• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFC Playoffs

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I know this is getting two weeks ahead of ourselves, but couldn't help but look this up:

To Break A Tie Within A Division
If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two Clubs
  1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
  2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
  3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
  4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
  5. Strength of victory.

We'll more than likely need to beat them in Seattle, and if we want to win the West, its fitting. This alone doesn't guarantee the West, but it'll go a long way.

The next best way is for Seattle to lose to the Rams and/or Cardinals. We then need to beat the Rams again to ensure we don't remain tied.

Seattle lost to New Orleans and Baltimore, so we could lose to the same two teams and possibly win the West. But again this would for sure require a win in Seattle.

Ok, we're not going to tie breaker 5. which i think we'd have lost? We won't go to tie breaker 4. either.

We already knew we'd have to beat Seattle for tie breaker 1. If we lose to Seattle again, highly unlikely we go to tie breakers at all. Mathematically we could, but not realistically.

Maybe need to beat the Rams again for tie breaker 2.?

Don't think we go to tie breaker 3, but IF we do, we have that after beating New Orleans.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm plucking the crow now, BBQ'ed was it?

Try as you might, your Dark Cloud attitude can't keep us real fans HAPPY as all get out!
Great win today. No matter how bad the defense looked all that matters at this stage is that they got a win. Thrilled with the outcome but I've yet to see this year the defense stop someone when they had to at the end. they've given it up every time. That's gotta happen.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Great win today. No matter how bad the defense looked all that matters at this stage is that they got a win. Thrilled with the outcome but I've yet to see this year the defense stop someone when they had to at the end. they've given it up every time. That's gotta happen.

I highly doubt it. The 49er's could win the SB and you'd still be looking for negatives.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
winter weather in seattle is an equalizer...

Could very well be, at least Seahawk fans are hoping as hell it is.

Seattle is 10-2 for a reason so it won't be easy to get the win. However, we know Seahawks think the same thing, it won't be easy beating the 49er's.

Whomever wins the West will have EARNED it.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could very well be, at least Seahawk fans are hoping as hell it is.

Seattle is 10-2 for a reason so it won't be easy to get the win. However, we know Seahawks think the same thing, it won't be easy beating the 49er's.

Whomever wins the West will have EARNED it.
Its the toughest division in football. The Rams now are playing as well as anyone not named the Ravens and Seattle and San Francisco are two of the conference's best teams.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its the toughest division in football. The Rams now are playing as well as anyone not named the Ravens and Seattle and San Francisco are two of the conference's best teams.

3 weeks ago the Rams got blown out 45-6 at home against those Ravens. Previous to that they lost to a Steelers team that has since benched their 2nd string QB as they apparently feel he's not that good, and yet he was good enough to beat the Rams.

I know they just beat Seattle, but Seattle has not exactly been a great team all season. Seattle has been a gritty team that manages to find ways to win. Very few of Seattles wins have come easily though. They've been primed several times for defeat and escaped. One of those great escapes came earlier this year against the Rams. Another came against us. If you look at the first 5 weeks of the season Seattle was very lucky to not be 1-4. They are team carried by Russel Wilson magic.

All that said I do believe the Rams more so than Seattle matches up to their record. Out of their 5 losses you have 2 to the Bucs and Steelers that just make no sense. 1 to Seattle which is ok because I feel the 2 teams are about equal. Then 2 to the 49ers and Ravens the cream of the crop right now. If they didn't have those 2 head scratching losses they'd be 10-3 right now. They are not a perfect team and proved that by dropping what should have been easy games. They're probably going to win 10 games though and are fighting for a Wild Card spot which makes them dangerous.

One of the best teams in the NFL right now?? No, but they are motivated and dangerous. I just don't see much changing when they play us again. Goff is still going to have our D-Line in his grill everytime he drops back, and for some reason the Rams can't run the ball this year which will still be a lot harder to do against our defense.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 weeks ago the Rams got blown out 45-6 at home against those Ravens. Previous to that they lost to a Steelers team that has since benched their 2nd string QB as they apparently feel he's not that good, and yet he was good enough to beat the Rams.

