• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nebraska @ Minnesota Week

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually like Nebraska in this game. IF they run the damn ball, break even on turnovers, and clean up the penalties to 40 yds or so. That gives them 5 false starts and one PI, two PI's and two false starts, whatever.

It's week 7, on top of the full spring and fall. Things are evident regarding what this team does well and what it does poorly. These coaches are 'supposed' to be seasoned veterans. I'd expected an improvement by now, but maybe this is the week.

It's time for this staff to call a winnable game plan. That means playing Big 10 ball. You know...The ingredient that has defined the Big 10 since forever?

Put the left coast stuff in the dumpster for this one game. Let this team win a winnable game for morale. It will do wonders for them going into Northwestern at home where they'll need a virtually identical game-plan.

These guys are supposed to be offensive minds. They ought to be able watch film and dissect an opponents defense. They're responsible to game-plan to exploit their opponent's (while acknowledge their own) weakness within 6 days.
In all reality, they should be able to acknowledge their own weaknesses after the first few weeks. It's what separates the widely successful coach from the average. Attention to detail.

All I ask is, (at the very minimum) look at Minnesota's stats. These stats say "Don't spend the afternoon trying to throw on them". Their pass defense is #15 (yds allowed) and #9 (pass efficiency). They don't give up a lot through the air.
To add to that....
1) The chances of turnovers rise significantly when the ball is in the air. Turnovers lose games. Not only because it's common sense that there's not even a hand on the ball for it's entire duration, but also because Tommy has to force throws because he's running for his life.
2) The chances of (10 yd from the spot of the foul) holding penalties rises significantly. I.E. 3rd and 5 is now 3rd and 15.

To sum it up......The left coast stuff works in Pasadena on Jan 1st where the PAC is 45-29 in Rose Bowls. It's a great environment to sling it around. However, it doesn't work across the Plains or the Midwest in Oct/Nov. To beat Big 10 teams (I.E. WIN tBig 10) you have to play Big 10 style smash-mouth. No different than the old Big 8. It is a MUST.

I hate to say this, but at least Bopleeny (in his infinite dumbfuckery) knew that.

Am I too simpleminded?

:comeatmebro:

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Riley chose to have the wind at his back in the 3rd quarter in both the Illinois and Wisconsin games. He wanted the opponents to have the wind at their back in the 4th quarter.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually like Nebraska in this game. IF they run the damn ball, break even on turnovers, and clean up the penalties to 40 yds or so. That gives them 5 false starts and one PI, two PI's and two false starts, whatever.

It's week 7, on top of the full spring and fall. Things are evident regarding what this team does well and what it does poorly. These coaches are 'supposed' to be seasoned veterans. I'd expected an improvement by now, but maybe this is the week.

It's time for this staff to call a winnable game plan. That means playing Big 10 ball. You know...The ingredient that has defined the Big 10 since forever?

Put the left coast stuff in the dumpster for this one game. Let this team win a winnable game for morale. It will do wonders for them going into Northwestern at home where they'll need a virtually identical game-plan.

These guys are supposed to be offensive minds. They ought to be able watch film and dissect an opponents defense. They're responsible to game-plan to exploit their opponent's (while acknowledge their own) weakness within 6 days.
In all reality, they should be able to acknowledge their own weaknesses after the first few weeks. It's what separates the widely successful coach from the average. Attention to detail.

All I ask is, (at the very minimum) look at Minnesota's stats. These stats say "Don't spend the afternoon trying to throw on them". Their pass defense is #15 (yds allowed) and #9 (pass efficiency). They don't give up a lot through the air.
To add to that....
1) The chances of turnovers rise significantly when the ball is in the air. Turnovers lose games. Not only because it's common sense that there's not even a hand on the ball for it's entire duration, but also because Tommy has to force throws because he's running for his life.
2) The chances of (10 yd from the spot of the foul) holding penalties rises significantly. I.E. 3rd and 5 is now 3rd and 15.

