• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft Talk-Packers

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Guys have been on SH for almost 2 years now all on the SF Giants board but also want to talk Packers.

I'm a junior college student working to become a sports writer. I have a sports podcast "Three for the Win" and am very active on Twitter @ThreefortheWin
Have spent a lot of the offseason scouting these prospects but want to talk to fellow Packers fans about the upcoming draft, where do you guys want to go at 26 or just in the draft?

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey man. It'd be hard for me to say "I told ya so," because I really don't think I did say it, but I had a feeling it was either going to be Datone Jones or we would just trade our first round pick and load up in the 2nd.

As for the 2nd round, I really don't know. They have needs, but I think Thompson will stay in the trenches. OL and DL. Just not sure who he would like. Obviously a lot of locals are thinking Montee Ball, but I don't see that happening.

MajorPackersFan

Boycott CBS!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, a start-worthy interior pass rusher and, arguably, the best RB in the draft. Two players that will immediately pay dividends. I guarantee you that Rodgers will take fewer sacks this year simply due to a greater threat of the run.

Plus they still have 10 more picks with a lot of talent still available. TT will, without a doubt, find at least 3 or 4 more guys that will contribute on this team. I'd love to see a safety, ILB and some O-line help.

herky

YEAH JEETS!!!!!!111
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please stop draftingmy favorite Iowa players. Thanks in advance.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stop being a Bear!

This draft is making a lot off people excited. I hope Datone Jones shows up the same way Clay did.

cyorgan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johnathan Franklin>Eddie Lacy

We STOLE Franklin

Lil' West Coast bias there? :lol: I think Lacy is by far the better player.

However....

Franklin has a much better shot at succeeding in the league simply because we drafted Lacy first and THEN grabbed him. This is the situation Franklin needed to be drafted into. Franklin is a 3rd down back and doesn't really have the bulk to be an every down back in our offense. However, he will get his touches and if he doesn't go back to having fumblitis like he did in college at times, he can be a part of an excellent 1-2 punch. I do agree that we did kinda steal him, but he's not going to be a cowbell back in the league.

eliandco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Charles Johnson. our 7th round Wr. 6'2" 215 and runs a 4.38 40. nearly 40 inch vertical. Had 31 TDs in last 2 years. Let him and Rodgers get a few reps and defenders will crumble.

And the two 4th round O-linemen. We got Bulaga, Sitton on the left. D-Dmith at C... Lang, Newhouse, Sherrod, Datko, Barclay, Bakhtiari, Tretter all fighting for the two open spots. The rest fighting for roster spots. It will be a huge battle. But I like the two rookies.

I also am excited to see how Boyd breaks onto the scene. 6'3" 310. 32 bench reps, and played DE. Will play DE in our 3-4. Combined with our 1st round stinger Datone Jones... We have two rookies that will join our rotation. Neal, Raji, Wilson, Worthy, and Daniels will appreciate the help. Don't count out the 330 pound 26yr old undrafted rookie Gilbert Pena. Has the stats that tell me he is mobile and active for a big man. A wild card but worth mention imo.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lil' West Coast bias there? :lol: I think Lacy is by far the better player.

However....

Franklin has a much better shot at succeeding in the league simply because we drafted Lacy first and THEN grabbed him. This is the situation Franklin needed to be drafted into. Franklin is a 3rd down back and doesn't really have the bulk to be an every down back in our offense. However, he will get his touches and if he doesn't go back to having fumblitis like he did in college at times, he can be a part of an excellent 1-2 punch. I do agree that we did kinda steal him, but he's not going to be a cowbell back in the league.

No WC bias haha, just really love Franklin. Think we really are talking a Ray Rice type future and I know that is high praise. I still like Lacy we need the guy who can pound the ball inside, pick up the short yards when needed and be the battering ram inside the 10. Love having both of them

cyorgan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see that in Franklin but I don't think he's as tough as Rice is. Total speed guy. Perfect 3rd down back.

The Tretter pick was an epic waste. We could've had Bakhtiari at that slot and taken Barrett Jones earlier. Tretter is now hurt. Waste...

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see that in Franklin but I don't think he's as tough as Rice is. Total speed guy. Perfect 3rd down back.

The Tretter pick was an epic waste. We could've had Bakhtiari at that slot and taken Barrett Jones earlier. Tretter is now hurt. Waste...

I didn't like the Tretter pick much. Don't like Jones either, thought Brian Schwenke would have been the perfect center

alldaybaby55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How exactly can you call a guy a "waste" before he plays a game?

It's not like his injury is career-threatening...

And it's a dangerous slope to say "We could have had Player X at a lower slot."

You have no idea if that's true.

packfancjh

Hoopla Cash
$ 403.15
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm excited te see Johnson play but my two sleepers are Lane Taylor and Pena.

cyorgan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How exactly can you call a guy a "waste" before he plays a game?

