• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New Turco Rumor

anderwho2513

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Step 1: Turco sucks.
Step 2: Save the money.
Step 3: Make a run at Bryzgalov at the deadline when Phoenix realizes they overachieved bigtime last year and need to get something for him before he walks in the offseason.
Step 4: Plan the parade.

shutout0027

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
exactly. BRYZGALOV is the guy that makes this team a top team. If we can shed some salary and then have wiggle room to get a guy like this, then we are real scary.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get me wrong, I am not convinced about Turco either. The only reason this thread is here is that I heard that the Flyers were still interested in him and were trying to clear enough space to sign both he and Zherdev. They did get Zherdev relatively cheap so Turco could fit under the cap. Since someone has to be trade to get back under the cap, I would lien towards resigning Carcillo and Powe and then finding an aging Winger (Guerin) in the $1.0-1.3 range. Play him with JRV and Giroux and he adds toughness and the ability to score.

anderwho2513

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think PHX would even consider Bryzy in a trade. They are legitimate contenders and getting stronger. Why give away your strongest piece?

What makes them legitimate contenders? The amazing defense with Keith Yandle and an aging Jovo Cop? Their top notch offense led by Scottie Upshall? They don't have anything resembling a top 6 centerman, and their defense is mostly serviceable 3-4 guys, which worsened with the departure of Michalek. Bryzgalov carried the team all year long, and their next best player was probably Bettman. Oh no he didn't just go there! *z-snap*

If Bryzgalov stumbles even a little, they are right back to where they belong: sellers at the deadline.

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
did you see them in the playoffs. that team is fast. they are really good. and they did that without upshall. and pretty much without doan as well.

nolesfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Turco is the best goalie the team can afford, it's just that simple.

soulxflare

Arrive. Raise Hell. Leave.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Turco is the best goalie the team can afford, it's just that simple.

Seriously? He's only a slight upgrade (at best) from what we have now. If that is the biggest upgrade we can afford, then we're pathetic.

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
there are no other goalies on the market. how is that pathetic? we have a top 10 offense and possibly the best defense. you can not have the best goalie also.

teams since the lockout have proven a great team with an average goalie is better than an average team with a great goalie.

soulxflare

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there are no other goalies on the market. how is that pathetic? we have a top 10 offense and possibly the best defense. you can not have the best goalie also.

teams since the lockout have proven a great team with an average goalie is better than an average team with a great goalie.

Because if there is a fair upgrade at forward out there for that $2M -- that is smarter than a lateral move between the pipes.

soulxflare

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why did you quote me. that has nothing to do with what i said.

You questioned why I called an "upgrade" from Leights to Turco pathetic. I just wanted to clarify that I used pathetic in the sense that we could put that $2 - $2.5M to much better use than paying another mediocre goaltender.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't necessarily like the idea of signing Turco either, but you would figure that he probably is a slight upgrade over Leighton if only due to his experience alone.

I would however like to see whether Leighton can continue his incredible ride here. I know he got pulled a couple times and did not get the loss, but you can't argue with a 24-8-2 record as a Flyer. That is impressive no matter how you look at it. If Leighton were to start just 65 games next season and stay around that win percentage, we'd win 50+ games and the President's Trophy.

So, if you believe in Leighton, don't even bother with Turco. I tend to believe in Leighton. You just can't argue with his results. We may have even won game one of the finals if he hadn't been pulled and then we're potentially the champs right now.

shutout0027

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Turco is not an upgrade over Leighton end of story. Mabye a young Turco but this guy is trending downward not up. Think about it, there are teams that have worse goalie situations than us...why havent they broken the bank for this guy if he is so good? Save the money and for once have some space at the deadline. Instead of losing a player like upshall at the deadline, space could ensure we keep our players and improve at any position if need be. Leights is the guy until he proves he cant be. I think he proved enough last year to warrant giving him a shot, especially when there is no one on the market that is heads and shoulders better than him. Basically i believe in Leighton more than Turco or any one else that is out there right now.

soulxflare

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't necessarily like the idea of signing Turco either, but you would figure that he probably is a slight upgrade over Leighton if only due to his experience alone.

I would however like to see whether Leighton can continue his incredible ride here. I know he got pulled a couple times and did not get the loss, but you can't argue with a 24-8-2 record as a Flyer. That is impressive no matter how you look at it. If Leighton were to start just 65 games next season and stay around that win percentage, we'd win 50+ games and the President's Trophy.

So, if you believe in Leighton, don't even bother with Turco. I tend to believe in Leighton. You just can't argue with his results. We may have even won game one of the finals if he hadn't been pulled and then we're potentially the champs right now.

I couldn't agree more -- let's also not forget that Halak was pulled twice in the playoffs as well.

It makes (cost-wise) no sense to bring in Turco unless Leighton is being traded. Even then, he is going to cost at least $500,000 more than Leighton. You need to ask yourself if this team is better with Leighton and $500k+ in cap space to spend elsewhere, or with Turco. In my opinion, it's pretty clear cut that I'd rather have Leights and the extra cash.

soulxflare

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Turco is not an upgrade over Leighton end of story. Mabye a young Turco but this guy is trending downward not up. Think about it, there are teams that have worse goalie situations than us...why havent they broken the bank for this guy if he is so good? Save the money and for once have some space at the deadline. Instead of losing a player like upshall at the deadline, space could ensure we keep our players and improve at any position if need be. Leights is the guy until he proves he cant be. I think he proved enough last year to warrant giving him a shot, especially when there is no one on the market that is heads and shoulders better than him. Basically i believe in Leighton more than Turco or any one else that is out there right now.

This is precisely what I've been saying since this whole Turco/Ellis goalie nonsense started.

nolesfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You guys do realize Leighton played behind the Flyers defense last year right? That alone makes him look better than he actually is. Turco was better behind a much worse defense. Put Turco behind the Flyers defense and he would look great.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why I am leaning towards Guerin ($1-1.3) and cap space vs. Turco and no space. I have no idea if he would want to sign with the Flyers, but the Pens really seem to have no interest.