To sum it up......The left coast stuff works in Pasadena on Jan 1st where the PAC is 45-29 in Rose Bowls. It's a great environment to sling it around. However, it doesn't work across the Plains or the Midwest in Oct/Nov. To beat Big 10 teams (I.E. WIN tBig 10) you have to play Big 10 style smash-mouth. No different than the old Big 8. It is a MUST.

I hate to say this, but at least Bopleeny (in his infinite dumbfuckery) knew that.

Am I too simpleminded?

Problem is, we don't create turnovers. If we could pick off a couple passes or force a fumble, we might be 6-0 right now.

I see this game as no different than any of the others we've lost so far. I liked us to win every game we've played this season.

antone112

who gives a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,290.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The D is the D. We stop the run very well. We are last in passing yards, but giving up 14 fewer points per game than last year. The team giving up the most rushing yards is allowing 17 more points per game. But our lack of pass rush and inability to run block just kill us in late game situations (and play calling vs Illinois). I don't see either of those things changing unless we get better players in the o-line and at D-end. We are just too inexperienced or just plain not good enough in those units.

So I don't disagree that Tommy having success passing is the most important thing right now. It will loosen up front sevens so we are able to run the ball. If we are balanced in that way we have the opportunity to score more points and not have it come down to the things we struggle with in the end.
Sorry we are giving up 1 fewer point per game than last year. Not sure where 14 came from.

antone112

who gives a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,290.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Riley chose to have the wind at his back in the 3rd quarter in both the Illinois and Wisconsin games. He wanted the opponents to have the wind at their back in the 4th quarter.

More than a few of coaches choose wind in the 3rd.The thought being that getting momentum out of the gate would result in having control of the game going into the 4th. In both cases we scored just before half and wanted to keep that momentum going. But in both cases the offense sputtered in the 3rd.

antone112

who gives a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,290.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To add to that....

Am I too simpleminded?

Great, if it works. I just look at the instances where we've needed to run the ball and we had very little success doing it.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there is a Polar Vortex

View attachment 39500

LOL

Those fish are frozen solid. Probably 40 minutes laying on out on the ice.

BTW...That was a total SHOUT-OUT to TomHusker.

Ice fishing. The #2 way I identified with Tom.... Huskerz fer Champz being #1.

In spite of his Illogical Husker homerism, Cretin following, defender of all things evil, and supposedly stinky farts, I'd pay his SportsHoopla $ return penalty.

@HammerDown @Tomhusker..

Calmer minds would prevail.

Tips-up 2 TomHusker!!!!

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More than a few of coaches choose wind in the 3rd.The thought being that getting momentum out of the gate would result in having control of the game going into the 4th. In both cases we scored just before half and wanted to keep that momentum going. But in both cases the offense sputtered in the 3rd.
agreed. i'm pretty sure it's the most common thing to take the wind in the 3rd as opposed to giving it to the opponent in the 3rd. 1) you have to kick it into the wind so less of a chance for a touchback and 2) the other team immediately gets the ball with the wind, so have a better chance of scoring. the downside is that you'll have less time with the wind and not have it in the 4th.

personally, i think you kick it into the wind and take your chances with the wind in the 4th. wonder if that stat is kept anywhere?

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem is, we don't create turnovers. If we could pick off a couple passes or force a fumble, we might be 6-0 right now.

I see this game as no different than any of the others we've lost so far. I liked us to win every game we've played this season.

53b0451f49406952107875ea6ac6ceeba16f21dff63312004c9820d0112f8821.jpg

However, you can balance that out by not turning the ball over yourself. T.O.'s original offensive philosophy (60's) was throwing the ball. Devaney didn't like it and made him change.
T.O. only understood 'why' after he became the HC himself. He's on record stating that throwing the ball increases the chances for turnovers.

Throw Baylor up there as a counter debate. Baylor is not on the Northern Plains or the Midwest.

