• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New York Yankees 2013 Ongoing Thread

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are YOU a real Yankee fan? See if you measure up, using this criteria that I just found.

http://jackdickey.kinja.com/

ku-xlarge.gif

A tipster who has access to these sorts of things passed along a casting call today for an AT&T commercial saluting the fine career of Mariano Rivera. (Mo, if you're reading, we apologize for spoiling the surprise.) The memo explains exactly who is a true Yankee fan, by central casting's lights. They wrote, "We are ONLY looking for REAL YANKEE fans."
So who, exactly, are these "REAL YANKEE fans"?
1. Wall Street types, men and women of all ethnicities, who will be on the stock market floor. Ages 25 -40 mainly, but a couple of great faces in their 50's, the guys who are on the stock exchange floor lifers. GREAT faces, confident.. And REAL Yankee fans!!!!

2 - Blue collar workers, again, only Yankee fans - ages 22-65. All ethnicities, great faces of the working man. Guys who look like hard hat guys, and roofers, and building maintenance guys, construction workers, and elevator repair guys, and a/c repairmen types.

Looking for Real Mechanics that work at a garage. We will come to you!!!!

Looking for a little league team age 12-15 preferable ethnically diverse and we will come to you.

We would like to film the Little League team and Mechanics tomorrow, Saturday or Sunday

3 - Street musicians - all sorts of music and peeps, but really cool- from rockers to string bands, to violins, to accordion players, to something really unique.

4 - College students - 18-24, real. Want only Yankee fans. All types and looks. Great faces and all ethnicities. Would love a bunch of real kids who go to Columbia University so please note that if you go to school there.

5 NYC hip scene. Think Williamsburg to Union Square- all sorts of great hip faces.

6 - Great old guy Chess player types. Think Seymour Cassell meets Scatman Crothers
Yep, that's who roots for the Yankees. Stockbrokers, guys who look like a/c repairmen, street musicians, Ivy Leaguers, ethnically diverse little league teams, and "great old guy Chess player types." Go Yankees.

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL

I guess I wouldn't get cast.

Yanks are a game out of first, and somehow, despite all the injuries, are on pace to win 93 games. The recent 4 game sweep by the Mets notwithstanding, they look to be in pretty good shape heading into the summer months, when they should start to get back some of the big guns. Teixeira and Youkilis back last night-Jeter and Granderson somewhere around the ASB, and a potential boost to the rotation from Pineda (who starts his minor league re-hab in the next week or so).

Said before the season it was anyone's division, and it certainly has played out that way so far. Gonna be a fun summer.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When is A-Fraud returning?

Anyway I'm guessing Phelps is in the rotation for good since Nova was sent down yesterdayy?

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somebody will have to go whenever Pineda's ready, but right now it's CC, Hughes, Kuroda, Pettitte, Phelps

I personally like Phelps better than Nova, so I'm good with it.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So do I but hopefully he doesn't have another stinker like he had against the Mets for the rest of the season.

It was great to see CC return to being the ACE last night

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL

I guess I wouldn't get cast.

Yanks are a game out of first, and somehow, despite all the injuries, are on pace to win 93 games. The recent 4 game sweep by the Mets notwithstanding, they look to be in pretty good shape heading into the summer months, when they should start to get back some of the big guns. Teixeira and Youkilis back last night-Jeter and Granderson somewhere around the ASB, and a potential boost to the rotation from Pineda (who starts his minor league re-hab in the next week or so).

Said before the season it was anyone's division, and it certainly has played out that way so far. Gonna be a fun summer.

Did they send Adams down?