It's not like his injury is career-threatening...

And it's a dangerous slope to say "We could have had Player X at a lower slot."

You have no idea if that's true.

Did I ever say his injury was career threatening?:L

Bakhtiari kept sliding down the boards, who's to say he wouldn't've slid down some more?:noidea: Another reason I think the Tretter pick was a waste was because we could've had him in the 6th. Plus, he seems to be another guy that's going to slide all over the place without having one definite position. Of course you want the best for a guy, but he was already competing for a spot that he wouldn't necessarily earn his rookie year. Now he'll be coming off an ankle injury and have to use a ton of time to adjust. I don't think EDS or Van Roten are the answers at Center and I'm miffed that Barrett Jones wasn't selected because he has the intelligence, class, versatility, and yes, athleticism to be an elite lineman at the next level. The only reason he slid as far as he did was because of the injury.

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall I am happy with Packers draft. I like the Jones pick in first and both RB´s. Do not know enough about the OL selected, only time will tell.

I doubt either WR drafted this year has big impact, WRs typically need 1-2 years in NFL before they breakout... if either gets 30+ receptions with all the weapons we already have that will probably be the most I would expect.

More looking forward to what 2nd year players step up... I am hoping Perry really steps up this year. We have a young defense that could really take another step forward this year if healthy.

alldaybaby55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did I ever say his injury was career threatening?:L

Bakhtiari kept sliding down the boards, who's to say he wouldn't've slid down some more?:noidea: Another reason I think the Tretter pick was a waste was because we could've had him in the 6th. Plus, he seems to be another guy that's going to slide all over the place without having one definite position. Of course you want the best for a guy, but he was already competing for a spot that he wouldn't necessarily earn his rookie year. Now he'll be coming off an ankle injury and have to use a ton of time to adjust. I don't think EDS or Van Roten are the answers at Center and I'm miffed that Barrett Jones wasn't selected because he has the intelligence, class, versatility, and yes, athleticism to be an elite lineman at the next level. The only reason he slid as far as he did was because of the injury.

No you never said it was career threatening. However, when you said "Tretter is now hurt...Waste" To me, that comes off as "He'll never be any good because he's hurt now." And actually reading the rest of your post, that's sort of what you said too.

As for Bakhtiari...he was what...a 4th round pick? Not that draft projections are the end-all here, but that's pretty much where he was projected to be taken. There's a lot of guesswork in your response..."We could have had so and so in such and such a round..." Like I said before, you have no idea if that's accurate. If you want a guy...if he's the top player on your board...you draft him. It's kinda silly to me to play that "We could have had X in the Yth round" game.

cyorgan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, CBS had Bakhtiari as an early 3rd round pick and they had Barrett Jones as a late 2nd. My point is that we could've gotten Bakhtiari later in that round, and I know for a fact we could've gotten Tretter later in the draft. Tretter was booked as a 5th or 6th round pick by many sources. I don't question whether he can or cannot be a good player. He now has a tougher road given the injury. At least he can study the playbook, which given his education should take about 5 days to digest.

Here's the beef I have with that pick: Our biggest weakness along the O-line going into the draft was at Center. Some would argue LT, but I'm not buying it. We don't know if EDS is a long-term solution, Van Roten is a Guard that we THINK can play Center. He's never played Center to anyone's knowledge. So you have a ? there. Barrett Jones proved he could be a solid Center at Alabama and blocked for one of the best run games in the country. Why would you not draft that?:gaah:

Tretter ain't playing Center...sorry...

Then you look at where Tretter would most likely be playing. LG or RG. So you mean to tell me now that Sitton and Lang aren't cutting it? What about their back-up Barclay? You're telling me he didn't have a solid year last year? Then you look at possibly moving Newhouse or Datko to Guard and the team was very clear that they thought Bakhtiari could play both positions. So let's forget about drafting Barrett Jones for a second here and imagine that we JUST selected Bakh. Why not just draft Franklin at the second pick in that round without having to trade up?:confused2: Tretter was an Ivy League prospect with one good year and a lot of question marks around him. Personally, I liked him as a prospect but not at that point in the draft.

alldaybaby55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel much better about EDS than you do. He played pretty well after he replaced Saturday. He may still be the weak link in the o-line, but I don't think it's a gaping hole by any means. I actually think our depth at guard is our biggest issue.

You think Jones was a better prospect than Bakhtiari was...that's fine. Obviously the Packers disagreed. Clearly they saw something on Tretter that they liked as well. Honestly it made me scratch my head too, but if you see something, you see something, and you go for it.

I'll tell you in a couple years if it's a wasted pick.

Stevein2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, CBS had Bakhtiari as an early 3rd round pick and they had Barrett Jones as a late 2nd. My point is that we could've gotten Bakhtiari later in that round, and I know for a fact we could've gotten Tretter later in the draft.

Shows you what CBS knows huh? I don't think "fact" means what you think it means.