• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New terminology this year

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have watched football for for 35 yrs and really never heard this terminology. Last yr it was 11 personell , 12 personell, etc. After the season- I started hearing 1 technique and 3 technique for Dlinemen. This year its Run Fits. I have heard Moose announce at least 40 games over the yrs and then last night said the words- run fits. Reporters have written about it this yr and I have heard it mentioned in press conferences. These are 3 examples over the past year and Im sure these things have been around - but isnt it relatively new for broadcasters and analysts to say this or did Madden and Summerall really just suck

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
best I can figure its just a "new" name for filling the gap in a 4-3 defense by positioning the players a specific way

If Im wrong somebody please educate me :)

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think these terms or whatever have been around for a long time probably. Im thinking it may just be a new way of broadcasting the game in which the analyst is trying more or harder to explain the game instead of just commenting on what he sees.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think these terms or whatever have been around for a long time probably. Im thinking it may just be a new way of broadcasting the game in which the analyst is trying more or harder to explain the game instead of just commenting on what he sees.

I think colors nailed it. The game hasn't changed as much as the terminology. That terminology came from coaches and scouts. No way from a analyst, who have all the access but don't know anymore than the average football fan. Former players (great or not) don't always make good football coaches or football analyst. Dazzle with brilliance or baffle when with bull shit is in more places than you think

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I swear I have heard run fits 10 times in the last month and Im not sure I have ever heard it before.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think colors nailed it. The game hasn't changed as much as the terminology. That terminology came from coaches and scouts. No way from a analyst, who have all the access but don't know anymore than the average football fan. Former players (great or not) don't always make good football coaches or football analyst. Dazzle with brilliance or baffle when with bull shit is in more places than you think

I dont think you will hear it from Aikman, but back when Millen was commentating a lot- I could see him saying this. He use to try to explain it and more times than not he made more sense than just the emphatic BOOM from Madden and the telestrater.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think you will hear it from Aikman, but back when Millen was commentating a lot- I could see him saying this. He use to try to explain it and more times than not he made more sense than just the emphatic BOOM from Madden and the telestrater.

well...back in the day with telestrater and all....BOOM did it justice. It's still about numbers one side or the other in the run game. BOOM usually came when the offense had numbers and boom applied more often than not.

It's clear it's football season. It's early but you seem in midseason form. Let's try hard not to over think this too much and just see where this season goes. :suds:

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah, its no big deal to me just new thats all.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh and its not just the announcers- its like you said the coaches as well. You are from a football background- did you use this terminology- 11 personell, 3 techniques, run fits??

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's clear it's football season. It's early but you seem in midseason form. Let's try hard not to over think this too much and just see where this season goes.

Can someone help me with this??? What am I over thinking ?? Midseason form??

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they use new terms to spice things up a bit and sound smarter or be different but like Lombardi said all those years ago... Football is a simple game made up of two things...blocking and tackling!

Personally talk A or B gap responsibilities or run splits all they want all I would care about is did they make they make the play or were they in the right position.