• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Neftali Feliz

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
expectations? role? predictions?

This year and next

This year, hopefully get into a live ML action for at least a couple games out of the bullpen, garbage innings for sure, but I wouldn't trust him in the playoffs

Next year, bullpen, maybe eventually the set up man for Soria, b/c nathan's option won't be picked up

pegasusredleg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
expectations? role? predictions?

This year and next

This year, hopefully get into a live ML action for at least a couple games out of the bullpen, garbage innings for sure, but I wouldn't trust him in the playoffs

Next year, bullpen, maybe eventually the set up man for Soria, b/c nathan's option won't be picked up

First thanks for creating a new thread.

On Feliz? I think the talent is there. We will see how he rebounds from TJ surgery. Most pitchers take 18 months to get back to close to their old form. Feliz is young so may be sooner. But I agree with one poster who said we do not need a hard throwing pitcher with marginal control back even in our BP. Sure give him some garbage game time in September, especially if we lock up a playoff spot prior to the end of the season. But I think our BP is set now. It is solid.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if the organization still believes he has the stuff to be a starter. I wouldn't expect squat this season. And I wouldn't expect him to be much of a factor for most of next season but he should progress as time goes on. He's definitely a crapshoot tho especially given on what role he's projected by the FO.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always hoped for a potential starter, but I think that time is slowly slipping away, I think he could still get you a couple WAR coming out of the bullpen if his stuff is dominant again and he is able to regain his command quickly

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always hoped for a potential starter, but I think that time is slowly slipping away, I think he could still get you a couple WAR coming out of the bullpen if his stuff is dominant again and he is able to regain his command quickly

I think JD said it best a few years ago that yes despite his greatness and value in the pen, a kid that is young like him and with the stuff he has, you owe it yourself, himself and the organization to see if he can transform into a good to upper tier starter because you can always find bullpen guys. So I think there might still be the hope and thought of seeing what he can do as a full time healthy starter.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't expect much out of him this year.

I also don't expect much out of him as a starter, unless he totally changes his approach to pitching and can learn two more viable pitches.

I would like to see him in the bull pen and regain confidence. He's gotten worse as a pitcher every year he's been in the league. I hope he can curb that regression, and plateau and find his role.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't expect much out of him this year.

I also don't expect much out of him as a starter, unless he totally changes his approach to pitching and can learn two more viable pitches.

I would like to see him in the bull pen and regain confidence. He's gotten worse as a pitcher every year he's been in the league. I hope he can curb that regression, and plateau and find his role.

He was doing well as a starter before going down :duck:

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was doing well as a starter before going down :duck:
Check his peripherals and get back to me. His BB/9 rate was not good at all, and his ERA should have been much higher. That's not sustainable success.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Check his peripherals and get back to me. His BB/9 rate was not good at all, and his ERA should have been much higher. That's not sustainable success.

Doesn't mean those numbers can't or wouldn't improve. He was/is still a young pitcher learning his craft to be a starter in the bigs after being a closer for 2.5 years.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He had a nice K/9 also. But he wasn't gonna light the world on fire right away. He was getting better with each start

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't mean those numbers can't or wouldn't improve. He was/is still a young pitcher learning his craft to be a starter in the bigs after being a closer for 2.5 years.
Until he develops better secondary pitches, it's a pointless debate. You cannot get major league hitters out with only a fastball for 6-7 innings a game. You need something else. Neftali didn't have a reliable enough secondary pitch.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until he develops better secondary pitches, it's a pointless debate. You cannot get major league hitters out with only a fastball for 6-7 innings a game. You need something else. Neftali didn't have a reliable enough secondary pitch.

True I agree there.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well he was mixing in a slider curve and change I think

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not like Ogando has a devasting breaking pitches
He found a change up this year that served him quite well at times. As it stands I think Ogando is the more complete pitcher at the moment. Neftali obviously has more potential because of age and max velocity though. Just has to put the work in.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think JD said it best a few years ago that yes despite his greatness and value in the pen, a kid that is young like him and with the stuff he has, you owe it yourself, himself and the organization to see if he can transform into a good to upper tier starter because you can always find bullpen guys. So I think there might still be the hope and thought of seeing what he can do as a full time healthy starter.

I agreed and was always an advocate of that, I just don't think he has it in him long term, and nobody wanted it more than I

He might get another shot, but I doubt its next year

whittler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feliz has said he wanted to stay in the pen. ID wanted him to start. If his heart ain't in it , you can't fprce it.
Starters require a Lot more motivation, dedication and work ethic. Feliz ???

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't think Feliz has the required mental fortitude to pitch for long stretches, he too often resorts back to his heat slinging urges

And I'll say it again, no one pushed for, wanted or defended his ability to start from the beginning,

One of the biggest mistakes they made with him was putting him in the bullpen to begin with, at least for as long as they did

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feliz has said he wanted to stay in the pen. ID wanted him to start. If his heart ain't in it , you can't fprce it.
Starters require a Lot more motivation, dedication and work ethic. Feliz ???

He said that recently?