• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New offensive coaching staff

flclfanman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously this Lazor guy better be WTF amazing this year or this will all but confirm Nagy's head is too big for Halas Hall.

It's impressive to be this god-awful on Offense with this much Talent.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously this Lazor guy better be WTF amazing this year or this will all but confirm Nagy's head is too big for Halas Hall.

It's impressive to be this god-awful on Offense with this much Talent.

Having a backup quality QB and a line that can't run block isn't exactly what I would call an abundance of talent. That's sort of the entire run and pass game being wiped out for you. Not to mention, our TE situation this past year.

I think Robinson and Miller could be a helluva duo in a good environment. But with Mitch at QB. It's a moot point. Unless he has some sort of spiritual awakening and morphs into what we all hoped he would be. Not sure how anyone could have faith in that prospect, though.

I like the Lazor hire enough. A guy with the pedigree of Shurmur was never coming here to play second fiddle and have no play calling powers. Lazor had some success in Cincinnati before they got destroyed by injuries in 2018.

Under Nagy, the OC's job is to basically install the game plan during the week and then Nagy takes the ball to run with it on game day. We'll see how much of an impact Lazor can have in doing that. Maybe Helfrich really did suck. We shall see...

flclfanman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having a backup quality QB and a line that can't run block isn't exactly what I would call an abundance of talent. That's sort of the entire run and pass game being wiped out for you. Not to mention, our TE situation this past year.

I think Robinson and Miller could be a helluva duo in a good environment. But with Mitch at QB. It's a moot point. Unless he has some sort of spiritual awakening and morphs into what we all hoped he would be. Not sure how anyone could have faith in that prospect, though.

I like the Lazor hire enough. A guy with the pedigree of Shurmur was never coming here to play second fiddle and have no play calling powers. Lazor had some success in Cincinnati before they got destroyed by injuries in 2018.

Under Nagy, the OC's job is to basically install the game plan during the week and then Nagy takes the ball to run with it on game day. We'll see how much of an impact Lazor can have in doing that. Maybe Helfrich really did suck. We shall see...

I'm sure how far I'd go with that excuse. We've had garbage O-line play; sure, but we did get results when Nagy changed scheme looks (I-from, offset I, Power,etc.) with Success. Mont had 2 100+ yard games despite being basically ignored for close to half the season. Problem is Nagy went back to Guru mode and gave us a healthy diet of bubble screens, end-arounds, and jet sweeps.

It was almost like Nagy was trolling us- "Hey guys ho bout we play like dogshit in the first half, roll out a nice looking TD drive at the start of the 3rd Quarter and fall apart in the 4th?"

I am more than willing to give Lazor and Castillo a chance. In fact, I hope they prove me wrong and I eat crow all next year, but this feels underwhelming.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure how far I'd go with that excuse. We've had garbage O-line play; sure, but we did get results when Nagy changed scheme looks (I-from, offset I, Power,etc.) with Success. Mont had 2 100+ yard games despite being basically ignored for close to half the season. Problem is Nagy went back to Guru mode and gave us a healthy diet of bubble screens, end-arounds, and jet sweeps.

It was almost like Nagy was trolling us- "Hey guys ho bout we play like dogshit in the first half, roll out a nice looking TD drive at the start of the 3rd Quarter and fall apart in the 4th?"

I am more than willing to give Lazor and Castillo a chance. In fact, I hope they prove me wrong and I eat crow all next year, but this feels underwhelming.

Who did we have success against? The Chargers backups? Minnesota's backups? I think the Chargers D was 32nd against the run at the point we played them before getting a bit healthy for the 2nd half. They were missing Heyward, Jones and Tillery all just on the D-line when we saw them. Then, I don't think I have to elaborate much further on Minnesota rolling out their benchwarmers and practice squad guys in Week 17. That was obvious.

Montgomery had the same amount of carries as Josh Jacobs. 8 less than Dalvin Cook. 6 more than Aaron Jones. 40 more than Mark Ingram. This whole narrative about how we "refused" to run Montgomery is just not correct.

I mean, when did we see results in the run game? I can't find it. An NFL team plays 16 games. We seemed to have 3-ish games with legitimate success on the ground (I'll throw Dallas in there). That's pretty much garbage.

Where's this talent at? Our line was trash and I don't see how anyone could argue that. Leno? Lucas? Ha... Pitiful. Our TE's probably had their own medical ward by the end of the season. Our QB is a disaster and a laughingstock/punchline to the rest of the league.

flclfanman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who did we have success against? The Chargers backups? Minnesota's backups? I think the Chargers D was 32nd against the run at the point we played them before getting a bit healthy for the 2nd half. They were missing Heyward, Jones and Tillery all just on the D-line when we saw them. Then, I don't think I have to elaborate much further on Minnesota rolling out their benchwarmers and practice squad guys in Week 17. That was obvious.

Montgomery had the same amount of carries as Josh Jacobs. 8 less than Dalvin Cook. 6 more than Aaron Jones. 40 more than Mark Ingram. This whole narrative about how we "refused" to run Montgomery is just not correct.

I mean, when did we see results in the run game? I can't find it. An NFL team plays 16 games. We seemed to have 3-ish games with legitimate success on the ground (I'll throw Dallas in there). That's pretty much garbage.