This is about playing football per the environment that gives you the best chance to win. A mailman can figure that out.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be interesting to see a list of heartbreaking losses that went down to the wire for Husker fans since the hiring of Callahan.

Just to kinda put it all into perspective. I swear nobody has went through as many as us.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 39599

However, you can balance that out by not turning the ball over yourself. T.O.'s original offensive philosophy (60's) was throwing the ball. Devaney didn't like it and made him change.
T.O. only understood 'why' after he became the HC himself. He's on record stating that throwing the ball increases the chances for turnovers.

Throw Baylor up there as a counter debate. Baylor is not on the Northern Plains or the Midwest.

This is about playing football per the environment that gives you the best chance to win. A mailman can figure that out.

Right on cue with a smartass response

:dance:

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great, if it works. I just look at the instances where we've needed to run the ball and we had very little success doing it.

Just do it cot-dammit. Do it for 4 quarters.

It doesn't need to be pretty. Athlete on Athlete. Just win and move a step forward to bowl eligibility. Do not take a loss. DO NOT!!!

Start Ozigbo and feed him 30 times. He has the best (per rush) average (6.9) at RB. That tells me he has the best field vision. The best 'hit the hole' mentality. I don't care if Newby has the most playbook knowledge, and can pass block better. He's too hesitant when they feed him. GO MF'er.
Other than Janovich, you have to get to WR's on sweeps to get a better rushing average. Keep the jet sweeps, (you've had success there), but stop the pass happy BS.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be interesting to see a list of heartbreaking losses that went down to the wire for Husker fans since the hiring of Callahan.

Just to kinda put it all into perspective. I swear nobody has went through as many as us.

And it all boils down to fundamentals, discipline, and giving the team it's best chance to win. The Husker head coaches since T.O. haven't been able to put ALL of those ingredients together.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right on cue with a smartass response

:dance:

Truth hurts.

Losing the turnover margin is putting the team at a disadvantage regarding wins.

Deny that.

Put some sunshine and rainbows on the west coast offense. Kool-Aid the Mo'Fo.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WHELL KNOW SHIT SURELOCK!!!!

So do you think it's a good idea to throw the ball 30 times a game, with a porous O-Line, and a QB who's forced into trying to make something happen within the system?

We know the Huskers don't create turnovers. So limit the opportunities of turning it over themselves.
That would be a push in turnover margin where they've been failing for years.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So do you think it's a good idea to throw the ball 30 times a game, with a porous O-Line, and a QB who's forced into trying to make something happen within the system?

From the beginning of this season I have stated my concerns with this pass happy shit.

The Illinois game took the cake on retardedness. I literally would have called a better game myself.

Against Wisconsin I felt like the gameplan Offensively was great. Tommy couldn't hit a simple screen pass though.

I also don't like this RB by committee thing we're doing. Give Ozigbo 20 carries and stop fucking around.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep running Jano though too.

I honestly don't know about Jano being the #1 RB. That style works for Iowa sometimes, but Iowa sucks ass nationally. They always have. I do not want to become the proverbial fail that is Iowa.

Being a bull for 4 quarters has it's benefits, but find a guy who has some field vision, and can make people miss.

Jano is a FB. Give him a pop now and then to keep the defense honest. If the opponent loses focus it'll cost them huge.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly don't know about Jano being the #1 RB. That style works for Iowa sometimes, but Iowa sucks ass nationally. They always have. I do not want to become the proverbial fail that is Iowa.

Being a bull for 4 quarters has it's benefits, but find a guy who has some field vision, and can make people miss.

Jano is a FB. Give him a pop now and then to keep the defense honest. If the opponent loses focus it'll cost them huge.

Yea I don't like lining him up at RB at all. Not one bit.

I just love giving him the ball as a FB. It has proven effective and I think we need to keep doing it. Defenses have kinda forgotten about FBs and it seems like it catches teams off guard.

Plus he's a beast of a runner.