• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft Talk-Packers

cyorgan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel much better about EDS than you do. He played pretty well after he replaced Saturday. He may still be the weak link in the o-line, but I don't think it's a gaping hole by any means. I actually think our depth at guard is our biggest issue.

You think Jones was a better prospect than Bakhtiari was...that's fine. Obviously the Packers disagreed. Clearly they saw something on Tretter that they liked as well. Honestly it made me scratch my head too, but if you see something, you see something, and you go for it.

I'll tell you in a couple years if it's a wasted pick.

I'd like for you to elaborate on this. We have so many guys that can rotate inside and out that I am curious as to how we lacked depth at that position. I assume you're talking about quality vs. quantity because we sure had the quantity.

With EDS, I referred to Center as a hole because we don't know if he's a long-term solution. I don't doubt how well he played, what I do question is whether or not he's the long-term solution. That's all.

alldaybaby55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like for you to elaborate on this. We have so many guys that can rotate inside and out that I am curious as to how we lacked depth at that position. I assume you're talking about quality vs. quantity because we sure had the quantity.

With EDS, I referred to Center as a hole because we don't know if he's a long-term solution. I don't doubt how well he played, what I do question is whether or not he's the long-term solution. That's all.

Yes...definitely talking about quality vs quantity. I see Lang and Sitton as the only "true" guards of the guys we might keep...though I guess Van Roten is a guard as well...but he's no lock to make the team. if Barclay wins that RT spot, that takes away probably our third best guard, and then the re-shuffling begins again. Maybe I'm forgetting someone.

cyorgan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, like I mentioned earlier, you've got Datko who is a stud linemen when healthy. They also talked about moving Sherrod to the inside. Van Roten apparently can play any of the 3 interior positions and Newhouse started out as a Guard and played his way to a Tackle position.

Either way, we're pretty much set at Guard. It's the Tackle positions that are suspect at this point given Sherrod's injury. Bak could play both positions given his frame and strength so we'll see where that goes.

alldaybaby55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, like I mentioned earlier, you've got Datko who is a stud linemen when healthy. They also talked about moving Sherrod to the inside. Van Roten apparently can play any of the 3 interior positions and Newhouse started out as a Guard and played his way to a Tackle position.

Either way, we're pretty much set at Guard. It's the Tackle positions that are suspect at this point given Sherrod's injury. Bak could play both positions given his frame and strength so we'll see where that goes.

Datko's a tackle, isn't he? Sherrod played what, half a pre-season game at guard?

If we're pretty much set at guard, we're pretty much set at tackle too, I would think...given it's the same guys, right? I just feel more comfortable with Newhouse, Sherrod, and Datko on the outside...Barclay too for that matter.

eliandco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, CBS had Bakhtiari as an early 3rd round pick and they had Barrett Jones as a late 2nd. My point is that we could've gotten Bakhtiari later in that round, and I know for a fact we could've gotten Tretter later in the draft. Tretter was booked as a 5th or 6th round pick by many sources. I don't question whether he can or cannot be a good player. He now has a tougher road given the injury. At least he can study the playbook, which given his education should take about 5 days to digest.

Here's the beef I have with that pick: Our biggest weakness along the O-line going into the draft was at Center. Some would argue LT, but I'm not buying it. We don't know if EDS is a long-term solution, Van Roten is a Guard that we THINK can play Center. He's never played Center to anyone's knowledge. So you have a ? there. Barrett Jones proved he could be a solid Center at Alabama and blocked for one of the best run games in the country. Why would you not draft that?:gaah:

Tretter ain't playing Center...sorry...

Then you look at where Tretter would most likely be playing. LG or RG. So you mean to tell me now that Sitton and Lang aren't cutting it? What about their back-up Barclay? You're telling me he didn't have a solid year last year? Then you look at possibly moving Newhouse or Datko to Guard and the team was very clear that they thought Bakhtiari could play both positions. So let's forget about drafting Barrett Jones for a second here and imagine that we JUST selected Bakh. Why not just draft Franklin at the second pick in that round without having to trade up?:confused2: Tretter was an Ivy League prospect with one good year and a lot of question marks around him. Personally, I liked him as a prospect but not at that point in the draft.

Honestly. I think either of the two 4th round O-linemen could convert to center. I think I read that one of them played a little center at one point. They are Ted Thompson type guys. Smart, and can play multiple positions... And it would also fit to the mold of drafting LT's (in college)and make them what THEY think they should be. All of them were LTs in college. The strategy is legit. Because you have serious depth at LT position. If fate should have it, we have 7 or 8 left tackles on the roster. Anyways... I thought we got a G/C in Tretter. and a G/eventually a T in Bakhtiari. (First thoughts on draft day) Just waiting to see how things develop from here. My thinking went this way because I believe we need another G/C to back up D-Smith. Tretter being smallish and coming from Ivy league. I thought he was the project G/C. Same for Bakhtiari as a project Tackle. Will be a solid back up guard until then. eh, I don't know chizzy about these guys other than what I read...

eliandco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tretter player his first 2 years at Cornell as a TE... You cant tell me he's not agile enough to play the center position...

eliandco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last years draft talk. But I noticed Datko weighing in at 6'6" 315. And I imaging his shoulder is back to full strength now...could be fighting for a spot...

cyorgan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Datko's a tackle, isn't he? Sherrod played what, half a pre-season game at guard?

If we're pretty much set at guard, we're pretty much set at tackle too, I would think...given it's the same guys, right? I just feel more comfortable with Newhouse, Sherrod, and Datko on the outside...Barclay too for that matter.

Fully agree there. I'd love to see some sort of jumbo running package with Barclay lined up as an extra TE with Bak behind him in some sort of wingback formation. If that got successful we could use that package in misdirection and reverse plays giving opposing teams NIGHTMARES. :cloud9:

I was kind of surprised to see multiple linemen taken, but on the other hand, this was a "meat and potatoes" type of draft so why not grab an extra guy? I also believe Sherrod saw a few snaps at LG during the regular season though he was used sparingly.

As for Datko, he's a Tackle, but they had been using him at RG during the OTA minicamp stuff they had a few weeks ago. Probably one of those things they were just trying like when Bulaga played LG during the preseason of his rookie year.