I know they just beat Seattle, but Seattle has not exactly been a great team all season. Seattle has been a gritty team that manages to find ways to win. Very few of Seattles wins have come easily though. They've been primed several times for defeat and escaped. One of those great escapes came earlier this year against the Rams. Another came against us. If you look at the first 5 weeks of the season Seattle was very lucky to not be 1-4. They are team carried by Russel Wilson magic.

All that said I do believe the Rams more so than Seattle matches up to their record. Out of their 5 losses you have 2 to the Bucs and Steelers that just make no sense. 1 to Seattle which is ok because I feel the 2 teams are about equal. Then 2 to the 49ers and Ravens the cream of the crop right now. If they didn't have those 2 head scratching losses they'd be 10-3 right now. They are not a perfect team and proved that by dropping what should have been easy games. They're probably going to win 10 games though and are fighting for a Wild Card spot which makes them dangerous.

One of the best teams in the NFL right now?? No, but they are motivated and dangerous. I just don't see much changing when they play us again. Goff is still going to have our D-Line in his grill everytime he drops back, and for some reason the Rams can't run the ball this year which will still be a lot harder to do against our defense.
I was astonished at how fierce the Rams pass rush was. They had Wilson completely off balance and contained. They did a much better job than the 49ers did against him. That pass rush as well as Goff's performance, reminded me of the Rams last year. Fortunately, they play the Cowboys this week and that will eliminate one of these hated teams and one of my two biggest fears.
One thing I had been thinking about, and some pundits on the NFL channel this morning echoed my fears, is the "nuclear option" whereby the Rams win their three remaining games and the 49ers lose their three remaining games ( a real possibility with the three new injuries to critical players putting them out for the rest of the regular season). In that case, the 49ers go from the #1 seed to completely missing the playoffs. Until that possibility is gone I will remain worried.
The other thing I was worried about, and a more likely scenario than the above, is that the Seahawks beat the 49ers in week 17 and the 49ers them would have to go to Dallas for the wild card game. Dallas is a very dangerous team for one game with as much talent as any team in the league. They could beat the 49ers in their stadium down in Dallas.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was astonished at how fierce the Rams pass rush was. They had Wilson completely off balance and contained. They did a much better job than the 49ers did against him. That pass rush as well as Goff's performance, reminded me of the Rams last year. Fortunately, they play the Cowboys this week and that will eliminate one of these hated teams and one of my two biggest fears.
One thing I had been thinking about, and some pundits on the NFL channel this morning echoed my fears, is the "nuclear option" whereby the Rams win their three remaining games and the 49ers lose their three remaining games ( a real possibility with the three new injuries to critical players putting them out for the rest of the regular season). In that case, the 49ers go from the #1 seed to completely missing the playoffs. Until that possibility is gone I will remain worried.
The other thing I was worried about, and a more likely scenario than the above, is that the Seahawks beat the 49ers in week 17 and the 49ers them would have to go to Dallas for the wild card game. Dallas is a very dangerous team for one game with as much talent as any team in the league. They could beat the 49ers in their stadium down in Dallas.

One positive though is the 49ers just won 2 out of 3 during one of the toughest 3 game stretches in league history. They destroyed the Packers at home, barely lost on a last second FG in Baltimore, and escaped New Orleans with a last FG of their own. Other than @seattle they're not playing in a more hostile environment than New Orleans and Baltimore this year. Even if they have to go on the Road and play @Dallas or @Philly.

Rams and Falcons @Home are games they should be winning based on everything we've seen all year. They'd have to suddenly collapse into the team we all feared they might be during those first few weeks. They've shown nothing but growth and improved play all season though. We've looked like the best team in the NFC West all season. 2 more victories likely seals that but 3 will guarantee it.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One positive though is the 49ers just won 2 out of 3 during one of the toughest 3 game stretches in league history. They destroyed the Packers at home, barely lost on a last second FG in Baltimore, and escaped New Orleans with a last FG of their own. Other than @seattle they're not playing in a more hostile environment than New Orleans and Baltimore this year. Even if they have to go on the Road and play @Dallas or @Philly.