Where's this talent at? Our line was trash and I don't see how anyone could argue that. Leno? Lucas? Ha... Pitiful. Our TE's probably had their own medical ward by the end of the season. Our QB is a disaster and a laughingstock/punchline to the rest of the league.

There were only 3 games where he got over 20+ carries. And while he did get more touches after his "breakout" via the Chargers, Nagy was wildly inconsistent with his usage of him.

Like I said earlier, we tended to have inconsistent success in games; normally waiting until the second half in games to get going offensively (vs. the Chargers, Eagles, Rams, etc.)

I honestly think our personnell is very talented:
ARob is clearly amazing
Miller looks like a legit WR2 despite Nagy's stupidity leading to him getting hurt;
Montgomery was already mentioned,
Cohen is a very talented player that I think Nagy is clearly misusing him (should not be lining up in the backfield and should be used more in the slot)
Ridley could be decent, but he needs more reps

I agree with you what O-line (namely the overpaid tackles) were a disaster and out TEs were no-shows

However, like others have said, Nagy's playcalls don't always fit what his players can do (i.e. the line shows a clear inabilty to zone run-block vs. some success running out of I, yet Nagy continues to call zone run block plays).

If I'm right, most of this same core of players on offense (the QB being the biggest question mark) should play better behind better play execution.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John DeFillipo is in as the QBs coach. Dave Ragone has been promoted to passing game coordinator. I like the move to bring him in. His work in philly as a QB coach was so good, it got him a head coaching position. Maybe he can do something with Trubisky.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were only 3 games where he got over 20+ carries. And while he did get more touches after his "breakout" via the Chargers, Nagy was wildly inconsistent with his usage of him.

Like I said earlier, we tended to have inconsistent success in games; normally waiting until the second half in games to get going offensively (vs. the Chargers, Eagles, Rams, etc.)

I honestly think our personnell is very talented:
ARob is clearly amazing
Miller looks like a legit WR2 despite Nagy's stupidity leading to him getting hurt;
Montgomery was already mentioned,
Cohen is a very talented player that I think Nagy is clearly misusing him (should not be lining up in the backfield and should be used more in the slot)
Ridley could be decent, but he needs more reps

I agree with you what O-line (namely the overpaid tackles) were a disaster and out TEs were no-shows

However, like others have said, Nagy's playcalls don't always fit what his players can do (i.e. the line shows a clear inabilty to zone run-block vs. some success running out of I, yet Nagy continues to call zone run block plays).

If I'm right, most of this same core of players on offense (the QB being the biggest question mark) should play better behind better play execution.

I like our receivers, a lot. My point of contention there is that it doesn't matter how good they are if Mitch is going to play like a fringe backup/starter.

There were only 3 games where he got over 20+ carries

I mean, well... first off. He hasn't earned feature back status. Secondly, I don't know precisely how many backs in the league get 20+ carries regularly. I think that list is rather small. I do know that there were a number of games where he got 15ish+ carries.

Especially when you go 8-8 and trail 11 games in the 4th quarter. It's not going to happen a lot. He also only averaged 3.7 YPC. It was an efficient option to just feed him. Why? For the sake of doing it?

Also, saying we ever got going vs the Rams seems a bit silly. We scored 7 points. We had one drive. In those three games we scored 7, 14 and 16. "Getting going" really just means "we had a drive or two".

Per Cohen, we seemed to use him the same in 2018 and it worked pretty damn well. 4.7 YPT and 4.5 YPC. Which, to me, goes back to "our line can't/couldn't run block for shit".

So, I mean... I still circle back to "our QB indisputably sucked". "Our RB's were typically contacted in the backfield or at the LOS". Therefore, you have no pass game and no run game.

It doesn't matter how talented your skill players are in this instance.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John DeFillipo is in as the QBs coach. Dave Ragone has been promoted to passing game coordinator. I like the move to bring him in. His work in philly as a QB coach was so good, it got him a head coaching position. Maybe he can do something with Trubisky.
I like it too.
Nice to see the Bears are bringing in guys with experience in Lazor and DeFillipo instead of surrounding himself with inexperienced "yes" men.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the DeFillipo hire.

Tough to talk up Lazor's resume', but whatevs.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the DeFillipo hire.

Tough to talk up Lazor's resume', but whatevs.
Agreed. But some coaches do learn from their past. What worked. What didnt. Even Lazor in Nagy's ear could be the voice of reason; something that wasnt there in 2019.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. But some coaches do learn from their past. What worked. What didnt. Even Lazor in Nagy's ear could be the voice of reason; something that wasnt there in 2019.
I hope so. Seems like a peon, yes-man to me??

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope so. Seems like a peon, yes-man to me??
Well, maybe the previous coaching staff got canned because no one had the guts to tell Nagy it was the 4th quarter and you only ran the ball 4 times.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Pace does not fix the O line, none of this will matter. Bad run blocking, you can't run the ball. Bad pass blocking, leno, you can't pass the ball.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Pace does not fix the O line, none of this will matter. Bad run blocking, you can't run the ball. Bad pass blocking, leno, you can't pass the ball.
And you can't get a better example of great run blocking than how the Niners OL mauled the Packers D.