• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFC playoff picture

Category 5o

Errday Trollin'
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are forgetting the most important defensive stat...points per game. The Niners are #1 in the league giving up 12.9 per game. And it could even be lower if it weren't for a couple garbage time scores and a BS return TD vs Green Bay. Dallas is giving up 22.6 per game.

This doesn't mean that the 49ers would beat Atlanta, but comparing the defense to Dallas is pretty much apples to oranges.

That would be all fine and dandy to assume, but in this case you need to look at the totals for the defense. Why?

Dallas has turned the ball over 19 times, with a ton of those being in their own territory. Thus upping their PPG a large amount.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will be in SF in 2 weeks to see that slugfest.

Cannot wait.

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Atlanta hasn't won a playoff game since 2004. If they want to be take serious, they should win a playoff game. Fans gave the Cowboys shit for 10+ years for being win less in the playoffs. Why do the Falcons get a free pass?

Being undefeated during the regular season doesn't mean shit. As in it does not guarantee a Super Bowl appearance/victory.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Atlanta hasn't won a playoff game since 2004. If they want to be take serious, they should win a playoff game. Fans gave the Cowboys shit for 10+ years for being win less in the playoffs. Why do the Falcons get a free pass?

Being undefeated during the regular season doesn't mean shit. As in it does not guarantee a Super Bowl appearance/victory.

I was unaware that anyone was taking Atlanta seriously?? When the best teams in the NFC are brought up you hear SF, NYG, GB and Chicago but rarely Atlanta unless its as an afterthought.. and thats OK for now, you are 100% right in saying they need to prove it first but thats where all young teams are until they win.

Category 5o

Errday Trollin'
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouls say on a typical day Atlanta probably scores 31-34 in the game vs Dallas ( I mean just the 2 missed FG's by Bryant takes it to 25 and Atlanta RARELY would be kicking 6 FG's and only scoring 1 TD). I believe SF has a defense that is 7-10 points better than Dallas so that leaves me in the mid 20's for what I fgure the falcons would score vs SF. I would think a SF-Atlanta game would be in the 21-20, 24-21, 21-17 ish kind of range.

Bryant missed a 36 and 31 yarder. I have a feeling it had to do with his back and not practicing earlier in the week because of it. He was a game time decision, and we know they guy hadn't missed two fgs in a game since 2007, he's normally automatic in the 30s.

On the other hand, 7-10 points better than the Niners... I don't know about that. If Dallas doesn't turn the ball over, their defense is probably 3 points worse than the Niners (as the falcons is.) Just take the two games vs the Giants as an example, especially the last game.

The Giants scored 29 points. On a pick 6 and on drives of...

57 yards... FG
8 yards... FG
31 yards... TD
7 yards... FG
60 yards... FG
26 yards... FG

If there is one thing Dallas is doing right, it's Defense. They can't help that their offense puts them on their own side of the field more consistently than they are on the other teams side of the field.

Category 5o

Errday Trollin'
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And San Francisco has won 1 playoff game since 2002. That makes them leagues better, and more capable of winning THIS season? The past is the past.

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was unaware that anyone was taking Atlanta seriously?? When the best teams in the NFC are brought up you hear SF, NYG, GB and Chicago but rarely Atlanta unless its as an afterthought.. and thats OK for now, you are 100% right in saying they need to prove it first but thats where all young teams are until they win.

And how sweet would it be if that 1st playoff win came against the NY Giants in the ATL :wink:

:rockon:

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And San Francisco has won 1 playoff game since 2002. That makes them leagues better, and more capable of winning THIS season? The past is the past.

Since 2002, a lot changed for 49ers. The same cannot be said for the Falcons. The questions for the Falcons is: what has changed from 2008, 2010, and 2011?

Obviously, you being a fan of the Falcons could give a much better answer to the question.

I'd say their defense is much improved and the additions of Julio Jones and Rogers has helped the offensive side of the ball be more dynamic. Also, Matt Ryan is constantly getting better.

I guess the Falcons have changed.

Category 5o

Errday Trollin'
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since 2002, a lot changed for 49ers. The same cannot be said for the Falcons. The questions for the Falcons is: what has changed from 2008, 2010, and 2011?