Rams and Falcons @Home are games they should be winning based on everything we've seen all year. They'd have to suddenly collapse into the team we all feared they might be during those first few weeks. They've shown nothing but growth and improved play all season though. We've looked like the best team in the NFC West all season. 2 more victories likely seals that but 3 will guarantee it.
But the team we had also had Richard Sherman, Dee Ford, Kwon Alexander and Jackauski Tartt on defense. The current team will not have them for the remainder of the regular season. I did not like the way this defense looked at all against New Orleans; it has me concerned. But maybe that's just Drew Brees and company at home.
They did well in this 3-game stretch and if they were going to lose one, they lost the right one since the Ravens are in the AFC

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But the team we had also had Richard Sherman, Dee Ford, Kwon Alexander and Jackauski Tartt on defense. The current team will not have them for the remainder of the regular season. I did not like the way this defense looked at all against New Orleans; it has me concerned. But maybe that's just Drew Brees and company at home.
They did well in this 3-game stretch and if they were going to lose one, they lost the right one since the Ravens are in the AFC

Alexander has been injured for much of the season so he is less of a factor than Tartt and Sherman. See Ford has also been out for a while now and the defense has been fine. They game that this becomes a problem is against Seattle.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alexander has been injured for much of the season so he is less of a factor than Tartt and Sherman. See Ford has also been out for a while now and the defense has been fine. They game that this becomes a problem is against Seattle.
You thought the defense was fine against New Orleans? They really could have used Alexander's speed and tacking ability against Jackson. They definitely could have used Ford's speed.
When they get all those linebackers healthy next year and they can maintain that front 4; that's going to be the top defense in the league; especially if the Corners and Safeties continue to improve. They just gotta stay healthy.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

The offense is obviously coming around of late, and this is the time for it. Keep 'growing' right thru the play-offs.

I like to believe the D was mainly (not only) affected by this tough 3 game stretch, PLUS two road games. Under these conditions, not surprising they didn't play well in Nawlins. the Ravens game looked particularly tiring chasing/tackling Lamar Jackson? So now the issue on D from here on is injuries, vice physical and mental 'fatigue'.

Of all the current injured D playters, IMO the key guy for the play-offs is DJ Jones. While we have a good pass rush, we're not a good "run stopping" D. IMO we're best against the run when he plays.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You thought the defense was fine against New Orleans? They really could have used Alexander's speed and tacking ability against Jackson. They definitely could have used Ford's speed.
When they get all those linebackers healthy next year and they can maintain that front 4; that's going to be the top defense in the league; especially if the Corners and Safeties continue to improve. They just gotta stay healthy.

Unfortunately, injuries is part of the game and all teams have them. What we hope for is no 'season ending' type injuries, and certainly no injuries to key players. Key players are JG, Kittle, Buckner, Bosa, and Warner (he also calls the plays).

I do consider Armstead and Ward key players, but not expecting them back next season.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, injuries is part of the game and all teams have them. What we hope for is no 'season ending' type injuries, and certainly no injuries to key players. Key players are JG, Kittle, Buckner, Bosa, and Warner (he also calls the plays).

I do consider Armstead and Ward key players, but not expecting them back next season.
I think Ward will be back

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Did I say it was fine against New Orleans? I'm just not about to jump off a bridge because of one bad game. Half the key guys you listed have been out since week 8 or more so by and large the defense has been fine.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did I say it was fine against New Orleans? I'm just not about to jump off a bridge because of one bad game. Half the key guys you listed have been out since week 8 or more so by and large the defense has been fine.
Yes.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wasn't specific to a game but as a hole the defense has been fine without Alexander and Ford. Keep up sky is falling and I'll keep laughing.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't specific to a game but as a hole the defense has been fine without Alexander and Ford. Keep up sky is falling and I'll keep laughing.

LOL! Yes, there certainly were a bunch of holes in the defense that day.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
….and now DJ Jones is out for the year. How many injuries can this team overcome and still remain effective?