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Mussina called it a career after going 20-9 with a 3.34 ERA in 2008, retiring from baseball with 270 career wins at age 38.
Now he’s 44 and Mussina has a new gig, according to the Williamsport Sun Gazette:
The Montoursville school board on Tuesday night approved the hiring of Mike Mussina as the school’s new head varsity boys basketball coach at its June meeting. Mussina’s hiring passed by an 8-0 vote.
Montoursville high school in Pennsylvania is Mussina’s alma mater, so returning there to coach basketball is pretty cool. He’ll get a $4,170 stipend, which is amusing considering Mussina earned more than $140 million playing baseball. And it’s a tough gig, as the article notes that “the Warriors finished 5-17 this past season and haven’t reached the district playoffs in a non-open format since 2008.”

kjfitz2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doom is coming. No offense and ARod, The Captain and Curtis don't look they will change that dynamic and make this team a run scoring machine. Besides, who wants ARod? Not me.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was 30 years ago today that Yankee outfielder Bobby Murcer retires as an active player ending his 17 year major league career with a .277 lifetime batting average and 252 home runs. The popular outfielder, who also played for the Giants and Cubs, will become a mainstay in the broadcast booth until he succumbs to a brain tumor in 2008.

Always a fan favorite, even after he left as a player.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time to buy a new lid Yankee fans.

You will have to wait for next week, as New Era is putting these out to the public then.

Inside that box was a cap:

On the side of that cap was a Mariano Rivera commemorative patch:

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NEW YORK -- There were still four hours before first pitch, but the Yankee Stadium crowd had already been whipped into a frenzy. Fans all over the stadium were on their feet, holding out baseballs in hopes of getting autographs and trying to get their favorite players' attention.
But they weren't yelling "Derek," "CC" or "Robinson." Instead it was choruses of "Bucky," "Bernie," "O'Neill" and "Rickey."
Sunday was Old-Timers Day in the Bronx, and for the 67th year, Yankees legends gathered to see old friends, play a little baseball and be recognized in front of the fans who adored them during their playing days.
"I love it. It's one of my favorite days," said manager Joe Girardi, who participates in the festivities as a former player. "It's special, and what these guys have meant to the New York Yankees organization, being able to play alongside some of them, it's been great."
A long list of Old-Timers had their names called by announcers Michael Kay and John Sterling, each of them walking onto the field to sometimes thunderous applause. Longtime participants Lou Piniella, Mickey Rivers, Don Larsen, Bucky Dent, Rickey Henderson, Lee Mazzilli, Joe Pepitone, Willie Randolph, David Wells, Jeff Nelson, Reggie Jackson and Ron Guidry were all in attendance.
Yogi Berra and Whitey Ford were also there, riding in on a golf cart from center field to a standing ovation.
The loudest ovation, though, was for fan-favorite Bernie Williams.
"I think it's all about the introduction," Williams said. "Just knowing the level of admiration and affection and love that the Yankees fans have for players that have played before. It's great to be remembered."
There were also newcomers. Orlando Hernandez, John Flaherty, Andy Phillips, Brian Dorsett, Scott Kamieniecki and Todd Greene all made their first appearances as Old-Timers. The Yankees also brought back longtime trainer Gene Monahan, who retired last season.
"I haven't thrown a baseball in anger in over a year, so for me, it's exciting putting the uniform on," Flaherty said. "The experience of growing up in New York, coming back, playing for the Yankees and now being on the field for Old-Timers day, it's pretty surreal."
Flaherty was one of a group of Old-Timers who are still around the organization on a daily basis, as he, Paul O'Neill and David Cone are all YES Network broadcasters.
"It's the first day in, probably, my life that I feel more comfortable in a suit and tie up in the booth than I do in a uniform down on the field," O'Neill said. "It's always fun to come here, the fans are great. It seems to always be 95 degrees and humid and hot, and it brings back a lot of memories."
O'Neill looked pretty comfortable during batting practice, though, launching at least one ball into the right-field seats.
"You actually get little butterflies going, because O'Neill's taking batting practice, and you know he wants to take me deep," Cone said. "I've got to get my arm loose."