Obviously, you being a fan of the Falcons could give a much better answer to the question.

I'd say their defense is much improved and the additions of Julio Jones and Rogers has helped the offensive side of the ball be more dynamic. Also, Matt Ryan is constantly getting better.

Dirk Koetter and Mike Nolan.

A lot more player improvement.

4 years more experience. More time to gel as a team.

A better understanding of how to look at the game. Team is 8-0 yet is being coached like they are 2-6.

Player pick ups on defense, including Samuals, Carr and so on.

It's a different team...

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think you pretty much nailed it. The Falcons are extraordinarily talented and have been for some time but they are also VERY young at the skill positions. That said they are also gaining experience every year. Big difference this year is the secondary which has been pretty lock down for most of the year in large part thanks to Mike Nolan. This was an area that we have struggled in for the last few years. Biggest difference though is experience and that comes with age and games played. The scary part about this team is they could be this good or better for the next 10 years.

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you pretty much nailed it. The Falcons are extraordinarily talented and have been for some time but they are also VERY young at the skill positions. That said they are also gaining experience every year. Big difference this year is the secondary which has been pretty lock down for most of the year in large part thanks to Mike Nolan. This was an area that we have struggled in for the last few years. Biggest difference though is experience and that comes with age and games played. The scary part about this team is they could be this good or better for the next 10 years.

Dirk Koetter and Mike Nolan.

A lot more player improvement.

4 years more experience. More time to gel as a team.

A better understanding of how to look at the game. Team is 8-0 yet is being coached like they are 2-6.

Player pick ups on defense, including Samuals, Carr and so on.

It's a different team...

I completely forgot about Mike Nolan.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dude, the Falcons have gone to the playoffs 3 of the past 4 years and lost in the first round each time, twice in the WC round, once at home. As for us, we just got back to the playoffs last year and won in the Div round.

I'm not sure what all this "since 2002" BS is about as it is kind of hard to win a playoff game if you don't make it to the playoffs. You can't deny the Falcons as well as Matt Ryan & Michael Turner have sowed the seeds of a "can't win in the playoffs" reputation.

As a long-time 49er fan I am too familiar with what it looks like when a HOF regular season QB turns into a world class pant-shitter in the playoffs - as do the Colts fans and right now Matty & Co. have a grip on that torch.

So, you might want to take note that just because your HC and your team and your QB can win regular season games that does not mean they can win playoff games. The playoffs are not the regular season my friend - not even close.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, the Falcons have gone to the playoffs 3 of the past 4 years and lost in the first round each time, twice in the WC round, once at home. As for us, we just got back to the playoffs last year and won in the Div round.

I'm not sure what all this "since 2002" BS is about as it is kind of hard to win a playoff game if you don't make it to the playoffs. You can't deny the Falcons as well as Matt Ryan & Michael Turner have sowed the seeds of a "can't win in the playoffs" reputation.

As a long-time 49er fan I am too familiar with what it looks like when a HOF regular season QB turns into a world class pant-shitter in the playoffs - as do the Colts fans and right now Matty & Co. have a grip on that torch.

So, you might want to take note that just because your HC and your team and your QB can win regular season games that does not mean they can win playoff games. The playoffs are not the regular season my friend - not even close.

Atlanta has had some serious bad fortune in playoff proceedings from having to go on the road in 2008 despite having an 11-5 record vs 9-7 Arizona, to facing the same fate last year having to travel to NY to play the Giants despite Atlanta having a better record to running into the buzzsaw that was 2010 GB. The Falcons have 2 of the 3 instances in the last 10 years of being a wild card team forced to travel to a division champ depite having a better record ( 2010 NO was the other) and in all instances the team with the better record lost. Add to that the fact that the falcons have had the misfortune of playing 3 teams that have basically been in playoff mode for 3+ weeks ALL of whom went on to the Super Bowl with 2 of them ( GB and NYG) winning it. All of these are true but still just excuses, we need to win in the playoffs despite the bad lot we have been handed priorly.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Atlanta has had some serious bad fortune in playoff proceedings from having to go on the road in 2008 despite having an 11-5 record vs 9-7 Arizona, to facing the same fate last year having to travel to NY to play the Giants despite Atlanta having a better record to running into the buzzsaw that was 2010 GB. The Falcons have 2 of the 3 instances in the last 10 years of being a wild card team forced to travel to a division champ depite having a better record (2010 NO was the other) and in all instances the team with the better record lost. Add to that the fact that the falcons have had the misfortune of playing 3 teams that have basically been in playoff mode for 3+ weeks ALL of whom went on to the Super Bowl with 2 of them (GB and NYG) winning it. All of these are true but still just excuses, we need to win in the playoffs despite the bad lot we have been handed priorly.

