• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

............. Next Longhorn Head Coach

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone asked Strong how he feels about not being the top choice.....his answer: "I don't care if I was the 15th choice.....I'M THE COACH AT THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS."

I'm ALL IN. Let's get it.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A STRONG suspicion that thing won't go well in Austin with their new head coach. Not because Strong is not a good coach, but I don't believe he will fit in with the Texas culture. How well will Strong adapt to making all the concessions needed in Austin to the big cigars, the LHN, the Texas high school coaches, the demands of his fan base? All of these questions have not as yet been answered. Strong most likely believes he knows what he has stepped into, but it is very doubtful that he does. He has no recruiting ties to Texas, and his traditional recruiting base in South Florida may not be as willing to relocate to Austin as Louisville. He does not have any experience (who does) dealing with the time demands of ESPN and the LHN. No one knows if he has acquired the taste of kissing ass that a Longhorn coach must cultivate in order to keep everyone happy. How will he respond to the hatred that most of his conference mates has toward Texas? You know that all the Texas teams will bounce on any sign of weakness or problems in the whorn program. It will be surprising if Strong lasts as long as Brown did or will have a better record. Texas is likely to have screwed to pooch in this hire.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A STRONG suspicion that thing won't go well in Austin with their new head coach. Not because Strong is not a good coach, but I don't believe he will fit in with the Texas culture. How well will Strong adapt to making all the concessions needed in Austin to the big cigars, the LHN, the Texas high school coaches, the demands of his fan base? All of these questions have not as yet been answered. Strong most likely believes he knows what he has stepped into, but it is very doubtful that he does. He has no recruiting ties to Texas, and his traditional recruiting base in South Florida may not be as willing to relocate to Austin as Louisville. He does not have any experience (who does) dealing with the time demands of ESPN and the LHN. No one knows if he has acquired the taste of kissing ass that a Longhorn coach must cultivate in order to keep everyone happy. How will he respond to the hatred that most of his conference mates has toward Texas? You know that all the Texas teams will bounce on any sign of weakness or problems in the whorn program. It will be surprising if Strong lasts as long as Brown did or will have a better record. Texas is likely to have screwed to pooch in this hire.
-

He could fail but some of this seems a bit off.
No Texas ties: Mack didnt have many either. If you get recruiting, it isnt hard
LHN? How easy is that. It is a channel dedicated to propaganda. The real issue is how poorly it has been used. It is a weapon, not an excuse.
I do like that most of the criticism is about non-coaching issues. If pricks like Stoops and Saban can survive, than Strong should be fine. All comes down to how fast he has success .

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A LOT of Sooner wishful thinking here!!!

UNA Lion

Roar Lions & Roll Tide!
Hoopla Cash
$ 756.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those who don't understand the origin of the LSU Superfreak GIF, here you go:

Last edited by a moderator:

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is a Sooner fan questioning a coach's ability to deal with "boosters" and "media"???

Sure, nobody will ever be as good as Mack Brown in that part of it.
Mack could teach Barack Obama and Mitt Romney both a thing or two about being a politician.

But, a Sooner fan is the last one I would see dwelling on that part of the job.
Bob Stoops might be the absolute worst at it. He is the least fitted to the politician side of the job.
He would get exactly 1 vote (himself) if he ever ran for any political office. He is that bad at it.
Stoops is a surly jerk who hates all that stuff, yet he succeeds as a coach.
Stoops is good coach, so that part should seem somewhat over-rated to the Sooner faithful.

In fact Saban, Stoops, and Meyer have all succeeded despite being icy at best.

Not everyone can be Rick Pitino or Mack Brown with the media, fans, and boosters.
If Strong is merely adequate, he will win everyone over by his W-L record or not.

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can't tell who the worst Sooner troll is these days.

Steelboy84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good luck to Strong. Has a good track record and seems to be a pretty good recruiter.

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6V6RRrulig]Charlie Strong introductory press conference [Jan. 6, 2014] - YouTube[/ame]

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Horns fans in our offices are pretty evenly split between thinking Strong is a good choice and those who have some strong reservations. I'd assume that's the way most Horns fans feel right now. You (naturally) want it to work out but IF it doesn't then you'll have a bigger mess on your hands than you did with Mack. I'm in the camp that doubts he'll be a long term success at Texas but I am the first person to congratulate you guys if you feel happy about the new hire. What we Sooners fans think doesn't matter. What matters is can Charlie Strong beat OU most of the time and consistently win Big XII Championships with the occasional run at a NC. If he doesn't do that you will be howling for his head. We'll see. The guy deserves a couple of years to get things back under control.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been racking my brain trying to think who he looks like and then it dawned on me. He looks a lot like Blake Griffin's dad.

Blake_Griffin_with_parents.jpg

medium.jpg

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless Oklahoma starts to suck we aren't going to beat them "most" of the time. That is an unrealistic expectation that I don't think many of us hold. We just want a team that beats the teams it should most of the time and doesn't choke away conference title after conference title. Winning when we have the better more experienced team when we play OUsucks is a must though. Sometimes Oklahoma will have the better team. When you play a big dog thats just how it is. Blowouts are unforgivable though, Oklahoma should never be so much better than us we can't compete with them.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oklahoma should never be so much better than us we can't compete with them.

Good thing the Horns are 5-4 in the last 9 tries.

It is a marathon and not a sprint.

60-43-5

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good thing the Horns are 5-4 in the last 9 tries.

It is a marathon and not a sprint.

60-43-5

What does your reply have to do with that entire sentence I typed (not just your cut and pasted part)? Do you deny Oklahoma kicked our ass several times with Bob Stoops in charge? I realize losses will happen and I realize Mack did way better against OU then people gave him credit for, but when we lost, we lost big multiple times. Unacceptable for Texas if we are playing up to our potential.

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:clap: Fuck yea Steve Patterson. Already liking this new regime a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Racist Texas booster I'm guessing?

Probably a few of those at every school.

Possible, but mostly he wants to make the decisions and he got told to fuck off this time. First the guy throws Case McCoy under the bus publicly then this. He needs to go in a home or something. Mack coddled he and Jamail so much that they just can't let go of that access they had. I guess Gruden was gonna give it to him too.