O'Neill wasn't quite able to hit a home run during the game, but he did launch a ball off the top of the wall for a long single in the first inning. Cone called that inning a "once-in-a-lifetime opportunity," as he entered the game to relieve Wells with O'Neill on second base and Williams at the plate.
That was just one of the enjoyable moments of the five-inning Old-Timers Day game, in which the Bombers beat the Clippers, 2-1. In the third inning, Dent hit a hard double past the third-base bag, Flaherty hit a double over Steve Balboni's head in center field and Henderson hit a two-run single.
Pat Kelly nearly drove in a run in the same inning, but first-timer Greene made an over-the-shoulder catch on the warning track in left field, and then celebrated his grab by chest-bumping a member of the Rays playing catch in the outfield.
El Duque pitched two innings in his first Old-Timers Day appearance, and he even played an inning at shortstop, to the delight of the fans.
"I'm happy. I think this is a great moment, a great memory," Hernandez said. "I feel great again. I enjoy the time."
Hernandez was laughing and joking with many of his former teammates before the game, including closer Mariano Rivera, who spent time on the field talking with many of the Old-Timers.
But even though this is the final season of Rivera's illustrious career, he's not ready to call himself an Old-Timer just yet.
"There's no comparison," Rivera said. "That's priceless. There's nothing like that. When you wear the New York Yankees pinstripes and come to Yankee Stadium -- the legacy alone, the name alone, means so much."
Overall, it was yet again a special day in the Bronx. Inviting players from the past back to Yankee Stadium is a great tradition, and every former Yankee in attendance agreed.
"It's the Yankees. That's enough said, right there," Charlie Hayes said. "To get to come back and see a lot of the guys that you played with -- I was a big fan of a lot of these guys that played before me -- I look forward to it every day leading up to this. It's very exciting."
"We have some great friendships here," Roy White said. "There's some special friendships you have in baseball, and I think they have a lot of meaning to them. I'm glad to have the opportunity to know some of these guys that I played with."
"I've been with this organization since 1958, and I'm still with them, still alive. I think it's keeping me alive, these Old-Timers games. I've been playing them since 1973," Pepitone said. "All these guys, you see them, and I look in the mirror and I say, 'Do I look as old as them?' And then I see I do."
"I played my first Old-Timers Game when I was 31 years old," Bobby Richardson said. "I'm 77 now, [will] be 78 in August, and it's still a thrill."
"The game is the same," Rivers said. "It's always been the same. Only thing you've got to do is the basics. The basics never change."
"I'm just happy to be a part of it, because it's a great thing," Henderson said. "I think most ball teams should be doing it -- bringing back the players that played for them and did so much for them, just to see how they feel and have some fun with them. I'm just proud that the Yankees are one of the clubs that can do that."
"It's wonderful putting on the uniform again. It really is," Piniella said. "I had a lot of great moments here, made a lot of friends. New York is a wonderful city to play in."
"It never gets old," Dent said. "I'm getting old, but this doesn't."

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nearly two years after the Yankees traded for him Michael Pineda is finally getting close to making his Yankees debut.
Pineda threw six shutout innings at Double-A yesterday in his third minor-league rehab start, striking out four and walking two while allowing two hits. He now has a 1.64 ERA, 11/4 K/BB ratio, and .164 opponents’ batting average in 14.1 rehab innings while coming back from 2012 shoulder surgery.
Pineda threw 78 pitches and several eye-witness accounts had him working in the low-90s with his fastball and topping out in the mid-90s. So not quite the overpowering velocity he had before the injury, but very encouraging progress for the 24-year-old right-hander who thrived as a rookie with the Mariners in 2011.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The twins is just what the doctor ordered for the yanks

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 in a row.

Complete the sweep tomorrow then win at least 2 of 3 vs Baltimore

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 in a row.

Complete the sweep tomorrow then win at least 2 of 3 vs Baltimore

It has been nice to watch them almost match their wins from the last 3 weeks in this series. But it has been Minnesota who we have owned for 10 years now.

Derek Jeter

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
We've won 70 out of 93 games with Minny ever since Gardy took over for the Twins.