• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New to Concealed Carry

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.....continued

Also, if you do get a Ruger SP101, I would consider getting some sweet grip inserts from a company such as LS Grips or Chig's Grips:

Ruger Sp101 – LS Grips

Chig's Grips | Ruger SP101 & GP100 Grip Panels. Ruger Grips

Or, perhaps even skip getting the inserts and instead get completely new grips from Badger Custom Grips:

Badger Custom Grips-Badger Custom Grips
Custom-Tune« Spring Kit | Ruger GP-100-https://shopwilsoncombat.com/

I think I’m going to do it tbh. I might not conceal carry but it just seems like a better option for me. I really like Hickok45’s videos and even he seems to be more dead on accurate with that than the other options even if he seems to hate the .357 cartridges.

I’ll think about the grips. I just don’t want to look like a pimp in a New Orleans whore house.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Custom-Tune« Spring Kit | Ruger GP-100-https://shopwilsoncombat.com/

I think I’m going to do it tbh. I might not conceal carry but it just seems like a better option for me. I really like Hickok45’s videos and even he seems to be more dead on accurate with that than the other options even if he seems to hate the .357 cartridges.

I’ll think about the grips. I just don’t want to look like a pimp in a New Orleans whore house.

The Ruger GP100 trigger kit you linked to (I dunno if you meant to link to the SP101 kit and accidentally linked to the GP100) is for a big beefy 6-shot revolver, not really a concealed carry gun like the Ruger SP101, but the Ruger GP100 is built like a tank and has an awesome reputation as a top-notch heavy duty revolver.

Be careful of trigger kits and trigger jobs on revolvers. Sure, those reduced power springs make the trigger smoother and lighter, however, you are increasing your chances of light primer strikes. Trigger jobs are primarily marketed/targeted for competition guns where you want to have the smoothest action possible to increase your scores/accuracy... but I would stay away from trigger jobs on revolvers dedicated to home/personal defense. Pulling the trigger and hearing a click instead of a bang (due to a light primer strike caused by a reduced power spring) in a defense scenario would be very very bad.

Also....IMO, stainless steel revolvers look best with wood grips, particularly rosewood/rosewood laminate. Hogue offers nice wood grips for the Ruger GP100 and SP101.

Ruger Grips - Handgun Grips - Hogue Products

So.... are you looking at a carry revolver: Ruger SP101... or a beefy home defense revolver: Ruger GP100? They are both time proven revolvers with great reputations.

Last edited:

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Ruger GP100 trigger kit you linked to (I dunno if you meant to link to the SP101 kit and accidentally linked to the GP100) is for a big beefy 6-shot revolver, not really a concealed carry gun like the Ruger SP101, but the Ruger GP100 is built like a tank and has an awesome reputation as a top-notch heavy duty revolver.

Be careful of trigger kits and trigger jobs on revolvers. Sure, those reduced power springs make the trigger smoother and lighter, however, you are increasing your chances of light primer strikes. Trigger jobs are primarily marketed/targeted for competition guns where you want to have the smoothest action possible to increase your scores/accuracy... but I would stay away from trigger jobs on revolvers dedicated to home/personal defense. Pulling the trigger and hearing a click instead of a bang (due to a light primer strike caused by a reduced power spring) in a defense scenario would be very very bad.

Also....IMO, stainless steel revolvers look best with wood grips, particularly rosewood/rosewood laminate. Hogue offers nice wood grips for the Ruger GP100 and SP101.

Ruger Grips - Handgun Grips - Hogue Products

So.... are you looking at a carry revolver: Ruger SP101... or a beefy home defense revolver: Ruger GP100? They are both time proven revolvers with great reputations.
Sorry.

Custom-Tune« Spring Kit | Ruger SP101-https://shopwilsoncombat.com/

There is the SP101 kit. I think it would be nice to have a smoother pull as these tend to have high poundage for their pulls. I think it’s more personal preference.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah, those no finger groove ones look nice but I think I'd have to feel it in person to want to buy one. Some of the finger grooved ones aren't always comfortable for my hands.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you think about the Ruger SP101? Bigger load, heavier, and loads 5.

I have the SP101 4.2" and it's a great gun. Definitely need new grips though. The stock ones are nice looking but they're very small. I went with the Hogue rubber grip and it's great.