• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFC Championship game last year

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phuck Kyle Williams!!

Ray Dog, is that you? (Or am I misremembering? I thought it was him that was so persistent on this "phuck KW" thing. A lot of people felt that way at first, but since, no.)

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it would have been tough for him to have played worse than Alex did in that game. All he needed was a first down, and he couldn't get it.

What did Smith have in that game, three, maybe four total plays? When did Kaep take over last year? Game 9, or after the Saints?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What did Smith have in that game, three, maybe four total plays? When did Kaep take over last year? Game 9, or after the Saints?

Either I'm confused on what you are saying or you are on what he was saying. Smith had 7 throws in the St. Louis game (Week 10, our 9th game) and Kaep the rest of the season until that one series in the Arizona game. As far as this season, no one's talking about this years Saints, and Kaep took over before the NO game this season. So what are you saying?

Or are you saying three or four ok to good plays in the NFCC game and the rest, blah. And then saying that Kaep didn't take over last year so we don't know? When you say last year, do you mean 2012-13 season (but in November) or 2011-12 but in January?

Or are you asking him to clarify the hypothetical - i.e., start the game or after Smith starts and gets injured. When does Alex get injured in the Giants game in the hypothetical? We were up 17-0 at some point in the NFCC game last year, if Smith had gotten injured then, I say we would have won, but that's partly because I also believe that would change the whole game and KW wouldn't have fumbled twice. Kaep was ready enough last year to win it after a 17-0 lead if not for the punt fumbles, frankly, so was Alex, or rather the defense, despite the offense not doing anything in the second half.

Last edited by a moderator:

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me put it this way. Smith didn't do anything to win from the QB position when he could have. Two TD's weren't going to be nearly enough to beat Manning in that game. And Smith did jack in the second half. That half was why I didn't want Smith going forward. That half was why I didn't think we were a SB contender as long as Smith were the QB.

That being said, if Kaep takes over in week 9, do we even make the playoffs? Too many variables.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either I'm confused on what you are saying or you are on what he was saying. Smith had 7 throws in the St. Louis game (Week 10, our 9th game) and Kaep the rest of the season until that one series in the Arizona game. As far as this season, no one's talking about this years Saints, and Kaep took over before the NO game this season. So what are you saying?

Or are you saying three or four ok to good plays in the NFCC game and the rest, blah. And then saying that Kaep didn't take over last year so we don't know? When you say last year, do you mean 2012-13 season (but in November) or 2011-12 but in January?

Or are you asking him to clarify the hypothetical - i.e., start the game or after Smith starts and gets injured. When does Alex get injured in the Giants game in the hypothetical? We were up 17-0 at some point in the NFCC game last year, if Smith had gotten injured then, I say we would have won, but that's partly because I also believe that would change the whole game and KW wouldn't have fumbled twice. Kaep was ready enough last year to win it after a 17-0 lead if not for the punt fumbles, frankly, so was Alex, or rather the defense, despite the offense not doing anything in the second half.

Yeah, I botched that.

In Sick's hypothetical, I was posing the question of when Kaep came in. Was it after Smith beat NO? Was it because the Giants knocked Smith out? Was it because the game in week 9 knocked Smith out?

Again, too many variables. And I'm not sure any of them guarantee a win in that game if Kaep is the QB.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me put it this way. Smith didn't do anything to win from the QB position when he could have. Two TD's weren't going to be nearly enough to beat Manning in that game. And Smith did jack in the second half. That half was why I didn't want Smith going forward. That half was why I didn't think we were a SB contender as long as Smith were the QB.

That being said, if Kaep takes over in week 9, do we even make the playoffs? Too many variables.

Ahh, I think if Williams didn't fumble the defense did enough to win and two TDs would have been enough (so I'm not giving Alex for the would-be win). But if Alex had also kept drives alive, two TDs would have been enough, even if we didn't score. This says nothing on Kaep or Smith for that matter, just that two big things had to happen for us to give up the lead because the defense was great. The 10 points they gave up off KW's fumbles aren't their fault. It should have only been 6, not 10 anyway. Correction: we were up 14-0, not 17-0. Frank Gore rushed enough for us to tie it at 17 in our last possession.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No we weren't. Before we beat Atlanta, no team had been down by 17 in the Championship game on the road and won.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No we weren't. Before we beat Atlanta, no team had been down by 17 in the Championship game on the road and won.

Caught that right about the time you wrote that and amended my post above (a different post than you quoted). Damn. If it had been 17-0, we would have won!

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And that was the issue as the game played out. Manning and the Giants kept driving and scoring points. We kept racking up three and outs and hoping that field position would have won the game. All we needed was one drive resulting in a FG and the game ended. All we generated was Andy Lee.

Smith isn't soley responsible for this, but he could have made two plays in the second half, and we win that SB last year.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Caught that right about the time you wrote that and amended my post above (a different post than you quoted). Damn. If it had been 17-0, we would have won!

Yeah, saw it late, too.

And you're right. A FG was the difference between a SB win, and craps.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I botched that.

In Sick's hypothetical, I was posing the question of when Kaep came in. Was it after Smith beat NO? Was it because the Giants knocked Smith out? Was it because the game in week 9 knocked Smith out?

Again, too many variables. And I'm not sure any of them guarantee a win in that game if Kaep is the QB.

I agree with everything you said. I think with a starting Kaep we win the Giants game. In a game where Alex gets hurt before the 14-0 lead, I'm not sure. With a 14-0 lead, I think either QB would win without the KW fumbles. With the fumbles and a 14-0 lead, I don't know. Certainly either QB would have lost after the second fumble. I am alone in this, but I feel we were due for a FG if KW didn't fumble the second time. I don't have any proof for it, since we were stalling before, but just my feeling - and I would give Gore and Akers credit for that last year.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that was the issue as the game played out. Manning and the Giants kept driving and scoring points. We kept racking up three and outs and hoping that field position would have won the game. All we needed was one drive resulting in a FG and the game ended. All we generated was Andy Lee.

Smith isn't soley responsible for this, but he could have made two plays in the second half, and we win that SB last year.

Manning didn't keep driving. He scored 10 points by himself and 10 by the fumbles (though he gets credit for the TD not being a FG). Again, NO CREDIT to Smith, but the defense was stopping Manning. Smith's 17 would have beat Manning's 10, or if I give credit for the TD instead of FG, Manning's 14. (3 was KW on both fumbles (3 points each), the extra 4 on the TD is Manning.)