Listen, I understand the need for excuses, I've read plenty of them over here after last year’s loss to the G's; but the bottom line is this, if you need to excuse your losses in the playoffs - then you didn't belong there in the first place.

Win/Loss records, stats and all the skill in the world beneath the shoulders do not win playoff games and Championships; the strength of what you have between the ears is what wins playoff games and Championships, and either you have that or you don't.

Category 5o

Errday Trollin'
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listen, I understand the need for excuses, I've read plenty of them over here after last year’s loss to the G's; but the bottom line is this, if you need to excuse your losses in the playoffs - then you didn't belong there in the first place.

Win/Loss records, stats and all the skill in the world beneath the shoulders do not win playoff games and Championships; the strength of what you have between the ears is what wins playoff games and Championships, and either you have that or you don't.

That's all fine and dandy. Now explain to me how this applies to this years Falcons team, and why they would be any easier to beat than the Bears, Packers or Giants come playoffs time.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last I checked they beat us and went on to win the Superbowl last year. We can list a million excuses as to why we lost but the bottom line is, they had more points than us when the game ended. Kyle Williams had one huge fuck up when the punt hit his knee. The other fumble he had was because of a good play made by the Giants. They also took our receivers completely out of the game. Without saying "they have our number" can we not give credit to the Giants for beating us? Also, Eli Manning played a great game. He was getting murdered all night and he still played great. He is the reason I would give them the edge over us again.

Def not trying to discredit them. Just feel we can beat them!

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's all fine and dandy. Now explain to me how this applies to this years Falcons team, and why they would be any easier to beat than the Bears, Packers or Giants come playoffs time.

Seriously?

Common denominator #1 - Mike Smith
Common denominator #2 - Matt Ryan
Common denominator #3 - Michael Turner

As I mentiontioned, the playoffs are not the regular season. In fact, the regular season is to the playoffs what college ball is to the pros. The playoffs don't give a shit how good you are in the regular season. Stop thinking that what you are seeing now means anything - it doesn't

Any questions?

Category 5o

Errday Trollin'
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously?

Common denominator #1 - Mike Smith
Common denominator #2 - Matt Ryan
Common denominator #3 - Michael Turner

As I mentiontioned, the playoffs are not the regular season. In fact, the regular season is to the playoffs what college ball is to the pros. The playoffs don't give a shit how good you are in the regular season. Stop thinking that what you are seeing now means anything - it doesn't

Any questions?

I still fail to see why those 3 factors matter. For Mike Smith, this is a first time head coaching gig. He's definitely been learning on the job.

For Matt Ryan, see Peyton Manning.

Michael Turner, what does that matter? There's more than one man on the team. Hell, you might want to watch a little of Jaquizz Rodgers.

I don't understand why those three people make us unable to win in the playoffs.

As far as the regular season not mattering... You are right. We should stop playing it and just start in the playoffs, with the best teams on paper playing in the playoffs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still fail to see why those 3 factors matter. For Mike Smith, this is a first time head coaching gig. He's definitely been learning on the job.

For Matt Ryan, see Peyton Manning.

Michael Turner, what does that matter? There's more than one man on the team. Hell, you might want to watch a little of Jaquizz Rodgers.

I don't understand why those three people make us unable to win in the playoffs.

No one is saying you can't win in the playoffs - No one is saying you won't win. But if you think what your team is doing now is a harbinger of anything other than the likelihood you will make the playoffs you are sadly mistaken.