who did Daniel Jones, Trevor Lawrence, and Justin Fields get?
An injury ended his time as a premier QB.

Nobody skipped over Haskins. He was awful to be sure but that's because the support staff and team around him were also awful.

Daniel Jones just got a new contract in part because he is just now getting the coaching support and offensive player support that he needs to succeed.

Trevor Lawrence was well on his way to being declared a "Bust" until Jacksonville changed its coaching staff and got him some weapons to work with.

Justin Fields was just given a vote of confidence and a new organizational support staff that made the decision to surround him with what each and every QB needs on the field to succeed. He is a better runner than Hurts, a better thrower of the football than Hurts and as I've stated in the runup to his draft will be proven to be a better QB than Lawrence.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure what your point is with this response. At any time during any of these drafts, Washington could have made an attempt to move up to grab any one of these guys. To be sure the cost would have been extremely steep but what's the point of it all if the best that anyone in this organization can come up with is Alex Smith, Kirk Cousins, or Taylor Heinicke?

The goal in case anyone wants to remember is winning championships and you're not going to do that with Cousins or any of the other trash that they've signed in recent years.

RGIII was electric in the one year prior to injury which effectively ended his time as a premier QB. People tend to forget about that 2012 season.

Haskins NEVER was given the offensive support afforded other top 15 QBs drafted since 2019, that is just a fact!!. To say otherwise is simply being historically disingenuous and unfair to the guy.

The point is now of the guys you have wanted would have made this team any better. Some would make it worse. Mahomes is fantastic and on his own level. Nobody takes pay cuts like Tom Brady. Other than those two, Aaron Rodgers is next on the best list but he can’t get anything done because he isn’t as good as Mahomes and doesn’t take less pay like Brady.

Justin Herbert gets all the accolades but has not really proven to be elite. You want to take a shot when the shot simply has not been worth it. No QB in this draft is worth a trade up and probably not even worth the number one pick. I don’t see any of these guys changing an organization. ,

You claim KC can’t win a championship. I would say not a single QB in the last draft class or this draft class will. You don’t trade up to just get a QB and cross your fingers.

I don’t forget about RGME’s good year. He was electric. He lacked the illusiveness of Jackson, Hurts, and Wilson but his speed would cause LBs to creep up and he would hit over their head in front of the safeties. His legs made play-action deadly. Then he got selfish and thought he was something he wasnt, a good pocket passer.

The team went 6-3 the prior year with Alex Smith before Haskins came on board. It was essentially the same team but they added McLaurin and Guice. The next season they added Antonio Gibson and Logan Thomas. You can make excuses for Haskins but he was a failure and your excuses don’t hold up. Haskins showed no growth and couldn’t catch on elsewhere.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An injury ended his time as a premier QB.

Nobody skipped over Haskins. He was awful to be sure but that's because the support staff and team around him were also awful.

Daniel Jones just got a new contract in part because he is just now getting the coaching support and offensive player support that he needs to succeed.

Trevor Lawrence was well on his way to being declared a "Bust" until Jacksonville changed its coaching staff and got him some weapons to work with.

Justin Fields was just given a vote of confidence and a new organizational support staff that made the decision to surround him with what each and every QB needs on the field to succeed. He is a better runner than Hurts, a better thrower of the football than Hurts and as I've stated in the runup to his draft will be proven to be a better QB than Lawrence.

If Haskins was good, he would have went elsewhere and the support staff and team around him would have improved him. You keep claiming that it is all about the QB but make excuses when he QB doesn’t make players around him better…if you like that player.

Daniel Jones just got a new contract because they made the playoffs. It was a stupid contract they will regret.

I still don’t think Trevor Lawrence is or will be good.

Like I said, I supported us going for Fields. I also would have gone with Fields over any rookie in this class because they are all the same QB, minus Levis. Fields may be a better runner than Hurts but Hurts is a better QB, at this point. There is zero evidence Fields is a better passer than Hurts…and I will take a passer at QB over a RB at QB.